Need your help identifying a jar

Happy new year to everyone !

I haven't posted here in the longest time, but would you be so kind to help my cousin's son ? He bought this La Corona jar not too long ago and the only info he has is that it would date back to 1955. It seems there are 45 cigars left out the original 50 (don't jars only have 25 cigars ?). I already checked out cubancigarwebsite, but nothing about a jar. Also, if anyone would know the current value of such an object ?

Thank you !image.thumb.jpeg.b4612175e57616ea94bfafa8de94572f.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c9b7469b3d861098fb0f8b0ba62bcba8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9869012ce8fdcdff7458ff865f433f51.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.79ca8ac37a2d486046744afbceb51fe6.jpeg

• Like 3

There doesn't seem to be any info regarding La Corona prior to the 1979 temporary discontinuation on CCW (whose info is culled from MRN who may not have had any experience with pre-79 La Corona).

The only La Corona jars I've ever seen are the Invencibles but all were listed as pre-Revolution. There's no clear images of the warranty seals on those but based on the warranty seal on yours it appears these are post-1962 as the warranty seal is the one used after that as the pre-1962 seal's edges were serrated. As the only ones that have sold or have been seen are pre-Rev, I'd say that's an important point. It appears that the pre-Rev intact jars of 50 in good condition have sold in the range of $3,000-5,000. Based on this, I'd venture to guess a non-intact jar or the jar itself could fetch somewhere in the $500-1,000 range, consistent with most valuable vintage CC jars of that era--again, if this is a pre-Rev. Again, however, the warranty seal would be an indicator to me that it is a post-Rev jar. It's not a common jar, so even if it was post-Rev it could certainly be worth many hundreds of dollars.

This is something you could run by JJ Fox or Mitchell Orchant and as I'm sure they've come across this as there have been a few that have come up at auction in the UK in the last 15-20 years.

• Thanks 1

Concur with NSX as for age estimation. Appears to be a 60-s, perhaps into early-70s production (also note the strap). Which is remarkable in fact, as post-revolution production of La Corona (brand) had been sparse (leaving aside the later machine-mades), making it easier to find pre-rev. La Coronas and in particular jars of that vitola than post-revol.. This might make this in fact a quite rare, perhaps even a significant find.

• Like 2

NSXCIGAR, could you please tell me who are JJ Fox and Mitchell Orchant and how I can get in touch with them ? Sorry if I sound ignorant, but I have never bought cigars at auction, so if these gentlemen work in that field...

Thank you !

10 minutes ago, tempbond said:

NSXCIGAR, could you please tell me who are JJ Fox and Mitchell Orchant and how I can get in touch with them ? Sorry if I sound ignorant, but I have never bought cigars at auction, so if these gentlemen work in that field...

JJ Fox isn't involved directly in auctions but they are extremely knowledgeable about rare post-Rev brand items and could at least likely confirm whether this is pre or post-Rev and give you a general idea regarding it's relative rarity. 

Mitchell Orchant does run auctions and I've seen at least one Invencibles jar having had come up at one in the past. He's at least directly familiar with one and again, could probably confirm whether this is pre or post-Rev. 

And I agree, as @Fugu noted, this might be even more rare and valuable as a post-Rev jar than a pre-Rev jar. That would take a little more research and inquiry to establish. But as we've pointed out, these Invencibles jars in general appear to be rather rare and all I've seen have been labeled as pre-Rev. Now, these may be erroneously listed as such, but it should be determined whether yours is consistent with those or not thus helping to determine the era of yours. As I've only seen a handful of these jars--all of which are listed as pre-Rev, it is possible that you might have a very rare jar. However, as it's non-intact, it would severely limit the value. The rarest non-intact jars I've seen from that era have sold for around $1,000-$2,000.  

https://www.jjfox.co.uk/

https://www.cgarsltd.co.uk/

29 minutes ago, tempbond said:

Thank you !

be interested in what you learn from these guys.

JJ Fox - try for rob fox with JJ Fox in London - are highly respected and should have plenty of info.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

JJ Fox isn't involved directly in auctions but they are extremely knowledgeable about rare post-Rev brand items and could at least likely confirm whether this is pre or post-Rev and give you a general idea regarding it's relative rarity. 

Mitchell Orchant does run auctions and I've seen at least one Invencibles jar having had come up at one in the past. He's at least directly familiar with one and again, could probably confirm whether this is pre or post-Rev. 

And I agree, as @Fugu noted, this might be even more rare and valuable as a post-Rev jar than a pre-Rev jar. That would take a little more research and inquiry to establish. But as we've pointed out, these Invencibles jars in general appear to be rather rare and all I've seen have been labeled as pre-Rev. Now, these may be erroneously listed as such, but it should be determined whether yours is consistent with those or not thus helping to determine the era of yours. As I've only seen a handful of these jars--all of which are listed as pre-Rev, it is possible that you might have a very rare jar. However, as it's non-intact, it would severely limit the value. The rarest non-intact jars I've seen from that era have sold for around $1,000-$2,000.  

https://www.jjfox.co.uk/

https://www.cgarsltd.co.uk/

Again, thank you for the info ! I will ask my cousin to give me more info on where he bought it and if the seller said anything about it and will update this thread ;-)

5 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

be interested in what you learn from these guys.

JJ Fox - try for rob fox with JJ Fox in London - are highly respected and should have plenty of info.

Thank you Ken ! I'll try as soon as I get more information from my cousin.

if it helps, I think I'd seen this jar for sale online in France for €3000, but it didn't seem to move for months and months

I would back up what NSX has said about the rarity, but for some reason Pre-rev stuff has not being hitting the prices they did a year or two ago.  That said jars are always quite strong regardless of the market prices in the auctions.   I'd say even with fee's if you sold in the next cgars auction you could make as much as £ 1750-£2500 profit. I think it all depends on how much wrapper damage you have/if the cigars are completely dried out etc. 

Before you sell, I would seriously have a look at the difference in sold prices from about 2015 to now, and whether maybe holding on to them for a year or two may help or hinder your profits. I know Brexit is having quite a big impact of the auctions here.

8 hours ago, 99call said:

if it helps, I think I'd seen this jar for sale online in France for €3000, but it didn't seem to move for months and months

I would back up what NSX has said about the rarity, but for some reason Pre-rev stuff has not being hitting the prices they did a year or two ago.  That said jars are always quite strong regardless of the market prices in the auctions.   I'd say even with fee's if you sold in the next cgars auction you could make as much as £ 1750-£2500 profit. I think it all depends on how much wrapper damage you have/if the cigars are completely dried out etc. 

Before you sell, I would seriously have a look at the difference in sold prices from about 2015 to now, and whether maybe holding on to them for a year or two may help or hinder your profits. I know Brexit is having quite a big impact of the auctions here.

Thank you for the advice and information !