BOVEDA on top of cigars?

gmalafouris

I like to seal My boxes with a ziplock and boveda for long time storage, and then put them in a humidor.

I noticed in a ziplock where i had put 1 boveda 65% inside the box and one between the ziplock and the outside of the box, that the boveda inside dried out and the one on the outside was still humid.

So im thinking i should put all bovedas inside My boxes but are concerned that the cigars Will get mold if the boveda get in fysical contact with the cigars for like 5-15 years.

Any experience about this in the group?

Ive got 22 degrees celsius at home... and No alternative to lower the temp:(

Thanks.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

2 hours ago, gmalafouris said:

Mhm, and can they be on top of the cigars, on the same spot för 20 years?.....

Nobody can answer that with any certainty. 

Personally I would never seal a boveda inside a box of Cigars for any length of time. Too many risks. Just control your temp and rH in your Humidor itself.

• Like 2

Nobody can answer that with any certainty. 
Personally I would never seal a boveda inside a box of Cigars for any length of time. Too many risks. Just control your temp and rH in your Humidor itself.

Could do that, but i really love boxes that has been in sealed bags for 10 years+. Aroma like a horse kick and it prolongs Their lifetime (to smoke)

2 hours ago, gmalafouris said:

Mhm, and can they be on top of the cigars, on the same spot för 20 years?.....

I don’t think a Boveda pack will remain functional for anywhere near that long. Aren’t they only good for a few years at best?

put your cigars in the ziplock and control the RH around them.

I have done this for years, and have no problems with dried out or damaged Bovedas, and the cigars do fine.

I do check mine twice yearly just to be sure and sleep well at night.............;) 

put your cigars in the ziplock and control the RH around them.
I have done this for years, and have no problems with dried out or damaged Bovedas, and the cigars do fine.
I do check mine twice yearly just to be sure and sleep well at night............. 

Thats what i do to, but when i found a box that had a dried out boveda inside the box and a humid one on the outside im thinking that it takes time for the humidity to get in the box from the outside. But to be honest i didnt let the specific box of cigars rest in My humidor after i got the box, before i put it in the ziplock. So probably the cigars was a bit dried out when i got them.

I should have mentioned, No Boveda in the ziplock.

Or in the box.

Control the air OUTSIDE the ziplock.

This way all the cigars in all the bags will be protected.

Could do that, but i really love boxes that has been in sealed bags for 10 years+. Aroma like a horse kick and it prolongs Their lifetime (to smoke)

If you want to do that, place a boveda outside your box and just a air tight food grade vacuum seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to do that, place a boveda outside your box and just a air tight food grade vacuum seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats how i do it allready. I think that would be fine, if i leave new arrived boxes rest in the right RH for 4-8 weeks before i put them in plastic.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...