Next Level Man Caves

On 10/22/2017 at 8:29 PM, Fuzz said:

My billiards table (a Heiron & Smith 10 footer) looks exactly like this one. Pity the room doesn't!

It's interesting that you call a pocket pool table a billiards table.  What do you call a pocket-less table? 

Does everyone in OZ use the same terminology as you?  Come to think of it, I haven't met any Aussie players I can recall . . . .

2 hours ago, RickHendeson said:

It's interesting that you call a pocket pool table a billiards table.  What do you call a pocket-less table? 

Definitely not from Oz...Texas actually, and here we use “billiards” as a generic term for all cue sport tables. When it comes to specific game types, we use pool or snooker for pocket games and carom for pocketless games. But if you ask someone if they play pool or billiards, 99.9% of the time, we’re referring to 8 or 9 ball. 

• Like 1

When I moved into my place, I didn't have space for a man cave, so the living room became my man cave.
I kept it clean but still smoked cigars while sitting on my couch watching a movie. It was my house and I'd learned a few tricks to keep the long term smoke smells to a minimum.

When my missus moved in, it became decidedly less "man cave" like
"Do you really need to have all your hunting bows hanging up?"
"Maybe you should put your shotguns in the safe when you're not using them"
"Do you really need 4 ash trays in the living room?"
"Why do you have a waste paper basket full of arrows?"
"Can I hang a couple of 'nice' pictures up?"
"Lets put the mini fridge outside, the actual fridge is only in the next room"
"Why are there car parts everywhere? I'm sure that melted piston is cool but isn't it a bit of a dust collector?"
"No, that's where the cat scratching post is going to go"

In her defense, it is a much nicer looking room now and she's added a couple of cabinets to house all my dust collectors (hunting trophies, Empty Cigar Jars, Car parts ect) so I spose its not all bad
She did try to tell me I could smoke in the living room anymore, that actually started our first fight which she eventually conceded to me

• Like 2

Been there done that. I lost Smoking in the carport. Besides with all my gun stuff car parts detailing supplies liquior and 6 humidor there is no room for ashtrays?

18 hours ago, retrofail said:

Definitely not from Oz...Texas actually, and here we use “billiards” as a generic term for all cue sport tables. When it comes to specific game types, we use pool or snooker for pocket games and carom for pocketless games. But if you ask someone if they play pool or billiards, 99.9% of the time, we’re referring to 8 or 9 ball. 

Yeah I'm American myself and know how we do things (sloppy as always LOL).  Fuzz is from Oz I believe though and I found this interesting.  Most English/Brits I hear say "billiards" mean billiards, "snooker" gets a lot of use when it's the game in question obviously and also as a generic, and sometimes "pool."  I'd be interested to know if "billiards" is a mainstay generic term in Australia like it is in the US

• Like 1

OK Rob,

I am doing everything I can to get you here to Florida for a visit.  I can't take appropriate pictures due to the (intentionally) dim lighting, but I was able to do a short video of my room at home.  I have been fortunate to have several FOH members down to visit, hopefully more will come down.  Take a look and enjoy...

https://youtu.be/DaUY8S3rPMQ

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, edameff said:

OK Rob,

I am doing everything I can to get you here to Florida for a visit.  I can't take appropriate pictures due to the (intentionally) dim lighting, but I was able to do a short video of my room at home.  I have been fortunate to have several FOH members down to visit, hopefully more will come down.  Take a look and enjoy...

https://youtu.be/DaUY8S3rPMQ

Wow!! ??

• Like 2

I have a man cave in our barn. Living quarters up stairs with bathroom, extra bedroom, living room, wife's woman cave, game room for boys. Great for parties. I have had 7-8 guys smoking in the cave at one time and the wife didn't complain about smoke outside of the room. 14" exhaust fan does the trick.

I don't know how to post pics or I would. Small room but adequate for what I need and want.