FORMULA 1

Fernando Alonso: What will the Spaniard be doing for McLaren in 2019?

image.jpg

Mere months after Fernando Alonso waved goodbye to Formula 1, the double world champion has already made a comeback – of sorts... Last week it was revealed that he we be a McLaren ambassador, with the role also seeing him jump back behind the wheel of an F1 car.

The deal was announced amid plenty of hubbub in Spain. A swarm of photographers breezed down the paddock during pre-season testing at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya. Nestled inside the scrum was not a current race driver, but rather one of the greats of days gone by. Alonso had opted to make a ‘social’ visit while F1 was in homeland. It was an opportunity to catch up with old friends and colleagues and see the latest generation of cars in the flesh. But also a chance to listen in to debriefs and team radio, something which it emerged would be part of a more formal role.

Even when Alonso left McLaren, it was clear he would remain part of the family. After all, he already had a deal in his pocket to pilot one of their cars in this year’s Indianapolis 500, as he bids to become only the second man to win the fabled Triple Crown. Alongside those preparations, he is competing in the World Endurance Championship, where he is favourite to win the title with Toyota. But F1 was never too far from his mind.

“From last summer, we have been discussing different scenarios,” he said. “The first one was to secure the Indy 500. Then we discussed different things over the winter and we could announce this F1 deal.”

Of course his talents behind the wheel are one of his key strengths so time in the car is a must. Discussions about when this will happen are ongoing, but McLaren chief Zak Brown says Friday running on race weekends is unlikely. One of the in-season tests, this year pencilled in for Bahrain and Spain, and/or one of the Pirelli tyre tests, which are scattered throughout the year, are more realistic.

“We think [Alonso testing is the car is] important to help us develop the carfor this season and start giving us outlook for 2020 as well,” said Brown.

image.jpg

Alonso the developer

Development is where Alonso can have great influence. He was heavily involved when this year’s car – the MCL34 – was born at the McLaren Technology Centre. He gave detailed feedback on the team’s problems, their weaknesses and their philosophies. He even carried out simulator work. Now that the 2019 car is running on track, it makes sense he would be in a position to help the team understand the data.

“Probably some of the results that they are getting, they don’t know the background of those changes or the philosophy that is behind that design so I think that is something that I can give my input on,” he said. “Maybe having a driver behind the engineers thinking helps. They analyse and make decisions looking at the telemetry. I can be the link between what they see on the data and what the driver is feeling or what the message the driver is passing through the radio. Hopefully I can help as much as I can.”

His Indy preparations will take up a lot of Alonso's time. That’s no surprise given how keen he is to win that race. But that doesn’t mean he won’t be heavily involved in other ways until he has more capacity. It seems he’ll evolve into a super consultant, always on the end of a phone line or Whatsapp message, who will be completely plugged into the outfit when he’s away racing elsewhere or training or front and centre when he has the capacity to be onsite.

“I will try to be present at the circuit as much as I can,” he said. “Especially the first half of the season is going to be very busy for me so it is going to be difficult to attend but maybe in the second part of the year, depending on my programme for the rest of the season and 2020 maybe I will have more time. But if I am not present at the circuit I am going to be linked by either email, video conference or MTC on the simulator or in the debriefs. I still think it is going to be relevant.”

Alonso the mentor

His 18 years of experience can also be utilised with regards McLaren’s race drivers. Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris, with a combined age of 42 that is only five years older than Alonso, form one of the team’s youngest and most inexperienced line-ups ever. Fortunately, the Spaniard has had a long-term friendship with Sainz – the pair get on well and catch up away from race tracks – while he has got to know Norris well when they teamed up on the Daytona 24 Hours together in 2018. There is plenty they can learn from Alonso, which in turn will counter their relative lack of F1 experience.

“They are both well prepared and for me it’s more to make sure that what they feel and what they drive on track is well understood by the engineers because sometimes the drivers will speak one language and the engineers they understand differently,” said Alonso. “Clarification is probably the biggest thing I can help with, especially as they are very new to the team.”

From a personal point of view, it will be very important for Alonso to be driving current F1 machinery. Once you leave the championship, it’s very easy to be cut adrift – even for someone of Alonso’s immense talent. By keeping his toe in the water by driving the car on occasion while remaining across everything that is going on internally with regards the development of the car, he will remain an attractive proposition for both McLaren and potentially other teams in the future.

“I feel at the peak of my career so probably being at home is a waste of time,” said Alonso. “I feel very good now and very competitive in any car I jump in. If one day [the opportunity of] Formula 1 again arrives where I can be competitive and I can win then I cannot be relaxed at home in that moment. I need to keep updated. The way to do that at the moment is to be involved somehow. I am doing different iconic races now because I feel I am in the best moment of driving of my career so I hope to win as many races as I can.”

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have said it many times over the years, the FIA need to appoint stewards that are the same people for EVERY race. I have always felt that some stewards are biased toward "some" drivers (Of cour

F1 needs a Friday program including testing or the race tracks are going to lose a lot of ticket sales.  As a TV viewer, I find the Friday practice sessions quite enjoyable.   On par with the rest of

WILLIAMS CONFIRM SIROTKIN TO RACE AND KUBICA RESERVE Russian rookie Sergey Sirotkin will race for Williams this season after being chosen ahead of Polish rival Robert Kubica on Tuesday in wh

Alfa Romeo in 2019 - Best Case, Worst Case

image.jpg

Sauber showed some real grit in 2018, bouncing back from a tough couple of seasons that threatened their very existence. But that determination has been rewarded as they begin a new life as Alfa Romeo. In the third of 10 individual team previews, we map out the best and worst case scenarios for the Swiss-based team...

Last year’s ranking: 8th (48pts)
Driver line-up (2018 ranking): Kimi Raikkonen (3rd), Antonio Giovinazzi (N/A)

Best-case scenario

Having witnessed last year’s breakout star depart for Ferrari, by rights, the Alfa Romeo era at Hinwil should be starting in something of a fugue. It isn't, in fact the team seem to be bouncing, and against all logic, that’s down to the arrival of the Iceman: Kimi-Matias Raikkonen.

In reality, there’s a bit more to it. After a couple of years in the doldrums, the artists formerly known as Sauber are on an upswing. Eighth in 2018 may not seem like a great leap from the tenth place they occupied in 2016 and 2017 but it really was night and day: having scored points three times over two years, last season the Sauber went crazy, recording 16 points finishes, scoring in 14 of the 21 races. Good though Charles Leclerc undoubtedly is, Marcus Ericsson would undoubtedly like to point out six of those points finishes were his: Sauber’s improvement was a team effort, not a one-man band.

There’s a reasonable chance the direction of travel will continue in 2019. The notion that Alfa may become best-of-the-rest seems a little fanciful, but significant sponsorship from the eponymous Milanese car maker and a strengthened technical tie-up with Ferrari suggests they haven’t topped-out yet.

In testing, Alfa ran in the middle of the pack most of the time, completing 918 laps of the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya. Their headline time wasn't particularly rapid but the C38 topped 100 laps on six of the eight days, which, flashy front wing notwithstanding, makes it look like a solid, reliable platform on which to build – i.e. exactly what we used to expect from a Sauber, which is probably why they kept the chassis nomenclature.

With regard to their driver pairing, Antonio Giovinazzi can enjoy his introduction to a full-time race seat, secure in the knowledge everyone is going to be looking at his team mate.

Signing Raikkonen is a real coup for Alfa. While undoubtedly in the autumn of his F1 career, the Finn isn't ready for the bath-chair just yet. Last year he did the fastest lap ever in a Formula 1 car, and four races ago he was on the top step of the podium. The new challenge seems to be making him happy – and a happy Kimi is a fast Kimi.

image.jpg

Worst-case scenario

Alfa Romeo did in testing what Sauber used to do across a whole season: they started very strongly but gave the appearance of fading as time went on. In reality, it was others adding performance that created the impression of Alfa going backwards. And this remains the potential stumbling block for the Swiss outfit: having a works team name isn’t the same thing as being a works team.

And when the hoopla around the new name and the star driver fades, they have serious work to do if they’re going to overhaul some of the better resourced midfield runners.

Towards the end of the test, when nearly everyone was doing performance runs, setting their best times on the C5 compound, Räikkönen was down in 13th place and Giovinazzi 16th. They finished the test the eighth quickest team overall. They were faster than Racing Point – but given the Silverstone outfit tends to test a very basic car, it’s not inconceivable that Alfa Romeo could find themselves bringing up the rear of a congested midfield in Melbourne.

Alfa are on a recruitment drive, so it’s quite possible the performance will come later in the year – but the maxim that early points count double will be doubly relevant if the midfield is as tight as it appears.

MIKA: Classic Williams, throwing good people under the bus and not addressing the Elephant in the room being Claire Williams lack of leadership. This team has been performing dismally much longer than Lowe has been at the team for two seasons, so I just shake my head in further disappointment at a once mighty team.
The leadership needs to change IMHO and then the rest will follow. It's certainly not great that we are yet to have a single race of the season and we can in all honesty, write this team off for the season. Well.... I know I have.

I think it was the right thing to do - but didn’t go far enough. Claire should have been removed as well and yes, they are toast for this season. Might as well focus on development of the 2020 car.
  • Like 1

I think it was the right thing to do - but didn’t go far enough. Claire should have been removed as well and yes, they are toast for this season. Might as well focus on development of the 2020 car.

And if he’s taking a leave, does that mean nobody is doing his job? Not sure how that helps. If he’s been replaced then say so. The whole team is a mess and that starts at the top which is where the next change needs to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Why Renault’s bold F1 engine claims are hard to believe

Renault went into the 2019 Formula 1 pre-season making bullish noises about its engine's progress.
But if those claims prove hollow, it wouldn't be the first time in recent years that a hoped-for Renault breakthrough failed to materialise.

And having split with Honda-bound Red Bull, it's down to its own works team and McLaren – both of which looked a long way from winning races in 2018.

Does that make Renault an irrelevance heading into the new season? Scott Mitchell and Ben Anderson join Glenn Freeman to debate where it stands.

45 minutes ago, LLC said:

And if he’s taking a leave, does that mean nobody is doing his job? Not sure how that helps. If he’s been replaced then say so. The whole team is a mess and that starts at the top which is where the next change needs to be.

I think there has to be someone who will step into his role as a tempory position, someone who has been with the team for a number of years and it trustworthy. 

More on Patty Lowe

Paddy Lowe expected to be out permanently at Williams after Barcelona empty garage farce
Paddy Lowe, the Williams technical director, has paid the price for the team’s acute pre-season struggles, last night taking a leave of absence that is expected to be made permanent.
While an official statement described him as stepping aside for an undefined period for 'personal reasons', the 56-year-old, once a crucial member of Lewis Hamilton’s support network at Mercedes, is almost certain not to return.
Anger towards Lowe had been growing for some time at Williams, after the team dismally under-performed last year, finishing bottom of the constructors’ standings.
But patience was finally exhausted when they failed even to arrive for last month’s first winter test in Barcelona with a functioning car. With their machine taking to the track two-and-a-half days late, costing crucial preparation time, the decision was made to cut Lowe adrift.
For this once highly-respected Cambridge graduate, it is a remarkably rapid fall from grace. A little over two years ago, Lowe was deftly handling the fierce rivalry at the front of the grid between Mercedes team-mates Hamilton and Nico Rosberg.
But of late, he has presided over the construction of one of the worst F1 cars in recent memory, with Williams – an organisation with 16 world championships to their name – reduced from podium contenders to also-rans.
While concerns about Lowe had intensified over the winter, he had assured that he would provide a competitive car for the 2019 campaign. Instead, he missed a succession of deadlines, with the upshot an embarrassing farce at the Circuit de Catalunya, with his engineers standing sentry in an empty garage.
Even for Claire Williams, who has dealt with ever-mounting woes during her six years as deputy team principal, it was an indignity too far. Although the team did not go into detail, they confirmed last night that Lowe had “taken a leave of absence for personal reasons”.
In addition to his technical responsibilities, Lowe acquired a shareholding in Williams upon his lucrative move to the team from Mercedes in early 2017. But an ambitious move soon came apart at the seams, with the team’s 2018 car experiencing serious aerodynamic problems that led to the worst result in their history.
A wide-ranging review was conducted at their Oxfordshire headquarters to ensure that there was no repeat, but it was felt that Lowe was failing either to co-ordinate the build process or to take responsibility for the car’s deficiencies.
In a last desperate effort to save his job, Lowe insisted the 2019 car had much better characteristics than its predecessor – an argument not borne out on track in Barcelona, where it was again bottom of the timesheets.
He lacked the support of his drivers, too, with British debutant George Russell lamenting that the team were clearly slowest, and the returning Robert Kubica claiming the saga had left him knowing only '20 per cent' of what to do come the first race.
The rudderless Williams now face an almighty task to avert humiliation at the opening grand prix in Melbourne next weekend.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LLC said:

More on Patty Lowe

The rudderless Williams now face an almighty task to avert humiliation at the opening grand prix in Melbourne next weekend.

Nothing can save face for Williams and as few have already mentioned, Paddy shouldn't have been the only one to take a leave of absence.

IMHO: Claire Williams truly needs to take a step to the side lines and perhaps her brother take over the managing duties of the team and or someone completely not part of the current team. Claire's reign has been horrendous, the team is no longer even a shadow of it's former self. I'm genuinely surprised the team can attract sponsorships.

Paddy Lowe is the scapegoat. Yes.... He has been at the team since March 2017, yes, the past two seasons cars were his to take ownership on, but who is to know behind the scenes, the hold ups for development were not directly resultant on finances? I think we are not seeing the full picture here, nor will we ever.

• Like 2

It is a lot easier to be the technical lead on a program that is well funded and well staffed. Take away either of those and you have a difficult time putting out a top notch product. IMO Williams is a bottom tier team and needs to understand the limitations of that scenario. Bringing in one talented person (Lowe) does not equate to victory. They will need to spend the next 5 years building back up if they ever want to win again. That also means that they need to have investors that are willing to wait that long. It isn't going to happen overnight. I think there was some expectation that they would be right back to it with Paddy Lowe on board. Now he is just a scapegoat.

• Like 2

FORMULA 1 CONFIRM ONE POINT FOR FASTEST LAP

barcelona-t02-thursday14-131359.jpg

As expected the fastest lap during a Grand Prix will be worth a point as from the season-opening 2019 Australian Grand Prix and for the foreseeable future.

Formula 1 announced in a press release:

An important innovation in the points distribution system has been unanimously approved today by the F1 Strategy Group and the F1 Commission via an e-vote.

Starting from the Formula 1 Rolex Australian Grand Prix 2019, one point will be awarded to the driver who achieves the fastest lap of the race; said driver must be classified within the top 10.

No point will be awarded if the fastest lap is achieved by a driver who is classified outside the final top 10 positions. The point will contribute to both the Drivers’ and Constructors’ Championships.”

It means an extra 21 points will be on offer over the course of the season. Last year, Valtteri Bottas won the DHL Fastest Lap Award, after securing the most fastest laps – seven – during the season.

The change will add an extra element of strategy to the race as the drivers inside the top 10 compete for the additional point.

As Formula 1 nears its 1000th World Championship race, this decision marks a return to the past where between 1950 and 1959, the driver who established the best time in the race received a point.

Ross Brawn, Managing Director, Motorsports, Formula 1: “Together with the FIA we have been committed to evaluating ideas and solutions that can improve the show whilst maintaining the integrity of our sport. We felt that the reintroduction, after sixty years, of a point for the driver of the fastest lap in the race goes in this direction.”

“We have been considering this solution – which represents a response to detailed research carried out with thousands of our fans around the world – for a number of months. How many times have we heard the drivers on the radio ask the team about who holds the fastest lap?”

“Now it will no longer be only a matter of record and prestige, but there will be a concrete motivation that will make the final part of the race even more interesting. Sometimes it is useful to remind ourselves of the heritage of our sport to move forward.”

BINOTTO ON HIMSELF, MERCEDES, ARRIVABENE, MARCHIONNE AND MORE

2019-F1-Test-Barcelona-Ferrari-18-Feb-19-12-19-21-PM.jpg

For nearly a quarter of a century Mattia Binotto has toiled at Maranello almost incognito to the outside world, in the last couple of years he came to prominence as the team’s technical director and has now been promoted to lead Ferrari to former glory.

Prior to recently little was known about the Swiss-born engineer, who joined the Scuderia in 1995 fresh out of university, now Corriere della Serra have published a wide-ranging interview with the new team chief.

Asked for his thoughts ahead of the new season which begins this weekend in Melbourne, Binotto said, “We have a team that season after season has shown to growth, because every year the team learns, even from the mistakes. And this process has led to us building an even better single-seater.”

“I think the team to beat is still Mercedes. We are a young group, we know our goals but we will have to show that we are united in under pressure. I do not know if it’s really a concern, but this has to be checked.”

“[Mercedes] are a consolidated group, they know how to build a fast car, they have the financial resources, skills and even if they experience initial difficulties they will overcome them.”

A big question mark hangs over Red Bull and Honda, how they combine and perform could become a factor in the title race. How much of a factor only time will tell.

Asked how strong he expects the energy drinks outfit to perform, Binotto predicted, “Strong. Honda has grown and has also proved reliable with Toro Rosso.”

binotto-photo-11-Mar-19-3-40-04-PM.jpg

The Ferrari SF90 proved to be a solid and fast package straight out-of-the-box, with both Sebastian Vettel and newcomer Charles Leclerc consistently among the fastest and apart from a niggle during the second test, they managed impressive mileage, all of which bodes well for the campaign ahead.

Explaining the strengths of their new car, Binotto said, “Importantly it has aerodynamic stability, it is predictable and constant at medium and high speeds through corners and on the straights. It is something we have been searching for because it was one of the problems with the car last season.”

He explained how the solution was found “with feedback between the wind-tunnel and track. We have ramped up our simulations to identify the problems and obtain a better correlation with the data.”

Binotto also repeated that to start with young Leclerc would be given the same equipment as his more experienced teammate Vettel, “Our commitment is to give them an identical product. The approach is different: Charles is an investment for us. He will spend a lot of time with the engineers to make the best progress. He will learn quickly, he’s a smart guy. ”

As for his own strengths, the 49-year-old engineer admitted, “I’m not particularly good at design but rather [I am] an engineer with a good understanding of the physical rather than mechanical phenomenon.”

binotto-photo-01-Mar-19-12-57-48-PM.jpg

“I believe that in these years my strength has been in management of a group. Whether the topic is technical or political matters little, the important thing is how you organise a team. More than anything else I feel like a person who can help others to do their job well.”

Asked to compare himself to the legendary Enzo Ferrari who was known to be an “agitator of men” and ran his team, while managing his drivers in a similar manner.

Binotto replied, “No, mine is more that of a paternal figure. I almost feel like a tutor.”

Shedding light into the polemics that engulfed the team late last year which eventually led to his appointment in place of Maurizio Arrivabene.

Despite the latter claiming that reports after the summer last year of a crisis within the team were “fake news” it was clear Binotto was unhappy and even being courted by Mercedes, who have never been shy to ‘poach’ from Ferrari.

binotto-photo-02-Sep-17-12-56-16-PM.jpg

The story is well told how, in December, Ferrari president and Agnelli heir John Elkann tried to broker a truce between the technical chief and Arrivabene but to no avail, one had to go and they opted to release the Marlboro Man.

Asked if leaving Maranello was an option, Binotto said, “I felt I was no longer in a position to do my job well and I made it known. This was not a difficulty I was experiencing alone but also related to the whole group because even if a technical director does not work at his best, everything is reflected in those he manages.

“Yes, it’s true: other teams have been in touch with me because my experience has value in F1. I’m a Ferrari fan since I was a child. I’ve never thought of another team except Ferrari.”

Daniele Sparisci and Giorgio Terruzzi, who conducted the interview for Corriere asked the inevitable question: What were the problems between him and Arrivabene?

“Working here for 25 years I was lucky enough to live those glorious moments with Todt, Brawn and Schumacher. And then with Stefano Domenicali. I have always learned from everyone, even from Maurizio and I thank him for this.”

“The personal relationship has always been good. Never a fight, the difficulties involved the vision, the management of the group or a race weekend. We had different points of view,” responded Binotto.

Formel-1-Neue-F1-Autos-2019-_-Ferrari-Red-Bull-Mercedes-und-Co-1200x800-15a9a1ba8299ae6f.jpg

The man who believed in Binotto the most was the late Sergio Marchionne and by all accounts, before his passing last year he was plotting for this season and vital in inking a deal to promote Charles Leclerc to the team in place of Kimi Raikkonen.

Asked what the charismatic automotive titan taught him, Binotto replied, “Do not set limits. Give us the goal of reaching the impossible. It was his constant motivation, to try to do something that remains in history, either personally or of this sport.”

As for his rapid rise orchestrated by Marchionne, he revealed, “Yes, it was a completely unexpected development. He had already promoted me to head the engines in 2014 but I think with the second nomination he wanted to break the mould, not only here at Ferrari but in F1.”

“He chose a technical director who has never designed a car. It was a gamble that has to do with this horizontal organization, with which we continue to work with.”

“As a manager, you can no longer go into detail and automatically empower people. It is not Binotto’s machine, it belongs to everyone: the artist, the painter, the driver… collaborators become protagonists.”

He went on to explain that he was not surprised by his appointment to the role of team principal, “I had discussed the possibility of this with Arrivabene, but ultimately the appointment was a company decision. I am grateful to Ferrari for their trust and esteem.”

Finally, it was put to him that his is an inspirational fairytale of an intern turned team principal, he agreed, “Yes, especially for my colleagues who consider me one of them and perhaps this is my strong point. For some they are still their interns, for [me] they are young track engineers,” added Binotto, Ferrari’s 28th team principal.

MCLAREN: WE HAVE BEEN LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS MOMENT

2019BarcelonaTestDay1_X4I0861.jpg

McLaren preview the Australian Grand Prix weekend, Round 1 of the 2019 Formula 1 World Championship, at Albert Park in Melbourne from 15 to 17 March.

Carlos Sainz: “Following a productive two weeks at pre-season testing, I’m excited to truly get the 2019 season underway. Melbourne is the perfect scenario for the kick-off, I will always remember my debut in F1 here and my first points ever in the Championship. Today, I’m looking forward to racing in my first grand prix weekend with McLaren.

“Pre-season testing was key to completing my integration within the team. I’m very confident in the work I’ve put together with my engineers and I feel fit and ready to get on track. Now it’s finally time to go racing and see where we are compared to our competitors. I’ve missed Formula 1 over the break…way too much!”

Lando Norris: “This weekend marks the start of an important new chapter in my career. I’m excited to be making my Formula 1 debut and ready for the challenges that lie ahead. There are plenty of new procedures for me to get used to as I step up from F2, so the two weeks at pre-season testing were valuable as they allowed me to fully prepare for this weekend.

“This will be my first time visiting Australia, so it’ll be cool to see a new country. I’ve spent a lot of time preparing for the race in the simulator back at the factory; there are a few new circuits for me to learn this year.

“Since leaving Barcelona, I’ve spent a lot of time working with engineers and making my final preparations before taking to the track in Melbourne. I feel ready and I’m looking forward to working with Carlos and the team as we take on the 2019 season together.”

Gil de Ferran, Sporting Director: “So here we are at the start of what promises to be an exciting F1 season. Like all people that love F1, we at McLaren have been looking forward to this moment. Despite the difficulties in ascertaining a precise pecking order from testing, one conclusion we can state with reasonable confidence is that this season promises to be a close competition.

“As well as giving life to the new MCL34 in the best way we could, we’ve been working hard over the winter getting Carlos and Lando embedded into the team. We’ve also been preparing ourselves as a group, trying to incrementally improve every aspect of our roles. Pre-season testing was productive and useful for us, as we completed our goals satisfactorily.

“The journey continues into this season, with what I am sure will be an epic battle throughout the year!”

WILLIAMS: A HUGE AMOUNT OF WORK TO PREPARE ENOUGH PARTS

Williams-Tunnel.jpg

After an intense winter, the 2019 FIA Formula 1 World Championship is officially about to get underway! The season kicks off this weekend at Australia’s Melbourne Grand Prix Circuit with ROKiT Williams Racing heading into 2019 with a new look, a new driver line-up, and renewed energy.

Robert Kubica has stepped up into a full-time race seat having served as the team’s Reserve Driver last year, and the Pole will complete a remarkable return to the grid after an eight-year absence on race day down under.

He is accompanied by young British talent and current FIA Formula 2 Champion George Russell, who begins his Formula One career by making his debut in Melbourne.

Dave Robson, Senior Race Engineer: “Melbourne is a fantastic location for the first race of the new season and it will be great to get into a warmer climate following winter testing in Europe. It is an exciting season ahead with the effect of the new rules in aerodynamics, which we hope will deliver not only closer racing but also a closer grid.”

“For us, it has taken a huge amount of work by everyone [at] Grove to prepare enough parts, to get all our procedures in place, and ensure that the drivers are in the best possible position to start the competition. The first race is always one of the most interesting as we see the real order of performance for the first time.”

“In terms of the circuit itself, it is quite an unusual track where it can be quite bumpy, and tough on the brakes. It places a lot of demands on the car’s handling as well as the drivers’ stamina but also requires a lot of the aerodynamics, with the exciting high-speed chicane at T11/12 being especially demanding. It is a good test of both the drivers and the cars, but it can throw up some unusual results.”

“Finally, we wish all our fans a great start to the season.”

Robert Kubica: “It will be a very emotional Grand Prix. It is the second debut for me after being away from the sport for many years. My last Formula One race was in Abu Dhabi 2010, so I am looking forward to going to Australia with a few things to cover and learn.”

“I hope to enjoy the weekend and that everything will run smoothly without any big issues so I can concentrate on my driving and discover a new Formula One. It is one thing to drive a Formula One car, and it is another thing to actually race it.”

“Over the years, I think the approach to races has changed, so I have a lot of things to discover but I am looking forward to it.”

George Russell: “I am extremely excited for Melbourne. It will be my first race in Formula 1 and it is a dream come true. It will be a very proud and extremely surreal moment for me standing on the starting grid with everybody preparing for the race, and I am really looking forward to the whole experience.”

“I am going to make sure that I enjoy it, won’t take it for granted and make the most of it. I have never been to Australia before, so I am going out there earlier to get used to the weather, the time difference and see the city a little bit before starting work properly on the Tuesday before the race. All in all, I am really looking forward to the whole experience.”

RENAULT: THERE IS A LOT OF EXPECTATION FOR THE FIRST RACE

ricciardo-hulkenberg.jpg

Nico Hülkenberg, entering his third season in black and yellow, is joined for the first time by Daniel Ricciardo, who makes his debut for the team at his home Grand Prix in Melbourne.

Cyril Abiteboul, Nick Chester preview the season-opener and offer their verdict on the early impressions of Renault’s 2019 package.

Cyril Abiteboul, Team Principal: “The first race of the year, the Australian Grand Prix, is a high point of the season, but even more so this year as Daniel Ricciardo makes his race debut for the team. We head there united and with strong determination. We have a new car that has shown potential in Barcelona.”

“The power unit has made progress and our driver line-up of Daniel and Nico is perhaps the strongest on the grid. We’re looking forward to seeing them showcasing their experience and talent on track. There is a lot of expectation for the first race, especially with Daniel’s debut for the team coming at his home Grand Prix.”

Nick Chester, Chassis Technical Director: “Beginning the season on a street course throws up some challenges, especially after coming in from testing on a smooth, permanent surface. The track is usually a bit dirty on Friday with lack of grip and there’s always a challenge in striking a good setup as it’s a bumpy circuit. Drivers and engineers almost need to start from zero compared to Barcelona testing.”

Nico Hülkenberg: “I’m very excited to head out to Melbourne. At testing, and across the winter, there was a lot of speculation and anticipation, but the first race weekend is when the talking stops and we find out for real where we stand.”

“Testing went reasonably well, but we don’t know anything for certain until we hit the track in Australia. The midfield will always be competitive, but we focus on ourselves, stay on top of things and ensure our developments give us improvements.”

Daniel Ricciardo: “It’s an exciting thought that my first race for Renault is my home Grand Prix. There’s always so much hype at the start of the Formula 1 season, and this has been amplified by me joining a new team. I’ve had this date circled since I announced I’d be signing with Renault and I’m looking forward to getting race week started.”

“It’s been a long winter with a lot of theories and speculation going around, but the race track is where we settle all that. We had a good winter test, I’m growing happier every time I step into the car and the first race will be especially exciting.”

HAMILTON: I FEEL STRONGER THAN I’VE BEEN IN A LONG TIME

hamilton-hilfiger.jpg

Hungry for more success, Lewis Hamilton added a twist to offseason preparations before launching his quest for a sixth Formula 1 World Championship title – he binged on snack food. Less for the taste of it, more for the effect it would bring.

Eating a belly-full first and then doing extra hard workouts to turn that needless excess fat into muscle meant Hamilton returned to the track looking bigger than ever. Bigger neck, bigger upper body, bigger arms.

He wasn’t the only F1 driver to relax the diets and beef up the body after a rule change took away an advantage for being lighter.

“Over the winter and in the break, I could eat whatever I wanted, so pancakes and Cheetos, all that stuff. But I stayed very active,” Hamilton said during preseason testing in Barcelona.

“For the last month or so I have been pretty clean. My body fat is going down and you target more efficient defined muscle. I am not trying to be the Hulk. It takes time to put on muscle in the right way, but it has been great to eat bigger portions.”

Heavier drivers had complained about the previous F1 regulations, which counted the driver’s weight against the car.

The regulations for 2019 say that a driver’s weight will be considered separately from the car. The driver and the car seat now must weigh a minimum of 80 kilograms (176 pounds). It means teams are obligated to add ballast inside the cockpit if the driver is too light.

The 34-year-old Hamilton, who is listed by the Mercedes website as weighing 150 pounds, said that he had added more than four pounds of muscle through various training regimes.

“I feel stronger than I’ve been in a long time,” said Hamilton, who switched to a vegan diet two years ago. “I worked with different people a few days on and a few days off just to pick up new technique. I worked with a vegan trainer, who has been vegan his whole life and (is) a very ripped individual, and a couple of athletes.”

Mercedes didn’t reveal the details of Hamilton’s training program but team principal Toto Wolff said the star driver is “stronger than before and in a super mental state; the best I have seen so far.”

Other drivers have also piled on the pounds.

“I may have overdone it!” Romain Grosjean said. “I’ve put quite a fair bit of muscle on. I just need to sweat off a little bit for the first race but we’re going to be all right.”

More muscle helps drivers handle the physical demands of racing, such as dealing with the G-force pressing on them when they steer their one-seaters through hairpin curves at hair-raising speeds.

Hamilton’s teammate Valtteri Bottas spent time training in the frozen north of his native Finland, where he mixed cross-country skiing and other outdoor activities with in-the-gym workouts. They even included neck-strengthening exercises where he would do sit-ups sideways while wearing a racing helmet.

Bottas applauded the rule change, saying it also improves the overall health of race drivers. I think the regulation is good, especially for the taller drivers it makes life a bit easier.”

“Many drivers had to be below our natural weight and it is very easy to get ill or sick. This is the first winter for many years that I didn’t get any flu or any sickness.”

The other rule changes include revamped designs for front and rear wings to favor overtaking, and the introduction of new helmets and gloves. Fuel limits have been increased to reduce the need for drivers to cautiously manage their tanks.

The new season starts Sunday at the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne.

TIME HAS COME FOR VETTEL TO DELIVER FOR FERRARI

vettel.jpg

After collapsing under pressure during the title battle in the past two seasons, this year may be Sebastian Vettel’s last chance to show he can deliver a long-awaited Formula 1 World Championship for Ferrari.

Otherwise, the Italian team may throw its backing behind the young and ambitious Charles Leclerc, touted as F1’s next big star along with Red Bull’s Max Verstappen.

Vettel challenged strongly during the first half of 2018 when Ferrari surpassed Mercedes for speed. But just like in 2017, Ferrari made uncommon errors for such a proud team and Lewis Hamilton ruthlessly punished them as he sped to a fifth world title, his fourth with Mercedes.

Calamitous mistakes saw Vettel crashing in the rain during the German Grand Prix to gift Hamilton victory and then botching qualifying in Hungary when the skies opened again.

Ferrari’s list of errors was long, including when a mechanic’s leg was broken in Bahrain following a pit stop and when the team forgot to attach Kimi Raikkonen’s drinks bottle during the heat-scorched Hungarian Grand Prix.

They ultimately cost team principal Maurizio Arrivabene his job and he was replaced by Mattia Binotto, who was previously Ferrari’s chief technical officer.

The 39-year-old Raikkonen, who won Ferrari’s last drivers’ title in 2007, has gone back to Sauber, where he started his F1 career in 2001. It means Vettel is out of his comfort zone, for his relationship with Raikkonen was perhaps too comfortable.

Raikkonen’s public indifference to even his own success saw him apparently shrug off his podium finishes with trademark nonchalance, and an impressive victory at the U.S. Grand Prix inspired little more than a grunt of satisfaction.

Raikkonen simply did not seem to have the hunger to push Vettel. But Leclerc does, and early success for the Monegasque driver could either bring the best out of Vettel or prompt Ferrari to revise its hierarchy.

“Obviously the two will be free to fight,” Binotto said. “If there is any ambiguous situation at the start of the season, Sebastian is the one who’s got today more experience, many years he’s with us, he’s already won championships, so he’s our champion.”

Binotto’s caution is rooted in the fact Ferrari wasted countless points when Arrivabene did not prioritize Vettel over Raikkonen, even though Vettel was fighting for the title. After the Italian GP, Vettel was exasperated by his team’s poor strategy.

The 31-year-old German driver remains locked on four world titles, all during Red Bull’s dominant era from 2010-13. Hamilton took over after that, and broke Michael Schumacher’s pole position record along the way.

Last season was arguably Hamilton’s best, and took him to 73 GP wins – within 18 of Schumacher’s F1 record. As good as Hamilton undoubtedly was against Vettel, he was also on easy street inside his team.

Teammate Valtteri Bottas never won a race and was even less of a rival to Hamilton than in 2017, when at least he won three GP races. Even when he threatened to win one, Mercedes gave Hamilton clear priority over Bottas.

The only year Hamilton lost the title with Mercedes was in 2016, when teammate Nico Rosberg won nine races and pressured him. The 29-year-old Bottas faces huge pressure to prove he can keep his seat for 2020. Bottas needs wins and this might not be good news for Hamilton.

The season-opening race is this Sunday at the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne.

HORNER: MERCEDES WEAKER WITHOUT NIKI DIRECTLY INVOLVED

ChristianHornerNikiLaudaF1GrandPrixXucV416n6gCx.jpg

Christian Horner believes that Mercedes will miss the presence of Formula 1 legend Niki Lauda in their garage this season, the Red Bull chief saying that the Mercedes non-executive will be missed when the title battle heats up.

After undergoing a lung transplant during the summer of last year, Lauda has had small setbacks on his way to recovery and is likely to miss the first few races of the season, at least, as he works towards becoming fully fit and healthy again

In a wide-ranging interview with the Daily Mail, Horner spoke fondly of the three-time F1 World Champion, “Niki is a big force of nature. I hope he will be back soon. It is a tough thing he has had to go through, but he is a fighter. He is unbelievable.”

Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff and Lauda is an admirable and effective partnership, the pair combining to sustain the Silver Arrows as the force to beat in the top flight.

Horner continued, “Looking in from the outside, Niki’s absence is felt. You could see that with Toto at the end of last season when Niki was already away.”

“Niki would be missed even more if it was a close fight for the title. He is always very good with the drivers and on big decisions. He was there partly as a crutch for Toto to lean on”

“Niki has a wealth of experience and was never afraid to voice an opinion. He had the trust and support of the Mercedes board as well. So the team will be weaker without Niki having a direct involvement for now.”

Beating Mercedes on track is the goal of all the nine teams on the grid, the German team racking up ten titles in the past five years.

While Ferrari are sure to challenge, the jury is out on what Red Bull can do with Honda when the chips are down – we will know soon enough as the season kicks off this Friday in Melbourne.

Ahead of the season-opening Australian Grand Prix, Horner said of his team, ‘There is a genuine feeling of optimism for a more competitive season than in recent years. Melbourne throws up strange results and it will take three races to get a clearer picture of how everyone stands.”

“A three-way fight between Lewis, Sebastian and Max would be perfect, with the youngsters coming on strong from behind. It may come down to who can develop most efficiently right up until the first weekend of December and the last of the 21 races in Abu Dhabi. That would be great.”

“Ferrari will come out of the blocks hard and I hope we’re not far behind,” added Horner whose team last won an F1 World Championship in 2013 with Vettel.

WILL VERSTAPPEN CHALLENGE FOR THE TITLE THIS YEAR?

2019-F1-Testing-Barcelona-1-Red-Bull-24-Feb-19-7-32-54-PM.jpg

If Max Verstappen carries on where he left off, this season’s Formula 1 World Championship race could be a thrilling three-way tussle.

Whether the Dutchman is competitive against Lewis Hamilton’s Mercedes or Sebastian Vettel’s Ferrari depends less on Verstappen’s undoubted ability and more on his Red Bull’s questionable reliability.

Problems with the Renault engine powering Red Bull’s car cost Verstappen and his former teammate Daniel Ricciardo multiple retirements from races in the past two years. Red Bull ditched Renault and trusted the future to Honda, despite the Japanese engine provider’s much-publicized problems with McLaren in recent years.

Give Verstappen a car that lasts the distance and you could get a Formula Champion this year. Pre-season testing left him feeling optimistic.

“Our performance seems pretty promising and we hope to be competitive from the beginning of the year,” he said. “Overall, I think we have a pretty good package, but we won’t know where we are until we get into the race weekend and see if we have closed the gap to Mercedes and Ferrari.”

Verstappen will find that out next Sunday when the season kicks off at the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne. He will line up on the grid alongside a new and ambitious teammate in 23-year-old Frenchman Pierre Gasly, a rival from their junior karting days.

Gasly has a steely streak that could test Verstappen after some awkward moments with Ricciardo led to Verstappen alluding to head-butting media.

Temper has always been an issue with Verstappen. But in terms of pure ability, only five-time champion Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso – now retired – have been better than the 21-year-old Dutchman since he burst onto the scene in 2015.

But in the latter stages of last year’s F1 campaign, Verstappen was so good he even outclassed Hamilton on occasion.

Verstappen had four podium finishes in the last four races of last season and scored 76 points to Hamilton’s 77. It would have been 83-70 to Verstappen if not for a moment of brazen and unjustifiable one-upmanship by French driver Esteban Ocon during the Brazilian GP.

Despite having already been lapped, Ocon refused to let race leader Verstappen go past him – something he never would have done with Hamilton behind him. Instead, they tangled and bumped, sending Verstappen’s car spinning back to second place and pushing Hamilton up to first.

Verstappen found Ocon after the race shoved him three times before angrily pointing a finger at him as he walked away. He was typically unrepentant over his altercation, even suggesting the French driver got away lightly.

“I thought it was quite a calm response,” he said. “What do you expect me to do? Shake his hand and say: Thanks very much.”

Don’t expect anything different from Verstappen, who simply does not deal in diplomacy. For while he has curtailed some of his the overly risky driving that drew criticism from Vettel and even the unflappable Kimi Raikkonen, the only currency Verstappen deals in is victory.

Verstappen was 18 when he became the youngest driver to win an F1 race and to qualify on the front row of the grid.

He says he’s now more mature, calmed by the two days of community service he was ordered to do by F1’s governing body following the Ocon incident. It was hardly exerting, he had only to attend a Formula E race in Morocco as an observer.

But it had a surprisingly illuminating effect on the hot-blooded Verstappen, who understood how difficult things are for stewards on race day in the slower Formula E format – let alone the full-throttle world of F1.

With his speed intact and his temper in check, Verstappen appears ready to challenge Hamilton and Vettel. Whether his car allows remains a key question.

BOTTAS: I DECIDED I’M GOING TO BEAT EVERYONE THIS YEAR

Bottas Photo 2018 German Grand Prix, Friday - Wolfgang Wilhelm

Last season’s Formula 1 campaign was so demoralizing for Valtteri Bottas that he got drunk to forget all about it, he didn’t win a single race in 2018 despite driving for the dominant Mercedes team.

But having pressed the reset button over the winter break, the Finnish driver believes he can be a genuine challenger for the F1 title this season.

“I got to Finland, got properly smashed a few times, did anything I wanted to do basically,” Bottas said during an event for Mercedes’ sponsors in Turin. “Then I got a camera, I started photographing, it’s like a new hobby now so sometimes went for a walk somewhere and took pictures.

“I also travelled with my wife and some friends to South America, just for a proper holiday, didn’t think about Formula 1. When I came back I decided that I’m going to beat everyone this year.”

That means going up against Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton, who is chasing a sixth world title and a fifth since joining Mercedes in 2013.

“Yes, that is my aim and I feel I can do it,” Bottas said when asked if he could be a genuine challenger. “That’s the goal but how to get there, that’s going to be hard work.”

Bottas competed with Hamilton on occasions last season but a mixture of bad luck, tentativeness and team orders saw him finish the year with seven second-place finishes and no wins.

In Baku, a puncture at the end cost him victory, while he failed to launch an attack on Sebastian Vettel for victory in the closing stages of the Bahrain Grand Prix. In Germany and Russia, Bottas was forced to follow Hamilton home because his chances of challenging for the title were over.

A somewhat clumsy comment from team boss Toto Wolff describing Bottas as a “sensational wingman ” affirmed the widely held view Bottas was effectively No. 2 at Mercedes. It stung Bottas’ pride, but he still didn’t win.

However, the newly bearded Bottas looks leaner, meaner and keener as he bids to turn his fortunes around. Last season “was tough, quite tough, but it’s over it’s done,” Bottas said. “It’s made me tougher. I feel it’s a nice fresh start.”

He needs to make a strong start and maintain it, regardless of the pressure that comes with it, “I’ve learned that the first half of the season is always very important.”

“I started the year pretty well, just sometimes lost some points because of different things. I’m ready to go for it and try to be a better me,” said Bottas, who will be 30 in August.

The new season starts next Sunday at the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne. The pressure will be on Bottas and on Mercedes, with Ferrari quicker than Mercedes in pre-season testing.

Bottas needs to perform in order to get a new contract for 2020 or risk losing his seat to Frenchman Esteban Ocon.

“It’s not the moment at the beginning of the season to talk about that. He knows that he has our support,” Wolff said of the 2020 contracts. “His seat is super safe for 2019 and he knows what he has to do.”

Still, it noticeably took Wolff until July of last year to give Bottas a new contract for 2019. Hardly an overwhelming show of confidence.

Bottas probably needs to win at least three races, the same number he managed in 2017 after replacing world champion Nico Rosberg.

WEBBER: RICCIARDO NEEDS SOME STARS LINING UP TO WIN IN 2019

Renault-18-Feb-19-1-33-22-PM.jpg

Australian Formula 1 great Mark Webber believes countryman Daniel Ricciardo can break new ground at Renault and record a race victory in the 2019 season, but will need a substantial dollop of good fortune to do so.

The 29-year-old Australian made a high-profile switch from Red Bull to Renault in the off-season, a move very much seen as one for the future.

Renault have not produced a podium finish since Nick Heidfeld achieved the feat at the 2011 Malaysian Grand Prix but are expected to big improvers in the coming years.

Asked if Ricciardo could win a race for Renault – who finished fourth in the 2018 constructors’ championship – in 2019, Webber told Australian Financial Review, “He’d need some stars lining up, but it can happen.”

“He’s not ballistically quick over one lap but when it comes to racing … if anyone can pull something out of that Renault on Sunday it’s him.”

Webber was more bullish about Ricciardo’s impact at Renault, confident that the popular Australian would improve the fortunes of the Anglo-French team.

“It’s going to be a long campaign to get them competitive,” Webber added. “[But] he’ll lift that team – there’s no doubt about it.”

As for the pecking order at the top ahead of the season opener next weekend, Webber said, “There’s a lot of shadow-boxing going on.”

All 20 drivers will be at the official Formula 1 Season Launch at Federation Square in Melbourne on Wednesday 13 March from 3:30 pm, ahead of Thursday at Albert Park when the weekend kicks off with the driver portraits photo shoot and the first drivers’ press conference of the season

FP1 and FP2 take place on Friday, 15 March, followed by FP3 and Qualifying on Saturday and Round 1 of the 2019 Formula 1 World Championship takes place a day later at the city park venue.

WILLIAMS F1 LEGALITY ANALYSED BY SCARBS

Late for testing and now without their Technical Director, Paddy Lowe, Williams face more issues as the legality of their mirror fairings and front suspension fall into question. Craig Scarborough explains.

BRAWN: FRUSTRATING WE CAN’T FIND A SOLUTION WITH SILVERSTONE

2018-British-Grand-Prix-Qualifying-013-750x484.jpg

Formula 1 could look to London if together with Silverstone they fail to secure a deal for the British Grand Prix after this year, according to the sport’s managing director Ross Brawn.

Brawn told reporters that Formula 1 was determined to race in Britain and Silverstone, which hosted the first championship grand prix in 1950, was the preferred option.

“We’re differing in our views of what’s reasonable and what’s not,” the Briton said of negotiations. “Not a massive amount apart but it’s frustrating that we can’t find a solution.”

Asked about London, which will host a Formula E race next year in the city’s Docklands, Brawn said a race nearby might be possible.

“I don’t think its feasible to have a race in the middle of London, unfortunately, because the chaos and impact it would have would be too severe,” he said.

“But on the peripheries of London there’s a number of areas that could work. So I think the question’s open. I don’t see that London would necessarily replace the British Grand Prix, it would be the London Grand Prix.”

Brands Hatch, south of London, hosted 12 British Grands Prix between 1964 and 1986 as well as the European Grand Prix in 1983 and 1985.

“It didn’t seem that strange that we had a race at Brands Hatch one year and Silverstone the next,” said Brawn.

He also played down fears that Britain’s impending departure from the European Union could be a threat to the sport.

Seven of the 10 teams are based in Britain and Toto Wolff, boss of champions Mercedes, recently said a no-deal Brexit would be “the mother of all messes”.

Brawn was less concerned about the impact, “There will be some bureaucracy that will come with Brexit that will be a bit painful, but apart from that I’m sure we can make lots of arguments for the negatives and positives as well.”

“Formula One teams are pretty resourceful and capable and this is not going to stop them racing.”

The season starts in Australia on March 17 with following races in Bahrain, China and Azerbaijan in late April before returning to Europe for the Spanish Grand Prix in May.

Britain is due to leave the EU on March 29, although Prime Minister Theresa May has opened up the possibility of a delay.

INSIDE LINE: IS IT TIME FOR CLAIRE WILLIAMS TO STEP ASIDE?

Claire Williams

I guess someone has to ask the awkward question, so here goes: Is it time for Claire Williams to step down as deputy team principal?

Because under her tenure the once mightiest team in Formula 1 is limping to the grid for the opening round of the 2019 Formula 1 World Championship, engulfed in a crisis that threatens its future.

A week ago amid a disastrously late start to the new season the daughter of team founder Sir Frank Williams declared that there was no crisis and no turmoil at Grove.

Fast forward to last week and finally, Paddy Lowe got his marching orders after steering the team into an iceberg with a hopeless 2018 race car and followed that by grossly missing the deadline for the new car.

The FW42 was not only late it was hardly ready, while spare parts were also scarce which even further compromised their testing. And most troubling it was nearly three seconds off the top pace and 1.2 seconds shy of their nearest rivals.

Adding to their woes is the fact that the car they put out in the final F1 pre-season test in Spain was reportedly not fully legal and raised the eyebrows of rival engineers who got word to the FIA who, in turn, mandated changes.

In other words, Paddy’s second car for the team is also rubbish.

No matter how you look at it this IS a crisis for the team, and there IS turmoil at Grove, this is obvious but apparently, not according to Claire who denied the reports, which triggers the inevitable questions:

Was she lying? Or was she not aware it was a crisis?

Of course, I seriously doubt she lied but rather was unaware of the pandemonium, which is where the problem lies. That she played down and even denied the upheaval suggests she had her head-in-the-sand as mayhem wreaked havoc with their 2019 programme.

Rewinding back to March 2013, Claire was appointed deputy team principal responsible for marketing, communications and the commercial aspects of the family business.

Early on in her charge, Williams team were third in the F1 constructors’ pecking order, but since then they have slid to where they are now – last – but most alarming, without an end in sight to their plight.

In 2017, under Claire’s watch, the team lured Paddy back as Chief Technical Officer for a substantial wedge and great expectations.

His shares were way up, he was fresh from a four-year stint with Mercedes and thus he was part of the Goliath that the Siver Arrows became.

Hence he arrived at Grove as the new messiah, the man with a plan which for some reason the team lacked at that point and arrived lamenting the “loser culture” he found in the trenches of the third most successful Formula 1 team in history.

History now shows that Paddy failed miserably at the helm of the technical office but (perhaps his biggest crime) before jumping ship he first forced his guys to walk the plank. Remember Dirk de Beer?

By being allowed to wield the axe himself (by Claire?) he saved his ass from the 2018 fail fallout and bought himself another year, only to ‘deliver’ an even bigger disaster which now threatens to sink this great team.

Adding insult to injury, with the team going under, Paddy has taken or forced to take a “leave of absence” which means: He won’t be back, just some paperwork to sort out

How did Claire allow it to get to this?

Maybe she had no control, after all, she admitted she never saw it coming!

Indeed, this lack of vision means her team begins the season with no technical director, a half-finished and maybe illegal car, with only a week to go to the first race weekend in Melbourne.

If I am shaking my head, imagine Robert Kubica and his backers, or young George Russell and his minders, they must be livid. Innocent bystanders with so much to lose in this saga.

As a family team, the subject of succession is different from the corporate entities that all the other F1 teams have become. The corporates fire people, family dynasties don’t.

Claire won’t get fired but maybe it is time for her to step aside or at least plan to do so, perhaps take on a commercial or ambassadorial role within the organisation.

In July last year I wrote: “Claire’s management skills are being severely tested but perhaps the two big questions keeping her awake at night are, one: whether Lowe is the man for the job, or two: maybe it is time for her to step aside and allow her marginalised brother Jonathan Williams take over the reigns of Daddy’s business.”

Question one is answered with a resounding: Paddy is not the right guy.

But number two, whether F1 admits it or not, is the question everyone should be asking, not least Williams shareholders.

• Like 1