The Wheezydor - my custom humidor project

Parafin (wax?) as a lubricant for the runners would risk tainting the contents wouldn't it. I'd go for candle wax.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

There are food grade paraffin waxes

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I guess it’s fitting that with the end of the year upon us, so is the end of this thread!  Over the past few days, I’ve added 12v LED lights, and the intermittent fan.  I’m not quite ready to load thi

And after...

Paraffin won’t come in contact with the cigars in any event.  And I’m only aware of paraffin to use when sealing stuff like jars of jams and jellies, which would be inherently benign.  I’m comfortable with paraffin.  

One last post for today, and a request for opinions.  Here’s a pic of one set of drawers in the case, with the frame taped in for now.  I’m not sure I like this “peekaboo” look.  Alternatively, the next pic with both drawers in the same case, leaving the other one open for all boxes.  

Which look do you like? 

If I could do it over again, I’d probably make the frame wider to cover up the drawers.  But this ship has sailed, and it’s not the end of the world. I’m an amateur anyway!

58C2658F-1D11-42DC-A012-497C8476B1BC.jpeg

9CBD03F8-1AA9-4E53-BCB6-0657C4C47AA1.jpeg

• Like 1

You may not want my opinion.....
Once all the cedar and glass is installed,it will probably look fine.
To me stacked looks great but not just one cabinet (unbalanced IMHO).
So either single both sides or two more set of drawers - I feel a "shut up ahole" coming

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Getting what you mean. I still like the single one slightly peeking over the frame better.

What you might consider to make it look more "intentional": Perhaps an option would be to get the glass matted (etched or grit-blasted) at the lower edge to exactly the hight of the drawer unit (the one inch visible, or what it is now. Or even a complete frame of frosted glass). But if I get that right you got the glass already, so might be trickier/more costly to get that done afterwards. Usually such service can be had at a decent surcharge from many suppliers.

• Like 1

@Fatshotbud Nah man...I totally want the opinions. Thanks for the symmetry observation. I think you’re right...looks unbalanced if two stacked on one side.  And if I want a “shut up asshole”, I’ll just ask my wife to make me a sandwich. ?

@Fugu Thanks...frosted glass is a good idea as well, hadn’t thought of that.  I’ve already received the tempered glass, so going to keep it as is. But thanks and a good suggestion!

@rcarlson Fantastic idea to raise the drawers up, and put humidifcation below the drawers.  Truth be told, I’m a huge fan of Boveda packs, and sliding a couple 320g’s below deck should solve the peekaboo conundrum, the symmetry problem, and the humidifcation necessity.

Crowd sourcing a solution!  Thanks all!

Got the cases lined with cedar tonight, and set the drawers in for a look.

With the idea to raise up the drawers, I’m going to look into small fans that might fit in the space as well.  I have power directly behind these cases, so wiring it in would be a snap.  Also, the added heat from operation of a small fan is actually a good thing for me: the man cave can get in the low 60’s when I’m not home (work travel).  That said, temperature, fans, and humidity is a rabbit hole that scares me. ?

8EC30F85-EF7B-4907-AB38-44E03BB9D4A5.jpeg

• Like 3

I personally like the peakaboo. That way you can see the full box that sits on the shelf. Otherwise if it drops below then you can only see a portion of the box sitting on the shelf.

I like it just the way it is. But it’s not my humidor. Excellent work mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think that you will really notice the drawers once the top sections are loaded up - it only stands out at the moment because they are empty. Maybe stick a few cabs or boxes in and see what you think then.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Work again hampering progress this week, but I did get the Aventos lift system figured out on scrap wood, and it is smooth and strong and sassssexy!

Building more template jigs to ensure perfect fit the first time, cuz that’s the fun part for me. Should be able to update with pics tomorrow or Friday.

Just in time for some 24:24 action arriving at the house! ?

Mounting the main lift system.  Stressed on the spacing, alignment...all the things.  Basically have one shot on this, cuz soft wood and if I need to redrill holes, they’ll be really close to previous ones, and the do-over holes would creep into the originals.  In other words,  don’t f*** up...

0A1DAA45-D87C-49FE-859A-9287C9006C90.jpeg

• Like 1

Mounting the door clips.  Only slightly less stressed on alignment and math, cuz hard wood is more tolerant if a redrill is needed. But still...

A8FCC799-E755-4F01-8A68-D6A38266248F.jpeg

This weekend will be glass installation, handles installed, final drawer adjustments, Boveda pack holders, and then...the seasoning begins!