Would you be inclined to purchase more +52 gauge cigars if they came in a tapered end?

Size   

159 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Is there a reason why more 52+ gauge cigars aren't produced with a tapered cap ala belicosos/piramides etal. 

I mean....there is never any shortage of Cuaba and seldom of BBF or La Punta. 

It can't be about "history/tradition" as Habanos s.a has shown little homage to either. 

Let me raise a question with you. 

Would you be more inclined to purchase a 52+ gauge cigar if it has a tapered cap. 

Have a crack at the poll for me but feel free to expand . :ok:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I guess the question should be whats the point of 48rg+ cigars? and in terms of the mechanics of a cigar, or it's functionality, there is no reason whatsoever for plus 48rg cigars. I've never enj

I enjoy cigars up to 60 RG, and I've never, not once had a sore mouth or jaw. What are you guys doing to these cigars to cause so much discomfort?? Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

No.  My beef with larger RG is the smaller wrapper to filler ratio, not so much the hand feel, although with the smaller RG that is a bonus in my opinion. As I understand it (please chime in with diss

Absolutely. My main problem with larger RGs is the comfort. Actual physical, not Freudian.

As long as the roll wasn't too loose with too much smoke, then it's all good. Either way I like a slightly angled straight cut on a tapered head.

• Like 1

Yes, larger ring gauge cigars would be more palatable to me with a tapered head.

Commissioning a new RE Rob?

Ultimately it's the length that I find more off-putting than the ring gauge.  Of the 32 current production cigars that have a ring gauge of 52+, 8 are 120mm or shorter in length.  And it's the current trend towards these short, fat, stumpy little cigars that really irks me as they just never feel like they are in proportion.  I'll take a petit corona over a petit robusto any day, especially when they are so much cheaper with a similar smoking time.  A tapered end is not going to make any difference here.

• Like 1

52rg doesn't bother me so much

Anything north of 55 does get my jaw hurting after a while
I've smoked a number of NC piramdes that start at 60rg and then taper down to something more manageable and I find them to be less of an effort to smoke

In a similar vein, if find box pressing large rg sticks helps to ease the pain too

No.  My beef with larger RG is the smaller wrapper to filler ratio, not so much the hand feel, although with the smaller RG that is a bonus in my opinion. As I understand it (please chime in with dissenting view) larger RG cigars require more tobacco with good burn qualities (flavorless) as opposed to leaves with better flavor qualities.  Again, just my understanding, as well as my personal experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I prefer a larger ring.  I will never buy a petite corona...scroll right past them. Regardless of flavor, the feel in the hand and heft are just as important.

• Like 1

While I enjoy a good pyramides there aren’t any other >52rg cigars that I smoke with any regularity. If a petit robusto and a petit corona take a similar time for me to smoke then I essentially pay the higher price for the extra RG of the robusto, which I don’t really want anyway! When tobacco taxes are by weight a large rg cigar can be quite a premium.

While there are some very good larger RG cigars, I am yet to be convinced that the larger size adds anything to the flavour or complexity of a cigar. Tapering the end would make it more comfortable in the mouth for me, but i don’t think it would be enough to get me to buy more. 

• Like 1

52g is a begrudging exception for me, because I like some cigars in the Edmundo size. I do like the pyramid size though because the tapered end makes it comfortable to hold and smoke. Anything greater in size definitely needs to have a tapered end or my jaw hurts and I feel like I have a baseball bat shoved in my mouth.  Like some others have said, I'm not convinced anything bigger than 52g adds much to the flavour profile or complexity anyway.

The 109 is a good idea - I would like to see more cigars produced like this with a subtle taper to ease the gauge off at the mouth.

• Like 1

I enjoy cigars up to 60 RG, and I've never, not once had a sore mouth or jaw. What are you guys doing to these cigars to cause so much discomfort??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Why... my first though Rob ....Mag 54 56 bloody marvellous.... is the delivery any different ...to right it is ...having smoked probably 40 mag 54  and a cab of 56....the more the cigar is coming toward the end... I tend to bite down on them.... smacking with flavour ...I would not even entertain the thought of doing that to a Monte 2 or BBF....different animals...I caress tapered cigars.... fat cigars which I love equally....I am a pig .. :)

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of such grossly exaggerated ring gauge cigars. I could probably tolerate them more with tapered head, but that just obscures the trend toward fatter cigars. I keep wondering why Cuba is moving in this direction. Is there such an excess of tobacco that they have to make fatter cigars to use it all? I think not since many classic smaller ring cigars have been axed in past decade. 

In parejo shapes below 48 ring from the TPC to the Lonsdale formats all seem to have plenty of flavor without getting into such enormous girth. I'd much rather see the Cubans reduce the girth, and focus on spreading the quality tobacco they have available to more classic shapes and sizes across a broader range of cigars rather than put in more tobacco into big guns that are aimed at conflating a fad. 

I know I'm just whining to a deaf and disinterested enterprise, but I can't help it. I'll go down fighting to the bitter end... which seems to be just around the corner :(

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, 99call said:

I guess the question should be whats the point of 48rg+ cigars? and in terms of the mechanics of a cigar, or it's functionality, there is no reason whatsoever for plus 48rg cigars.

I've never enjoyed 'more' flavour out of a bigger cigar, quite the opposite. It's possible to make big cigars that are flavoursome, that smoke well, Mag 56 etc, but i'm guessing their is a fist full of tobacco in those things that could be left on the rollers table, and they'd still be enjoyable.

Big cigars, serve the purpose of being big cigars, for people who like big cigars.  I'm not having a go at them, theres nothing inherently wrong with that, but they don't serve any purpose other than show............not go.

Just my opinion

Agree completely. Huge RG cigars exude more presence and say "look at me, I'm a big cigar!". There is so much filler tobacco in these monsters, I have no idea how they could have any discernable flavor. They are a total deal breaker and I won't smoke them. 42 Ring petit coronas and 50 ring robustos are still my staples, and I don't see that ever changing.

I honestly think this is no purpose in any other size of cigar other than the following

Minuto, Petit corona, Corona, hermoso no 4, Lonsdale, Laguito No.1, Double Corona. 

The only cigar shape that isn't in current production that I think would be a great addition. is the 'Fancy Tales of smoke'  wonderful for ageing, basically a lonsdale but with  closed head, closed foot.  

partagas_fancy_tales.gif.f16b8d4ad16844c24537bd1ff68da87c 2.gif

• Like 2

I'll smoke a 52 gauge cigar but that's about the largest size I'm interested in.  I like the old sizes, may be because that's what I've become accustomed to. The Siglo VI is a good example. Sure, they are fantastic and I won't throw one away, but I love the 4 and 3 and don't find the six more satisfying. The idea that a fat cigar is a good cigar is nonsense. I think there is something to the idea that fat cigars are masculine and thin cigars are feminine and the trend to fat cigars is catering to some kind of machismo.

• Like 1

Big gauge cigars need the length to off set it; so yes a tappered head is just what the doctor ordered.  I love Salomones, Diademas, Padrinos, and the like, but unless length is there I wouldn't consider it.  Getting the draw right on the shorter fat cigars is tough.  They go out too easy if underfilled which they often are, or are flavorless...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, El Presidente said:

It can't be about "history/tradition" as Habanos s.a has shown little homage to either.

It may not be about history or tradition for Habanos S. A., but it is for me. In other words, my motivations follow an interest in traditional sizes, so whether I want to buy a 52+ gauge cigar has more to do with the provenance of the vitola itself and less to do with comfort or a preference built on the feel or aesthetic of one physical size over another. As such, a tapered head would only interest me if original to the size.

So, for example, I would be interested in a production Maravilla (55RG), but not really in the new Maravilla #2 (also 55RG) vitola. 

I agree that the smaller CCs have more concentration ,I do not have many 50 or 52 rg ,mostly #2 vitola.

The taper head on these is a blessing.

Not really interested in any larger cigars. 

• Like 1