Suggestions on: Monte No.2 Petit, No.4 or Petit Edmundo

Stepping outside the box here/normal routine. I know these really are against the grain for "average" recommendations, but what do you guys think about these? There are some 08-10 and current boxes out there. Any suggestions on years that are better, worse, yay, nay etc?

Thanks.

Monte PE, feel confident in buying blind from any code from any year. They have been consistent and delicious for many years. If I had a choice to buy 2008 vs 2016 boxes, I would absolutely do 2016 and age them myself. 

I personally am not a fan of the Petit 2, although some of the OR are starting to come around a bit. Not worth it imo.

Monte 4 is hit and miss. Love the size, hate the inconsistency. At least they are usually in the $130-150 range, so its not a huge risk.

• Like 4

I have not had the PE, I'm not keen on fat and short cigars, so I can't compare. 

I bought a sampler of the Petite MC2, and I was quite disappointed in them, in fact I was really turned off with them. I definitely would not buy those again.  

The MC 4 have been wonderful, absolutely delicious. All the ones I've had in recent production since 2013 have been excellent and very reliable for me, they are my favorite PC at this point.

• Like 1

Guest Nekhyludov

I can't speak to the Petits, but I was tempted into buying a PRA NOV 11 box of Monte 4s, because ... well, aged Montes! Why not? They were OK. Not great. When I see aged boxes of very, very high production sticks (Monte 4, PSD4, etc.) I generally assume that they've just sat around because they're lackluster boxes. 

If I were in the market for Monte 4s now, I would take @Philc2001s advice and just look for high quality recent production.

@shlomo hit the nail on the head for me! The Petit No.2 is also not a cigar that does anything for me, I wouldn't be inclined to buy a Montecristo No.4 blind, but I would take a chance on a 2008 Montecristo Petit Edmundo. (Mainly because, as I write this, I have such good memories of the last 2008 Petit Edmundo I smoked a month ago! :D)

A great Monte 4 is my favorite of that bunch. But I prefer an average PE to an average No. 4. I think it has something to do with the wrapper-to-filler ratio. You’re going to notice a subpar wrapper on a a No. 4 much more than on a PE because it makes up a higher percentage of the total tobacco. 

Like others, for me the Petit No.2 just doesn't do much. However I haven't smoked more than a couple so perhaps may not be the best one to judge. The Montecristo No.4 is one of my favourite cigars though! I always keep a stock in my humidor and find that they are one of the cigars I smoke most regularly. I have bought blind before without any issues, but it would seem as though I have been lucky in this regard as many have had different experiences. The PE is a great cigar, although I don't typically smoke that size cigar. I know it's not on your list, but don't discount the Montecristo Media Corona which I prefer to the PE!

Why this particular selection? Is that what's available to you? Bought blind, instead of the No.4, I'd grab the No.3, or, if you are looking for a shorter smoke, the No.5. Much better consistency there, same blend. A classic No.3 is what would really be "against the grain".  ;)

• Like 3

I'll start this off with a caveat that the #4 is one of my go-to cigars. I've only had a couple of the petite edmundos. They didn't impress me as I'm not really into the short fatties. 

I'd go with the 4 here but the quality can be in question buying blind. That's just my personal preference. 

14 hours ago, Fugu said:

Why this particular selection? Is that what's available to you? Bought blind, instead of the No.4, I'd grab the No.3, or, if you are looking for a shorter smoke, the No.5. Much better consistency there, same blend. A classic No.3 is what would really be "against the grain".  ;)

It's no secret that I'm turning a corner with my Punch addiction, and Montecristo seems to be my methadone fix. The Monte No 3 is a delightful classic corona, and the No 5 is a lovely and delicious short smoke. Along with the No 1 and No 4, they round out my pursuit in the brand. Loaded with a supply of these I can be ship wrecked on a deserted island and not miss any other vitola.  My order of preference would be No 1, No 3, No 5, No 4. However, since the OPs options are limited to aged (2008-2010) boxes of PE, No 4 and Petite No 2, he needs a vote on the three in question. 

6 hours ago, Philc2001 said:

However, since the OPs options are limited to aged (2008-2010) boxes of PE, No 4 and Petite No 2, he needs a vote on the three in question.

Yep, I am aware of that. But as someone who likes to think off a laid-out path, I am simply questioning.

No one is truly "limited" in his decision what to buy. So restricting himself to that particular selection, just because he can get hold of pre-aged boxes as it seems, might be the critical aspect in the first place.

31 minutes ago, Fugu said:

Yep, I am aware of that. But as someone who likes to think off a laid-out path, I am simply questioning.

No one is truly "limited" in his decision what to buy. So restricting himself to that particular selection, just because he can get hold of pre-aged boxes as it seems, might be the critical aspect in the first place.

Agreed. And certainly, I personally would take an MC #3 over any of the 3 listed.

If the OP is looking outside the title scope, there is a whole world of other options. Even strictly within the Monte marquee, there are contenders that would probably get higher billing, i.e. the MC #1, MC Especial, MC Especial #2, MC A, MC Tubos, and of course MC #2, #3, #5, etc.  Monte is one of the broader marquees in current production, and most recent production is pretty darn good (except the petite #2, which I did not like). 

4 hours ago, Philc2001 said:

If the OP is looking outside the title scope, there is a whole world of other options.

Well, the suggested No. 3 and 5 are as close as one can get to the enquired No.4...

Anyway, seems OP isn't much interested in this thread anymore anyway.

I’ve had better results with the PE than with the #4, and I’ve never had the Petit #2. 

The PE is consistent and dependable for me. I just ordered another box from the current 24:24 based on my experience with my current 2015 box.  

I’ve only had one box of #4, but they vary in quality and taste even within the same box. First a good smoke, then a dud, then a great one, etc. 

I’m a Monte PE fan. Love the flavor profile . My favorite Monte. That being said, you can’t judge the PEs on one or two tries. They are a funny cigar. For me if I try a stick from a box and it’s on, the whole box is on. But the same is true the other way. I had a box from 14 which is a great year. But this particular box, every time I try one it’s off. Bitter . I have tried about 10 and no shit every one is the same. Bitter.

Anyway, when they are on, and for me most are, they are increadable