FORMULA 1

Live broadcast F1 races named for Channel 4's final season

Live broadcast F1 races named for Channel 4's final season

The Monaco and British Grands Prix will be among 10 races broadcast live on terrestrial television in the UK in 2018.
Channel 4 and Sky Sports announced on Monday how their live races will be divided in 2018, with the season opening round in Australia exclusively live on Sky.

Races in Bahrain, Azerbaijan, Monaco, Austria, Britain, Belgium, Singapore, Japan, USA and Abu Dhabi will be live on Channel 4.

It means the returning French and German Grands Prix will be exclusive live events for Sky.

Channel 4 will show delayed highlights of the 11 races it is not broadcasting live.

This is the final year of Channel 4’s three-year F1 broadcast deal, with the championship to be shown exclusively on Sky from next season.

2018 UK F1 TV schedule

Australian Grand Prix, 23-25 March Sky only
Bahrain Grand Prix, 6-8 April Sky and Channel 4
Chinese Grand Prix, 13-15 April Sky
Azerbaijan Grand Prix, 27-29 April Sky and Channel 4
Spanish Grand Prix, 11-13 May Sky
Monaco Grand Prix, 25-27 May Sky and Channel 4
Canadian Grand Prix, 8-10 June Sky
French Grand Prix, 22-24 June Sky
Austrian Grand Prix, 29 June – 1 July Sky and Channel 4
British Grand Prix, 6-8 July Sky and Channel 4
German Grand Prix, 20-22 July Sky
Hungarian Grand Prix, 27-29 July Sky
Belgian Grand Prix, 24-26 August Sky and Channel 4
Italian Grand Prix, 31 August – 2 September Sky
Singapore Grand Prix, 14-16 September Sky and Channel 4
Russian Grand Prix, 28-30 September Sky
Japanese Grand Prix, 5-7 October Sky and Channel 4
United States Grand Prix, 19-21 October Sky and Channel 4
Mexican Grand Prix, 26-28 October Sky
Brazilian Grand Prix, 9-11 November Sky
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, 23-25 November Sky and Channel 4

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have said it many times over the years, the FIA need to appoint stewards that are the same people for EVERY race. I have always felt that some stewards are biased toward "some" drivers (Of cour

F1 needs a Friday program including testing or the race tracks are going to lose a lot of ticket sales.  As a TV viewer, I find the Friday practice sessions quite enjoyable.   On par with the rest of

WILLIAMS CONFIRM SIROTKIN TO RACE AND KUBICA RESERVE Russian rookie Sergey Sirotkin will race for Williams this season after being chosen ahead of Polish rival Robert Kubica on Tuesday in wh

Force India: Incorporating Halo a big challenge

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Sergio_Perez_Halo-700x367.jpg

Force India admit getting Halo onto their 2018 car proved to be a “big challenge”, especially in keeping the weight down.

This season all the teams have to include Halo in the design of their cars after the FIA made the cockpit protection device mandatory.

It, however, redesiging the chassis for Halo hasn’t been as easy as some had hoped.

“The biggest thing over the winter for us was trying to incorporate the Halo into the car design because it was introduced so late,” chief operating officer Otmar Szafnauer told RACER.

“Which for a team of our size makes it even more difficult to redesign and not start afresh but make massive changes to the design that we’d gotten on with already to incorporate the Halo.

“We did [find it a big challenge]. It weighs quite a bit so we had a big challenge in keeping the weight down but also making the Halo robust enough to take all the prescribed loads, which are not insignificant.

“We’ve completed them all [the crash tests]. We’re right on schedule actually and the nice thing is we passed the first time. So had we not then that could have been troublesome.”

FORMER GRAND PRIX CHIEF RON WALKER DIES

ron-walker.jpg

Prominent businessman and former Australian Grand Prix supremo Ron Walker has died, according to a statement released by his family which reported that he died peacefully at home on Tuesday afternoon, surrounded by loved ones.

The influential Melburnian and developer, who played a key role in the city’s successful bid to host the 2006 Commonwealth Games, was 78.

Friends and family paid tribute to the towering figure, saying the state would not be what it is today without his work. He had been battling cancer and its side-effects for several years.

The multi-millionaire Melbourne identity was diagnosed with melanoma in 2012, and attributed a lifesaving drug, Keytruda, for keeping him alive despite a dire prognosis.

According to his family’s statement, six years ago he was diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic melanoma and given only months to live but he “wasn’t having any of that”, travelling to LA to embark on a clinical trial for Keytruda.

“Little did he know that it would not only save his life and give him six more years with us, but it would give him the opportunity to campaign for Keytruda to be fast-tracked for approval in Australia, and then made available on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme,” the statement said.

“He will be greatly missed by his wife of 51 years Barbara, his children Jo, Campbell and Candice and grandchildren Harry, Stella and Audrey.”

Australian Grand Prix chief executive Andrew Westacott said Mr Walker was a “monumental man who made a huge impression’’.

“He gave us multiple events through Formula One, the Commonwealth Games, through all those pioneering things in the Melbourne Major Events company.’’

“He helped put Melbourne on the map and shape major events that allowed us tom be very proud of the city we have. He did that with vision, a real attention to detail and a special flair that was unique to Ron.’’

Toyota expects Fernando Alonso's presence to boost team

jm1719no34.jpg

Toyota President Akio Toyoda has lauded Fernando Alonso’s decision to compete for the team in the 2018/19 World Endurance Championship, and believes his presence will boost the squad.

It was confirmed on Tuesday that Alonso will link up with Toyota and pilot the No 8 car, along with Sebastien Buemi and Kazuki Nakajima, in this season’s championship.

Alonso will miss Toyota’s home round at Fuji, due to his required participation at Formula 1’s United States Grand Prix, but will compete in each other event.

Toyoda welcomed Alonso to the operation, as both the Spaniard and team eye success at Le Mans.

“To Fernando Alonso, I say thank you so much for choosing Toyota as a partner for making your Le Mans dream come true,” said Toyoda.

“I am extremely thrilled that Fernando, who has battled it out in numerous races and seen things that nobody on our team has ever experienced, will be driving for Toyota.

“I believe that having Fernando get behind the wheel for our team will only make our cars better.

“I am looking forward to seeing how much Toyota will grow when our drivers and all team members take what they have learned thus far in endurance racing and add to it what they will gain from Fernando's experience.

“The entire team is excited about this opportunity for growth.

“Through the challenge of WEC endurance races and, among those, on the gruelling roads of the Le Mans 24 Hours, Toyota will do its best, together with Fernando, to outdrive the competition.

“And, toward our ultimate aim of providing our customers with ever-better cars, I hope we will be able to race with shared aspirations at heart.”

Zak Brown: Fernando Alonso's WEC deal won't hurt McLaren's F1 prospects

28186771129_7ec936bc1c_k.jpg

McLaren chief Zak Brown has emphasised that Fernando Alonso’s World Endurance Championship programme with Toyota will not impact on its Formula 1 prospects.

Alonso has repeatedly outlined his desire to compete for motorsport’s Triple Crown, and made his debut at the Indianapolis 500 in 2017, missing the Monaco Grand Prix in the process.

It was confirmed on Tuesday that Alonso will link up with Toyota for this season's WEC championship, including Le Mans, though will skip Fuji, due to its clash with the United States Grand Prix.

Brown hinted that Alonso’s WEC deal has been completed to keep him “motivated and happy”, and has insisted that McLaren and Formula 1 will not be negatively impacted by the Spaniard’s sportscar exploits.

“It’s no secret that Fernando has wanted to contest the Le Mans 24 Hours,” said Brown.

“And I think everybody within our organisation appreciates that a motivated, hungry and happy world-class driver such as Fernando is a formidable asset for any team in F1.

“Last year, we came to the joint decision to go racing with Fernando at the Indy 500 rather than at the Monaco Grand Prix.

“But we’ve always said that we would consider each opportunity on a case-by-case basis, and we both know that, in 2018, our core priority is success in Formula 1.

“Like Fernando, at McLaren we’re racers at heart, and our team is built on a brave heritage of competing and succeeding in different forms of the sport.

“Equally important is the confidence that nothing detracts from our number one goal of Formula 1.

“After proper evaluation, we are satisfied that this campaign does not do that, and that McLaren’s best interests prevail.”

Alonso’s WEC debut will come at May’s 6 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps, the week before the Spanish Grand Prix.

MIKA: I like Alonso, but... is he in a mid-life crisis doing all these different categories? Zak Brown allowing it is like watching a spoiled kids dad saying yes to everything. Oops, sorry, that kids at Williams, but this is very similar. ;) 

Lauda: New airline role won't affect F1 job

Lauda: New airline role won't affect F1 job

Niki Lauda has insisted that his role as non-executive chairman of the Mercedes Formula 1 team will not be diluted by the recent purchase of his eponymous airline.
The three-time world champion last week beat off British Airways owner IAG to successfully retake control of the Niki airline, which he founded in 2003 and had sold to the now defunct Air Berlin in 2011.

While Lauda's buyout suggests fresh plans to make a success of his airline, he is adamant that his focus will not be diverted away from what he has done in assisting Mercedes win four consecutive F1 championship doubles.

"Why should anything change?" said Lauda. "I will fulfil my role within Mercedes AMG as before. I will attend every GP and will be in Brackley as often as it is required."

Lauda has clarified that he will not be the operational CEO of the new airline, which is to be called LaudaMotion and plans to go into business by March with 15 A320 Airbus planes.

Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff said he was also not concerned that any supervisory role Lauda has with his airline will not hurt the F1 team's progress.

"It was always clear that Niki will stay fully committed to his role in our team. He is already eager for the new season to start," said Wolff.

Sirotkin was the "best driver available" for Williams

Sirotkin was the "best driver available" for Williams

Williams Formula 1 team's chief technical officer Paddy Lowe says Sergey Sirotkin was "the best driver available" for the seat alongside Lance Stroll in the outfit's 2018 line-up.
Former Renault reserve Sirotkin, who is backed by Russian programme and reportedly brings a financial package worth around £15million, emerged as favourite to replace Felipe Massa in the Grove-based team following a strong showing in the Abu Dhabi test.

Robert Kubica, Paul di Resta, Daniil Kvyat and Pascal Wehrlein were among the other contenders for the drive.

"We selected him as the best driver available to us, bar none," Lowe told Motorsport.com.

"We're confident that he will be very quick, very consistent, very calm in his working - and I think these qualities will take him a long way, to do really well in this championship."

Sirotkin and teammate Stroll will make up one of the least experienced pairings on the 2018 grid, with only the Toro Rosso pair having fewer combined grand prix starts.

Lowe, however, rejected the suggestion that Williams' choice of line-up was a gamble.

"I wouldn't describe it as a gamble. We understand that there are some disadvantages. I guess, for Sergey, there is a learning curve around that first year, particularly with some of the circuits he hasn't been to before.

"But, you know, his performance stands in its own right."

He added: "At the same time, we're investing - one of the advantages of a younger driver is, if it's a great driver, you're investing in a long-term future and a long-term success that that can bring to him and to the team.

"So I think we prefer to see that in Sergey we found a rising star, and we hope to work with him in the long-term and enjoy a lot of success together."

Stroll and fellow 2017 rookie Stoffel Vandoorne both struggled against their vastly more experienced teammates during the early races of the campaign – but Lowe believes there is no reason why Sirotkin should endure a difficult start this year.

Lance Stroll and Sergey Sirotkin, Williams Sergey Sirotkin, Williams FW40 Sergey Sirotkin, Williams FW40

"We don't want to drive too much expectation, but we're confident that Sergey will drive well, he's shown himself able to do that, in our car and also in series in the past.

"I mean, he was the best rookie in his first season in F2 [GP2], he came third, that was the best rookie result of that year. I think that stands as a good example of what he can do."

Lowe admitted that being an F1 rookie was "certainly not easier" now than it had been in the past, but backed Sirotkin to adapt quickly.

"The tyres are more difficult, and these cars are performing at the peak levels ever seen in the sport, so that must add its challenges.

"But at the same time, we saw what Sergey can do in the car when we put him in there in Abu Dhabi, and those features didn't seem to let him down at all, didn't seem to hold him back, so we're confident he'll do a great job."

FORMULA E REVEAL SEXY GENERATION 2 CAR

7334d547adb9436b986086e6b22fdc43

The FIA and Formula E have released the first digital images of the next generation car for season five, showcasing the futuristic new-look of the electric street racing series – with the covers coming off the physical model at the Geneva Motor Show on March 6.

This is the first car ever to be created by the governing body for motor sport, with the FIA bringing together the world’s leading designers and engineers to work on the concept. The common package of specification parts will be homologated and built by the competing manufacturers to house their own bespoke powertrains.

The new car demonstrates a step-up in performance from the current iteration with almost double the energy storage capacity and double the range, meaning the teams and drivers will complete a full race distance at higher speeds without making a mid-race car swap. The Gen2 car is clear proof of the advancements in battery and electric motor technology achieved in the space of only four years.

fd20ace79c914cb2bbaa2f79b6224fb7

The physical model of the Gen2 car together with full technical specifications will be revealed on the FIA stand at the Geneva Motor Show on March 6.

FIA President Jean Todt said: “Today we show for the first time the design of the next FIA Formula E Championship’s generation car, and I’m sure that everyone will be very excited by how futuristic and advanced it is. I’m very proud that the FIA has been at the forefront of this car’s development. I can’t wait to take the covers off the real car when it will be seen for the first time in Geneva on March 6.”

67c6759f623844abae3270f821a0dde2

Alejandro Agag, Founder & CEO of Formula E, said: “This car represents the future of racing. When we started Formula E, our goal was to break the mould and challenge the status quo – bringing a revolution to motorsport. This next generation car represents that revolution. The cars will be faster and will have almost double the amount of energy storage capacity and double the range, demonstrating the continuous evolution of battery technology. Together with the FIA, we’ve achieved a great milestone with the introduction of this car and I can’t wait to see it on track.”

Note: Formula 1 news is what this site is about but it does not stop me from posting when anything interesting does pop up. This is pretty cool and I'm certain entire closed canopies are not far away.

Formula 1 to drop grid girls for 2018

Formula 1 to drop grid girls for 2018

Formula 1 chiefs have announced that the sport will end the tradition of using grid girls from this season.
The move, which will be both for motor racing's top category as well as all support events at each grand prix - including Formula 2 and GP3 - comes as part of Liberty Media's revamp.

F1 commercial chief Sean Bratches said that it was felt using grid girls no longer fitted in with the new brand image that Liberty wants for grand prix racing.

In a statement issued on Wednesday, he said: "Over the last year we have looked at a number of areas which we felt needed updating so as to be more in tune with our vision for this great sport.

"While the practice of employing grid girls has been a staple of Formula 1 grands prix for decades, we feel this custom does not resonate with our brand values and clearly is at odds with modern day societal norms.

"We don't believe the practice is appropriate or relevant to Formula 1 and its fans, old and new, across the world."

F1 is not the only sport that has been revamping its approach to using women in such a manner, with the UK's Professional Darts Corporation (PDC) causing controversy last week when it scrapped the use of walk-on girls.

Several players criticised the move and a petition from fans for the PDC to change its mind was signed by more than 30,000 people.

The darts authorities of other European nations said they would keep the long-standing tradition of using walk-on girls.

MIKA: Political correctness strikes again! So there won't be women on some of the podiums either?

They could have kept grid girls and also incorporated them into the weekend, perhaps by way of being assigned each to a driver and in turn, interview them instead of some of the reporters who half of which don't have a clue. There are alot of switched on women in Formula 1.

What next? Robots presenting trophies! Hang on... that already happens sometimes ;) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No reason we can't match Force India in 2018 - Toro Rosso

jm1701oc371.jpg

Toro Rosso team boss Franz Tost says there is no reason why his outfit should not be fighting for fourth position alongside Force India and Williams in 2018.

The Faenza-based team has finished seventh in the Constructors' standings for the past four seasons, despite repeatedly promising to step up its performance.

This year it will become Honda's sole engine customer and the Japanese manufacturer is promising to make gains of its own, giving STR no excuses if it underperforms again, according to Tost.

"We must be within the top five," he told Racer. "Look, the first three positions are gone, forget it, this is another league and another world because they have much bigger financial resources and are much bigger teams.

"But then from position four onwards, everything is possible because Force India is running with a similar budget to us, Williams as well.

"We are working at a similar level and there shouldn't be any excuses from our side not to be close to them. To beat them is another question, but to be up there."

Tost is however wary of the threat McLaren and Renault could pose this year, with both teams expected to take big steps forward.

"I expect that McLaren will become quite competitive as well and Renault will make a step forwards, but it means from fourth position onwards everything is possible."

Mercedes call for active suspensions

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_GettyImages-867478306%281%29-700x367.jpg

Mercedes are reportedly pushing for the FIA to bring back active suspensions to Formula 1, believing it could help to cut costs.

While Mercedes are believed to be advocates of the system, it has been Red Bull who have benefitted most from a 'trick suspension' system which is now outlawed.

It allowed them to optimise their aerodynamic and tyre performance by adjusting the ride height of the car through the corners, attacking with a low front end and keeping the rear of the car high.

But, with the FIA clamping down on the intricate system, there are two potential proposals on the table to replace it. The first is to introduce a simpler system with springs and dampers; the other is to bring back 'active suspensions' which have not been used since 1993.

An unnamed Mercedes engineer told Auto Bild: "It's cheaper because you can develop the system once and then freeze it. It will save a million euros a year and there would be no more grey areas.

"It would be much easier for the FIA to control, and it would help overtaking because you can programme the system to minimise the impact of the turbulence behind the car."

• Like 1

Hulkenberg/Sainz make "massive difference" for Renault

Hulkenberg/Sainz make "massive difference" for Renault

Recruiting Nico Hulkenberg and Carlos Sainz has made a "massive difference" to the Renault Formula 1 team, says its chassis technical director Nick Chester.
Hulkenberg left Force India at the end of 2016 to replace Kevin Magnussen at Renault, and outscored initial teammate Jolyon Palmer 34 points to eight before Palmer was dropped in favour of Carlos Sainz.

Chester said Hulkenberg's main contribution had been to give Renault a dependable reference, and that Sainz had multiplied that effect.

"It is massively important. The really great thing about Nico is that he is really consistent, he is really quick, and he tells you exactly where the problems are that are slowing him down," Chester told Motorsport.com.

"He says, 'this is the most important thing for me, if you work on this I will go quicker' and then you don't need to worry about a whole load of other stuff.

"So in terms of prioritising what you do, it is super important.

"And then Carlos is pretty much the same. He has got really good feedback and is quick, so with the two of them we have got some really good information to work with.

"It makes a massive difference."

Hulkenberg has now started 135 grands prix, but is yet to finish on the podium and had not driven for a works team before joining Renault.

Sainz was allowed to leave Toro Rosso early to replace Palmer before the end of the season, and qualified and finished seventh on his Renault debut at Austin.

"He liked the car straight away," said Chester of Sainz.

"He could feel it had more grip and downforce, a slightly different balance to what he is used to, but he is obviously very good and he adapted to it pretty quickly.

"Now he is thinking hard and working with us really well on how we adapt the balance more to his liking and that will help both cars."

Ricciardo facing "make or break" decision on F1 future

Ricciardo facing "make or break" decision on F1 future

Daniel Ricciardo believes his next Formula 1 contract could be "make or break" for his chances of winning a world championship in his career.
While Red Bull extended Max Verstappen's deal in late 2017, it has agreed to give Ricciardo time to assess his options ahead of a season in which most top drivers' contracts expire and there could be substantial movement in the driver market.

Now 28 and about to begin his seventh full season in F1, five-time grand prix winner Ricciardo believes he is facing the most important decision of his career.

"I've still got years in this sport, but I'm not 23/24 anymore," he told Motorsport.com. "I'm still learning. I don't feel I'm past my peak.

"The next contract I sign or next extension I do, they are potentially the peak years of my career.

"That next bit of paper I sign could make or break my desire in terms of whether I can fight for a title or not.

"That's why I'm taking my time, I want to see where everyone is at. Maybe I'll have more options, maybe I won't."

He emphasised that he wanted his next contract - whether with Red Bull or elsewhere - to be long term.

"I doubt I'll sign a one-year deal somewhere," said Ricciardo. "It's probably going to be a multiple year deal, two or more, so I need to make sure it's the right place, competitively."

Ricciardo has spent his entire F1 career so far under Red Bull's wing, and it also supported his junior career.

Red Bull chose to place him at tail-ender HRT for his F1 debut in mid-2011, before he was moved across to Toro Rosso - where he spent two seasons prior to his transfer to the senior Red Bull team for '14.

"I've been dealing with [Red Bull motorsport advisor] Helmut Marko for 10 years now. Certainly I feel like part of the family," Ricciardo added.

"Even in Austria, Tom Uberoll [Red Bull motorsports manager], him as well, since 2008. I've still got relationships outside of the Red Bull Racing team, and that's cool.

"Whether I was to stay at Red Bull the rest of my career, or eventually move on, I would still keep close to a lot of the people within the family.

"It's been a big part of my life, I'd never walk away from it and think 'OK, that's the past', and completely forget about it."

ECCLESTONE: I CAN’T SEE HOW A GOOD-LOOKING GRID GIRL CAN BE OFFENSIVE

Bernie Ecclestone, grid girls

In the wake of Formula 1 announcing an end to the era of grid girls opinions have been divided with surprisingly more vocal fans coming out in support of the tradition that has been part and parcel of Formula 1 since it began in the fifties.

One who questions the reasoning behind the decision, by the sport’s new American owners, is former F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone who told The Sun, “The country at the moment is getting a bit prudish.”

“You should be allowed to have grid girls because the drivers like them, the audience like them and no one cares. These girls were part of the show, part of the spectacle.”

“I can’t see how a good-looking girl standing with a driver and a number in front of a Formula One car can be offensive to anybody. They are all nicely dressed I would think people like Rolex and Heineken wouldn’t have girls there who weren’t presentable.”

“I thought we had forgotten about girls not being able to do guys jobs and girls being able to guys jobs. I thought we were all the same. It was all part of the show the girls with the drivers was all part of the pre-show part of the tension,” added Ecclestone.

But the plug has been pulled on the tradition as F1 commercial chief Sean Bratches confirmed earlier in the week, “We feel this custom does not resonate with our brand values and clearly is at odds with modern-day societal norms.”

“We don’t believe the practice is appropriate or relevant to Formula One and its fans, old and new, across the world.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GRID GIRLS UNHAPPY WITH FORMULA 1 DECISION TO SCRAP TRADITION

Girls-beim-Mexiko-GP-1200x800-0c08bdd141fadbf4.jpg

Several grid girls have criticised and even ridiculed Formula 1’s decision to abolish what has until now been a traditional role in the sport.

F1’s American owners Liberty Media declared that the practice of employing grid girls was “at odds with modern-day societal norms” on Wednesday and have scrapped it with immediate effect.

The move follows a similar decision made by the Professional Darts Corporation last month and has put other sports in the spotlight, with boxing, UFC and cycling all still hiring glamorous women to entertain crowds at events.

But some grid girls have been hitting back at what they perceive to be an invasion of their right to make their own decisions.

Rebecca Cooper, who describes herself as a “five-time F1 grid girl”, wrote on Twitter: “So the inevitable has happened, F1 grid girls have been banned.”

“Ridiculous that women who say they are ‘fighting for women’s rights’ are saying what others should and shouldn’t do, stopping us from doing a job we love and are proud to do. PC gone mad.”

Cooper added: “If we don’t do something to stop this where will it end? No grid girls, no cheerleaders, female singers being told what to wear on stage, no models in magazines?! I’ll fight for my right to choose what I wear, where I work and to keep a job I love. I’ll #fightformyrighttochoose”

Another grid girl, Lauren-Jade Pope, wrote: “Because of these feminists, they’ve have cost us our jobs! I have been a grid girl for eight years and I have never felt uncomfortable! I love my job, if I didn’t I wouldn’t do it! No one forces us to do this! This is our choice!”

Hannah Louise, also a grid girl, said she would be “devastated” if other sports like superbikes now opted to follow suit.

She wrote: “I am a grid girl, I LOVE my job and I CHOOSE to do it! The issue at the moment is there are too many people being offended on behalf of people who are not offended at all! I will be devastated if @OfficialBSB and @iom_tt follow suit.”

• Like 1

Haas signs new sponsor Jack & Jones

jack-jones-haas.png

The Haas F1 Team has signed a new sponsor in clothing company Jack & Jones, which was previously a personal sponsor to Haas driver Kevin Magnussen.

The menswear company, which is based in Magnussen's home country of Denmark, will have its logos on the rear-wing of the Haas VF-18 as well as both driver overalls and teamwear.

"The dedication and professionalism it takes to be in Formula 1 aligns with the values we apply in our everyday approach to denim and menswear," commented Henning Nielsen, head of e-commerce and marketing at Jack & Jones.

"We strive to be the best, just like Haas F1 Team. That’s why we have supported Kevin Magnussen throughout his career and why we have decided to join Haas F1 Team this season."

Team principak Guenther Steiner added: "We’re very proud to announce our new partnership with Jack & Jones. It’s a brand built on hard work and attention to detail that has grown very quickly and delivers a quality product.

"While we are still relatively new in Formula 1, our objectives and work ethic are very similar to Jack & Jones. The recognition Jack & Jones has in its marketplace is what we strive for in Formula 1."

FIA, FIM approve Barcelona-Catalunya upgrades

jm1714my761.jpg

FIA Formula 1 safety delegate Charlie Whiting and FIM safety officer Franco Uncini have approved of the recent changes at the Barcelona-Catalunya circuit.

Changes were made to the circuit to in order to improve safety with FIM requirements and the alterations were also agreed upon by the FIA.

The main changes consisted of moving the grandstands further back to create a bigger run-off area in Turn 13 of the MotoGP layout (formerly Turn 12), as well as the resurfacing of the entire track.

Moto2 rider Luis Salom suffered fatal injuries during practice for the 2016 Catalan Grand Prix, with the limited run-off area through Turn 12 contributing to the tragic outcome, due to this MotoGP switched to using the F1 layout for the 2016 and 2017 events.

Whiting and Uncini have congratulated the circuit on how well they have been able to integrate the necessary changes that will help find a balance between both sets of disciplines.

With the approvals by both governing bodies complete, racing action is set to return to the circuit once all of the final touches have been made which include the re-installation of timing antennas, restitution of green areas, painting of kerbs and white lines. 

F1 is set to begin the 2018 season with testing at the circuit on February 26 with MotoGP conducting a two-day test in late May prior to the Catalan Grand Prix on June 17.

K-Mag: ‘Grosjean a strong and unique driver’

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Romain_Grosjean_and_Kevin_Magnussen-700x367.jpg

Haas drivers Kevin Magnussen and Romain Grosjean have been exchanging compliments ahead of the new season.

Toward the end of the 2017 campaign, Grosjean said that Magnussen was the "best team-mate" he has ever had and the two drivers will spend a second season together after the American outfit opted to trigger one-year extensions.

After learning of what Grosjean said about him, Magnussen was more than happy to heap praise on him in return.

"I appreciate the compliment," Magnussen said via Auto Hebdo. "Romain is also a very strong driver.

"I would even say he is unique as I have never seen someone who can overcome the blows in the way that he can."

Grosjean has had continuous struggles with the Haas car as it has been plagued by brake problems in recent years, but Magnussen has still be able to learn valuable lessons from him.

He added: "It's amazing how he can put together the pieces of the puzzle which is frustrating at times but I learned a lot from him last year."

Both Grosjean and Magnussen are out of contract at the end of the 2018 season, but there is an option once again to extend their deals by another year.

Barrichello recovering in hospital after health scare

Barrichello recovering in hospital after health scare

Former Formula 1 race winner Rubens Barrichello is recovering well in hospital following a health scare last weekend.
The Brazilian, who won races for Ferrari and Brawn in a career that spanned 322 grand prix starts, said he felt unwell on Saturday after suffering a severe headache.

Speaking from his hospital bed in a message posted on his Instagram feed, Barrichello explained that he was still undergoing checks but vowed to be back racing soon.

He did not offer any details of what was wrong, beyond suggesting that a severe headache he had suffered was related to a vein problem.

"I can see everyone is sending me messages and everyone is worried," he said. "A long time not positing pictures and so on, so I decided to tell you.

"On Saturday I decided to wake up and have a shower. I felt a terrible headache. Luckily my wife was there and she called a friend doctor who took me to the hospital, they they took really good care of me.

"I had a small problem on a vein, but I want to tell you that I am feeling great. I am still going through exams and so on, but I am honestly great and the difficulties in life are the ones who show us how to grow and how to be better.

"I am so thankful, thank god for the opportunity and soon I will be back on the race track. So good to speak to you guys."

Since retiring from F1, Barrichello has raced in IndyCar and the Brazilian Stock Car series - and more recently has been focusing on helping his son Eduardo's karting career.

How Ferrari is preparing its future F1 stars

How Ferrari is preparing its future F1 stars

One can only image what the two hotel receptionists said to each after the Ferrari Driver Academy checked out following its recent winter training camp to the Pontresina resort in Switzerland.
For during the week it was there, taking pride of place in the middle of the main hall was a top-grade F1 simulator, which was rarely left alone.

The noise of the simulator (which had the front end of the Ferrari F2004 to add a bit of authenticity) provided an ever-present backing track to the high-altitude training session when the FDA's recruits all came together.

Every time one of the youngsters passed through the reception area, he was tempted to complete yet another lap – and were he to break the lap record, then very quickly a WhatsApp message was sent around the rest of the group to let them know.

By the end of the week, the youngsters had to concede to experience though, with Giancarlo Fisichella's lap of 1m24.815s around Monza proving to be unbeaten. His performance behind the wheel proved to be as good as the advice he was able to offer the new kids.

Along with Andrea Bertolini – who was preparing ahead of some running in historic F1 cars at Fiorano – the input from the seniors was an important part of the week for youngsters eager to listen, learn and fast track their progress.

The list of youngsters on hand this year includes some long-standing academy members and new entries: Antonio Fuoco, Giuliano Alesi, Callum Ilott, Enzo Fittipaldi and Gianluca Petecof.

Ferrari Driver Academy training

Three FDA members could not make it. Robert Shwartzman and Marcus Armstrong had to take part in the Toyota Racing series in New Zealand, while Guan Yu Zhou had other clashing commitments.

This week-long get-together, organised by the programme's manager Massimo Rivola, goes far beyond just a physical training camp though, for it is more about reflecting on the wider vision of the FDA.

At the root of it there is a very clear concept, because supporting and financing a young person in the path of growth towards Formula 1 has a considerable cost.

So before racing helmets and overalls can be put on, something is demanded in return. A spirit of sacrifice, margins of learning, character aspects, reactions to group living or defeat, and many other aspects that can be observed even outside a circuit.

"Being in the mountains in a new context, and far away from one's own home, creates a new situation for our boys," explains Rivola.

"It is normal for athletes to try only the activities in which they do well, but here everyone has to take part in the same programme. The goal is to stimulate competition, evaluating the reactions to success and defeat."

In motor racing it is often said that your first rival is your teammate, and in the FDA that is the case too.

Living with your opponent is a crucial step for a future professional, and in the case of Fittipaldi and Petecof, the comparison began in sharing the hotel room. It is the first step of what will be a life together with Prema in F4 this year.

Rivola adds: "The competition creates stress, and the comparisons that begin in these three weeks of activities helps them learn how to handle this.

"The approach to training and competitions that can be done in the gym, or with skis, says a lot about a driver. When Leclerc arrived, he charged into every confrontation – but then often paid the price for that initial effort, which was collecting less than expected.

"We have done a good job with him. Being a coach or mental trainer like this puts you in a role very similar to that of track engineer - who on paper would be exclusively technical but actually needs to understand important psychological aspects."

While pushing cars and engines is nothing new in F1, what has evolved dramatically over recent years is the evaluation of drivers.

While it is now taken for granted that drivers need the right attitude to get through the doors into F1, a strong mental strength is considered a priority even beyond pure talent. A very fast driver, but with only a 'normal' psychological attitude would not last long in the pressure cooker environment of fighting for the world championship.

"In our group of drivers there are more experienced guys like Fuoco, who is about to take part in his second season in Formula 2, and other younger drivers who have just finished their karting experience," continues Rivola.

Fun in the snow

"We want them to train together, because even if the most expert can count on a knowledge that on paper gives them an advantage, a very young person can always become a thorn in their side."

The differences of age emerge in the tests that simulate the start of a race, where the young drivers always try to amaze but in doing so make too many errors and forget that it is the average value that matters most when it comes to judging performance.

But the week is also not just about hard work. During a break in proceedings, there is some stifled laughter as one of the drivers realises that his phone has gone missing – stolen in a prank. The culprits (this time Fittipaldi and Petecof) are singled out: and in revenge their room is later turned over.

Yet even these more relaxed moments – which have little to do with racing – are observed by the FDA to study mental aptitude and personality.

For the FDA has really boomed as a project – and is a world away from how 'young driver programmes' began in the early 2000s. Back then, the approach seemed to be simply delivering some economic support to a rising star, choosing them a category and, after signing a few cheques, waiting for the race wins and championships to be delivered.

It is not like that any more. The goal goes beyond just judging speed and talent: it is about assessing how a driver will react when he gets to try his hand at F1 – and especially what his response will be after he has made a serious error or if he is facing a teammate who suddenly makes his life very complicated.

"We use Prema as our reference, because it is a team that covers the path from Formula 4 to Formula 2," says Rivola. "We always try to have direct feedback from the field of competition – and try to understand the huge number of variables that are behind a victory or a bad weekend."

The value of the FDA has clearly ramped up in recent months, for the new Alfa Romeo partnership with Sauber has shown that there is a now a direct way to get a seat in F1. Charles Leclerc's promotion has given all the youngsters real hope that the Ferrari academy can take them all the way if they deliver.

Rivola adds: "When we learned that Charles had been promoted from the FDA to becoming an F1 driver, it was a huge satisfaction. It proved that everyone had been working in the right direction.

"For no matter how much you convince yourself that you are doing the right job, without a result like that you do not have the certainty. Now our youngsters have an extra stimulus. They know that the path to the top works – so it is even more important for them to be able to achieve the expected results."

One other thing that has changed about young driver programmes too is the age. A decade ago it was considered that a 'young' driver was 18 – now we are seeing 14-year-olds loading up with responsibility from major teams like Ferrari.

But starting so young can also lead to a scenario where, if things do not work out, a career can be over before it is has really begun. So what happens, then, if dreams don't come true and it is found that a youngster does not have what it takes to go to the very top?

"There are those who decide to find alternative categories independently of us, but we ourselves try to understand if a young person has the requirements to take part in GT racing for example – which is a very challenging category in which Ferrari has an importance presence.

"It is a very professional alternative, and much appreciated by the drivers who have embarked on this path. But our primary task remains to identify and help the growth of those who can aspire to the highest goals."

Just as the design and construction of an F1 car is about ensuring every detail is done to 100 percent, for the FDA nothing is left to chance when it comes to those behind the wheel.

And around the corridors of Maranello, the FDA is still pushed on by the famous words of Enzo Ferrari: "I like to think that Ferrari can build drivers as much as cars."

• Thanks 1

WOLFF: I EXPECT MORE COMPETITION AT THE FRONT

Lewis hamilton, Sebastian Vettel

It’s that time of the year when Mercedes chief Toto Wolff ‘predicts’ that his dominant team is no longer the favourites for the next Formula 1 world championship title and expects the competition to be closer at the sharp end in 2018.

Last year and the previous year he sang a similar tune, but in truth, his team utterly dominated and have won eight F1 world titles in four years, without much resistance from rival teams.

Nevertheless speaking ahead of the new season, Wolff remains cautious, “I think fans can look forward to a close competition. We had a rule change last year and we had three teams who fought hard at the front. The rules have stayed the same, the engines are converging and I think there are other teams expected to be racing at the front.”

“McLaren with the Renault engine is going to be interesting, Renault will eventually recover – they have put a lot of resource behind the project – and Force India has been punching above their weight class.”

“You can expect more with Checo [Perez] and Esteban [Ocon] being on fire, proving who is the quicker guy and Williams can always surprise. So, I expect there to be even more competition at the front this year between more drivers and more teams.”

“The mindset within the organisation is to stay humble about your own achievements but motivated and energised, in order to try and win races again and eventually – hopefully – be in the fight for the title,” added Wolff who will be targeting ten titles in five years come the end of this season.

Lasst season Lewis Hamilton claimed his fourth F1 world title, his third as a Mercedes driver, and with teammate Valtteri Bottas they claimed the constructors’ title for the fourth time in a row. The pair will spearhead the Silver Arrows challenge for a second season.

STROLL: MASSA WAS NOT MY MENTOR

Stroll-massa.jpg

Williams driver Lance Stroll has played down the importance of having experienced Felipe Massa as his teammate last year and denied there was any ‘mentoring’ role in their relationship.

“I don’t think I had any guidance from him last year, whatsoever,” the 19-year-old Canadian said of the now-retired Massa, winner of 11 races with Ferrari and runner-up in the 2008 world championship.

“He was a teammate like any other. He was busy trying to drive as fast as he could, and I was trying to drive as fast as I could. That was it. There was nothing more to it than that,” explained Stroll.

“I don’t know why people seem to think there was a coach or a mentor thing going on. There wasn’t; it was just him doing his job and me doing mine, and whoever did it better finished ahead.”

Brazilian veteran Massa, 36, retired at the end of last year and has been replaced by 22-year-old Russian rookie Sergey Sirotkin in what will now be the youngest and least experienced driver line-up on the starting grid.

The Brazilian, who has previously compared the situation at Williams to his time at Ferrari learning from Michael Schumacher, responded on Twitter with a link to the story and the words: “Better not to comment.”

Stroll, who at 18 last June became the youngest rookie to finish on the podium when he came third in Azerbaijan, recognised Massa’s knowledge had been useful in working to improve last year’s car.

“Felipe was a good help in that way of helping the team develop with the new regulations, and Robert can definitely help us,” he said, referring to experienced Polish reserve Robert Kubica.

Williams finished fifth overall last year, with Massa scoring 43 points to Stroll’s 40.

FIA TO INTRODUCE SPACE-AGE RACE GLOVES FOR F1 DRIVERS

racing glove, biometric

Formulating the ideal medical response in the event of a racing incident relies on access to the right data and now in order to provide track doctors with that information, the FIA is set to introduce a remarkable new race glove that sends potentially life-saving data from car to medical crew.

Stitched into the new generation glove is a flexible sensor that’s about to have a big impact on F1. Measuring just 3 mm in thickness, it is the sport’s first biometric monitoring device and is set to be inserted into drivers’ gloves next season in a bid to monitor their vital signs during the race.

Primarily, the sensor is another weapon in the armoury of doctors at the track. So it is appropriate that the project is being led by two people who are on the frontlines of F1 medical care – FIA Deputy Medical Delegate Dr Ian Roberts and F1 Medical Car Driver Alan van der Merwe.

“We know that the monitoring of people is essential in terms of their medical care,” says Roberts. “Drivers in incidents are no different. We would like to start monitoring and assessing them as soon as we possibly can. But the equipment that we currently use is relatively bulky and is only applied after the incident has happened. There are also times when the driver isn’t immediately accessible to us, so if we can’t see him or we’re not actually next to him, there’s limited information that we can get.”

The idea is to incorporate this monitoring technology into gloves so the drivers have sensors on them at all times during a race. Prototype gloves have already been tested at the track and have passed the FIA’s required fire safety requirements.

The FIA is also about to publish the first Biometric Standard, that all ‘biometrics’ products wishing to be used on a racing car or driver will have to pass. The technology will be available for all glove manufacturers and initially, the devices will use an optical sensor to measure ‘pulse oximetry’, or the amount of oxygen in the blood, alongside the pulse rate.

This is potentially important in the context of a racing driver because if they have an injury that is affecting breathing, the oxygen content of the blood will begin diminishing immediately. Monitoring the data also offers a range of vital information for track doctors before they even arrive on the scene.

The sensor uses a new industrial version of Bluetooth that can send information over a 500-metre radius. The hardware can send out 20 data packets a second and has a self-contained power source via a small battery. This battery can be charged inductively, so when the drivers take their gloves off they just lie them on a charging mat and it replenishes automatically.

The data, which will be encrypted and secure, is also recorded on the gloves and can be downloaded by teams when the driver is back in the garage.

“We’ll give access to the teams in year one and that will be on a download basis, so they’ll have the data from the full race weekend to look at,” says Van der Merwe. “Once we have done the initial roll-out the idea is that they will have a receiver on the car showing the drivers’ pulse oximetry in real time.”

To help with this, Van der Merwe and Roberts have set up a company – Signal Biometrics – to develop the bespoke sensor technology and integrate it into the materials. This has been essential to drive the project forward.

As Van der Merwe says, “When we first established the scope of the project, we thought we could probably take some fairly ‘off the shelf’ medical sensors and just integrate them into a glove. However, as we got into it and the FIA’s biometric standards started to take shape we realised together with the FIA that there’s no product currently in existence that can withstand the fire tests or the comfort that’s required, so we’ve had to basically make a sensor from scratch with materials that are not currently being used for this sort of thing.”

Fortunately, with Signal based at the Silverstone race track in the middle of motorsport valley, there are numerous niche industry suppliers that have been able to offer support. This has enabled them to take proven designs and adapt them in a Formula One way, shaving off as much as they can in terms of weight.

“We’ve essentially done most of the work ourselves because there isn’t currently anyone out there who does sensors that are supposed to be continually worn and used in an environment like Formula One, where there’s potentially fire and lot a of RF (Radio Frequency) interference”.

There is an economic benefit for this too as the device could have applications outside the sport. “What we feel like we’re making here is essentially a blueprint to be used in a very harsh environment,” says Van der Merwe. “If we make it scalable, potentially it could have a big impact. There are all sorts of industries that could benefit from continuous wearable sensors which are lightweight and fireproof.” F1 is also only the first step in terms of motorsport as the idea is to filter down the technology to other championships.

To help with this, the project is being supported by the Global Institute for Motor Sport Safety, the FIA’s safety research partner. “The Global Institute has been instrumental in allowing a project like this to take shape, to give us the avenues to have access to the teams and track time,” adds Van der Merwe.

The 2018 roll-out is just the start of the biometric monitoring project. There are already plans to implement sensors for respiratory rate and temperature. In addition to the safety benefits, these will help teams and drivers with performance monitoring.

“They’re the next two big things,” says Roberts. “Respiratory rate gives a very good indication of a driver’s state of health and stress, while temperature is well known for affecting performance. They are the two for us that we’re going to be looking at more than any others.”

These sensors may be placed on other parts of the body, following feedback and further testing in 2018.