Would you be inclined to purchase more +52 gauge cigars if they came in a tapered end?

Size   

159 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I guess the question should be whats the point of 48rg+ cigars? and in terms of the mechanics of a cigar, or it's functionality, there is no reason whatsoever for plus 48rg cigars. I've never enj

I enjoy cigars up to 60 RG, and I've never, not once had a sore mouth or jaw. What are you guys doing to these cigars to cause so much discomfort?? Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

No.  My beef with larger RG is the smaller wrapper to filler ratio, not so much the hand feel, although with the smaller RG that is a bonus in my opinion. As I understand it (please chime in with diss

Definite yes for me. There are a number of figurados with larger RGs that I enjoy. Hell, the Oliva V torpedo is a 56, and a wonderful cigar. I am not as picky as some when it comes to thicker smokes, but I do not enjoy the way a parejo 60 RG cigar feels in the mouth

Of course, if it's a continuation of the trend towards short and fat and expensive, a tapered head isn't going to bail out the poor value.

Probably not. A fat cigar doesn’t produce any advantage to producing a better blend. I hate loose rolls or having to puff 3-5 times just to keep a cigar going. With the elevated price points, my interest is lost.

5 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Getting the draw right on the shorter fat cigars is tough.  They go out too easy if underfilled which they often are, or are flavorless...

This is my main trouble with the larger ring gauges. I have a difficult time keeping a good burn. Although it’s often due to crap construction. It’s much more relaxing for me to sip on smaller cigars than wage battle with the big guys. 

I see a taper more as an appearance/comfort fix, but not sure it would be mechanically appropriate. For example I’m skeptical that putting a 42rg opening on a 55rg cigar will make it as pleasant as just smoking a 42rg cigar. You still need to pull more air to properly combust the 55rg lart of the cigar. More smoke through narrower opening seems like a recipe for tar build up. 

If I want a narrower opening on my cigar, then I think the length/rg should be complementary to that and not just an appeasement.   

There are standouts for me like the Partagas E2 and Hoyo San Juan which both have excellent flavour. Those I make an exception for and like to have a few every now and then, but for the most part I camp out in the under 50 rg realm. 

• Like 1

There is two (actually three) aspects to it for me. Not only is it the mouth feel ("jaw breaker"), and I am not much clenching cigars anyway, but it is more the draw feel of it. A wider cigar, even if properly rolled, needs more volume being drawn through it than a narrower one, with triple, quadruple, quintuple... volume-puffs needed to keep the wrapper lit and maintaining an even burn, while at the same time quickly overloading the air with steaming clouds of smoke (I am "allowed" to smoke indoors...;)). I just don't dig that insatiably pumping, "suckling" type of treatment necessary. Apart from aspects of blending wider-girth cigars, I prefer the usually more effortless smoking experience provided by more slender cigars, in particular if they are properly rolled, coming with the tighter draw I prefer. There has been a reason, I think, why for a very long time - well into the new millennium - a 49RG (DC) vitola had been the widest standard ring gauge in a parejo, and even that had always been looked at as an exceptional smoke for special occasions only.

While I do like the occasional Monte2, HU2, a BBF or the SP Beli, I have to recognize those are not my go-to formats of their respective brands (or better put "have been" in the case of SP). But a taper can ease the comfort that's true, and without it I couldn't easily smoke Rodolfos or Salomones. But I fear, even with a wider portfolio of tapered-head cigars, that will not much affect my preferred selection of cigars. Love the figurado for a change of pace but I am a parejo kind of guy I think. That said - a LGC Flechas I'll grab in no time.  :P

• Like 2

Rob, if Habanos S.A. marketed a Nro 109 cigar (50 ring gauge x 184 mm) like the Diplomáticos Bushidos or Sancho Panza Eslavo slightly bigger, it may pique my interest, but otherwise no unless it's a superlatively blended cigar.

8 hours ago, PigFish said:

....NO....

If not perfectly clear! PM me!

-Piggy

1 minute ago, Sean3 said:

Don't hold back Mr. Piggy, tell us how you really feel!  

I'm tempted to PM just to see Piggy's reply! :D :lol:

• Like 1

Coming from somewhat of a rookie, I do enjoy the larger ring gauge. I agree with rob that a tapered end, being able to cut at a more comfortable point would be more desirable.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Masterful blending can produce a great tasting cigar at ring gauges as small as 26, half of the size in question. There are many, many outstanding cigars in ring gauges well below the 52 ring size, begging the question whether the excess filler in such fat cigars adds to the flavor, or does it dilute it?  

I am OK with larger ring gauges much more so with tapered ends, but I don't personally see a lot of point going above ~48 RG in general.  Is a Churchill not good enough?

For CC, where we mostly pay for the weight of tobacco, the smaller gauges seem to generally bring more bang for the buck (hours smoke per dollar).  What makes the most sense IMO is more corona and CG--though I am pretty happy with PC in general.

All I ask for is a Upmann Half Corona in a 4.5" (or dare I ask 5") length.  "Half Corona Plus"?  (Maybe I am biased by a couple of exceptional boxes of half coronas.)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, yhomas said:

I am OK with larger ring gauges much more so with tapered ends, but I don't personally see a lot of point going above ~48 RG in general.  Is a Churchill not good enough?

For CC, where we mostly pay for the weight of tobacco, the smaller gauges seem to generally bring more bang for the buck (hours smoke per dollar).  What makes the most sense IMO is more corona and CG--though I am pretty happy with PC in general.

All I ask for is a Upmann Half Corona in a 4.5" (or dare I ask 5") length.  "Half Corona Plus"?  (Maybe I am biased by a couple of exceptional boxes of half coronas.)

Yeah, I'd love some PCs or even regular coronas with just a slightly thicker diameter. Like the Trinidad Coloniales. I had a NC corona the other night. 5.5x44. God, that size is so perfect.

I like a Lonsdale the most. I will go to a MAG 56 or such if the execution is top notch.I have also been told a blend like the 56 cannot be achieved in a smaller ring guage.

A torpedo is a nice trade off and I enjoy most that are currently produced.

Maybe someone can make a mouth piece to jam on these big jawbreakers?:D

I don’t have any boxes of CC above 50 RG and generally do not even go for singles above that range.  It has been my experience that figurados suffer from a higher incidence of “firm draw syndrome” which too frequently requires me to extend my blade cut to the true main body RG of the cigar thus defeating the whole purpose of the figurado experience.  Given that I find myself having to cut 1/2 to 1 inch off figurados I ask myself what in the hell am I paying the premium price for.

I would NOT pay more for a large RG cigar with a tapered end I WOULD PAY LESS.

If I decide to go BIG RG, I’m selecting a Parejo and will exercise my face muscles.

I wonder about the technical advantages working with a larger ring gauge gives to the blender and roller. I understand that below a certain cigar diameter, blending a complex tasting cigar might be an issue even if working with half leaves (might also be difficult to assemble/roll).

I also understand that beyond a certain diameter, more volado needs to be used to maintain combustibility of the finished product.

At what point increasing cigar diameter becomes pointless regarding the blend's complexity as perceived by the smoker...