I saw a review over on Halfwheel on the Sancho Panzo Ducales. :blink: It sounded new, so I read the entire review.  But, it turns out they are not new and were released in the 1980's.  The background is that during the 80's, Cubatabaco gave a special license to Tabacalera Spain (now Altadis) to produce three vitolas under this marca for the city of Tenerife Spain.  I highly doubt these are still being made.  The review is of a vintage one from the 80's.

The vitolas are:

• Ducales (42 * 5 1/3)
  • Escuderos (unknown)
  • Hidalgos (unknown)

I see no reference on Habanos.com (no surprise), none on CCW and nothing in MRN's book either.  Any of our more experienced members know anything about these cigars? 

• Like 1

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Boxes of Hilgados and Ducales 

Saw those and three new Montrecristos with this band on a friend’s post on instagram. Seems the relaunch of a vintage model with a who-knows-what in it is the latest. Your understanding of t

Island of Tenerife.... I think it may be pretty much as you say it. Haven't come across anything with ref to those either, but around that time Tabacalera held the sole name-rights for some marca

Saw those and three new Montrecristos with this band on a friend’s post on instagram.

4F20E7FF-CB8F-4510-90D2-17B217B21BB3.jpeg.ba3ffcddcf8433c5ccc2d47b2a8237d7.jpeg

Seems the relaunch of a vintage model with a who-knows-what in it is the latest. Your understanding of the facts such as history and leaves is certainly deeper than mine Frank. I am just a very interested collector as usual.

The common thread to it all seems to be following the retail model of the Behike: box of 10; 52/54/56; Fancy schmancy; sexy. What is it? Not as important.

CB

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, bundwallah said:

three vitolas under this marca for the city of Tenerife Spain

Island of Tenerife.... :)

I think it may be pretty much as you say it. Haven't come across anything with ref to those either, but around that time Tabacalera held the sole name-rights for some marcas (such as Montecristo for instance; there had been some lawsuits between Cuba and Spain), and so it is absolutely possible that there have been particular vitolas done exclusively for the Spanish market, just as Sancho Panza as a whole had for pretty long been almost exclusively been available in Spain.

• Thanks 2

Saw that review also. I take their reviews with a grain of sand since they are supported by nc vendors. Their reviews always have cubans low to mid 80's.

Grain of Salt ? To their credit , the guys from Halfwheel regularly acknowledge the fact that Cuban cigarmakers can make the best cigars out there

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Benzopyrene said:

There are pictures of these boxes out there. The boxes have a stamp on the side that say they are authorized by Cubatabaco. Under the name  "Elaborades en Espana bajo licencia de Cubatabano Tabacalera S.A."   Ill review one when I smoke it. 

Interesting - so they had actually been produced in Spain not in Cuba (perhaps similar to CITA or ICT production of small cigars). Wonder how much Cuban leaf they might contain.... Once you review one, could you add some pics of the box?

25 minutes ago, Fugu said:

Interesting - so they had actually been produced in Spain not in Cuba (perhaps similar to CITA or ICT production of small cigars). Wonder how much Cuban leaf they might contain.... Once you review one, could you add some pics of the box?

Cuban Puro. All layers of leaf are Cuban.  Wrapper, binder and filler.  Possibly rolled in Spain? I don't know. Don't have any of these myself. From the sounds of it, they have probably been out of production for a while.

I do not have the box, but I have pics, will ask the owner of the pics if its okay to post them and get back to you. They were rolled in Spain, cuban tobacco, with a license. Thats what makes it pretty cool IMO. They is hardly any info out there on these, halfwheel info came from a guy at Altadis is my understanding, I would love to hear if HSA has this burried in the books somewhere findable. I dont have that kind of pull down there. :-)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Benzopyrene said:

I do not have the box, but I have pics, will ask the owner of the pics if its okay to post them and get back to you. They were rolled in Spain, cuban tobacco, with a license. Thats what makes it pretty cool IMO. They is hardly any info out there on these, halfwheel info came from a guy at Altadis is my understanding, I would love to hear if HSA has this burried in the books somewhere findable. I dont have that kind of pull down there. :-)

I would love to hear more!!!

16 hours ago, Benzopyrene said:

Sure.  That would be great.  

13 minutes ago, Fugu said:

... but where's the link to Cuba, other than the licensed use of the brand name?

"Sancho Panza cigar is recognised among the best and most traditional work of Cuba. The new vitolas ducales hidalgos and Escudos are the result of the collaboration between experts of Cubatabaco and Tabaclara and who have designed the vitolas and selected the leaf of this exceptional cigar"

Can be taken a number of different ways, depending on how you want to read it

24278577_6358404.jpg

• Like 1

This is quite interesting, but my position would be that these are not an official Cubatabaco release and are therefore not Habanos. It would be more in line with a custom roll commissioned by Tabacalera, sanctioned by Cubatabaco with special permission to use the SP marca. A bit complicated, but that's as accurately as I can classify them.

Similar to the many jars that are sold by LCDHs around the world that are not official HSA releases (Siglo VI, Edmundos) outside of the limited W. Europe 2010 releases. These original 2010 jars have been duplicated by the distributors and LCDHs. Cohiba, Behike and Partagas jars are also readily available at LCDHs in Cuba despite these not being official HSA-released jars.