Another great review John. I have a box of lanceros from AMO 16 resting in my locker, I’m going to have to do my best now to keep my hands off them for a few more years! 

It’s such a shame that these cigars can be so hard to come by, I’m sure the market would be there for an increased production. 

• Thanks 1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Greetings dear friends! After much coaxing by my dear pal, Jason (@jay8354) over some time, I've decided to give video reviewing a 'crack' over the upcoming Australian summer holiday season. I thought

1. Montecristo Petit Edmundo – SGA DIC 16   In this review, it's the Vegueros Entretiempos that I was meant to be referencing!

2. Juan Lopez Seleccion No. 2 – MEL FEB 17   In this review, I meant to state that the Juan Lopez Seleccion No.1 and No.2 have been around since the 1990's, not the Juan Lopez mar

4 hours ago, JohnS said:

I included this second video to discuss how the cigar developed through the thirds. I can't emphasise enough how important it is to smoke this slowly. I managed around 2 hours. If you are fortunate enough to have a box resting away, do yourself a favour and make sure you give them at least 5 years. In my opinion, they can potentially become exemplary in mildness and flavour after 10 years.

Thank you for your support and interest in this video review series. We have one more cigar to review, the H.Upmann Sir Winston which we'll do with @Luca after the new year, so yes, the 'Fez' will return! Until then, have a Merry Xmas and Happy New Year and I wish you a festive and relaxing time with your loved ones.

Thanks for all the detailed reviews and Merry Christmas to you and yours as well

• Thanks 1

On 12/25/2017 at 12:07 AM, David88 said:

Another great review John. I have a box of lanceros from AMO 16 resting in my locker, I’m going to have to do my best now to keep my hands off them for a few more years! 

It’s such a shame that these cigars can be so hard to come by, I’m sure the market would be there for an increased production. 

Thanks David. I think the one thing I've appreciated about this 2017 Xmas Sampler has been the longer cigars with half of them (Fonseca No.1, Vegas Robaina Don Alejandro, Cohiba Lancero, Cohiba Esplendidos, Romeo y Julieta Churchill and H.Upmann Sir Winston) being under 50 ring gauge and over 160 mm (6.3 inches) in length. I've made a conscious effort in the last 12 to 18 months to smoke longer cigars more often, and I'm glad I've done so, even if at times it's been only once or twice a month.

I do think the market is there for Lanceros and Esplendidos, but it seems obvious to me that Cohiba leaf has been in shortage lately (i.e. last 12 to 18 months) and the rationing has gone into vitolas such as the Robustos. So, like so many here on our forum, I'm resigned to exercising patience until stocks of these longer Cohibas picks up again.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Sean3 said:

Making my way through these reviews JohnS, and am enjoying them...Rob and Ken now have some stout competition!  Cheers Sir.

Cheers Sean! If you enjoy the knowledge imparted in these reviews, and often they are just my opinion, you wouldn't believe how much knowledge these fine fellows Rob and Ken have in regards to cigars. I am very fortunate to have enjoyed their company with a cigar or two! ;):D

• Like 1

If you are wondering where Chatswood is, it's a suburb of Sydney. Both @Luca and myself would love to hear from any of you who have experience with aged H.Upmann Sir Winston. How do they develop over time, from your point of view? Feel free to share your views...

• Like 2

Am just starting in on the Christmas Sampler- wanted to give those cigars a nice nap before trying.  Last night I smoked the Lanceros, and just watched your video review.  My first Lanceros... found it a nice departure from the Siglo 3 flavor which is my most common Cohiba experience- stonger flavors at the onset, "darker", a bit more bite in a very pleasant way.  Although as John says in the review, the Lanceros will become more subtle with age, if I understand him correctly, I Iruly enjoyed the youngish sample from the Sampler, and want to thank John for a comprehensive review and FOH for putting the whole thing together- the cigars and the reviews- a very nice experience, indeed.

• Thanks 1

I'm glad you appreciated that Lanceros video @Man D'olin! The video reviews were my way (with the help of some dear friends) of contributing a big thanks to our host for putting up the sampler and just for everything FoH do for the Australian and International Cigar Community. I wasn't obligated, but I do appreciate the effort to overcome bureaucratic obstacles to have what we have! :2thumbs:

• Like 2

@Wertman, I found the H.Upmann Sir Winston, Cohiba Lanceros and Cohiba Esplendidos suited my plate the best, although overall I did like the cigars in this year's sampler quite a lot!

Of those three, when I think of it, it is no coincidence that they come into production when there is enough quality leaf gathered, and one must acknowledge Habanos S.A for doing so, because the quality in these cigars, in my opinion, does stand out.

Of the three I've mentioned, the Cohiba Esplendidos would have been my very favourite, only on account of it smoking so well in its youth in comparison to the other two (which were just a little behind in my view).

• JohnS changed the title to JohnS' 2017 Christmas Sampler Video Reviews Series
  • El Presidente unpinned this topic
  • JohnS pinned this topic