The Mystery of Cohiba.....by Punch Joe

El Presidente

Wow, what a great read, the last bit about the location Sagua la Grande is quite interesting. The mystery deepens!  Thank you for sharing this.

Great post Jose. Enjoyed spending some time with you in Havana and remember us talking about your collection of bands. All the best my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's excellent info. Thanks for posting!

As Joe sais, it appears not too unlikely that more than one bright mind came up with the idea of using the old Taino word for branding a cigar, one way or the other.

At that occasion - here's springing to my mind again the naming of the Behike line: Prior to the Behike Aniversario humidor and well before the regular BHK-line, there had obviously been such naming in existence, perhaps even been (secretly) in use already. In a 1992 documentary ('The Havana', filmed mostly in 1991 as it seems) there is a very brief still, showing a display of El Laguito bands and box stickers (vista labels) including two with "BEHIKE" written on them (different sizes even). At a time, when Cohibas still came cello-sleeved and Habanos S.A. had not yet been founded.... (minute 43:48)

Anyone able to shed a light on the history of that?

• Like 4

On 11/30/2017 at 5:09 PM, Fugu said:

That's excellent info. Thanks for posting!

As Joe sais, it appears not too unlikely that more than one bright mind came up with the idea of using the old Taino word for branding a cigar, one way or the other.

At that occasion - here's springing to my mind again the naming of the Behike line: Prior to the Behike Aniversario humidor and well before the regular BHK-line, there had obviously been such naming in existence, perhaps even been (secretly) in use already. In a 1992 documentary ('The Havana', filmed mostly in 1991 as it seems) there is a very brief still, showing a display of El Laguito bands and box stickers (vista labels) including two with "BEHIKE" written on them (different sizes even). At a time, when Cohibas still came cello-sleeved and Habanos S.A. had not yet been founded.... (minute 43:48)

Anyone able to shed a light on the history of that?

Very elucidating! Quite old bands and cello - this video is well aged....

• Haha 1

Thanks for the share...... I have seen this band before, but I feel like someone was actually selling cigars with this band....I will try to remember where that happened, but I remember it being a big deal, because there was a lot of authentication talk, or maybe I'm mixing up my memories....but let me see what I can dig up

1 hour ago, Benzopyrene said:

Thanks for the share...... I have seen this band before, but I feel like someone was actually selling cigars with this band....I will try to remember where that happened, but I remember it being a big deal, because there was a lot of authentication talk, or maybe I'm mixing up my memories....but let me see what I can dig up

A certain cigar auction site had a 6'r of these up for auction a year or so ago.

What a fabulous read and what great investigative work. Bravo!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Ferrero unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...