LCDH Montreal - Vintage Cigars

Hello,

I went to the LCDH in Montreal for the first time in years (8-10) and checked out the vintage section.  They had a decent selection of vintage regulars - including many discontinued vitolas - ELs and REs.  I naturally expected prices to be insanely high.  Suprisingly, it was the opposite!  When I asked the guy why there was no premium on vintage cigars he told me that most of his customers prefer "fresh" cigars and that they sometimes have to sell some 10-15 year old cigars at a discount!!   

I didn't buy anything, but let's just say I will not wait another 10 years to return... just in case I stumble upon an old favourite of mine one day.

Have you noticed anything like it in other Canadian LCDH or is this just another thing that makes Quebec so special? 

reminds me of the time I visited a shop in Malta in 2011 (PS - easy to figure out which one, there's only one retailer)......they had a box of 2005 Monte Especiales on the shelf. When I asked the price, they took 50% off because it was "old stock".  It ended up being something crazy like 100 Euros for a 25 box LOL!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shlomo said:

No. But there are Punch cigars available at many othems B+Ms around.

Are they from the same importer?  I thought Punch was not imported to Canada at all.  Is that not the case?

9 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Are they from the same importer?  I thought Punch was not imported to Canada at all.  Is that not the case?

There is only one importer of Cubans for Canada and, to my knowledge, they could not import Punch to Canada for a long time... More details below.

ChanceSchmerr

• Prominentes
  •  
  • ChanceSchmerr
  • Members
  •  
  • 1,993 posts
  On 08/10/2012 at 10:24 PM, El Presidente said:

I was with tmac77 in Toronto last year at one of the local B&M's. Just a leisurely afternoon walk after lunch and a few cigars. I can't remember the name of the store but there was a box of Punch Black Prince on the bottom shelf a full decade after discontinuation.

Says it all.

Going to reply fully to the post, but to clarify this (because the same thing happened in Victoria here - Multiple boxes of Punch Black Princes showed up on the shelves of a B&M).......The reason some discontinued Punches showed up magically in Canada recently (last couple of years) was because of a Trademark ruling that prevented Cuban Punch Cigars from being sold in North America (IE Canada along with U.S.) since the Dominican "Punch" Brand owners won a lawsuit to that effect. The ruling was eventually overturned/expired, and when it did, the Canadian Distributors were allowed to distribute Punch cigars again.....but in the meantime, their stock was now vintage, as they had not returned the Punch boxes they had originally picked up years ago, they'd instead just waited for the ruling to be overturned.

That's why you could find Black Princes in Canada until recently. You can still find other discontinued Punches here, including Margaritas, Churchills, Petit Punches, RS 12's.....The only problem is - who wants to pay $350 for a box of Punch Petit Punches?!?!?! Damn taxes! :tantrum:

• Like 1