Tobacco Tax Revenues in Canada

Came across this on the net.  A per Province breakdown of total tobacco revenues across all tobacco product types from 1990 - 2016.

In short. For a country of ~30 million, taxing tobacco has brought in billions per years to government coffers.

In 2016 total Provincial and Federal taxes have brought in $8.3 Billion.

Link to PDF Tables

Page 3 has a breakdown of cigarettes, cigars, pipe, etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bundwallah said:

Came across this on the net.  A per Province breakdown of total tobacco revenues across all tobacco product types from 1990 - 2016.

In short. For a country of ~30 million, taxing tobacco has brought in billions per years to government coffers.

Link to PDF Tables

I have no words. 

My City Chicago, Illinois, USA, is trying very hard to catch-up to the Canadian tax standard down here.  One of the most corrupt, worst run cities in the world. Oh, and did I mention we are tops in big city murder rate as well?

4 hours ago, Doctorossi said:

Cigar taxation rates in Canada are mind-boggling.

You should see the Tax rates here ? well just look at robs 24/24 US $V AU$ that says it all 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Buck14 said:

My City Chicago, Illinois, USA, is trying very hard to catch-up to the Canadian tax standard down here.  One of the most corrupt, worst run cities in the world. Oh, and did I mention we are tops in big city murder rate as well?

Also the "rattiest". 

Even though I have not come close to exploring the entire USA, not even close, Chicago is still my favorite Summer city.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bundwallah said:

Link to PDF Tables

Which of course is far from the total tax take.

On top of the direct tobacco taxes, there are local, sate and federal taxes on all tobacco-related businesses.  Then there are income taxes paid by all those employees of those firms...

Things are just as bad in New Zealand - possibly even more so.  The taxation rate is increased up to a couple of times a year.  Duty free allowances currently (and this "privilege" could be downgraded further before too long) only permit up to 50 grams of cigars accompanying the person bringing them in being exempted from duty.  There are no exemptions for cigars coming in by mail.  Yes, Customs do charge for only ONE cigar, even if it is a gift!