The Wheezydor - my custom humidor project

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I guess it’s fitting that with the end of the year upon us, so is the end of this thread!  Over the past few days, I’ve added 12v LED lights, and the intermittent fan.  I’m not quite ready to load thi

And after...

On 11/26/2017 at 10:13 PM, moteyi said:

Looking good. Have you considered using something like an aquamac 21 lip seal mounted in the carcase to give an airtight seal for the door? Not sure if they are available across the pond but guess you must have something similar. Only issue would be that it is easier to machine the groove before assembly.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

@moteyi You were reading my mind. We definitely have Aquamac 21-ish products locally, and that was considered.  That said, I found a similar weather strip product that looks to offer a near-airtight seal, but with far less bulk between cabinet and door.  I’ll keep you posted on results. 

• Like 1

First coat of finish on doors.  Starting very early on this phase as I want the finish to fully cure, avoiding any noxious fumes when put into production.

CA0636FC-3671-466E-A645-92EB663741E9.jpeg

• Like 1

Next, starting on the drawers, particularly the grooves to allow the drop-down display action.

A quick hone before getting started. Sharp chisels go a LONG way in the shop. ?

F594F584-99CE-49D6-8643-6D34D4EE0482.jpeg

• Like 1

Cleaning up the edges of the 45 degree angle.  Cedar is so soft that it is tough for me to avoid a little tear out in the grooves, but I’ll never see them once the drawers are in place. Outta sight, outta mind...

1C5C25EF-1F9B-4C5B-9E9E-1F9F5AF89F30.jpeg

72BB7EA5-CEBD-4ED2-925F-3F392B88081A.jpeg

• Like 2

Great project. Two questions if you don't mind @BTWheezy:

What are you using for the finish of the fronts?
And as for the drawer mechanics, don't you think there will likely be a lot of wear and tear, in particular at the endpoint, due to the bolt running in the slide rail of the comparatively soft wood? I had expected instead of Cedro you were perhaps going to use a hard(er) wood for the side panels holding the groves for the drawers' guide.

@Fugu Hi Fugu - as for the finish on the fronts, I'm using a water-based polyurethane product by Minwax called Polycrylic (satin finish). I chose water-based, as opposed to oil-based, in consideration of potential fumes, but mostly because water-based finishes are an irrelevant cleanup process...just rinse the brush really well and done.  None of that multi-stage solvent-based rinsing...no thanks wherever possible.

As for the drawer mechanics, that's a reasonable observation. That said, the duty cycle on these drawers will be minimal at worst.  I'm using a wooden dowel, not metal, for the drawer stop, plus I'll be using parafin to lubricate the slots.  Parafin is something my grandfather showed me way back in the day when I was looking over his shoulder and learning.  

Should have pics of the drawers completed today.  Stay tuned.

Shop playlist today will be Apple Music "Chill" station, and probably something a little more metal once the house wakes up!

• Thanks 1

Whole lotta work done today.

Started with a scuff sand of 400 grit on the doors, then a final coat of finish.  #smoothlikesade

83F30E95-B2B3-4B82-9CCC-0AD2723C6F13.jpeg

Gettin’ jiggy wit it...

Built a few jigs today to ensure consistent results, and mostly for safety.  Turns out I like my fingers.

This jig is for the relief cut on the back of the drawers.

C6BB3FEF-CB13-43BE-8601-9A80943B0B69.jpeg

This next puzzle - which resulted in this jig - was tricky.  I needed a half-circle relief cut on the drawer fronts so I can pull the drawers out.  Thought of band saw (not consistent), coping saw (not consistent and a lot of work), and other ideas.  Settled on the jig, using a 35mm Forstner bit. These bits are great...cut a clean, consistent hole...kinda like a spinning razor blade.

12808A47-13A4-45EF-ABA8-730083C03703.jpeg

Starting the drawer assembly.  This first one is considered sacrificial (if needed). Learned several years ago to prepare more pieces than you need, just in case!  ?

30FC9789-5696-414A-A988-403B3B88B9FA.jpeg

F57A9C4E-5FC5-410C-A328-B55D3E3EDE36.jpeg

The moment of truth...

Very happy with how they came out. Nice clearances on all, except one drawer is a little snug.  But that’s way better than sloppy. 

5A429F20-5C96-4767-82AC-503937C64B97.jpeg

65226BF3-392F-4C24-8F7E-99D83F1189A0.jpeg

• Like 4