Freezing Cigars

Do any of you guys freeze your cigars before putting them in your humidor?  I’ve never done this, should I start?  Now that I have a Aristocrat MXT and will be buying boxes I’m wondering if I should freeze or put them straight in?

Thanks 

Jon

27 minutes ago, Jon11 said:

Do any of you guys freeze your cigars before putting them in your humidor?  I’ve never done this, should I start?  Now that I have a Aristocrat MXT and will be buying boxes I’m wondering if I should freeze or put them straight in?

Thanks 

Jon

as a rule you should freeze all cigars that are bought directly in Cuba or from those vendors you dont trust 100%.

several threads about that. look for them and you will have a complete answer.

• Like 1

Me neither from Rob, but I have on a couple occasions when I see something that doesn’t look right in the way of holes or something. 24 hours in the fridge. 48 in the freezer. Then 24 hours in the fridge will kill ANY chance of an outbreak forever. The time in the fridge will ease the shock on the cigars so no split wrappers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually freeze them. A few times I haven’t, but then I’ll see a few threads in other forums showing beetle holes & it reminds me to do it. It really is little bother for me to do so, and there have been no downsides.

Living in the southern US, I freeze every box of cigars I buy and have for years   It's an expensive hobby and in the past, I have tossed some very expensive boxes of cigars in the trash can.  Even though "most" cigars these days go through a freezing process before hitting the market, for my own piece of mind, all boxes spend 3 days in my deep freezer.  If I buy or receive a bunch of singles, I will quarantine those in baggies with a Boveda and smoke them soon or, if I plan to age the singles for a while, will group the singles together and freeze them as a batch in a ziplock bag.  

• Like 1

I freeze everything, no matter the source.

1.  Insert box into a freezer bag, suck out as much air as possible with a straw

2.  Insert the above box in the bag into another freezer bag, suck out as much air as possible with a straw

3.  24 hours in the fridge

4.  96 hours (4 days) in the freezer

5.  24 hours in the fridge

6.  24 hours in the bags at room temperature

• Like 1

This subject has been done several times. As @moryc I freeze everything. No discrimination of which source, NC or CC.

FWIW boxes I got from here had bad outbreaks (my apartment gets to very high temps in summer)

I sleep easier now knowing everything gets the same treatment once I receive it.

1 hour ago, moryc said:

I freeze everything, no matter the source.

1.  Insert box into a freezer bag, suck out as much air as possible with a straw

2.  Insert the above box in the bag into another freezer bag, suck out as much air as possible with a straw

3.  24 hours in the fridge

4.  96 hours (4 days) in the freezer

5.  24 hours in the fridge

6.  24 hours in the bags at room temperature

I use to follow a similar method, but haven't froze any cigars in over a decade...

• Like 1

Had an interesting conversation with one of the top locals in Havana on the weekend who many here know, respect and love including Rob and he was clear that any boxes go through the freeze process including the ones going to local stores. Only raw materials for customs are not frozen. First time I've ever heard that.

• Like 2

Seen a few beetle holes  in boxes of reg production on the shelf in Cuba at the LCDH , obviously not frozen . Box of Party shorts in Varadero at 63 Calle was almost pure dust .

I've seen that problem in Havana as well when I asked how that could still happen I was told because customs are often stored in the humidors. In any case I still freeze what I buy their to be safe.

Always have with customs. Been thinking I need to do so with regular production as well - just too much money sitting in that cooler.

I do a looky-loo 2-3 times per year, but I've seen some horrible pictures. I actually started freezing boxes I already had, just for the peace of mind. I mean, "Cuba is Cuba haw haw haw," but do we really trust them to freeze/fumigate EVERY last box?