Montecristo Dantés, EL 2016

Fugu

First of two singles bought for sampling. Had really been looking forward to these from the moment of their announcement on, since I much like the format. And this is only the third time Cuba is coming up with an Hermosos No.1. The first, the 2003 Limitada of Romeo y Julieta, had been a winner in my book (still going strong), as has been the lovely SCdLH Mercaderes. And while such a Churchill-esque size is lacking in the Monte vitolario (apart from the dreaded Anejados) this was a sure must-try for me. However, I am left somehow confused with this cigar.

MD_1_.thumb.JPG.c89427fe9ea6908a838663c0b767c3d4.JPG

A nice looking, evenly bunched specimen, with your typical smooth, slightly leathery LE-wrapper, coming with a certain sandpaper roughness to it. Still, visually not at all unattractive, and a complete row of 10 in the box looks a treat. Despite selecting the heavier one of the two, this was suffering from a way too open draw. While an even burn was no issue, the poor mechanics of an underfill may have influenced the result. This stick appeared as if it didn't really knew what it was meant to be: A bit of an LE choc-flavour, a slight bit of nuttiness here and there, some green bellpepper in the back. With the second third a faint 'estery' note of nitro-solvent kicking in - or, to put it a bit friendlier - an aromatic solvent note reminiscent of cutting teak. Not unpleasant, at least that note made this smoke a bit more interesting. This steamer - demanding triple or quad draws - was neither a true Montecristo, nor was it showing pronounced LE characteristics. Near null complexity, no depth and not much of a transition going on over the course of the smoke, where it always remained well under medium in body. No rough edges, but likewise no character.

MD_2.thumb.JPG.ebbfc880794ff5703ced40d0f781e279.JPGMD_4.thumb.JPG.9994542fe859482d0cc402ca1db91d35.JPGMD_5.thumb.JPG.1dec03b2ec94d1ae514f762aeca8af2d.JPG

What is this?! What's the idea behind it? What was Habanos having in mind with this cigar? Puzzled. This is offering nothing, plain nothing what the regular production couldn't do and wouldn't do better (any of them bar the Opens). A disappointment at this stage. Would have been a shame to simply dump it early on as it was not really bad. But this was one of the rare examples of a cigar where you are looking forward to its ending (also due to the noticeable nic load, which it was burdened with). Bored, to put it simple.

No verdict, based on a single stick, but looks like this may be not for me. That being said, both the Mercaderes as well as the RyJ Hermosos No.1 didn't receive big accolade from the get go. So there's perhaps still hope with these with some more maturing. Still - I doubt it judging from this example. Smoking time 80 min.

Cheers, the Goo

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...