Bolivar Gold Medal '08 - a Thanksgiving review.

Hope you feel better and can enjoy the next one. I don't reach for my Gold Metals often but when I do it is normally very enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sorry to hear you were assaulted by the cigar Ray. I hope you are in good health and wish you well! Maybe this song is a suitable tribute to the cigar. A bully in lambs wool! LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sean3 said:

90 effin degrees F...feel free to just kick me in the balls, last I checked it was 34 degrees F in my neck of the woods and gonna get a hell of a lot colder!  But I digress, great review Mr. Piggy, and get better.  Cheers.

... when your balls are cued up, just let me know! -LOL Over 80 today as well. Stone quiet, no wind as we usually get wind from the east to precipitate this kind of weather. I was actually able to use a Dupont soft flame lighter.

Really too bad that I reached for one of these while being sick. I figure it was a waste of a good cigar. Again, totally my fault. -Piggy

56 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

Sorry to hear you were assaulted by the cigar Ray. I hope you are in good health and wish you well! Maybe this song is a suitable tribute to the cigar. A bully in lambs wool! LOL

... while this did make me want to take my own life for a brief period, I was thinking more along the lines of an assaulted, not asphalted!!! -LOL

-Piggy

3 hours ago, PigFish said:

... when your balls are cued up, just let me know! -LOL Over 80 today as well. Stone quiet, no wind as we usually get wind from the east to precipitate this kind of weather. I was actually able to use a Dupont soft flame lighter.

Really too bad that I reached for one of these while being sick. I figure it was a waste of a good cigar. Again, totally my fault. -Piggy

80+ degrees...you're killing me.

3 hours ago, PigFish said:

... while this did make me want to take my own life for a brief period, I was thinking more along the lines of an assaulted, not asphalted!!! -LOL

-Piggy

My little hour or so of nirvana is a cigar, libation and hard and heavy rock and roll turned up to max volume. This is how I stay in 200% form at 51 years old. For myself, this is therapy no psychiatrist could ever come close to. Cheers and be well! John

I’m sorry you’re ill @PigFish, I hope you get better soon. But thanks for the review,I was just talking about this cigar yesterday with a friend of mine. He was able to get 6 at some point and has two left. They are his all time favorite.

I guess I need to figure out how to get one of those last two my buddy has now. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Leopolis Semper Fidelis said:

I remember the original BGM (discontinued in the early 1990s) - one of my favourites.  The flavour of its successor was/is vastly different, worse so.  The interloper masquerading under the moniker is a shocker.  Its deletion elicited no tears from me; one of the few sensible things Tabacuba has done.

Often a problem with re-releases.

Perhaps we don't see the RA Coronas and other because Tabacuba just cannot make them anymore. I see many of their cigars today as an embarrassment. I never really thought about it this way. When you make new cigars, you can make them lousy because no one has the experience with them from the past to tell another just how crappy they are!!! -LOL

-Piggy

11 hours ago, NYgarman said:

My little hour or so of nirvana is a cigar, libation and hard and heavy rock and roll turned up to max volume. This is how I stay in 200% form at 51 years old. For myself, this is therapy no psychiatrist could ever come close to. Cheers and be well! John

This can be what working in my shop is like. While I don't imbibe, I can get immersed in work (humidor stuff) light up a cigar and blast my music (albeit less than acoustic perfection) and really get unwound in the shop.

I love music. Unfortunately (with no offense intended) that clip from above was more like working around a mini-ex breaking 20 year old 8000psi concrete!!! -LOL

-Piggy

This Is Spinal Tap 2 !
At least Rob H has given up on the leather and studs even if the other old boys haven't.

Thunder & Lightening '75 - '15

Loved your cough description...LoL.  Mann you're a brave soul to venture to smoke while your sick. I had pneumonia for the first time ever 6 weeks ago and it sent me down for 2 weeks straight and just now getting to smoke again. Good review!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, clutch5150 said:

Loved your cough description...LoL.  Mann you're a brave soul to venture to smoke while your sick. I had pneumonia for the first time ever 6 weeks ago and it sent me down for 2 weeks straight and just now getting to smoke again. Good review!

... not brave, just a guy wanting to smoke a cigar on a beautiful day and not giving much concern over the consequences! I am sure I won't be smoking again this week. The damn cough is certainly not getting better.

Cheers! -Piggy

You’re a much braver man than I am. I’ve been fighting severe complications with acid reflux that I just realized has been going on for many years. With no intentions of smoking, I took a draw on an unlit cigar the other week and could feel the burn on my throat. I have not touched a cigar or drop of alcohol since July, and my diet has been completely overhauled. At this point, I won’t be touching another stick until I am symptom free... whenever that is...

On 27/11/2017 at 1:18 AM, PigFish said:

Often a problem with re-releases.

Perhaps we don't see the RA Coronas and other because Tabacuba just cannot make them anymore. I see many of their cigars today as an embarrassment. I never really thought about it this way. When you make new cigars, you can make them lousy because no one has the experience with them from the past to tell another just how crappy they are!!! -LOL

-Piggy

I have no experience with the cigars of old but can tell just how poor the whole process of cigar manufacturing is.

From farm to rolling know other country lives more (or could get away with) on its Elusion of Greatness!

On 11/27/2017 at 9:25 AM, Brandon said:

You’re a much braver man than I am. I’ve been fighting severe complications with acid reflux that I just realized has been going on for many years. With no intentions of smoking, I took a draw on an unlit cigar the other week and could feel the burn on my throat. I have not touched a cigar or drop of alcohol since July, and my diet has been completely overhauled. At this point, I won’t be touching another stick until I am symptom free... whenever that is...

Sorry to hear that Brandon. I have fought with that for years as well. For me it is about stress, eating late, being fat and the numerous meds I take for my heart.

These days I take meds to block the acid. I try to eat earlier and not before bed. It works pretty well. I also make an old time acid remedy. Since I cannot take much aspirin, it interferes with Brilinta, I mix citric acid with baking soda at a ratio of about 2(BS) to 1(CA) and it makes a neutral tasting fizzy water. The baking soda kills any burn that I get almost immediately. It is pretty much Alkaseltzer without the aspirin... 

As far as cigars. I have not smoked since I reviewed this cigar. I am a little bummed about it, but I have got to kill the cough. -R