This really just happened...

41 minutes ago, Fugu said:

We won't believe this nonsense official explication - do we?!

Yeah, it’s hard to imagine it could be that simple. We’ll probably never know the truth.

On 1/14/2018 at 4:38 AM, Smokin911 said:

The folks in charge will be looking for a scapegoat,  for sure.

When,  in reality,   the heads that should roll are the ones at the top who allowed a system to be in place where a mistake like this could happen,  without some check or confirmation.  "Bubba",  hitting the button at a shift change is farcical. 

Whole story is SCARY,   in the event itself,  and as a statement as to where we are in the world at this time. 

This. When it happened, I immediately, felt SO BAD for the guy who did it. I don't live in Hawaii, but I was pretty impressed with the response and apology. 

Got a text from my little brother - he and his wife are in the Islands for a vacation when he received the emergency alert.

It was more than a little chilling. Knowing that a missile launch would "require" a response. Thinking about final words to my loved ones.

At least it was a mess up and not the real thing.  

Glad we are all still here! :(

As someone who works in an emergency management related field, this is a complete FOOBAR by the authorities and a nightmare to the citizens.  Something sounds fishy about this.  On the plus side.  I haven't heard of any stories where someone used this "event" as an excuse to go out and cause mayhem.  "Well. Hawaii is a goner, but imma go down the street and shoot up that bastard that stole my macadamia's last year" 

• Like 2

Amazing at the relative lack of outrage against the Hawaiian government over this clusterf*ck. Can you imagine the civil unrest, destruction, outrage if the current US President or his administration made the same mistake on the US National Level? Sure tells you something about the main stream media.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Buck14 said:

Amazing at the relative lack of outrage against the Hawaiian government over this clusterf*ck. Can you imagine the civil unrest, destruction, outrage if the current US President or his administration made the same mistake on the US National Level? Sure tells you something about the main stream media.

Hawaiians are probably not as uptight as mainlanders! :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Hawaiians are probably not as uptight as mainlanders! :P

Given the fact my neighbour across the street literally knocked on every door in his ‘tighty whities’ underpants I’d say your probably right.

18 hours ago, bundwallah said:

As someone who works in an emergency management related field, this is a complete FOOBAR by the authorities and a nightmare to the citizens.  Something sounds fishy about this.  On the plus side. 

I work in mission critical environments.  This was not an innocent mistake.  Of all the "wrong buttons" someone could pick.  They click this one and acknowledge the choice with a 2nd dialogue box?  How is this even a pre-set alert; shouldn't this be a national alert?  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Danimalia said:

This. When it happened, I immediately, felt SO BAD for the guy who did it. I don't live in Hawaii, but I was pretty impressed with the response and apology. 

If there was any malice behind this those involved need to serve many years behind bars.

Of course there is going to be someone to crucify.  Not the fact only. One button by one person with no fail safe will make it seem like millions of people are going to die.  But blame the guy to pressed the button.  Yeah ok sounds good. 

15 hours ago, Wertman said:

Of course there is going to be someone to crucify.  Not the fact only. One button by one person with no fail safe will make it seem like millions of people are going to die.  But blame the guy to pressed the button.  Yeah ok sounds good. 

Well it was two buttons; "yes" and "are your sure yes".  This was intentional IMO or a failure from the top down.  Either case needs several people hung to dry.

And now for something completely different. Local comedian Frank Delima captures well the thoughts that were going through many a Hawaiian’s head that morning:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...