Good morning,

I have been smoking cigars for 20 years now, cubans exclusively, but I would like to know the point of view from foh forum aficionados. As I am quadraplegic since a rugby scrum it is quite complicate with my "hands" to properly cut my cigar alone so I must beg for help....I have an efficient cabinet humidor for aging my cigars and I wonder if I could cut all my cigars in advance even if I don't smoke them before months/years. Will it change the aging process ?

Thanks for your advices.

I seem to recall a few members who pre-cut their cigars and then leave them in their humidors. My impression is that the cap is mainly for show, so to speak, and that as the feet of most cigars are already open, it shouldn't make much difference.

• Like 2

When I get new boxes I go through them one by one and anything I think is plugged I cut the cap off and draw test. If it’s fine it goes back in the box if not goes into my “smoke soon” box where it gets fridge treatment or something before I smoke it. My point being I keep cut cigars myslef and notice no difference.

Ultimately, if it’s convenient for you, then cut them and store them I say. Better than not being able to smoke.

All this being said, some people postulate that closed foot cigars are good because “all the aroma is packed in” similar to what people think of cigars in tubes.

This seems like a good project for someone who can build a jig and do a bit of electronics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kferguson said:

What about something like this guy? We had one mounted to the tabletop at our store and it was fantastic.

41B0iEgaHxL._SL1500_.jpg

@Kferguson Beat me to it. I was just thinking about that exact table top cutter. BUt worst case, yeah you can precut as long as they stay in the humidor.

• Like 2

I don't think there's be anything wrong with it at all. there have been times where I've cut a cigar, but decided not to smoke it after all, and put it back into the humidor. Even after a few years, when I pull a cigar that's already been cut, I've never noticed a difference.

The only major downside I could see is if you like to trade or sell cigars.

• Like 1

Thank you. These are very good suggestions for my special case, I already use this desktop cutter when am alone on robusto size, it's efficient but I had a few misses with bigger sticks or figurados so each time I have to use it, It modify my choice - Better than nothing . Anyhow you are right, it's the best disabled friendly cigar cutter. I think that I shall try to pre-cut a few lusitanias to see how they are aging. 

• Like 2

In my opinion, it will not change the flavor one bit whatsoever.

What it *may* do, is open the draw a little bit.  And in cases of cigars I've clipped and found the pre-light draw to be too tight, I find this to be a feature, not a bug.  Since I can put a tight cigar into the penalty box and usually have something smoke-able in 6-12 months time.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheGipper said:

In my opinion, it will not change the flavor one bit whatsoever.

What it *may* do, is open the draw a little bit.  And in cases of cigars I've clipped and found the pre-light draw to be too tight, I find this to be a feature, not a bug.  Since I can put a tight cigar into the penalty box and usually have something smoke-able in 6-12 months time.

Same for me. I always draw test cigars when I'm going out or traveling. Nothing worse than going to light up and find out i brought a dowel.

Those that don't pass the test go back for a while. Most tend to eventually open up but I do have some 20 years now that haven't released - hard time letting them go though....

• Like 1

I have had pre-cut cigars sitting in my humidor from time to time (cut a cigar, then got distracted before lighting up). I've never noticed any detrimental effects from pre-cutting and storing those cigars.

Mathieu, I was also going to suggest the tabletop four hole cutter.  I've asked for one of those for Christmas.  It may be a good solution for you.

But I'm curious.  How you handle the lighting process?  The answer to that question may help us offer other suggestions on the cutting issue. 

If you could affix a punch cutter at head level on the wall you might be able put the cigar foot in your mouth and punch the head that way.   Even if it is just a spent round of ammunition with a hole drilled in the bottom and screwed to the wall.  I have not tried either of these, but thought it was worth suggesting.

Another option would be to use a table top cutter with a rest, like this one. As you seem to have partial use of your arms and/or hands, this would help, as you won't need to hold up the cigar when cutting.

cutter.thumb.jpg.030729605e520c0881d9f43c6dec4cdd.jpg

In my opinion, Cuban Crafter's Perfect Cigar Cutter (it has 80 RG model as well) will suit to you since you do not have to measure the amount of cutting. It is cheaper than most of cigar cutters too (Davidoff, desktop cigar cutter, shiny etc). With this cutter, you just simply cut cigars in easy way and put them into your storage medium as you wish .

P.S. This idea is from my one year cigar tools research.

Sent from my SHV-E300S using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

@stogieluver To light up my cigar when am alone I use (now) a yellow flame table lighter. I also have a bbq lighter that i can lit with a left thumb and right palm but i have to wrestle for a while...last option that suits me it's to keep a huge natural candle lit. I avoid torch it's too powerful/dangerous for me.

• Like 1