FORMULA 1

Why F1's fastest lap point isn't such a bad idea

jm1928fe165.jpg

The FIA has just passed a new ruling ahead of the 2019 Formula 1 season, one which has been reintroduced after a 60-year absence from the series. A point will now be awarded for the fastest lap of the race.

There has been a slight kickback from the fan base on the idea of bringing this rule into place as there is a fear it won't provide any value or could even potentially decide a championship.

Many may not know, but the regulation had been previously a part of F1 from 1950-1958, and only in the final year of being part of the regulations did the rule play a part in deciding a world championship.

Vanwall's Sir Sterling Moss had won more races during the 1958 season; but it was Ferrari's Mike Hawthorn, who despite having only the one victory at the French Grand Prix in Reims, won the title by a single point thanks to his extra fastest lap – four to Moss’ three.

The worst fear people seem to have is a repeat of Formula E Season two finale, in which Lucas di Grassi and Sebastien Buemi collided early on, spent some time in the pits to fix their cars and then proceeded to come back onto the track to try and claim the fastest lap to get the point they needed to win the championship.

It was farcical and having such an event take place within F1 would go down like a lead balloon and make a mockery of the series. But such a situation is unlikely considering the framework of how the sport operates. It may even be a good thing and here's why I believe that could be true…

jm1928fe290.jpg

Racing at the front

It's no secret that in recent years the front-running drivers have enjoyed a performance advantage over the rest of the field and can adapt their own tyre strategies on a whim, sometimes even progressing through Q2 on the harder compound and still out-qualifying their softer-clad midfield rivals.

It often means the pace-setters have no concern undertaking a one-stop strategy, pushing where they need to, and conserving rubber at other stages of the Grand Prix, often settling for the position they’re in if there’s little chance of catching and passing a rival – why risk crashing?

Should a point for fastest lap be on offer - the game changes slightly. There’s now added motivation to push harder in the closing laps. We could well see drivers getting locked into a battle for fastest lap as they trade quickest times, with each passing lap pushing harder and harder.

This increases the level of tension, it adds risk and it adds pressure, both of which contribute to mistakes and could bring about a change of order through misfortune.

It could also extend a championship battle by a race or two, though it also runs the risk of cutting short a battle, though this is only likely if a particular driver is dominating a season and, well, we all know who was going to win anyway!

jm1901ma92.jpg

Midfield edge

If we turn our attention to the tightly-contested midfield pack where almost any one of six teams at present is likely to be running in the remaining points-paying positions, a point for fastest lap raises the stakes here too which could shape the midfield battle for the season.

Sergio Perez, Fernando Alonso, and Kevin Magnussen have all be able to claim fastest laps in races over the past couple of years in normal racing conditions, courtesy of taking on fresher and softer tyres during the final stint of a Grand Prix, therefore it isn’t out of their grasp and could provide vital extra points in a closely fought midfield.

The midfield gaggle would be left with a dilemma as the fastest lap point is only handed out to a driver if they finish inside the top 10.

There is the option to drop positions in favour of making a second pit-stop in order to bolt on a set of the softest compound tyres and drive the wheels off the car in order to claim said championship point while making places in the latter stages of the race. A late virtual or real safety car could also throw this option into the mix for those teams and change the outlook of the race.

By doing this, it would make the midfield battle all the more tense with plenty of teams being able to choose from forcing their drivers to up the pace to avoid the possibility of being overtaken later in the race, or stopping themselves and following their competitors in a battle for the fastest lap point.

Some may see that as a little bit gimmicky, but it would make for great racing as it would force drivers to push harder, again increasing the tension and drama of a race.

jm1927fe348.jpg

Why not give it a chance?

Far too many have complained about the lack of drama in F1 races, especially when it comes to tightly knit street circuits sans Baku or other tracks perhaps like the Hungaroring or Melbourne where following another car and overtaking is already a very tricky challenge.

If the opportunity to increase the level of tension and drama without directly affecting technical regulations, qualifying sessions or even the tyres which Pirelli continuously adapt anyway, then why should we not take the opportunity to trial a previous rule to see what it will change on track?

It also means the title fight is concentrated on a Sunday; there have previously been discussions as to whether points should be allocated for qualifying – some junior formula series and DTM adopt this method – but it does risk a championship being mathematically secured on a Saturday. And that would be the dampest of damp squibs.

People are always trying to come up with new ways of trying to create or innovate new ways to spice up the racing; very few look back and try to revive an old idea which could work. At least let’s give it a chance for 2019 and see how it impacts not only the title, but the racing too.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have said it many times over the years, the FIA need to appoint stewards that are the same people for EVERY race. I have always felt that some stewards are biased toward "some" drivers (Of cour

F1 needs a Friday program including testing or the race tracks are going to lose a lot of ticket sales.  As a TV viewer, I find the Friday practice sessions quite enjoyable.   On par with the rest of

WILLIAMS CONFIRM SIROTKIN TO RACE AND KUBICA RESERVE Russian rookie Sergey Sirotkin will race for Williams this season after being chosen ahead of Polish rival Robert Kubica on Tuesday in wh

Robert Kubica: Australia will be an 'emotional' second debut

jm1901ma56.jpg

Williams' Robert Kubica has said the upcoming Australian Grand Prix will be an 'emotional' second debut for him having spent eight years away from Formula 1.

Kubica will drive in Melbourne as a full-time racing driver for the first time since 2010 when he drove for Renault in tricky sodden conditions, finishing second behind race-winner Jenson Button.

After a tough winter period for himself with the delays in getting the Williams FW42 to pre-season testing, the Pole has admitted he still doesn't feel 100 per cent prepared for the season ahead after limited track time for himself and rookie team-mate George Russell.

Despite the pre-season setbacks, Kubica has made it clear he is keen to get stuck in and take on the challenge ahead of him.

"It will be a very emotional Grand Prix," said Kubica. "It is the second debut for me after being away from the sport for many years. My last Formula One race was in Abu Dhabi 2010, so I am looking forward to going to Australia with a few things to cover and learn.

"I hope to enjoy the weekend and that everything will run smoothly without any big issues so I can concentrate on my driving and discover a new Formula 1.

"It is one thing to drive a Formula 1 car, and it is another thing to actually race it. Over the years, I think the approach to races has changed, so I have a lot of things to discover but I am looking forward to it."

Russell meanwhile is looking forward to his debut as an F1 driver and says he will enjoy the experience no matter the outcome of the weekend.

"I am extremely excited for Melbourne. It will be my first race in Formula 1 and it is a dream come true.

"It will be a very proud and extremely surreal moment for me standing on the starting grid with everybody preparing for the race, and I am really looking forward to the whole experience. I am going to make sure that I enjoy it, won’t take it for granted and make the most of it..

Red Bull will win 'at least five races' in 2019 - Helmut Marko

jm1928fe72.jpg

Red Bull will win "at least five races" in 2019 and are confident they are quicker than Mercedes, but have a small deficit to Ferrari, according to Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko.

Whilst Red Bull showed strong form during testing in Barcelona last week, their ranking within the pecking order is difficult to call, and despite two crashes for Pierre Gasly costing them valuable development time – which Marko described as "unnecessary" – the Austrian remain optimistic they can win more races this year, which is their first with Honda power, than they did in 2018 when they won three with Renault.

"Ferrari are favorite," Marko exclaimed in an interview with Germany's Motorsport-Magazin. "Ferrari were quick as if they had already done a test for a week [beforehand].

"We were on the back foot due to Gasly's two accidents and the resulting loss of time.

"We brought things that did not fully develop due to Gasly's crashes. Especially the second crash which was completely unnecessary. [He] must clearly show more discipline!"

Marko added: "We will win at least five races," though noted that they will need to improve at certain tracks compared to last year, as the RB14 was strong on street-type circuits, but fell back on traditional high-speed tracks: "The tracks on which we are competitive need to be broader."

When asked to predict where they stand heading to the opening race of the 2019 season in Melbourne next weekend, he replied: "It's hard to say, but we think we're between Ferrari and Mercedes."

Romain Grosjean: Haas ready to attack opening Formula 1 races

jm1927fe231.jpg

Romain Grosjean has underlined that Haas is in a position to “attack” the opening Grand Prix of 2019 next weekend as Haas eyes a strong start in Australia.

Haas has typically performed well at the Albert Park Street Circuit, with Grosjean taking sixth on its debut three years ago, while last season it led the midfield pack in race trim.

A double pit stop problem cost Haas a strong haul of points – with Kevin Magnussen and Grosjean running fourth and fifth at the time – but the team rebounded to ultimately classify fifth in the Constructors’ Championship.

Haas set encouraging lap times – but in terms of short- and long-runs – during pre-season testing in Spain and Grosjean reckons the team can come out fighting with its VF-19.

“The most important thing was to get a good feeling in the car early on,” said Grosjean on his initial feeling with the new car.

“When you get that good feeling, you know the car is well born.

“That’s important to start the season – to be able to start on a high. It went well. Reliability, we had a few issues, but we’ve been working well to sort them out.

“I believe we’re now ready to attack the first race in Australia. Obviously, there’s always more and more you want to do, but then it’s becoming circuit-specific.

“Now it’s about getting the baseline setup in Melbourne and then fine tuning for Bahrain, China and so on.”

Steiner stressed that Haas has been practicing its pit stops every day in order to avoid a repeat of last year’s disaster.

“We obviously haven’t forgotten last year’s pit stops in Australia, which went wrong,” he said.

“This year we’ve put a lot of emphasis on arriving there prepared. We brought a 2018 car to our car build in Italy so we could train every day and work on pit stops.

“We did the same in Barcelona, as the current car is not always available for pit stop practice when you test. Every day the whole crew practiced around 10 to 12 pit stops a day.”

MIKA: I'm really worried about Grosjean proclaiming he's ready "To attack"..... ;) 

I watched Netflix's show "Formula 1 Drive To Survive" which is brilliant by the way, and it truly exposes just how much Romain f**ked up in 2018 and how much it actually pissed team principal Gunther Steiner. Truly remarkable that HAAS actually renewed his contract! But it does highlight how unique and genuinely great the HAAS team are to work along side with. Highly recommend you all watch the show.

Formula 1 has to "deliver" to keep Red Bull - Horner

Formula 1 has to

Red Bull Racing team principal Christian Horner says that Formula 1 has to "deliver" if the energy drinks company is to maintain its presence in the sport in 2021 and beyond.
Teams are not committed yet as no new Concorde Agreement has been signed, and F1's new management has made it clear that those who had preferential deals under Bernie Ecclestone – including Red Bull – will have to accept a level playing field, with payments based on performance.

Red Bull is also concerned about budget caps, as it is the only one of the top three teams not linked to a car manufacturer and engine supply, and it has doubts about how equitable any restrictions could be.

Horner acknowledged that Red Bull boss Dietrich Mateschitz could pull the plug if he's not happy with the shape of F1 in 2021.

"Absolutely," Horner told Motorsport.com. "And that's his right.

"He's passionate about motorsport, he's passionate about F1, he's enthusiastic about the new engine partnership with Honda and the potential that brings, but of course F1 has to deliver for the Red Bull brand as well.

"It needs to be exciting, it needs to be cost effective, the racing's got to be great, and we need to be able to play on an equal and level playing field with OEM and manufacturer teams.

"I think like all of us he's waiting to see what is F1 post-2020."

Horner said a flying start to the Honda partnership would not be essential to maintaining Mateschitz's motivation.

"He's never lacked motivation. Through good days and bad days he's always been tremendously supportive, and invested probably more into F1 than any other entity.

"Two F1 teams, a grand prix, plus all the promotion that Red Bull does around the world supporting F1, it's enormous. He wouldn't do that if he didn't believe in the sport."

Ecclestone believes that while there is no Concorde, there remains a risk that teams or manufacturers could pull out of the sport.

"The longer they leave it, the more chance there is of some of the teams stopping," the former F1 boss told Motorsport.com.

"Maybe Mercedes will be stuck into Formula E, because they think Formula E is more in line with the way the car industry is going to go.

"Red Bull don't need to be in it. They get so much publicity from all the other things they do. For them if they stopped it's not going to damage them at all.

"People think Ferrari would never stop, but the Ferrari brand is so, so strong it would be difficult to damage Ferrari. They could easily do something else in motorsport.

"The longer they leave it, the worse it is for everyone – it's worse for the teams, worse for Liberty.

"From what I understand, nobody has said the most important thing, which is this is what we want to pay you guys. We'd like a much better show, and we're prepare to pay you this.

"I think if I was a shareholder I'd be happier once all that got put to bed. Five years, everyone's happy, the teams are happy, the promoters are happy, and get on with it."

Dirty air impact reduced by five times in F1 2021 concept

Dirty air impact reduced by five times in F1 2021 concept

Formula 1 is now on course to reduce the impact of dirty air on performance by as much as five times with its 2021 regulations, sporting director Ross Brawn has revealed.

F1's switch to higher-downforce cars in 2017 triggered a reduction in overtakes and wheel-to-wheel action, as drivers struggled to run close behind other cars due to an increased loss of performance while running in the car ahead's turbulent wake.

Raising the quality of racing has been a primary aim for the championship's next rules cycle, and while F1 has already introduced a raft of changes aimed at increasing overtaking for 2019, series chiefs have promised a much more substantial impact from the 2021 rules.

When F1's initial 2021 car concepts were launched in Singapore last year, Brawn said F1 had designs that would allow cars to keep as much as 80 percent of their performance in dirty air – but ahead of this year's campaign he has offered an estimate that was bigger still.

"There's a massive difference already," he said. "With the current car, two car lengths behind, you lose 50 percent of the performance.

"The car we have [in the works] now, you lose 10 percent of the performance. So it's a huge improvement over where we are today."

The true impact of dirty air is difficult to measure precisely, with FIA's head of single-seater matters Nikolas Tombazis having estimated that 2018 cars lost only "about 30 percent" of their downforce while following another car "15 to 20 metres back" - as opposed to Brawn's suggestion of 50 percent at two car lengths.

Tombazis had targeted a one-third decrease in performance loss with this year's rules.

An overall reduction of downforce has been frequently mooted as a solution to F1's current overtaking woes, but Brawn believes this wouldn't suit F1 on a conceptual level.

"I've heard it commented that we should get rid of the wings and the downforce and just rely on mechanical grip and then the cars will be able to race each other," Brawn said.

"The problem with that is they'll be slow. And the speed of the Formula 1 car is what takes your breath away.

"We don't want to lose the speed of the Formula 1 car. We want it to be the fastest racing car on the planet, the most impressive racing car on the planet - and you can only do that by harnessing the aerodynamic performance.

"So I don't think we can take a simplistic view and just get rid of all the downforce and think that'll solve it.

"What we need is the downforce to be delivered in a way that cars can race each other.

"Overtaking can sometimes be used as the measure of success, but in fact close racing and the ability of cars to run behind each other and run side-by-side and get close and attack is the thing that everyone gets excited about.

"Even if it ultimately didn't culminate in an overtaking being achieved - but [as long as] they're fighting each other."

Monster pushing for Hamilton/Rossi ride swap

Monster pushing for Hamilton/Rossi ride swap

Energy drinks company Monster is aiming to arrange a ride swap between reigning Formula 1 champion Lewis Hamilton and MotoGP star Valentino Rossi.
As a personal sponsor of both Rossi and Hamilton, Monster has been pursuing the possibility of such an event for the past three years, albeit with little success.

However, its new status as the Yamaha MotoGP factory team's title sponsor, replacing Movistar from 2019 onwards, means it can ramp up its push to put Hamilton on an M1 bike and Rossi at the wheel of a Mercedes F1 car.

“This possibility has been under consideration for years, but we have not been able to realise it,” a Yamaha spokesman said.

“We'll see what happens this time. There's still nothing firm, far from it.”

The contracts of both Rossi and Hamilton theoretically prevent any such ride swap from taking place before the final F1 grand prix of the season, which will be run on December 1 in Abu Dhabi.

Monster had set up a Mercedes F1 run for Rossi's former teammate Jorge Lorenzo at Silverstone in 2016.

Lorenzo has since split with Monster and now carries Red Bull branding following his move to Honda. Red Bull organised a Toro Rosso F1 test for Honda's reigning MotoGP champion Marc Marquez and his then-teammate Dani Pedrosa last year.

D1NC3YzXQAALyMu.jpg

Hamilton is in Qatar for the MotoGP season opener this weekend as a guest of Mercedes F1 backer Petronas, which sponsors Yamaha's new satellite team SRT and is also believed to be keen on arranging a ride swap for the F1 champion.

Hamilton tested a World Superbike-spec Yamaha R1 at Jerez last year, running alongside factory riders Sam Lowes and Michael van der Mark.

He said during the Barcelona F1 pre-season test that he was keen on having further bike outings in the near future.

Valentino Rossi, Yamaha Factory Racing

Why we love... the Australian Grand Prix

image.jpg

The first race of the 2019 F1 season is nearly upon us - and what better place to get the new campaign up and running than Australia? Here's why we love going racing at Melbourne's glorious Albert Park...

After a long winter, the lights finally go out!

image.jpg

Oh yes, after two weeks of testing in Barcelona, Australia means it’s time to stop with all the guesswork and see where each team really stands. No more do we have matters clouded by unknown fuel loads or power unit settings, tyre compounds or different track temperatures – now it all gets real, real quick.

It’s finally time to see the real pecking order - all of the cars, at peak performance, at the same time.

But on top of that, Australia means racing is back. After nearly four months, the five lights will go out on Sunday afternoon and that thrilling sight of a full grid hurtling towards Turn 1 returns. Not like testing, where drivers politely wave each other through; it’s time to go wheel-to-wheel again.

If recent experience is anything to go by, that doesn’t necessarily mean the fastest car is going to ease to victory, either, with strategy and reliability also being put to the test. It’s not just the cars that have to be operating at peak performance to win a Grand Prix.

And for the rookies on the grid, it’s a symbolic moment to make their first start in Formula 1 and be able to officially call themselves a Grand Prix driver.

image.jpg

The party atmosphere

There’s something about the knowledge that racing is back and all the anticipation that brings that leads to a back-to-school atmosphere in Australia (if only you enjoyed going back to school).

The city really embraces Formula 1, which results in the teams and drivers getting close to the fans throughout the weekend. This year it will all kick off a day early with the first ever official F1 launch event in the centre of Melbourne, which will see all 20 drivers taking to the stage and looking ahead to the new season.

The atmosphere is often helped by great weather, but even rain doesn’t dampen the enthusiasm of the extremely knowledgeable fans at Albert Park. Drivers are treated like rock stars when they arrive every morning and make their way down the Melbourne Walk on the way to the paddock, posing for photos and signing autographs on the way in. That energy always seems to translate onto TV too.

The fans get to see their heroes in an optimistic mood - most of the time anyway - as the start of the new season brings hope of a strong year. And even those who are in for a difficult weekend are excited to be going back racing after such a long spell without.

image.jpg

Albert Park rocks

Let's not beat about the bush: Albert Park is an iconic season-opening location. Whether you’re awake at weird hours to watch from whichever part of the world you’re in, or you’re there in person, it’s a great venue to kick things off at.

On top of the atmosphere we’ve already mentioned, there’s not a bad view in the house. Fans can get really close to the cars given the street circuit nature, while also relaxing in a beautiful park when there’s no track action, all while being just minutes from the centre of the city.

That Melbourne skyline produces a stunning backdrop and affords some awesome camera shots for television viewers too, with the circuit largely unchanged since it made its debut on the calendar back in 1996. While the skyscrapers overlook Albert Park, just a few blocks in the other direction is the beach, and being so close to both encapsulates plenty of the character of a stunning city.

image.jpg

Turns 11 and 12 are spectacular

Despite Albert Park being a temporary circuit - with the track itself made up of public roads that wind their way around the park - there is still the opportunity to see a Formula 1 car at its brutal best.

High-speed cornering and changes of direction are where the true awesomeness of an F1 car’s performance can be displayed, and Melbourne has just the spot. Turns 11 and 12 make up an extremely high-speed chicane, where cars approach at 300km/h and pull nearly 5G laterally as they tackle the left-hander.

On its own Turn 11 would be impressive, as the car gets loaded up on the outside wheels, but then it’s asked to immediately change direction for a flat-out right hander at Turn 12 that requires precision and control. Run a little wide on the exit and there’s grass and gravel waiting for you.

That in itself is another great aspect of Albert Park, with mistakes often punished. There is little in the way of tarmac run-off area, with gravel traps and grass verges lining most of the circuit, while there are plenty of close walls on a number of different corner exits, and they’re pretty unforgiving. Even in practice, drivers can be caught out, while the accidents in race situations can be pretty spectacular, too. Just ask Fernando Alonso.

The winner's trophy is awesome

Surely one of the most iconic, best-looking trophies in F1, the Australian Grand Prix winner’s prize is a stunning reward for the driver standing on the top step on Sunday evening.

What might look like a simple-ish dish from afar is actually a shining silver version of Jack Brabham’s steering wheel, in homage to the Aussie motorsport legend who won three F1 drivers’ championships in 1959, 1960 and 1966.

The trophy was officially named the Sir Jack Brabham Trophy following his death at the age of 88 in 2014, and features the three spokes of a classic F1 steering wheel, modeled on the one Brabham used in the Cooper Climax he drove to his first drivers’ title.

image.jpg

The design has some unintended advantages too. The trophy makes for an effective shield for a driver trying to protect himself from a face full of champagne during the post-race celebrations, and acts as an excellent mirror to enhance the photographers’ podium shots!

FERRARI 90TH ANNIVERSARY LOGO REPLACES MISSION WINNOW

Ferrari SF90 livery 90th anniversary

The Mission Winnow saga took another turn when Ferrari today revealed the 8oth year anniversary livery they will use for the season-opening Australian Grand Prix this weekend in Melbourne, which replaces the original livery that caused a storm Down Under in the build-up to the race.

Anti-tobacco activists saw through the smokescreen of the Mission Winnow (aka Phillip Morris aka Marlboro) logo – likened to cigarettes scattered in a red ashtray – which the team ran with since Suzuka last year.

Instead, Ferrari COO Louis Camilleri promised a surprise livery for Albert Park, his team has since obliged with the 90th-anniversary’ paint job they revealed on Tuesday.

The Scuderia announced in a press release:

2019 is a special year for Scuderia Ferrari, as it was 90 years ago, in 1929, that the company was established by Enzo Ferrari and his associates.

The name of this year’s car, the SF90, is already a celebration of this anniversary and, on top of that, the Maranello marque has decided to honour this achievement in an even more evident manner in Melbourne.

Over the Australian Grand Prix weekend, the SF90 livery, the drivers’ race suits and some of the team’s track equipment will bear the logo celebrating 90 years of the Scuderia.

In fact, the race in Melbourne represents the start of celebrations for this special anniversary, which will run throughout the Formula 1 season and also feature in the Prancing Horse company’s other racing activities.

In May, the Ferrari Museum in Maranello will launch a special show dedicated to the anniversary, which will take visitors on a journey through the history of one of the most amazing institutions in the world of sport.

A bit of history. Scuderia Ferrari came into being on 16th November 1929 in the offices of the notary, Della Fontana of Modena, the company established as the Società Anonima Scuderia Ferrari, with its headquarters in via Trento and Trieste.

It was approved by the courts on 29th November and from that moment on the company was effectively operational. The directors of the company were Alfredo and Augusto Caniato, Enzo Ferrari and Ferruccio Testi. Alfa Romeo and Pirelli were also involved.

The team made its debut in the 1930 Mille Miglia and its first win came in the Trieste-Opicina on 15th June that same year, courtesy of the great Tazio Nuvolari. Motorcycles also featured in the Scuderia’s history, from 1932 to 1934 and 1932 marked the first appearance of the Prancing Horse as part of the livery of the Alfa Romeos entered by Ferrari.

The symbol came from the family of war hero Francesco Baracca, the horse set on a shield with a yellow background, representing the colour of the city of Modena. Its first win came in the Spa 24 Hours thanks to Antonio Brivio and Eugenio Siena.

Starting off racing Alfa Romeo cars and then, from 1947, with cars built in-house, Scuderia Ferrari became the most successful race team of all time, taking thousands of wins in some of the most important races in the world. In Formula 1 alone, it has taken 16 Constructors’ titles and 15 Drivers’.

In the world of endurance racing, Ferrari has nine victories to its name in the Le Mans 24 Hours, two at Daytona and five FIA WEC titles and has even been successful in rallying.

MARKO: THE RB15 IS THE BEST AND MOST EXPENSIVE CAR WE HAVE BUILT

red-bull-ferrari-001.jpg

A Red Bull upgrade originally scheduled for April’s Chinese Grand Prix has been brought forward to the 2019 season opener, a positive sign according to motorsport advisor Helmut Marko who believes the most expensive car the team has ever built will do the business.

Red Bull will race with new engines from Honda this year, starting at this weekend’s Formula 1 Rolex Australian Grand Prix 2019.

And upgrades planned for April will be in place in Melbourne, with Marko praising chief technical officer Adrian Newey’s fast work.

“Parts that were planned for the third race were brought forward, thanks to all the pressure he [Newey] could provide to get them onto the car for Melbourne,” Marko told a Red Bull television channel.

Marko is extremely buoyant about the hopes of the new Red Bull car and said his confidence is shared by the team’s employees, “Our optimism is not unfounded. I see us behind Ferrari over the race distance but ahead of Mercedes.”

“The RB15 is certainly the best and most expensive car in the history of Red Bull Racing, if you take efficiency and the technical perfection of the parts. Now we are back on track. Now we have another chance to drive for victories on our own.”

Marko said Red Bull’s performances in pre-season testing meant he had every reason to be bullish, “There have been many negatives voices saying that Honda can’t do it. But we’ve never had such faultless test days.”

“If we have more horsepower, it’s only logical that we have to look forward this year. Last year, we had four victories. Five victories are realistic. I hope there will be even more.”

Max Verstappen will race alongside Pierre Gasly for Red Bull in 2019.

WOLFF: LOOKS LIKE WE WILL HAVE A PROPER FIGHT ON OUR HANDS

lewis-hamilton-toto-wolff-valtteri-bottas-77778708.jpg

Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff would be forgiven if every now and then he stood in front of the team’s trophy cabinet and admired the ten trophies the team has collected in the past five years during his watch.

It’s a remarkable accomplishment by a truly remarkable team, arguably the strongest ever assembled and certainly up there with the great McLaren team of Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost or the golden era at Ferrari with Michael Schumacher.

At the same time, 2019 might well be the season in which the mighty Silver Arrows meet their match. Wolff and his team expect a huge battle with Ferrari and maybe Red Bull as they set off to defend their 2018 titles at this weekend’s season-opening Australian Grand Prix.

In a team report previewing Round 1, Wolff declared. “It’s finally time to go racing again. Everyone in Brackley and Brixworth has poured so much effort and commitment into this new car, so we’re excited to finally see it compete on track in Melbourne.”

“Last year, we had to give it absolutely everything to come out on top. From what we have learned so far, this year will be even tougher. It will push us to our limits – and that’s an exciting prospect for every single one of us.”

Offering the slightest hint that their W10 package is undergoing a ‘difficult birth‘ ahead of the new season, Wolff said, “Judging from the performance in Barcelona, it looks like we will have a proper fight on our hands in Melbourne.”

“But an F1 season is not just about who comes out of the blocks quickest; under new regulations like we have this year, it is about who is able to adapt best to the new rules and the new tyres and all the challenges that we will have to master during the year.”

“The most adaptable and agile team will come out on top this season. We have shown in the past that we are fast and flexible and that we can handle every curveball thrown at us.”

“We’re ready for the fight and look forward to the crazy rollercoaster of a new F1 season,” added Wolff whose team has racked up 72 victories during the past five years of this turbo hybrid era.

Expect 'quite different' car in Melbourne - Racing Point

jm1827no229.jpg

Racing Point described their 2019 Formula 1 car as "vanilla" during pre-season testing, but that will start to change as they introduce upgrades during the early part of the season, starting this weekend in Melbourne.

CEO and team principal Otmar Szafnauer says fans should expect to see a "quite different" car compared to the RP19 that Sergio Perez and Lance Stroll tested in Barcelona, after delaying major upgrades in order to give themselves the maximum amount of development time.

"Winter testing saw us achieve our main objectives and we took away a lot of positives, but the car you will see in Melbourne is quite different from the car we ran in Barcelona," said Szafnauer.

"We took the strategic decision to give ourselves the maximum time to develop the car, to maximise our performance at the first race, and that meant holding back a little during testing.

"It’s not easy introducing new parts late in the day and we know it will be a steep learning curve, but we believe this approach will pay off in the long run."

Szafnauer expects Racing Point to be fighting for points, but highlights just how competitive the midfield is likely to be this year.

"The aim this year is to take a step forward and compete at the front of the midfield once again," he added. "We recognise this won’t be an easy task because it’s shaping up to be one of the closest midfields we have seen for a long time – with just a few tenths separating a handful of teams. 

"We are realistic about the challenge ahead of us and the amount of work needed to achieve our objectives. It’s a long season and we have a solid development plan in place.

"I’d like to think we can be fighting for points in Melbourne and that’s certainly the first objective heading into the first race weekend."

Hamilton: Midfield closer to frontrunners in 2019

Hamilton: Midfield closer to frontrunners in 2019

Lewis Hamilton believes Formula 1's frontrunners only have half-a-second's advantage over the midfield, and thinks the leading teams from that group could achieve bigger results this season.

The five-time world champion's Mercedes team, plus rivals Ferrari and Red Bull, have enjoyed a significant advantage over the rest of the pack in recent seasons.

That gap between the top three and the midfield grew last season, but aerodynamic rule changes have mixed up teams' designs for 2019, and Hamilton said during pre-season testing that the order was a lot closer.

He said that Ferrari and Red Bull-Honda would be in championship contention "the other teams at the back have closed up, as far as I'm aware".

"I don't know which team is fourth, but they are a lot closer than they were in the past," said Hamilton.

"Before there was like a second gap or something like that, I think it's now within half a second or maybe less, which is awesome.

"How their development will be through the year, whether they have the capacity to develop as the top three teams do, is probably the biggest question.

"It's going to be exciting. Maybe you're going to see some races where Renault or Force India [Racing Point] will be a lot higher than they've been in the past."

By the end of pre-season testing the fastest laptime from an established midfield team was 0.6s slower than Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel's benchmark.

However, the likes of Haas did not appear to set a truly representative time.

New Renault signing Daniel Ricciardo, who has switched from race-winning team Red Bull, expects the midfield group to be determined by small margins.

"A lot of the cars are going to be very close and there isn't going to be much in it," he said.

"So it could just be 'who does a cleaner lap' could make the difference of one or three positions.

"I am looking forward to where everyone stands. It has been pretty close in testing.

"You are still going to get the top couple of teams having a bit of a gap at the start of the season but the midfield certainly looks like it is going to be on.

"I don't think that what we see in Melbourne is going to be the way the whole season plays out.

"It is going to change quite a bit in the season, especially in the first six races or so."

Ricciardo promises even more overtaking in 2019

Ricciardo promises even more overtaking in 2019

Daniel Ricciardo says his flamboyant overtaking ability will be on show more than ever in Formula 1 2019 following his off-season switch to Renault.

Famous for his long-range passing moves, the Aussie reckons a higher chance of being in the midfield thanks to the Renault move will mean more opportunity to make spectacular passes during races, like the ones that helped him secure victory in China last year.

He also says that will be a crucial part of Renault's progress as it looks to hunt down F1's three big teams, with some forceful driving a good way for him and the squad to "stay relevant".

"You'll probably see more of it," said Ricciardo when asked about his overtaking ability.

"I guess the likelihood of starting on the front row, at least in the short-term, is slim. The fact that there will be more cars starting in front of me is higher, so more cars to get through.

"You'll probably see more of the Daniel Ricciardo that you're used to.

"There's no reason for me to hold back. Even more so if we aren't fighting for podiums every weekend; it's even more important for me to have that character on track to try and stay relevant and push the team towards the front."

Ricciardo added that he's looking forward to chasing some points for fastest lap this season, admitting that restricting it to drivers running in the Top 10 has changed his opinion on the subject.

"At first I didn't like it, because that's all I knew," he said.

"I think now they've said it's only if you're in the Top 10. That makes more sense.

"Why we were thinking it wasn't cool at the beginning is because if you're a few laps down you can just put some new tyres on, get fastest lap, and get a point. So 19th is as good as a 10th place finish.

"So the fact they've restricted it to the Top 10 makes more sense.

"I don't know if it's a deal-breaker. I had a few fastest laps last year, so I'll take it for now!"

ALFA ROMEO RELOADED AND RISING

raikkonen.jpg

Alfa Romeo Racing bring a new identity to the grid when they start their new era of racing beginning with the 2019 Formula 1 World Championship season opener in Melbourne on Sunday.

Plenty of fans will be on the lookout for F1 veteran Kimi Raikkonen as he embarks on a new adventure with the Ferrari sister team. The 39-year-old joins F1 rookie Antonio Giovinazzi, as the Alfa Romeo brand returns to Australia for the first time since 1985 Australian Grand Prix in Adelaide.

Above all, their radical looking C38 machine aims to propel the team right into the midfield, as they work to bring the Alfa Romeo name back into the Formula 1 winners’ circle.

Alfa Romeo as an actual constructor has had illustrious F1 experience but in an era that has little or no significance to their current involvement. Nevertheless, the brand has the ability to inspire a big following as racing pedigree is not lacking.

The Ferrari connection inevitably labels them a B-team of sorts, but this will serve only to motivate the troops at Hinwill who are being ably marshalled by their relatively new General.

With what appears to be a handy chassis a bid for Best of the Rest – fourth place in the championship – is not out of the question and would crown a remarkable turnaround for a team that not long ago teetered on extinction.

1550483788.jpg

Frederic Vasseur: The Frenchman acts as Sauber’s managing director and CEO while also being team principal of Alfa Romeo Racing, which replaces the Sauber name in 2019.

The 50-year-old comes from a junior category background, running the highly successful ART Grand Prix team in GP2 during Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton’s championship years in 2005 and 2006 respectively.

The team has changed signifcantly under his charge which began in July 2017, putting order to chaos that characterised Monisha Kaltenborn’s time at the helm. Vasseur’s first order of business was to terminate the Honda agreement that his predecessor had inked and then to further align the operation with Ferrari.

The rewards could well be reaped this year with veteran Raikkonen back in the fold to spearhead their campaign for the next two years. Meanwhile, they bring Giovinazzi up to speed on behalf of Ferrari as they did for young Charles Leclerc.

Kimi-Raikkonen.jpg

Kimi Raikkonen: The Finn astounded the F1 world when, shortly after his dismissal by Ferrari, he announced a two-year deal to race for the team that took a gamble to give him a break in the top tier almost two decades ago.

Sauber took a long shot bet on a precocious kid who had only 23 car races on his CV before he climbed into an F1 cockpit and the rest is history.

In a twist of fate or Karma (or call it what you will) Raikkonen is back at the Swiss outfit albeit older, wiser and with a world title to his name as well as 21 victories. His mere presence in the team signals their intent and ambitions.

While Raikkonen is one of the cleanest drivers in the field, this season he will toil in the mid-grid area where the same cannot be said of his rivals.

If and how he survives the havoc that often prevails in the midfield will be riveting viewing. Uncomfortable in wheel-to-wheel combat situations, too many prangs with these new wide-winged cars might tempt the Iceman to go on another boozy binge or, more likely, simply walk away.

That would be the worst case scenario, and although not unlikely it would also not be outrageous to predict that with a decent car and his experience he will do well and even score a podium on occasions.

Right now Kimi is in a good place, he has regained his good humour, is still always up for a party as the FIA Awards evening proved. We are lucky to have him on the grid, and will be luckier still if he has the equipment to end his illustrious career on a high over the next two seasons.

Whatever the case the driver of the number seven car remains the most popular driver of this era, and perhaps even one of the most appreciated of all time even, at 39.

giovinazzi.jpg

Antonio Giovinazzi: The 25-year-old has raced in F1 twice already, the first time at the 2017 Australian Grand Prix when he substituted far injured Sauber driver Pascal Wehrlein. Considering the short notice the Italian did a good job that weekend qualifying 16th with only an outing in FP3 to prepare. He then went on to finish 12th.

Two weeks later was a totally different story as he crashed the Sauber twice in the same place in qualy and then a day later in the race. His shares plunged, and as a result he dropped behind Charles Leclerc in the Ferrari Driver Academy (FDA) pecking order.

Hence Leclerc’s first season with Sauber last year, while Giovinazzi watched from the sidelines. The Monaco Kid’s promotion to the Scuderia opened the door for the Italian to step up and strut his stuff on the big stage.

Thankfully for him, Ferrari kept the faith and persisted with him. Since then he has had a number of FP1 sessions under his belt making him as ready as any modern day rookie can be for his debut season. However, as unkind as it may seem, it has to be said: keeping it out of the barriers will be Giovi’s priority.

And of course sharing a garage with a veteran like Raikkonen, with vast experience on tap, can only be good for the Italian if he is the kind that looks and learns.

Interesting times lie ahead for Alfa Romeo – reloaded and rising.

IS IT UP OR DOWN THE GRID FOR MCLAREN IN 2019?

2019-Barcelona-Test-1-McLaren-19-Feb-19-2-04-47-PM-1.jpg

The rebuilding stage is a work in progress at McLaren, who come to Albert Park this weekend, for the start of the new Formula 1 World Championship season, hoping for some sort of improvement off the back of last season – finishing eighth in the previous year’s constructors’ championship.

McLaren field an entirely new line-up in 2019, featuring Carlos Sainz and rookie Lando Norris.

The MCL34 has shown good pace, as seen in pre-season testing, however, is yet to prove its reliability. Can McLaren keep it consistent heading into the 2019 season?

These are tough times at Woking in terms of F1 results and with Fernando Alonso gone, the responsibility of making them look good this season falls on Sainz and Norris, a partnership which some have likened to 2007 when ‘homegrown’ rookie Lewis Hamilton, an unknown quantity at the time, teamed up with highly rated double-F1 World Champion Fernando Alonso, and we know what happened there.

2019-Barcelona-Test-1-McLaren-19-Feb-19-7-48-14-AM-1.jpg

Zak Brown, Team Principal: The American marketing guru turned team chief is a former racing driver. The 47-year-old took over from Ron Dennis after his departure in 2016. He occasionally takes part in historical races while overseeing his US-based United Autosports.

Brown also owns the 2011 Bathurst-winning Holden Racing Team Commodore while holding shares in Supercars team Walkinshaw Andretti United, who are competing in this weekend’s Beaurepaires Supercars Melbourne 400 at Albert Park.

He is also Non-Executive Chairman on the board of media company Motorsport Network. His passion for motor racing unquestionable, his leadership yet to convince.

For now, the man of many hats has a five-year plan to return the team to victory lane.

We will presume the first few years were a warm-up and now the journey back to the Formula 1 summit, where they once ruled supreme, has begun and there is no turning back.

Brown is in the hot seat, as he leads out a team vastly different from the one he walked into, and having brought in ‘his people’ to stem the downfall, there are no more excuses, his plan has to deliver from now.

2019BarcelonaTestDay1_X4I0861-2.jpg

Carlos Sainz: The 24-year-old Madrista has replaced fellow Spaniard and idol/mentor Fernando Alonso, the latter’s departure meant his younger compatriot would to stay in Formula 1 after the Renault gig went to Daniel Ricciardo and Red Bull did not want him alongside Max Verstappen, citing the duo’s explosiveness as the reason.

Instead, they went and promoted Pierre Gasly… Go figure!

In other words, Sainz might not be as good as is made out, which means that the Spaniard will be in the spotlight with something to prove in leading his new team while setting the benchmark for the highly rated and hyped Norris in the sister car.

It will be a telling duel and Sainz’s future status in the top flight will depend on how he deals with what will be thrown at him this season.

2019BarcelonaTest2Tuesday_2ST2127-1.jpg

Lando Norris: Seldom has a driver been so hyped for his F1 debut as is 19-year-old Lando Norris, and ironically he has nothing to lose.

Father Adam Norris, said to be worth over $200-million made sure his son lacked for nothing in his meteoric climb to the top. The kid caught the eye of Zak Brown and now fate has it that the teenager has landed himself a seat in one of the most historied teams on the grid.

The kid is good, how good time will tell. For now, stats that he was well beaten by Williams rookie George Russell in the 2018 Formula 2 championship which the Norris was expected to win.

Now in the top flight, his minders will ensure that he has a fair crack at the top flight while having Brown in his management camp will give him wriggle-room should the life of a rookie prove to be too challenging at times.

Nevertheless, Norris has set the bar high, and provocatively so by declaring that beating his teammate in every qualy and race is his target. A tall order, but setting the stage for another intriguing subplot ahead of an F1 season sure to be packed with them.

If McLaren can turn the MCL32 into a decent piece of kit one can expect the young line-up to perform, or even impress, but a sub-standard car can destroy a ‘hot’ young driver’s career – remember Stoffel Vandoorne…

And, of course, then there is that Indy 500 project for Alonso’s Triple Crown venture in May at the Brickyard.

FERRARI: IT IS IMPORTANT TO START WELL

2019-F1-Test-Barcelona-Ferrari-20-Feb-19-3-10-46-PM.jpg

The 70th Formula 1 World Championship season is about to get underway at Australia’s Albert Park circuit, which has already hosted the first race of the year 21 times.

The race on Sunday 17 March will be the 35th Australian Grand Prix, the 24th held in Melbourne, which became the venue after Adelaide had been the host city from 1985 to 1995.

Scuderia Ferrari has nine Australian wins to its name, the first courtesy of Gerhard Berger in Adelaide, in 1987 and the most recent, last year with Sebastian Vettel. In addition, Ferrari drivers have stood on the podium a further 16 times, with eight-second places and the same number of thirds. Also on the results sheet, six pole positions and nine fastest race laps.

The track is 5.303 kilometres long with 16 corners and is tackled 58 times on Sunday. Because it is a street circuit, the track surface evolves considerably as the cars put down more rubber on the tarmac. There are three DRS zones.

Sebastian Vettel. “I feel Melbourne is the perfect place to start the championship. There’s an enjoyable atmosphere and the people are nice and welcoming. However, the circuit itself is very unusual and you have to get attuned to the track: you have to remember the lines precisely and it’s not always easy to spot the breaking point and, on top of that, the track surface is usually bumpy.”

“But we drivers like it and if we were asked if we wanted it resurfaced, we would probably say no, because that’s what makes it unique. I’ve got great memories of this track. Of course, the best are those from the past two seasons, as we won both times, but I also have fond memories of my first podium with Ferrari in 2015 here, on my debut with the Scuderia.”

Charles Leclerc: “Obviously this will be a very special race for me, being my debut with Ferrari and that will make this Australian GP unique. I’ve already got good memories of Melbourne because Albert Park was where I made my Formula 1 debut last year. I am pleased with the way testing went and I can’t wait to get out on track, as it’s on the race weekend that we have to reap the rewards for all the winter work, by getting a good result.”

“The track is unusual because it’s a street circuit, but with the characteristics of a permanent track, with wide run-off areas and reasonably high speeds. It’s nice coming to Melbourne, as the city and the people are special. You can feel Australia has a different culture and the atmosphere is very enjoyable.”

Mattia Binotto. “The race that marks the start of the season is always significant, and this year even more so because Scuderia Ferrari is celebrating its 90th birthday in 2019. We are very happy to have a couple of extraordinary drivers like Sebastian and Charles.”

“After the winter tests, the whole team wants to get out on track to compete with opponents who we know are very, very strong. We are heading into the first of a long series of stages, and our task is to try to cause problems to rivals who proved stronger last year.”

“It will be a demanding season. It is important to start well, aware that we have 21 rounds of equal importance ahead of us. The championship ends in December so every point can be valuable.”

WILLIAMS ANNOUNCE PARTNERSHIP WITH TATA

D1a2hFlU0AApSI_.jpg

Williams and Tata Communications have joined forces for 2019, announcing the deal ahead of the 2019 Formula 1 World Championship opening round, the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne this weekend.

Press Release:

ROKiT Williams Racing has chosen Tata Communications as the team’s Official Digital Transformation Partner.

The team will benefit from Tata Communications’ seven-season track record in the reliable delivery of network, hosting, broadcasting and security services to the Formula One ecosystem. The team will use Tata Communications’ digital infrastructure to enable real-time data transfer between the pitlane garage at all Grands Prix and the team’s factory in the UK.

This infrastructure includes a superfast subsea fibre network that carries around 30% of the world’s Internet routes. It powers Internet of Things applications across the globe, underpins Tata Communications’ cloud and cyber security services, and enables software defined networking for multinational businesses.

Harnessing Tata Communications’ digital capabilities means that even if ROKiT Williams Racing’s engineers are thousands of miles apart, they are able to share vital data and insights, and collaborate on race strategy as if they were in the same place.

“Tata Communications plays a central role in all areas of Formula One – arguably the most challenging technology environment there is,” said Claire Williams, Deputy Team Principal, ROKiT Williams Racing.

“We’ve chosen Tata Communications as our new partner because of its deep understanding of the Formula One ecosystem and its unique technology requirements, and the company’s ‘whatever it takes’ attitude to support our team. We know we can trust Tata Communications to deliver at every race weekend, anywhere in the world.”

“Since 2012, Tata Communications’ role in Formula One has continued to grow, and we’re incredibly proud to now work with one of the most iconic teams in the paddock,” said Mehul Kapadia, Managing Director of Tata Communications’ F1 Business and the company’s Global Head of Marketing.

“Our aim is to unleash the full potential of digital transformation in live sports by enabling organisations like ROKiT Williams Racing to harness the power of our technology capabilities.”

Tata Communications plays a central role in not only Formula One, but also MotoGP™ and the European Tour. The company also collaborates with other sports, such as football, sailing and cricket, using its networking, cloud, mobility and security expertise to pave the way for new, more efficient ways of working in sports, to enable fans to engage with their heroes in new ways, and to lower the barriers for sports to expand to new markets.

Tata Communications has tested in action technologies such as live 360°, Ultra-HD video, and explored how innovations such as the Internet of Things could offer unique data-driven insights for teams and individuals.

Tata Communications has been the Official Connectivity Provider of Formula One since 2012, enabling the sport to seamlessly reach its half a billion fans globally each season.

HAAS LOOKING FOR REDEMPTION

31I7359-944.jpg

In only their fourth season as a constructor, the American-based team has the potential to produce something special in 2019. Haas are just one of two teams to keep their driver line-up unchanged, heading into the Formula 1 Rolex Australian Grand Prix 2019 with Romain Grosjean and Kevin Magnussen.

The VF-19’s reliability remains questionable, enduring numerous breakdowns throughout the second week of pre-season testing earlier this month. But Haas will want to start their season off in the best possible fashion, seeking redemption from last year’s misfortunes when they recorded a double retirement last year in Melbourne after starting in the top 10.

Guenther Steiner: The team chief has worked in the industry since 2001, starting out alongside Niki Lauda who led Jaguar Racing at the time.

Steiner joined Red Bull between 2005 and 2008. He eventually moved to the United States, working on Red Bull’s NASCAR team from 2008 before the team folded three years later to concentrate on F1.

Since 2014, Steiner has worked exclusively with Haas, preparing for their debut at the 2016 Australian Grand Prix. The American team were able to score their first points in Melbourne, becoming the first F1 team to do so since 2002.

Steiner also worked closely with Mark Webber in 2003 when he joined Jaguar from Minardi in his debut year.

ONY1442-370.jpg

The Italian calls it like it is and some of his reactions to his drivers’ foibles in the ‘Drive to Survive’ Netflix series are priceless. Indeed his drivers have the ability to generate speedy grey hair growth, and their boss’ main task will be to keep the pair focused and literally on track..

Romain Grosjean: The Frenchman is now one of the elder statesmen in the top flight, but at times he is prone to red mist or brain fade, or a combo of both that have in the past led to some head-shaking moments.

The truth is that Romain is a blisteringly quick driver, but his consistency eludes him all too often and he probably bent more metal than any of his rivals did last year. If he keeps his head about him he has the ability and pace to deliver for the team who might have finished fourth in the constructors’ championship had their drivers maximised their opportunities when they arose.

That will be the goal: Keeping Romain on the black stuff and in the right frame of mind.

ONZ4853-519-1.jpg

Kevin Magnussen: The Dane is probably the coolest character on the grid, a gutsy racer who has no fear of employing ‘darker’ tactics in combat with his fellow drivers which hardly endears him to them.

But K-Mag is not one to care about what others think and must be credited for contributing massively to Haas’ impressive run to fifth place in the constructors’ standings last year. He has proven to be consistent while capable of bringing the car home which cannot always be said of his teammate.

Haas clearly have faith in both their drivers, and huge dollops of patience with Romain as the pair (along with the Mercedes duo of Valtteri Bottas and Lewis Hamilton) were the only unchanged driver line-ups from last year.

Everyone loves an underdog and Haas are exactly that, the American team – the youngest in the sport – has rewritten the way new teams can make it into the ‘second division’ of F1 without breaking the bank, becoming a relevant force on the grid.

The Australian Grand Prix on Sunday will mark the fourth year that the team has been in Formula 1, they have progressed steadily and fifth last year was a big boost for the team. If the stars align for them in 2019, Haas may even score a podium or two and fourth place in the championship not a pipe dream.

RENAULT NEED TO UP THEIR GAME TO BE RELEVANT

Renault-18-Feb-19-4-06-24-PM.jpg

While plenty of Australians will shift their eyes to their countryman Daniel Ricciardo’s new team when the season kicks off this Friday in Melbourne, Renault needs to up their game to live up to their works status.

Since their return in 2016, Renault have steadily climbed the championship standings each year, and look to start the 2019 Formula 1 season a clear favourite of the midfield. It’s all a part of their grand plan to become a world championship-winning team within the next two years.

The yellow and black team field one of the strongest driver line-ups with Ricciardo and Nico Hulkenberg at this year’s Formula 1 Rolex Australian Grand Prix 2019, and will undoubtedly come out in Melbourne to impress, as they chase down Red Bull for third place in the F1 constructors’ championship.

Cyril Abiteboul, Team Manager: The Frenchman started out in Formula 1 as a business executive with Renault in 2007, before a brief stint running former F1 team Caterham in 2013 and 2014. Abiteboul returned to Renault in his current role as managing director in 2014.

Abiteboul shares a bitter rivalry with Red Bull boss Christian Horner, sparked over Red Bull’s reliability issues with Renault power units over the past five years.

Big kudos to him for having the tenacity to scoop Ricciardo away from Red Bull, but now his team has to provide the big smiling Aussie a car to do the business… and that’s the hard part.

McLaren, powered by Renault, will be their only benchmark team, with the Woking going through the worst spell in their illustrious history it is unlikely they will test the works team or force them to raise the bar as they plot their recovery.

The departure of Red Bull will be a welcome relief to Renault, the constant warmongering and ill feelings got nasty and went public. This is now in the past, one less irritating distraction.

Renault-18-Feb-026.jpg

Daniel Ricciardo: Two into one does not go as Red Bull proved when they made their main man Max Verstappen, the trigger that set 29-year-old Dan to look around for alternatives.

Mercedes and Ferrari had no place for him although the prospect of the Aussie of Italian origin in a Red car is salivating, while Renault made him an offer he could not refuse to the shock of the entire paddock.

It’s exciting times for the Perth native, but at the same time he needs to get used to life in the heart of the midfield. One can cite his experience of rocketing through the pack thanks to starting so many races from the back or near the tail end of the grid.

But that was in a superior car, it will be a lot tougher down the order. Wins are likely to elude him for now and how he deals with the slip to the ‘F1 second division’ will be an interesting subplot to a mighty season ahead. His character will be put to test and how he overcomes the frustration will be telling.

Renault-18-Feb-19-1-47-17-PM.jpg

Nico Hulkenberg: Is the German F1’s best journeyman ever? No doubt he and his fans won’t like that title but that’s what he is. After all, in 156 Grand Prix starts he has never set foot on the podium and tends to have the reputation of upping his game when contract time comes around.

Maybe this is unfair and of course, he will deny it. This year, like many of his colleagues on the grid, there is nowhere to hide as he goes up against a formidable and respected opponent unlike any he has teamed up with before during his career.

If there is a time for Nico to up his game and sustain that upward momentum it is now, anything less than matching his new teammate will be a disappointment.

While Abiteboul may claim to have the best driver line-up on the grid, the truth is they are potentially that, but will Renault provide them with the tools to showcase their abilities or will the midpack be their plight yet again?

Anything short of several podiums and fourth place again in the F1 constructors’ championship will be a failure for the French outfit, anything better will progress as mapped by their management who are targeting next year as the time to start winning again.

Although Renault have powered drivers and teams to 23 F1 world titles, as a works F1 team they have only triumphed on four occasions, in 2005 and 2006 with Fernando Alonso winning the drivers’ title while the team claimed the constructors’ championship in both those years.

MORE OF THE SAME FOR MERCEDES

D0fakDaXcAA8dz7.jpg

The reigning Formula 1 World Champions arrive in Melbourne preparing for yet another title defence. With an unchanged line-up in 2019, featuring five-time world champion Lewis Hamilton and Finnish ace Valtteri Bottas.

The Silver Arrows will be looking to start their new season off on the right foot, as they chase down their first Australian Grand Prix win since 2016.

The Champs tried two different concepts on the W10, arriving for the second test with a heavily revised car, immediately dubbed the W10-B as they contemplated the best solution for their package which by all accounts was niggly out-of-the-box.

However one can imagine little will hold back the team from clawing back what they need for the title defence, anytime it is required.

They start the season as my favorites by virtue of what we know what they are capable of, especially in the latter half of the season, a sustained campaign that tends to grow in strength while those around them wane. Much of the same expected this season.

Team Principal, Toto Wolff: He started his racing career as a driver, competing in Austria’s Formula Ford Championship before eventually making his way up to the FIA GT Championship – GT Racing’s former premier class.

Wolff joined the Formula 1 paddock initially with Williams as a shareholder and executive director in 2009. He joined Mercedes from 2013, helping them win five successive world titles both as a constructor and with their drivers Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg between 2014 and 2018.

bottas2.jpg

The Austrian has been an astute boss, he wears his heart on his sleeve and runs a very open team, who provide their fans with archives of information after each outing. Managing Lewis is not a walk in the park, but at least he does not have to manage a feud as he did with Lewis and Nico. He might miss Niki at his side, but not enough to destabilise the team he has built.

The silver pit garage is a far less fractious place because the driver hierarchy is established with Valtteri the ordained wingman to Hamilton, very much as Rubens Barrichello was for Michael Schumacher.

Harmony prevails for now and should do so until Bottas finds a half second or so and start troubling his teammate. The dynamics will change fast after that. For now, Wolff has no worries on the driver front, each knows their place.

Occasionally, during his early days as team chief, Wolff shot himself in the foot but he has evolved into one of the best bosses on the pit wall with a true passion for racing and frankness that is endearing – who would not appreciate working for a boss like him?

However, it will be interesting to see how he handles a true challenge to Mercedes dominance and how he takes losing on a regular basis. For now, it is hard to see his team wilting, but if you believe the hype they are in for their toughest challenge this season.

Ferrari tend to ”win’ the preseason, while Mercedes keep their powder dry for when it matters and that ‘powder’ is controlled by Wolff. I am of the school of belief that the Silver Arrows has more in reserve, and on tap, for when the team boss decides to press the ‘MORE HP’ button.

M185455-1.jpg

Lewis Hamilton: Who can beat the five-time F1 World Champion? A sixth world title beckons and it is hard to see anyone capable of stopping him at the nadir of his career. Typically Lewis can dig deeper than most and raise the benchmark each time he has to as he did in Singapore qualifying next year.

He will be hard to beat and if keeps up the momentum, doing what he does best out on track a sixth title will surely be his and as well as a bag full of victories as he edges towards becoming the most successful F1 driver of all time.

Valtteri Bottas: The Finn has to step up or find work elsewhere next season. He has to beat his teammate on a regular basis or at least run him close. Another season such as last year and that’s it for the likeable guy, with eager Esteban Ocon bouncing about in the background which in other words means he has to deliver for the Champs.

Delivering means winning races when Hamilton does not, and on occasions beating the #44 car. AKA shape up or you will be shipped out.

It is not hard to imagine that if Bottas does not get his act together and fumbles once too often in the early races (as Max Verstappen was last year) Merc will replace him with Ocon for the second half of the season.

Formula 1 arrives in Melbourne for season-opener

jm1913ma236.jpg

The 2019 Formula 1 season has well and truly kicked off in Melbourne, Australia, which plays host to the season opening grand prix.

Although there's been no track action yet and won't be until Friday morning's first practice session, all 20 drivers along with their team bosses attended a launch event in Federation Square on Wednedsay.

It's the first time F1 has hosted a launch event and it seems to have done the trick, attracting a huge crowd as host Mark Webber – a local hero – interviewed each driver to get their view on the season ahead.

jm1913ma223.jpg

Local driver Daniel Ricciardo was the centre of attention ahead of his official Renault debut this weekend, having swapped from Red Bull.

jm1913ma21.jpg

He arrived in style for the media event!

jm1913ma32.jpg

Wednesday saw the finishing touches in the paddock as the team's complete their garage builds...

jm1913ma160.jpg

...and the drivers get familiar with the circuit with an old fashioned track walk. 

jm1913ma151.jpg

Honda's ambition helped fast-track F1 fuel upgrades

Honda's ambition helped fast-track F1 fuel upgrades

Honda's ambitious power targets for 2019 helped fuel supplier ExxonMobil to fast-track through a series of upgrades this winter that normally would have only happened during the season.

With Honda's sights set on delivering race victories this year as the result of its tie-up with Red Bull, ExxonMobil has revealed the scale of the push that the Japanese manufacturer is making.

With ExxonMobil having developed and tested more than 36 engine oils and 40 fuel variations ahead of the start of the campaign, its global motorsports technology manager David Tsurusaki says his company has been pushed to the limit to come up with the best products it can.

"We have gone through upgrades during the winter, even though we never got to race them, because we got so much data back and so much information back," Tsurusaki told Motorsport.com.

"We had enough time to make these changes, so we said: 'let's keep going'. We were in Japan in early December and we discussed what was the very last deadline to make a final change – as they were asking us.

"We said we had begun shipping for Barcelona testing, but we agreed that we could airfreight something new if we made another change. So we did that.

"We are now already working on when can we get the next upgrades planned, when can we have [dyno] testing time availability and all of that."

ExxonMobil's progress with previous partner Renault was hampered by Red Bull having a customer relationship with the French car manufacturer, so dyno testing availability was limited.

That is not the case with Honda, with Tsurusaki saying that the pressure has shifted on to his company's shoulders to try to keep up with what the Japanese manufacturer wants.

"It is sometimes difficult when they say: 'we are ready to test, can you have something ready in three weeks?'" he said.

"But most of the time we can do it we can get it done. I think our guys thrive on that.

"I think it is nice to be in a situation where you are jointly working to progress forward, and we are okay with them giving us a timeline and we can meet it or not meet it. It is still a big jump from where we were, before so it is good."

No point being fake for Netflix - Steiner

No point being fake for Netflix - Steiner

Haas team boss Gunther Steiner says it was essential he showed his real side in Formula 1's new Netflix series, with his sweary rants having become a major talking point for fans.

Steiner's frequent outbursts on the pit wall, team radio and in phone calls to team owner Gene Haas have proved to be a highlight for many from the new Netflix series F1: Drive to Survive.

And while Steiner has joked that he has advised his daughter not to watch it because of his bad language, he says it would have been wrong for him to water things down on film.

"I was OK with it," said Steiner about how he has been portrayed. "If they want to make something you have to be real, otherwise what are we making?

"I think the people who did it, they were very good. I mean you could immediately see they knew what they were doing, what they wanted.

"They wanted the real thing, and they were very clever about it, how to get a real thing.

"And that is what they should be, because in the end to make a bad movie there is no point, because then we lose fans.

"For me it's like helping it along. If people see it and we get more fans and people watching it, it's what we all want. So again, I was just myself."

Daniel Ricciardo, who let the Netflix film crew get behind-the-scenes access at his Perth house and apartment in Monaco, said the producers had done a good job in getting across what F1 people were really like.

"Whenever people are getting more personal information about you or being a fly on the wall and coming out to Perth or your apartment in Monaco and actually seeing your surroundings, you want to be comfortable with the people behind the camera running the project," the Renault driver explained.

"They were always respectful, and it was always on our terms which was good. So that was just important, that you get on with the people behind it.

"I would definitely encourage people not to watch it on their iPhone but on a proper screen. I am curious to know how it is going to turn out.

"It is weird seeing yourself on camera. I see myself behind the wheel of a car but you sound different when you hear yourself talk.

"I think it is going to be cool, just generally, not just for me but also F1, to have more of a presence like that.

"So someone in a small town in the States or wherever they are in the world, they can watch it and get an actual understanding of a bit more about the sport. So that is really good for F1 globally."

The only question mark Ricciardo had was on the title itself – which has been criticised for playing up the danger aspect of the sport.

"They love the drama though. They do like a drama," said the Australian. "The title is a bit … Drive to Survive. It's a bit 'intense' But it's TV isn't it?"

MIKA: I've seen the whole 10 episodes and everything about the show is absolutely brilliant. Filmed in 4K, editing, direction, simply amazing.

Only let down was that there was no shoing by Ferrari and Mercedes which would have been nice.

Ricciardo to be represented by Ronaldo’s agency

Ricciardo to be represented by Ronaldoâs agency

Renault Formula 1 driver Daniel Ricciardo has signed a deal with the agency that represents 2016 world champion Nico Rosberg, football star Cristiano Ronaldo and basketball ace Dwyane Wade.

Ricciardo has joined the Renault team from Red Bull after a lengthy decision-making process last year.

The seven-time grand prix winner has not had formal representation before, but did have an advisor during his contract negotiations last season and a prior connection with Australian company The Sports Group regarding commercial activities.

Ahead of the opening race of 2019 season this weekend, his home grand prix in Melbourne, Ricciardo has revealed he has appointed Creative Arts Agency subsidiary CAA Sports to "represent him across all areas of his professional career both on and off the track".

The same company represents ex-Mercedes F1 driver Rosberg, Juventus footballer Ronaldo, England and Tottenham Hotspur aces Harry Kane and Dele Alli, and Miami Heat triple NBA champion Wade.

A release from CAA Sports says it will use its contacts across "sports, entertainment and pop culture to create new business opportunities for Daniel in the global sports marketplace".

Ricciardo's racing career was steered by long-time backer Red Bull from his early years in car racing through to the end of 2018.

Splitting from Red Bull means Ricciardo has been left completely independent to strike his own deals.

Red Bull gave Ricciardo his F1 shot, first loaning him to HRT and then placing him at Toro Rosso before promoting him to the senior team.

Ricciardo entered discussions with other teams last year as he pursued alternatives to Red Bull for the first time.

Question marks over Red Bull's switch to Honda, unhappiness at how the team was handling his contract renewal and the dynamic with teammate Max Verstappen all cited as part of the reason he ultimately left for Renault.