In preparation for my video review of the Cohiba Lanceros for the 2017 Xmas Sampler Series, I researched pigtail caps on Cuban Cigars. I was unable to find a definitive reference on-line as to why or which cigars have a pigtail cap, but looking at the list below it's safe to infer some reasons...

The following Habanos cigars have (or had prior to discontinuation) pigtail caps:

• Cohiba Lanceros
  • Cohiba Coronas Especiales
  • Montecristo Especial
  • Montecristo Especiales No.2
  • ALL Trinidad vitolas including the Fundadores and special releases such as the 2016 Topes Limited Edition and the recent 2017 LCDH La Trova
  • Davidoff No.1 and No.2
  • Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo de Dauphin and Odeon
  • Vegueros Especiales No.1 and Especiales No.2
  • 2011 Cohiba 1966 LE
  • 2017 Cohiba Talisman
  • Cohiba Behike 52, 54 and 56

The main thing I can glean from the original size and purpose of the Cohiba Lanceros and Cohiba Coronas Especiales is the fact that they are both long and skinny 38 ring gauge cigars and were initially handed out as diplomatic and VIP gifts. Consequently, most of the cigars listed above are (or were) 38 ring gauge cigars. Trinidad as a marca was also a diplomatic cigar prior to being introduced publically in 1998. Trinidad was marketed as a premium marca and all vitolas have had pigtails. The Cohiba Behike 52, 54 and 56, introduced in 2010 as regular production cigars had pigtails and recently the Cohiba Limted Editions, the 1966 and Talisman have been released with pigtails.

I wonder if they've been constructed so to assist with clipping the cap without the use of a cutter. I had fun untwisting the pigtail cap on my 2017 Xmas Sampler Cohiba Lanceros today. If you'd like to see how it was done, follow the link below...

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I wonder if they've been constructed so to assist ....................

........................in hanging off the Christmas tree?..........no?     What a sight it would be! 50 vintage Fundy's dangling in the glow of the lights

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The old wives' tale I've heard regarding pigtails is that they were essentially an easier way for the cigar smoker to remove the cap without a cutter; just pull the pigtail and the cap comes off pretty easily unless the cigar is dry and/or the wrapper is damaged. I've done this twice in my entire life, and it works, but I'm not sure if that is the real reason they do so, particularly today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

While I had heard that the pigtail allowed you to easily remove the cap, I had just assumed it was a way to ‘show off’ a rollers skill when making premium/important cigars. I will give twisting the cap off a go soon though. 

• Like 3

I think... If you observe how cigars and caps are applied during the rolling process.... It may be beneficial for a long skinny to be pigtailed rather than just triple capped.

During the application of caps, the cigars are being pressed down onto a small circular wrapper and then kinda just moved around to apply the cap evenly then repeated for the 2nd and 3rd caps. This pressure, along with the fact that the leaves are wet and soft during the rolling stage, is likely to create plugs between the midpoint (where the roller holds the cigar) and the head. (Which is normally where we find stiff plugs anyway).

A thin cigar leaves no room for error and therefore a pigtail could alleviate the issue. Although this doesn't stop the lanceros from getting plugged hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3