James Norton to be the next James Bond 007??

Here in the UK there seems to be a lot of momentum growing for James Norton to be the new James Bond. I was wondering who the FOH would next grant the license to kill?

My thoughts for what they're worth, James Norton is a fine young actor, and capable of both menace and the right level of smugness. My default position is anybody as long as it's NOT Tom Hardy. Tom Hardy's idea of method acting, is adopting a limp, (perhaps an eyepatch for good measure) and mumbling to a more indecipherable degree than a latter day Brando. 

Michael Fassbender is another name floating around, and is the choice I would prefer. I think Bond should always be in his 40s and a little jaded. Capable of kicking your ass, but would rather push you into a snow machine, and say something witty as your guts get sprayed across the piste. 

I think Daniel Craig as Bond has been very necessary to flight off the competition of Bourne. He's been a very physical Bond, which has put bums on seats, but I would like to see a bit of the craftiness of Roger Moore stirred back into the roll. 

Anyway whats your pick FOH?

james-norton-james-bond-daniel-craig-897765.jpg

• Like 2

there are already several threads on just this.

for me, if they want the tough, hard bloke, a little like craig, then tom hardy is it. if they want the more sophisticated style, henry cavill.

norton can do evil well - happy valley - but i'd have him second tier. bond-lite.

i do not want to go near anything like moore. he was fun and a few films not bad but spare me, that was the low point of the franchise. bond dressed as a clown. it is a wonder the series survived.

but if craig doing two more (not too moore, thankfully), they don't need a decision for 3-4 years at least. lots change and some of those blokes will be too old.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

but if craig doing two more (not too moore, thankfully),

I think your biggest obstacle, maybe that Craig doesn't particularly seem to want to do it. He's been critiqued of late, for lot really showing lots of enthusiasm to continue. 

I'm glad Happy Valley was shown overseas, I thought Norton was pretty electric in being a very nasty piece of work. 

By 'more Moore'. What I mean is there seems to be lots of Bond thats been flushed down the toilet. I'm not looking for a mass of double entendre, or endless suggestive eyebrow raising. Bond especially 'Skyfall' seems to have gotten very serious, which is great for adult audiences, but it's not very low on gadgets and girls.

Now, i'm not necessarily saying you want to lose that seriousness, but when I was boy, Bond had a bit of something for everyone, and I don't think thats the case anymore.  Craig is very foreboding, and dark, but I think his 'Bond charm' or wit falls pretty flat.  It's always delivered dead pan, and in a bit of a miserable fashion.  In fact that how a would describe Craigs Bond "Brilliant!, but bloody miserable"

10 minutes ago, 99call said:

I think your biggest obstacle, maybe that Craig doesn't particularly seem to want to do it. He's been critiqued of late, for lot really showing lots of enthusiasm to continue. 

I'm glad Happy Valley was shown overseas, I thought Norton was pretty electric in being a very nasty piece of work. 

By 'more Moore'. What I mean is there seems to be lots of Bond thats been flushed down the toilet. I'm not looking for a mass of double entendre, or endless suggestive eyebrow raising. Bond especially 'Skyfall' seems to have gotten very serious, which is great for adult audiences, but it's not very low on gadgets and girls.

Now, i'm not necessarily saying you want to lose that seriousness, but when I was boy, Bond had a bit of something for everyone, and I don't think thats the case anymore.  Craig is very foreboding, and dark, but I think his 'Bond charm' or wit falls pretty flat.  It's always delivered dead pan, and in a bit of a miserable fashion.  In fact that how a would describe Craigs Bond "Brilliant!, but bloody miserable"

who knows with the press reports but the latest i saw, a few months back, was that he conceded at the time he finished the last one, he'd had a gutful and said so but now felt that he was feeling different and keen. and that they were negotiating for two more films. assuming that to be reasonably accurate, they won't need to worry for ages. but norton would be around the right age. seen him in quite a few things and always liked his work.

i think that what they flushed away was what needed to go. craig has a dry humour i like. moore just made it absurd. sadly brosnan seemed to try and replicate moore but could not do it as well. can't you remember a single "humourous" line in a brosnan film working - certainly none by him. perhaps coltrane.

craig is probably the closest to the books of all, dalton second.

today's bonds, still plenty of girls but no way can you seriously have the girls treated in quite the same way. audiences would not wear it.

the last four films have been the best "set", though quantum was pretty awful. but that is down to the director. he should never be allowed to do pet food ads again, let alone anything serious. disastrous. that said, if you watch it but zip past the fight scenes, it is not bad. he stuffed up the fight scenes - granted, not a good look for a bond film - and that threw off the entire movie. all the rest is quite good. in the fight scenes, impossible to tell what is happening, who is involved doing what. a mess.

As disliked as he seems to be, I think Christian Bale could pull it off.

Cavill is a great suggestion, too.

Wonder how long until they go Dr. Who, and select a Jane Bond?

What does everybody think about Clive Owen playing Bond?

Idris Elba is British... so I reckon he can probably pull that off.

My thoughts are that Bonds normally alternate between the more Brutal Secret Agent to the Suave Spy, we had Brosnan as the Suave Spy then Craig as the Brutal Secret Agent. Feels like we ought to swing back towards the Suave Spy which sort of rules out Elba to me because I think he'd make a fantastic Brutal Secret Agent bond but can't quite see him as the Suave Spy.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cigcars said:

What does everybody think about Clive Owen playing Bond?

I think he would of done a great job, but i feel as if his time has come and gone. if he was going to get it, it would of been instead of Craig.

Just now, 99call said:

I think he would of done a great job, but i feel as if his time has come and gone. if he was going to get it, it would of been instead of Craig.

i agree. too old now.

i know there was enormous criticism when craig was named but i think it has been an inspired choice.

5 hours ago, shlomo said:

Wasn't there a rumour a while ago about Idris Elba? If he can pull off a solid British accent, he would be stone cold cool.

there were strong rumours but even he has said forget it - too old now.

and shlomo, it might be early january but you are a dead cert for my fave post of the year - if he can pull of a brit accent. brilliant!

7 hours ago, dageshi said:

Idris Elba is British... so I reckon he can probably pull that off.

My thoughts are that Bonds normally alternate between the more Brutal Secret Agent to the Suave Spy, we had Brosnan as the Suave Spy then Craig as the Brutal Secret Agent. Feels like we ought to swing back towards the Suave Spy which sort of rules out Elba to me because I think he'd make a fantastic Brutal Secret Agent bond but can't quite see him as the Suave Spy.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, in terms of Bond rotating between the Brutal and the Suave, you've put it down very concisely. 

It's a shame. Seeing a black Bond would be great, but moreover, irrespective of being black, he's just a very good actor and could carry it off.

Sadly though, somehow it doesn't work. On some level Bond has to be believable in todays world. and unfortunately I think there is still quite a lot of institutional racism in the forces, If I had to gamble, I would guess MI5 is pretty white.  They always say the guys that actually succeed in espionage are the ones that you cant see in the crowd, so unless Idris is going to be infiltrating corruption in Nigeria, sadly I think "The World is not yet ready" which can be the title of his first film, when things have moved on a bit.      On the other hand maybe we actually need things like this to happen, to actually influence change in real life

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

there were strong rumours but even he has said forget it - too old now.

and shlomo, it might be early january but you are a dead cert for my fave post of the year - if he can pull of a brit accent. brilliant!

I am here to please.:lol:

I hope James Bond does not abandon driving an Aston Martin unless it is a Lotus.  I would like to see story toned down to something remotely believable. All of the Bond characters played the part well for the era in which they played.  I really don't have a clear favorite. 

I read some talk about floating the idea of a female Bond.  I really feel Bond needs to be white male in his 40's; that is just who he is...  There is room for British spies of all sorts, but they should be something other than James Bond 007.  Why not create a whole new series and character around woman spy for MI6?  Could end up being better than James Bond!

11 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

i agree. too old now.

i know there was enormous criticism when craig was named but i think it has been an inspired choice.

Too OLD? :huh: Owen is only 53! That's not old!  Roger Moore as Bond was 58 in View To A Kill. Plus Clive looks like he's holding up pretty well. I have to disagree with the age put down. But then - as I've said before...I'm NOT a James Bond fan. I'd probably put Clive Owen on the temporary "arms length" list if he played him, anyway, fan-wise.

35 minutes ago, cigcars said:

Too OLD? :huh: Owen is only 53! That's not old!  Roger Moore as Bond was 58 in View To A Kill. Plus Clive looks like he's holding up pretty well. I have to disagree with the age put down. But then - as I've said before...I'm NOT a James Bond fan. I'd probably put Clive Owen on the temporary "arms length" list if he played him, anyway, fan-wise.

don't get me wrong, i am a big clive fan. love his stuff. but moore was coming to the end of his 007 career at that stage, not starting it. and there was endless criticism that he was far too old then. you want the guy for more than one, possibly two movies. it would not work, and that is no criticism of clive. reality. also, even if craig only does one more flick, clive will be 56 plus before he gets to play him.

people get used to a bond, good or bad. they don't like him to chop and change. one reason they tried hard to get lazenby to sign for a heap more movies. you can't bring a bloke in for one movie.

as for the female 007 that was mentioned somewhere, it is, with the greatest respect, the worst idea in history. the franchise would be terminal the moment they considered it.

• Like 1

What about Chris Evans (Captain America)?
He would manage the swarve Bond well and after Snow Piercer, he has a bit more range that marvel let him show

Cavil is a good choice too, he essentially played a Bond-esque character in The Man From Uncle, so take that as either a positive or a negative

As for a female Bond?
I much prefer they start a fresh franchise with a lady spy (I'm thinking Emily Blunt) rather than try and piggy back off an established franchise.
In the event a female bond film was successful, I imagine there'd be a bunch of people out there saying the film only made money cause it was titled as a Bond film where a fresh franchise would own all of its success

58 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

as for the female 007 that was mentioned somewhere, it is, with the greatest respect, the worst idea in history. the franchise would be terminal the moment they considered it.

Completely agree with this. 

I think the possibility of strong characters in and around Bond  (whether female or not) could be achieved better with "continuation characters" like Felix Leiter, played by Geoffrey Wright in both the 2006-08 films.  

It's pretty impossible to put the right degree of 'flesh' on characters over the course of a single film. Thats the obvious bonus of Q, M and Moneypenny etc. but it would be nice to see greater proportion of characters come and go, instead of being killed off within one movie.  This is where I think Bond in the early years failed the fairer sex, by just writing them as temporary conquests that come and go (as it were). I think it would be fascinating if they did a better job of portraying the "Peter Parker/Spiderman dilemma" i.e. wanting some aspects of a normal healthy life, but having them destroyed at every corner. They tried it with Eva Green, but again it was all too quick.

Rumour has it that Bond is to be married in the next film, so I hope they do a good job of it. i.e Teresa's tragic death.........poor bugger

16 minutes ago, 99call said:

Completely agree with this. 

I think the possibility of strong characters in and around Bond  (whether female or not) could be achieved better with "continuation characters" like Felix Leiter, played by Geoffrey Wright in both the 2006-08 films.  

It's pretty impossible to put the right degree of 'flesh' on characters over the course of a single film. Thats the obvious bonus of Q, M and Moneypenny etc. but it would be nice to see greater proportion of characters come and go, instead of being killed off within one movie.  This is where I think Bond in the early years failed the fairer sex, by just writing them as temporary conquests that come and go (as it were). I think it would be fascinating if they did a better job of portraying the "Peter Parker/Spiderman dilemma" i.e. wanting some aspects of a normal healthy life, but having them destroyed at every corner. They tried it with Eva Green, but again it was all too quick.

Rumour has it that Bond is to be married in the next film, so I hope they do a good job of it. i.e Teresa's tragic death.........poor bugger

be very surprised if they marry him again. i once read that the producers considered that their greatest mistake - marrying him in OHMSS.

felix has been all over the place. amazing number of actors have played the same role. and nice to see him with his legs back.

i think what they have tried to do this time is build that continuity. M with judy dench was getting on so they had to bring in someone who could do it for the sort of length bernard lee achieved. they have explained the new moneypenny (lord spare us from the idiocy of the moneypenny of brosnan), the new Q. think they have done it well.

29 minutes ago, polarbear said:

What about Chris Evans (Captain America)?

and if i may also jump in here, he could be laurence olivier but does anyone really ever envisage the brits allowing captain america to play james bond?

they might stretch to the commonwealth, a la lazenby, but no way are they allowing a yank to play 007. there'd be riots.

• Like 1