poll on favourite italian reds

Ken Gargett

what is your favourite style of italian red?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Too difficult for me to choose. A great nebbiolo is divine. A great Amarone is equally magnificent. As is a great Sangiovese.

Too many great wines of numerous varietals, regions, and zones for me to narrow it down.......

I know, great help.

I love Amarone. I was invited to a Masi tasting recently and I really enjoyed the 2009 Costasera Riserva.

As we were in quite a rural location taxis were scarce, and I ended up sharing mine with Giacomo Boscaini, one of the family, and their brand ambassador.

• 4 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Ribeye said:

Ken,

If it won't sour the voting results, please let us know your favorite.

Thanks!

i was a vote for barolo, but you can get some top super-tuscans (and everything else, of course), though not as often as they'd like you to believe.

My best Italian wine experience was a Barolo, vintage and name I cannot recall for the life of me.  Many other Barolos for me have been hit and miss. TBH, we miss out on a lot of good releases here (Toronto) as our liquor monopoly just does stupid things.  Amarones were my vote, as that has been the most consistent style of Italian wine for me. My personal favourite being Tedeschi. I drank at least a case of the 2004 and 2006 vintage.  Down to my last 2006 bottle now.  :( 

Enjoy the big damson reds like Amarone and Barolo., but

Personally my favourite is summer memories of eating masses of mantis shrimp and fritto misto in Venice and quaffing down multiple carafes of the very cold Valpolicella Superiore.  Cant stand most white wines as they get very acerbic on me very quickly, so it's always a treat to drink reds that work when cold/cool. 

I guess, from what we drink most Italian, I am a Chianti Classico guy. Sangiovese-based "Super"-Tuscan coming in second. Interestingly, reaching far more often for a simple Langhe rosso than a Barolo (which I am enjoying, too).

Best ever Italian drunk I guess was a 1992 Le Pergole Torte (Montevertine, still under Sergio Manetti back then, 100% Sangiovese - so at that time qualifying for a supertuscan (VDT), though in fact it is a mono-varietal Chianti Cl. ), and a 1994 Saffredi (Fatt. Le Pupille) from the Maremma (- has become a bit too bold and fat in recent years for my liking).

Voted Chianti.

Vino Nobile missing from that list, Ken. And that "Chianti" should be changed to "Chianti Classico" so as to avoid confusion with the generic Chianti in the 2.5-l fiasco....

36 minutes ago, Fugu said:

I guess, from what we drink most Italian, I am a Chianti Classico guy. Sangiovese-based "Super"-Tuscan coming in second. Interestingly, reaching far more often for a simple Langhe rosso than a Barolo (which I am enjoying, too).

Best ever Italian drunk I guess was a 1992 Le Pergole Torte (Montevertine, still under Sergio Manetti back then, 100% Sangiovese - so at that time qualifying for a supertuscan (VDT), though in fact it is a mono-varietal Chianti Cl. ), and a 1994 Saffredi (Fatt. Le Pupille) from the Maremma (- has become a bit too bold and fat in recent years for my liking).

Voted Chianti.

Vino Nobile missing from that list, Ken. And that "Chianti" should be changed to "Chianti Classico" so as to avoid confusion with the generic Chianti in the 2.5-l fiasco....

list was just a general one. if i started bringing in all that then we'd have a 100 choices.

• 4 weeks later...