Scotch Connoisseurs - Anything here with buying?

Ethernut

On 11/28/2017 at 3:27 PM, Ethernut said:

Have these available in my local B&M. Thought I’d draw on your experience in the spirit of brotherhood. I was gravitating toward the Lore. Keep in mind, my B&M wants a premium for them, are there any “must buys”/“must experience” bottles in here?

Cheers mates and thanks in advance!

E

Ethernut, I know you like bourbon and tend to be outspoken about Four Roses, but I won't try to guess what you might like in Scotch. There are various regions that have somewhat unique characteristics, and in most cases a lot of folks tend to favor one or the other. In general I tend to like Speyside scotches, such as Aberlour, Balvenie, Glenmorangie, Macallan, and a distillery recently revived by Gordon and MacPhail; Benromach, which has risen very high on my list this year.

One of my true favorites is the Aberlour A'bunadh; cask strength, small batch, finished in Oloroso sherry barrels, priced around $90-$100. Glenmorangie is another terrific distillery, their 12-year Quinta Ruban and 12-year La Santa malts are both terrific, each priced under $50. In fact, if you have a local Costco they may still have the $99 3-bottle set with Quinta Ruban, La Santa and 10-year old regular (each are 750ml bottles) - that is a real bargain. Truth be told, I've really fallen for the malts from Benromach recently, the 10-year is a 2017 award winner, it has Speyside character with a touch of peat smoke (<$50). I haven't tried yet, but I am looking for the Benromach 10-year "100 proof" (<$65). If you prefer more smokey, then try the Benromach 10-year Peat Smoke (<$50). For something with a little more vanilla and caramel character, I suggest The Balvenie 14-year Caribbean Cask, finished in rum barrels (<$70). 

I also like to dabble in Islays, with their peaty, smokey, ocean characters. You will find a variety of distillations from the island to the southwest such as Ardbeg, Bowmore, Caol Ila, Lagavulin, and Laphroaig. If you prefer the slightly wild side you must try Lagavulin 16-year (<$70), or if you prefer something more approachable then Laphroaig or Caol Ila (both have a variety of distillations under $70). I tend to go back and forth between Ardbeg and Lagavulin. Right now I'm hoping Santa brings me a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadial (~$65), finished in sherry woods, with a slightly fruity sweetness.  

I see some folks here recommend the Glenmorangie Signet, which goes for over $150/bottle. I haven't tried it, but I have no doubt it is divine as I love Glenmorangie malts. However, for that much loot I'd spring for the Costco $99 3-bottle Glenmorangie pack, and a bottle of Benromach or Ardbeg, and I'd still have coin left over. 

• Like 2

If you like rich, malty scotch, balanced peat and smoke and just a hint of sweetness from the aging barrels, the Longrow 14 is the best whisky I've ever had.  My personal collection has 17 single malts (had, I'm finishing off bottles I don't intend to replace).  Unfortunately I can't get Longrow in the US but every now and then a kind friend will "mule" one back for me from the UK.  Plenty of other good ones too.  Depends on your taste, are you an Islay guy (smoky, peaty, essence of listerine) or a highland guy, (sweet, floral, dried fruits kind of thing)?

1 hour ago, Philc2001 said:

I see some folks here recommend the Glenmorangie Signet, which goes for over $150/bottle. I haven't tried it, but I have no doubt it is divine as I love Glenmorangie malts. However, for that much loot I'd spring for the Costco $99 3-bottle Glenmorangie pack, and a bottle of Benromach or Ardbeg, and I'd still have coin left over. 

Nice post. Lots of helpful advice...except his last bit. Lol.

I cannot overstate enough how incredible the Signet is. It is $300 by me and the second I saw a bottle I basically threw all my credit cards towards the cash register, screamed at the store clerk to take all my money while running out of the shop at full speed holding onto the box like it was an injured newborn...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, shlomo said:

Nice post. Lots of helpful advice...except his last bit. Lol.

I cannot overstate enough how incredible the Signet is. It is $300 by me and the second I saw a bottle I basically threw all my credit cards towards the cash register, screamed at the store clerk to take all my money while running out of the shop at full speed holding onto the box like it was an injured newborn...

Damn! $300... that's rich. But I just noticed you're in Montreal, so factoring in Canada's 100% sin tax puts you over $300. That's one of the reasons I moved south of the border.

I love Glenmorangie, so for a super premium this would be the one to get. Well, if Signet is that good, I have to put it on the Christmas list. I've never been a Johnny Walker Blue fan, but I bet Signet blows it away, and it's still cheaper than Blue. 

I see Signet online and in stock for $124. With shipping it's under $150. Tempting....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Philc2001 said:

Damn! $300... that's rich. But I just noticed you're in Montreal, so factoring in Canada's 100% sin tax puts you over $300. That's one of the reasons I moved south of the border.

I love Glenmorangie, so for a super premium this would be the one to get. Well, if Signet is that good, I have to put it on the Christmas list. I've never been a Johnny Walker Blue fan, but I bet Signet blows it away, and it's still cheaper than Blue. 

I see Signet online and in stock for $124. With shipping it's under $150. Tempting....

Jeez...buy me a case!!

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, shlomo said:

Jeez...buy me a case!!

Sorry Mate, sold out! Besides the Canuck gov't would not approve. ;)

But I can send a link to another source that still has them in stock for $150, if you really want to take a chance getting it through customs...:ph34r:

glenmorangie-signet-whisky.jpg?ss=2.0

• Like 1