La Casa Del Habano custom rolls

GotaCohiba

1 hour ago, Corneighdo said:

I guess we need more info, LCDH's are all over the world. I'll assume you are going to Cuba and want to check out the LCDH's there and the few custom rollers that operate out of them.

Here is the info of the top 5 rollers gathered, with my notes:

Custom Rollers to See: 
Reynaldo @ Conde de Villanueva LCDH at Mercaderes #202 corner of Lamparilla, Habana Vieja - FULL bodies cigars (bought 35) Plenty in stock Sublimes were my favorite, but many vitolas to choose from 
Yolanda Medina @ Hotel Melia Habana LCDH at 3ra Ave. between Calle 76 & 80, Playa - Piramides Miramar (did not visit) 
Cueto from the El Morro Castle shop (Parque Morro-Cabana Cigar Shop (did not visit, but would love to as I've had his cigars - very good) 
Jorge Lopez Leal @ Club Havana LCDH (5ht Ave between Calle 188-192) MONSDALES (Playa neighborhood) Visited, but devastatingly, Jorge was not there and NO customs available... This was one of the nicer selections I found, but no VRs in stock
Leopoldina Gutierrez aka 'La China’ @ Partagas LCDH at Calle Industria #520, Centro Habana (Old Partagas factory) -Visited, did not buy, very busy, good selection 

Technically, you are only permitted 50 unbanded cigars per person out of the country, but they rarely enforce and did not check me. If you are going with someone else, your goal of 100 will be fine. 

My wife and I will be going to Havana, just one day as it’s a cruise stop

I just wasn’t sure if the shops kept custom rolls in stock or if I needed to try to reach out to someone in advance and put in a request

You’ll certainly be able to find some customs just showing up, but there’s no guarantee you’ll find a specific cigar especially if they’re popular. 

I’d add Milagros at Hotel Nacional to that list. Very good cigars, bunch of different vitolas available. 

I just returned from Cuba Saturday. Yolanda is currently in China for an extended stay. her son lives there and she makes good money rolling for some cigar guys there. you can definitely place an order for certain sizes with certain rollers like Alex at comodoro or Reynaldo. You can find them on Facebook. Especially Alex, he spends so much time online he should just work for Facebook.

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2017 at 12:02 PM, Corneighdo said:

I guess we need more info, LCDH's are all over the world. I'll assume you are going to Cuba and want to check out the LCDH's there and the few custom rollers that operate out of them.

Here is the info of the top 5 rollers gathered, with my notes:

Custom Rollers to See: 
Reynaldo @ Conde de Villanueva LCDH at Mercaderes #202 corner of Lamparilla, Habana Vieja - FULL bodies cigars (bought 35) Plenty in stock Sublimes were my favorite, but many vitolas to choose from 
Yolanda Medina @ Hotel Melia Habana LCDH at 3ra Ave. between Calle 76 & 80, Playa - Piramides Miramar (did not visit) 
Cueto from the El Morro Castle shop (Parque Morro-Cabana Cigar Shop (did not visit, but would love to as I've had his cigars - very good) 
Jorge Lopez Leal @ Club Havana LCDH (5ht Ave between Calle 188-192) MONSDALES (Playa neighborhood) Visited, but devastatingly, Jorge was not there and NO customs available... This was one of the nicer selections I found, but no VRs in stock
Leopoldina Gutierrez aka 'La China’ @ Partagas LCDH at Calle Industria #520, Centro Habana (Old Partagas factory) -Visited, did not buy, very busy, good selection 

Technically, you are only permitted 50 unbanded cigars per person out of the country, but they rarely enforce and did not check me. If you are going with someone else, your goal of 100 will be fine. 

Anything over that, you have to pay the excise tax, but still allowed per say.

• Like 1

You are allowed 20 unbanded cigars out of Cuba. 50 without factura if they are in boxes, is the technical rule from Aduana. You take your chances with anymore. I've had two friends get confiscated on seperate trips. It's not an excise tax, it is confiscation. 100 should be ok though - just split them up between suitcases and carryons. 

Do not take this as cash, this is only in my experience.

Just came back from Varadero on Sunday, they did not ask for a factura or say anything about my customs. They did however confiscate 4 Bic lig:tantrum:hters!

Lovely cigars there @GotaCohiba

I hope you froze them all before putting them in your humidor.

I'm certainly not wishing them any harm, but there are tobacco beetles in Cuba and shops don't freeze those.

I treat all of mine and I still keep them in a separate humidor from my Habanos stuff. I've built up a bit of a stash of custom rolls in the last 10 years or so and haven't had a problem after they've been treated.

• Like 3

Regarding custom rolls out of Cuba.

Do NOT take this as 100% reliable but here's a thing I've heard from more than one person who was stopped by customs in Cuba on the way out.

Each of them had over 100 custom rolls with no receipt for them.

The cigars were about to be confiscated when they showed one or two facturas for some Habanos cigars that they bought on the same trip.

The Customs officials were happy to see just one or two facturas, they didn't care what cigars they were for, just that the traveler had one or two.

They were let go with nothing taken.

I can't promise this will work every time of course, but certainly worth keeping any facturas for any cigars on you when called for too many custom rolls.

Most tourists don't have any facturas or even know what a factura is, Cuban customs officials are not cigar aficionados, all they see are bundles of cigars, but they all know what a factura looks like.

If they see one, at least they know that you know how and where to buy real cigars (i.e. cigars that have provided revenue to the government) in Cuba.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Lovely cigars there @GotaCohiba

I hope you froze them all before putting them in your humidor.

I'm certainly not wishing them any harm, but there are tobacco beetles in Cuba and shops don't freeze those.

I treat all of mine and I still keep them in a separate humidor from my Habanos stuff. I've built up a bit of a stash of custom rolls in the last 10 years or so and haven't had a problem after they've been treated.

Fridge for 12hrs, freezer 24hrs, fridge 12hrs...   My freezer is at -6F 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GotaCohiba said:

Fridge for 12hrs, freezer 24hrs, fridge 12hrs...   My freezer is at -6F 

You'll have people recommending 72 hours freezing but 24 hours at that temp should be fine.

It's bundles of cigars not bales of tobacco.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yep.  Also gave a small tip at one the places I went.  Told them I needed something just with hotel name.  They gave me a receipt on nice letter head. 

On 1/26/2018 at 12:58 PM, GotaCohiba said:

They were good with the receipt that I had from Alex at the Comodoro 

• 3 months later...