FORMULA 1

HAKKINEN: FERRARI TEAM ORDERS UNEXPECTED IN FIRST RACE

190035_aus.jpg

Mika Hakkinen was surprised by team orders dished out by Ferrari to keep Charles Leclerc behind Sebastian Vettel during the Australian Grand Prix, round one of the 21-race 2019 Formula 1 World Championship.

In the late stages of the race in Melbourne, Vettel asked his team over the radio where the power went but, like him, they were clueless to why the #5 car was so sluggish at that point while Leclerc gobbled up the gap between them.

When he approached his teammate Leclerc queried over the radio: “Do you want me to stay behind Sebastian? Yes or no?”
Engineer: “Yes. And back-off to have some margin.”
Leclerc: “Ok.”

In his post-race analysis Unibet column, Hakkinen wrote, “It was interesting that Leclerc was faster than Vettel in the closing stages of the race and could probably have overtaken him where it not for team orders.”

“We expected Leclerc to challenge Vettel sometimes this year, but to have team orders imposed in the first race was unexpected. Sebastian will recognise that more than anyone.”

The two-time F1 World Champion continued, “After appearing to dominate pre-season testing, Ferrari had a disappointing race in Australia.”

“One of the problems with preseason testing in Barcelona is that this circuit has a unique mixture of high, low and medium speed corners, but not every track is like that.”

“In Melbourne, there are several slower 90-degree corners, such as Turns 3, 13 and 15, and Ferrari seemed to struggle for grip. The track surface was also very different to Barcelona.

While Ferrari’s challenge may have waned in the first round, Red Bull Honda rose to the occasion to score a famous podium in their debut race as a partnership.

Hakkinen pointed out, “Someone else who knows how hard it is to be successful in F1 is Honda, and they will be very happy to score a podium finish in their first race weekend with Red Bull.”

“It is clear that Red Bull Honda will be a force in this years world championship. It has taken four difficult years of development, and the fact that Max Verstappen was able to achieve it by overtaking the Ferrari of Vettel was pretty special.”

The Vettel-Leclerc sideshow is full of intrigue as the young gun’s arrival at Maranello will incite a reaction from the four-time F1 World Champion and how he rises to the challenge is one of the key questions at Maranello this season.

Perhaps rough around the edges for such a big team, Leclerc will no doubt learn quickly from his errors, but will have to find something extra special to beat Vettel in qualifying, do it regularly and force the team into a decision they can’t refuse.

Until then the 21-year-old will get the call to hold station, or worse, cede a place to his teammate. Interesting times lie ahead at Ferrari.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have said it many times over the years, the FIA need to appoint stewards that are the same people for EVERY race. I have always felt that some stewards are biased toward "some" drivers (Of cour

F1 needs a Friday program including testing or the race tracks are going to lose a lot of ticket sales.  As a TV viewer, I find the Friday practice sessions quite enjoyable.   On par with the rest of

WILLIAMS CONFIRM SIROTKIN TO RACE AND KUBICA RESERVE Russian rookie Sergey Sirotkin will race for Williams this season after being chosen ahead of Polish rival Robert Kubica on Tuesday in wh

WOLFF: I’M REALLY HAPPY FOR HONDA

MaxVerstappenF1GrandPrixAustraliablUf2wFTjmnx.jpg

While Mercedes might have arrived in Australia expecting Ferrari to be their challengers in chief from the start of the new season, but instead it was Red Bull who led the chase on a dominant afternoon for the World Champions.

Making the most of Honda power for the first time, Max Verstappen finished third, with second-placed Lewis Hamilton in his sights, albeit 22 seconds shy of winner Valtteri Bottas.

Although a largely unexpected result on the day, Verstappen showed a strong hand in qualifying to split the Ferrari duo and claim a spot on the second row and then in the race he appeared to be capable of harassing Hamilton’s stricken Merc.

Speaking after his team’s commanding win Down Under, Toto Wolff told the official F1 website, “Honda has certainly made a huge step forward.”

“If you look at the speed trace it looks a very different Red Bull than before. They are very fast on the straights and that is good to see because we want them in the mix and to have a great fight.”

With the prospect of another year of yawn-inducing Mercedes dominance, even Wolff is hoping for a scrap, “I’m really happy for Honda. It’s their first podium since their return [to F1 in 2015] and they deserve it. They went through some really tough times. Seeing the Honda on the podium and seeing how happy the guys are is great.”

Verstappen dispatched Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel for third position late in the race, powered away to chase Hamilton for second place, but the Dutchman ran out of laps.

Wolff added, “They were very strong. You saw how they have eaten up Sebastian into Turn 3, the power was enormous. The combination with Red Bull will become a threat. Based on the level of performance, you must certainly have them in the calculation for the championship.”

It is in the best interests of Mercedes to have a serious challenger in Formula 1 this year, their enormous and relentless success on track has not been universally celebrated. They are at the stage now that the more the Silver cars win without a real effort the less popular they become.

RALF SCHUMACHER: VERY SURPRISED IF WE HAVE A ‘NEW’ BOTTAS

ralf-schumacher.jpg

Six-time Grand Prix winner Ralf Schumacher has played down suggestions that a ‘new’ Valtteri Bottas has stepped out of the shadows at Mercedes by winning the first race of the season in Melbourne last weekend.

Schumacher, brother of Formula 1 legend Michael Schumacher, has emerged as a Sky Sport pundit for German TV and gave his take on what unfolded at the Australian Grand Prix.

In qualifying, Bottas ran pole-winner Lewis Hamilton close as the pair locked out the front row for the season opener. Then, from the start, the #77 car launched well to take the lead into Turn 1 and remain there until the chequered flag waved, winning by over twenty seconds.

The victory prompted a flurry of reports hailing a ‘new’ Bottas, a revitalised driver compared to the one who failed to score a victory the whole of last year. Not a wingman on that day.

But Schumacher interpreted the Finn’s performance differently to most, “I would say it was just a good weekend for him no more and no less. I would not read too much into it. He showed in qualifying that he could be on the level of Hamilton but, in the end, he was still a tenth away.”

“Without [Hamilton’s broken] floor and the good start, it would be the usual story I am pretty sure. That’s why: Yes, fine that he did it but I would be very surprised if we have a new Bottas.”

Nevertheless, victory will be a boost for Bottas who claimed all 26 points on the day, leading the championship standings for the first time in his career. As the circus heads to Bahrain, he is the man to beat.

Schumacher added, “Bottas definitely needs the momentum, no question about that and he’s a driver who can be as quick as an arrow, but not very consistent – and suspect under pressure.”

“Lewis’ strength is his consistency, his ability to be fast and race at the right time. I want [Bottas] to do it, but I would be very surprised if he learned this over the winter. It’s also a character thing after all, but he granted he drove a good race, which makes me very happy for him.”

“He was extremely strong during the weekend, maybe even a bit stronger than Lewis but you can not interpret too much into it, because Lewis had an obvious problem with the floor.”

But at the same time, Schumacher conceded that Hamilton would have struggled to beat Bottas when he arrived into Turn 1 in P2, “Lewis would have had to overtake him with the undamaged car first, otherwise, I don’t think that would’ve happened in the race.”

Renault finally has F1 engine it needed two years ago - Carlos Sainz Jr.

jm1915ma237.jpg

Carlos Sainz Jr. says Renault-powered Formula 1 teams are now have “something to fight with”, courtesy of the engine gains made by the manufacturer.

Renault has lagged behind Mercedes and Ferrari throughout Formula 1’s hybrid era, while Honda’s gains – facilitated by its new-for-2019 alignment with Red Bull – have propelled it into the fight.

But Sainz Jr. believes the French marque has also made strides with its power unit that will enable both the manufacturer team and his McLaren squad to put up a greater fight.

Sainz Jr. has raced Renault power in all but one year (2016) of his Formula 1 career.

Toro Rosso used Renault’s power units in 2015 and 2017, while Sainz Jr. switched to Renault’s factory team in late 2017, and for 2019 has joined the Renault-powered McLaren operation.

“I feel a change, yes,” said Sainz Jr. in Australia of Renault’s power unit.

“I feel a step forward, a step in the right direction. I still think we are a bit behind the Ferrari and Mercedes engines, but it definitely feels like we have something to fight with now.

I’ve done four years in Formula 1, those four years have been 10km/h down on all the straights so finally be to turning up to Melbourne and being just two or three km/h down on the top teams is a really, really encouraging scenario.

"They seem to have clear ideas of how to develop the engine through the year.

"I would praise Renault in that sense because finally it seems they’ve done the step they were needing two years ago.”

Nico Hulkenberg was the only Renault-powered driver to reach the points in Australia; team-mate Daniel Ricciardo retired after sustaining early damage, joining Sainz Jr. on the sidelines after a suspected MGU-K failure early on.

Lando Norris made Q3 for McLaren but fell to 12th by the chequered flag.

Sergio Perez says Mexican Grand Prix future 'looking more promising'

perez-mexico-jm1826oc484.jpg

Sergio Perez says he is gaining in optimism that the future of Formula 1’s Mexican Grand Prix post-2019 will have a positive resolution.

Mexico re-joined the Formula 1 calendar in 2015 and immediately established itself as one of the most-popular events, attracting a large crowd on each occasion.

But a change of authority has led to doubts over whether public funding will continue to be used for the Grand Prix, leading to uncertainty regarding the future of the event.

Perez suggested during pre-season testing that the Mexican Grand Prix’s future was “not looking great”, but in Australia cut a more upbeat stance.

“It’s looking a bit more promising lately,” said Perez, who is Mexico’s only representative on the Formula 1 grid.

“I really hope that for Formula 1 that we don’t lose such a big venue, it’s been the best Grand Prix in the last four years and I hope we get to see the Grand Prix more often in the calendar.

“Also for my country I think we need Formula 1 because it’s a great exposure, it really shows how great is Mexico as a country, so I’m optimistic so I’m more optimistic than I used to be.

“There are some talks, I obviously don’t have the full details and it’s not my job to really comment on that. It’s just that things probably aren’t as bad as they were so there might be some hope.”

Mexico is one of five Grands Prix on the current calendar without a 2020 contract.

Events in Spain, Britain, Germany and Italy have also yet to secure their respective futures post-2019.

FIA to address start lights after driver struggles

jm1628jy221.jpg

The FIA has said it is seeking a solution to driver complaints that they couldn't see the start lights during the season-opening Formula 1 race in Melbourne last weekend.

Robert Kubica was one of a handful of drivers who struggled to see the start lights on Sunday as they were blocked by the rear-wing of Carlos Sainz's McLaren ahead, forcing him to shift himself to the side to see an extra set of start lights positioned on the pit wall.

"I actually had a bit of a panic because when I stopped I couldn’t see the lights," said Kubica. "The rear-wing of the McLaren was hiding it, so I could see the first block but not the rest.

“Then I had to move to the left and there was an additional light so it was a bit of a panic moment."

The rear-wings have increased in both height and width as part of the new 2019 aerodynamic rules aimed at making it easier to follow another car.

Gasly also highlighted the issue, revealing that he had to use his rivals as a marker as to when to go, which caused him to get a slow getaway.

"With the new bigger rear-wings, I couldn’t see the lights on the grid so I had to react with the cars around me and I lost a couple of places," the Red Bull driver added.

The FIA says it is aware of the problem and will have a solution in place for the next race in Bahrain, which could include additional lighting panels or simply repositioning them.

Renault: Agreeing cost cap more urgent than 2021 tech specs

Renault: Agreeing cost cap more urgent than 2021 tech specs

Renault team principal Cyril Abiteboul believes that agreeing a new set of financial regulations should be the first priority in discussions over Formula 1's post-2021 future.
A cost cap is one of the key elements mooted for F1's 2021 rules overhaul, along with revenue distribution, governance and sporting and technical regulations.

It has long been a subject of debate because teams have questioned how fairly it could be implemented, especially with regard to teams backed by manufacturers.

It’s anticipated that next week’s meetings of the Strategy Group and F1 commission in London will see some progress made.

“There is a lots of dialogue between the teams and F1 and the FIA, in particular on the budget cap,” Abiteboul told Motorsport.com. “That’s a very complex set of new regulations, and something that did not exist.

“So every day, every week, we are making progress to address some of the concerns.

"As far as Renault is concerned because we think that something needs to be seriously done to contain the costs to be competitive in F1, we are massively in support of the budget cap.

“Is it the perfect answer? Maybe not. Is it the best answer? Probably.

"That’s why we’re working very actively to make it as robust as possible, and according to what will be our assessment at the end, we will see if we can be in favour, and we think it is a proper deterrent, or not. Lots of progress is being done on that aspect.”

Abiteboul says that it’s important that decisions are made soon, so that teams and manufacturers can start planning around the changes – and indeed decide whether or not they wish to sign a new Concorde Agreement and continue in the sport.

“I think we all accept that everyone needs to have some form of clarity before the summer. In order to do that we need to seriously get things ticked off, in particular on the financial side, on the governance.

“For me the three things that can’t wait are the financial distribution, the governance, and the budget cap – anything that’s related to the business, and the sustainability of the business model is important, because that’s what will define whether or not F1 is still a compelling and attractive platform for 2021.

“Then I would almost say that the set of regulations is secondary. Once the budget cap is introduced then we move the exposure to the cost of the regulations, and then they can define almost any regulation they want.

"That’s our opinion. That’s why this side in particularly is very important to be sorted.”

Abiteboul acknowledges that it’s not easy for F1 and the FIA to come up with solutions that will satisfy all the teams.

“I think it’s complex. They trying to reconcile teams that have different business models, very distinctive set-ups.

"Right now it looks like they are not prepared to upset anyone. The risk and danger is that by doing that they end up upsetting everyone.

“That’s why I think it’s taking a lot of time to find something that would be able to satisfy everyone.

"I can see where they’re coming from, I can understand their point. But I think the main thing to do is to make sure that F1 is and remains attractive.

“Right now it looks like they are afraid of losing one team, two teams, three teams. I think what’s really important is instead of having to live in fear we make F1 a platform that is again attractive enough to attract enough teams, so that you are not held to ransom by anyone.”

• Like 1

Planned Miami F1 race poised for key vote

Planned Miami F1 race poised for key vote

A Formula 1 race on the streets of Miami could take a step closer to becoming a reality after a key vote in the city on March 28.
In a regular gathering the City Commission will formally consider plans for a Miami GP for the first time since a resolution was deferred at a similar meeting held on September 27 last year.

After that meeting, it was accepted that there would be no race in 2019, and the consensus was that it would be sensible to take some time to consider the plans and hear objections.

Over the past six months, F1 personnel have continued to work closely with the key parties in Miami to move things along.

The deal is complicated by the fact that it involves the F1 organisation, promoter South Florida Racing, the City of Miami and the Bayfront Park Management Trust. The latter organisation has jurisdiction over the land used by a significant part of the track around the harbour front.

The latest resolution indicates that the pieces have now fallen into place and that a positive City Commission vote will move plans on to the next stage.

Despite the first event having long been postponed until at least 2020, the original contract - which references both an inaugural 2019 race and the Fan Festival that took place last October - is still the one under discussion.

The resolution that will be voted on notes that: “The City Commission wishes to authorize the City Manager to execute the Host City Agreement and the Park Use Agreements for the Formula 1 Miami Grand Prix, between the City of Miami (“City”), the Bayfront Park Management Trust (“Park”), South Florida Racing, LLC. (“SFR”) and Formula One World Championship Limited (“Formula One”), in a form acceptable to the City Attorney (collectively, “Agreements”).

“The City Commission wishes to allow SFR and Formula One to run the Formula 1 Miami Grand Prix from 2019 through 2029 with a fan festival to be held in October of 2018 pursuant to the Agreements.”

The paperwork suggests that one of the issues that had to be addressed was the nature of the negotiations surrounding the contract, in effect waiving the degree of transparency that is usually required by the Miami city code.

It’s noted that the resolution is being submitted “after an advertised public hearing, ratifying, approving, and confirming the City Manager’s finding (…) that competitive negotiation methods and procedures are not practicable or advantageous (…) waiving the requirements for said procedures.”

Pirelli targeting six 2019 test days with 18-inch tyres

jm1409jy80.jpg

Formula 1 tyre supplier Pirelli is hoping to carry out six days of testing on 18-inch wheels this year, as it begins preparations for 2021.

Formula 1 is poised to introduce 18-inch wheels as part of the 2021 regulatory overhaul, with Pirelli – sole supplier since 2011 – already confirmed as the exclusive partner through at least 2023.

Pirelli has already expressed its desire to carry out the testing using modified 2018 cars though does not expect each team to participate due to the costs and resources involved in supplying the mule cars.

This is similar to 2016, when only Ferrari, Red Bull and McLaren supplied 2015 cars modified to simulate the increased downforce level that was expected for 2017.

All data gathered at the relevant tests will be shared between all teams, ensuring no-one gains an unfair advantage, while Pirelli itself will carry out the programme.

“If we have just a few teams testing in 2019 it’s not a problem as in 2020 we are going to offer again to all the teams the opportunity to make a mule car,” said Pirelli chief Mario Isola.

“It’s very important [to start testing in 2019] considering the level of performance of the cars and we need to be sure we are supplying a good product.

“Starting in the second half of the year gives us the opportunity to use the winter time to review the test to make changes if it is necessary, if for example [we need] to change the profile of the tyre, and to make new moulds, it takes time.”

Pirelli, which is continuing its 2020 tyre development programme with all 10 Formula 1 teams through 2019, will then use next season’s 25-day allocation solely for 18-inch 2021 testing.

It has yet to be determined how many teams will participate in those test days.

BINOTTO: CORRECTIONS WE MADE WILL BE EVIDENT IN BAHRAIN

D2g_6zJWsAA3oJv.jpg

Clearly not licking their wounds from the trouncing they got from Mercedes in the season-opening Australian Grand Prix, Ferrari intend to show what they really have in the tank and forget the ‘anomaly’ which many believe was the case in Melbourne.

Previewing the Bahrain Grand Prix weekend, round two of the 21-round Formula 1 World Championship, Binotto said, “The Sakhir circuit has very different characteristics to the Australian one, with traction and braking being key factors.”

“As a team, we will have to ensure that we have understood and rectified the areas where we were weak in Australia, which therefore meant we were unable to fully exploit our car’s potential.”

“In Bahrain, we expect to see the effect of the corrections we have made, although we are well aware that our competitors will once again be very strong. With that in mind, we are keen to get back on track and face up to them.”

The consensus in the paddock appears to be that the Reds will bounce back in the desert, an perhaps they will but the gulf in qualifying of seven-tenths around Albert Park, will be weighing heavily on them.

Ferrari have won six times in Bahrain. The first victory came in the inaugural edition of the race in 2004, courtesy of Michael Schumacher, before Felipe Massa won in 2007 and 2008.

2010 was the only year in which the race was run on the 6.299 kilometre “endurance” layout of the track and the winner was Fernando Alonso, making his debut with Ferrari, thus joining an exclusive club made up of Juan Manuel Fangio, Giancarlo Baghetti, Mario Andretti, Nigel Mansell and Kimi Raikkonen.

Sebastian Vettel has won for Ferrari in both the past two years.

SCHUMACHER TO TEST FOR FERRARI AND ALFA IN BAHRAIN

MickSchumacherF1GrandPrixBelgiumdGR7CHxCQ5cx.jpg

Mick Schumacher will follow in the footsteps of his legendary father, Michael Schumacher, as he looks set for his Formula 1 debut at the Young Driver Test in Bahrain, a couple of days after this weekend’s Grand Prix.

The 20-year-old will also make his debut in Formula 2 at the season opener with Prema, entering the series this season after winning the FIA European Formula 3 title in 2018 which also means he has enough super licence points to drive an F1 car in an official capacity.

Auto Bild are reporting that the youngster will kit up for Ferrari on the first day of the test and the next day for Alfa Romeo at the first in-season F1 test.

The fact that Schumacher was inducted into the Ferrari Driver Academy (FDA) earlier this year has opened the door to this unique testing opportunity.

Alfa Romeo, formerly Sauber, groomed Charles Leclerc last year ahead of his promotion to the Scuderia. This season, Antonio Giovinazzi is next line. So, it would be safe to expect Schumacher will progress along a similar path, while his minders are adamant that they will not rush the German through to the top flight.

Last month Vasseur confirmed interest in running the youngster in testing when he said in an interview, “There is a shortlist and Mick is part of the shortlist because he is one of the guys in F2 who fits the criteria to be eligible for the rookie test – the choice is quite limited.”

“But we have not made a decision yet. There are several names on the list. We will continue to evaluate the options available and discuss with Ferrari.”

The Ferrari development is new and an announcement in this regard is expected ahead of the Bahrain Grand Prix weekend. The Young Driver Test takes place on 2-3 April at the venue.

While Schumacher junior has never participated in an official F1 test he has driven an F1 car (pictured above) when he took to the track in his father’s title-winning Benetton Ford B194 before the 2017 Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps.

BOULLIER: FROM DAY ONE HONDA WERE UNPREPARED FOR F1

EricBoullierF1GrandPrixAustriaPracticeMSW8yQ875ysx.jpg

Eric Boullier has been off the radar since he was unceremoniously dumped by McLaren last year as team chief Zak Brown swept clean the old order at Woking, bringing in pal Gil de Ferran to replace the Frenchman at the once mighty team.

Boullier was hired by Ron Dennis after the impressive work he did with Genii-owned Lotus, under his watch the underfinanced team batted well above their remit.

He arrived at Woking in 2014 with Dennis firmly in charge, departing in July last year with Brown in charge with the organisation very different to the one he joined four years earlier.

In an interview with Japanese magazine Sokuho, Boullier revealed that the rot at McLaren started long before Brown and his cabal took over the helm, “From day one, at the first meeting with their engineers I realised how much Honda was unprepared for the challenge of F1.”

“Of course, I told Ron immediately that we would need at least three to four years of development to get back to the top, but the contracts had already been signed and Ron was sure he could relive the successes the team had in the past with Honda.”

“But the current power units are extremely sophisticated and only Mercedes was ready because they had years to develop the package.”

“And for that reason, I would say from a technical-historical point of view, the union between McLaren and Honda could not have happened at a more complicated and challenging time for the organisation.”

The decision to ditch Honda – no matter the circumstances – must be paining the shareholders at McLaren as they watch the Japanese manufacturer and Red Bull partner up so effectively that they scored a podium in their first race, with Max Verstappen’s third place at the season-opening Australian Grand Prix. Honda’s first podium since 2008.

Rewinding to last year, with no apparent end in sight to McLaren’s plight with the Japanese auto giant, one of Brown’s first major decisions, as chief of the second most successful team in F1 history, was to end the works Honda deal and fork out money for a supply of Renault customer engines.

These were days of great misguided expectations as, to the McLaren big-brass, Red Bull showed that with the Renault power races could be won. Obviously, Brown believed his team could do the same.

But things went from bad to worse, and only the immense efforts of veteran Fernando Alonso gave their season a little respectability. The expected podiums and occasional wins with Renault simply did not happen.

Boullier was around at the time, and recalled, “In April we realized that we had completely lost the plot with the [MCL33]. We found serious problems in data correlation and by the time we found the solutions it was too late.”

“In some respects, we were less competitive than we were in 2017, which was a difficult situation to deal with internally, particularly managing the morale within the team,” added Boullier who has landed a role with the French Grand Prix organisers.

• Like 1

OUTSIDE LINE: GASLY ALREADY UNDER BIG PRESSURE

PierreGaslyF1GrandPrixAustralia_m-pd-3Hyytx.jpg

Suffering two crashes in testing and a debut to forget in Melbourne, the pressure is already piling up for Pierre Gasly at Red Bull.

We may be only one race into the season, but suffice to say, it’s so far proved a difficult one for Pierre Gasly. The training wheels taken off with his move to Red Bull, the 23-year-old Frenchman has largely struggled to keep himself upright, and that’s certainly not the start to life at the pointy end of the grid that any driver wants, let alone one whose fate rests in the hands of Helmut Marko.

Spinning into the barriers on his first day in the car in Barcelona, then repeating the feat a week later, Gasly already had some serious amends to make before he ever set foot in Melbourne, and yet things only proceeded to get worse from there.

Admittedly the disastrous weekend wasn’t all his fault, with his Q1 elimination on Saturday entirely down to the vagaries of traffic and a pit wall that underestimated the level of track evolution while boxing him to save tyres. However, the same can’t be said for his disappointing performance on Sunday, and that is why his situation is already looking so precarious.

Starting 17th and finishing 11th, Gasly debut marked Red Bull’s first outside-top-ten finish since the 2016 Belgian GP. Already, that’s not a great, but then there’s the additional factor that the man who prevented him from scoring any points was none other than Toro Rosso’s Daniil Kvyat, and the intrigue raises considerably.

Stuck behind Kvyat for 57 of the race’s 58 laps, Gasly was bested by perhaps the one driver on the grid he truly needs to beat, and indeed in such a manner that makes it fair to question whether he’s the right man for the senior team job.

Even factoring in the hard-to-pass nature of the Albert Park street circuit, 57 laps is a long time to be stuck behind an inferior car, and that’s doubly so when both Max Verstappen and the man he replaced, Daniel Ricciardo, are known for their ability to make quick work of cars when even half an opportunity presents itself.

Behind by just 0.335s at the flag, it’s hard to argue Gasly didn’t have half-chances of his own, and while it would be unfair to expect him to already be on the level of a Verstappen or Ricciardo in terms of racecraft, it would still have been nice to see him display some similar ambition. Instead, the Frenchman was kept largely bottled-up by Kvyat, being seemingly content to bide his time for a better chance that would never come.

Perhaps in saying that, it’s reasonable to give more credit to Kvyat than to knock Gasly, and yet, the quirk here is that it hurts the latter’s standing all the same, as either way the Russian comes out looking like the better driver.

Of course, it’s not like Gasly will be gone before Bahrain, and short of putting it in the pool at Monaco he’ll get all 21 races this season, but make no mistake: races like last Sunday will stick in the memory of Helmut Marko.

It’s not often you get to make a direct comparison between Red Bull and Toro Rosso drivers, and for one of the former to come off so decisively second-best will count against him, especially when the latter has already proved to be viable replacement.

If Gasly is to make this senior team thing stick, this is one memory he’ll really need to banish, and the sooner, the better.

VILLENEUVE: KUBICA RETURN TO F1 SENDS OUT THE WRONG SIGNAL

RobertKubicaF1GrandPrixAbuDhabiPreviews2udILwxxxIWx.jpg

While Robert Kubica’s return to Formula 1 is the stuff of legend, hailed almost universally as one of the greatest comebacks in sport, Jacques Villeneuve is not convinced and suggests the feel-good story sends out the wrong message.

Kubica’s journey from his near-fatal rally accident in 2011 to a seat on the grid with Williams this year is well told, he overcame the trials and tribulations after his near-death experience to make the most unlikely return to the F1 grid.

But Villeneuve told Formule1.nl that he is not convinced, “I think it’s terrible, it’s not good for the sport. I already said that last year and I am not going to change my opinion.”

“Formula 1 should be the pinnacle of racing, it’s the premier class. This is not good for the sport if someone with a disability can participate. At least not in Formula 1, maybe in other classes.

“Robert’s return is not the right message because F1 must be tough, difficult to race and almost unattainable.”

Villeneuve, the 1997 F1 World Champion, is never shy to give his views no matter how politically incorrect, but at the same time he has admiration for Kubica’s gutsy story.

“Of course, it is a great achievement that he has returned after so many years, really unbelievable. If you have done something that you love and that you have taken away, you know what you are missing. Then you will work even harder to get it back,” reasoned Villeneuve.

Kubica’s return to the top flight has been blighted by the fact that he will toil at the wrong end of the grid for the foreseeable future with Williams, as the once mighty Grove outfit is a shadow of its former self and have failed to put out a decent car for their drivers.

In Melbourne, both Kubica and rookie teammate George Russell were woefully off the pace in the FW42 through no fault of their own and the reasons well-documented.

Stats show that in qualifying for the season opener in Australia, Kubica was last in Q1, four seconds off the pole-winning pace and 2.3 seconds shy of his teammate.

Kubica said of his qualy effort, “It wasn’t the best start of the season especially because I am last on the grid. I made a mistake on the last run when I had a good feeling and could drive the car better. I apologise for that, but that is how it is.”

“It has been a difficult situation, but I am back on the Formula One grid and I would like to thank everyone that has made it possible, as well as the team,” added the 34-year-old Pole.

In the race, Kubica finished last on track, three laps behind the leader in what was his 77th grand prix start. His best lap time in race conditions was 3.5 seconds adrift of the race fastest lap, and half a second slower than Russell in the sister car.

Polish petro-chem giant PKN Orlen are reportedly forking out $15-million to fund Kubica’s return with Williams.

Mercedes: Australia 1-2 doesn't change approach

jm1915ma324.jpg

Mercedes has stressed its mindset over its status has not changed in spite of its emphatic display at Formula 1’s season-opening Australian Grand Prix.

Mercedes expected to trail Ferrari in Melbourne, based on the data gathered during pre-season testing, but the reigning World Champions comfortably emerged on top.

Lewis Hamilton led every practice session and edged team-mate Valtteri Bottas to pole position, before the Finn turned the tables to dominate the Grand Prix, with Hamilton second.

Bottas also collected the new-for-2019 bonus point for fastest lap, giving Mercedes a maximum haul of 44 points, double the 22 amassed by nearest rival Ferrari.

But team boss Toto Wolff has emphasised that Mercedes does not regard itself as favourite as it prepares for the second round of the season in Bahrain this weekend.

“After the Barcelona test, we felt that we were the challengers,” said Wolff.

“Whatever the Melbourne result says, our mindset hasn't changed since then. One race doesn't determine the pecking order for the rest of the season.

“We need to extract every bit of performance from our package and keep on working hard to improve the car over the weekend to be competitive.

“The fight has only just begun: Ferrari will try everything they can to hit back and Melbourne showed that Red Bull will have something to say in the fight, too.

“We've seen the potential of Ferrari's package in Barcelona, so we expect them to come back strong in Bahrain, with Red Bull in the mix as well.”

Mercedes triumphed in Bahrain from 2014 through 2016, with its first win in the country famous for the titanic tussle between Hamilton and Nico Rosberg.

But for the last two years it has had to play second fiddle to Ferrari, with Sebastian Vettel taking victory in both 2017 and 2018, the latter from pole position.

Disappointed Renault accepts work needed to clear F1 midfield

jm1917ma496.jpg

Renault has accepted that it has work to do if it is to realise its ambition of clearing Formula 1’s midfield and close on the leading three teams.

Renault has steadily improved year-on-year since its return as a works team in 2016 and last season finished in fourth position in the Constructors’ Championship.

It targeted closing on the top three teams this year but failed to make it through to Q3 in Australia and finished behind Haas in the race, with Nico Hulkenberg lapped by victor Valtteri Bottas.

“In seasons gone by, we would have been satisfied with a seventh-place finish at the first race of the season, but this year we were a little disappointed,” said team boss Cyril Abiteboul.

“We feel our car is capable of fighting at the top end of the midfield, however, that wasn’t always displayed when it really counted in qualifying and during the race.

“We are determined to show more in Bahrain.

“We have to underline the step we’ve made on the engine side, and the second Grand Prix of 2019 is an opportunity to showcase that.

“We will bring some aero updates, as we will do at every race.

“We also need to target consistency over the course of the entire weekend, delivering a balanced and reliable car in all sessions to allow the drivers to extract respective maximum performance.

“Equally, we need to target operational excellence in all areas.

“Having both cars inside the points is the target and we want to show the qualities of our team.”

Renault technical chief Nick Chester added: “We tested some new parts, played around with different setups and learnt a decent amount [in Australia].

“It’s quite clear, though, we have some work to do to move away from the midfield, which is where we want to be.”

Haas expects F1 front-runners to increase gap to midfield

RG-2-282.jpg

Romain Grosjean believes Formula 1’s front-runners will be able to increase the gap between themselves and the midfield as the 2019 season develops.

Formula 1’s top three teams – Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull – have enjoyed a substantial pace advantage over the rest of the grid in recent seasons.

Only Force India’s Sergio Perez broke the hegemony of those teams by taking a podium finish in Azerbaijan, while at some events the lead midfield runner was over a lap behind the winner.

In Australia lead midfield runner Grosjean qualified within seven-tenths of Sebastian Vettel’s Ferrari and Max Verstappen’s Red Bull, which marked a reduction on 2018, when he was over a second away.

But Grosjean doubts that the midfield teams will be able to reduce the gap further.

“I think it’s the right battle for Formula 1,” said Grosjean on the midfield.

“It’s super exciting to look at the midfield, where the gap is very tight and you never know who’s going to end up on top.

“[But] I think we’re a bit further away from Red Bull than we were hoping.

“I’m afraid the gap could open during the year because of the resources they have. We’ll definitely try to give them as hard a time as we can.”

Haas boss Guenther Steiner echoed Grosjean’s comments on the nature of the midfield scrap.

“It’s great for Formula 1 to have a battle like this in the midfield,” said Steiner.

“It would be fantastic if this was at the front – if it could be for first, second and third. Nearly every race could have a different winner. The podium would be filled by more than just three teams.

“I think it’s very tight. We’re looking forward to the battle because it’s always good to go to the racetrack and have something to fight for.”

Sainz says McLaren has to avoid 2018 development "trap"

Sainz says McLaren has to avoid 2018 development

McLaren's 2019 Formula 1 chances depends on it avoiding the development "trap" it fell into during last year, says Carlos Sainz.
Last season McLaren made a promising start with five points finishes from the first five grands prix, and briefly held third in the constructors' championship.

It then stagnated, drifting back to a distant sixth in the standings and spending much of the year in a battle with Williams at the tail of the field.

The team began this year with a Q3 appearance courtesy of Lando Norris in Melbourne.

Asked by Motorsport.com if he felt the 2019 car had the potential to avoid repeating last year's slump, Sainz replied: "It will all depend on upgrades. If our upgrades work, then I'm convinced this team is going to move forward.

"So we need those upgrades early and to start developing the car to not fall into the same trap as last season.

"We know the direction to follow, we know the car at the moment has the pace to be in the mix: some races in Q3, some races not.

"But we have a good development programme and if we make it happen, we will succeed in that battle."

Sainz only qualified 18th in Australia, having been caught behind Robert Kubica's puncture-stricken Williams on his final lap in Q1.

An MGU-K problem then made Sainz the race's first retirement only nine laps into the grand prix, but by that time he was already up to 14th and battling with eventual points finishers Lance Stroll and Daniil Kvyat.

"It shows the car was able to get points at that track at least, so let's see how it adapts to other tracks like Bahrain or China," said Sainz.

"But the initial feeling was really good - attacking the Force India in front, being able to clear four cars in front, and I was riding in the mix."

Vettel expects six drivers to "have a say" in F1 title battle

Vettel expects six drivers to

Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel believes the six drivers employed by Formula 1's leading teams will all “have a word to say” in the way the 2019 title fight pans out.
The Italian outfit was favourite for the campaign after pre-season testing in Barcelona, but was beaten not only by the Mercedes duo, but by the Red Bull-Honda of Max Verstappen in Melbourne.

Verstappen's new teammate Pierre Gasly had been eliminated in the opening segment of qualifying – after a single-run strategy backfired - and couldn't recover into the points on Sunday.

Ferrari believes its muted Australia performance is not representative of the potential of its new SF90, and Vettel thus feels that he and teammate Charles Leclerc are in for a close season-long battle with both Mercedes cars and both Red Bulls.

“I think you have three big teams and all of these three teams have the potential to have a very, very strong year,” said Vettel.

“We are looking on ourselves first, and hopefully both of us will be ahead of everybody else, but I think we’re aware it will be very close.

“I think Pierre as well got a bit unlucky [in qualifying], I don’t think he was much off the whole weekend compared to Max. So his race was pretty much lost from the start.

“But I think all of these six drivers in the end will have a word to say, hopefully for as long as possible for all of us to be in the fight.”

Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton offered a similar take after Melbourne, expecting “a really, really good battle between the three [teams]”.

Hamilton had led a dominant Mercedes front-row lockout in Melbourne, before teammate Valtteri Bottas eased to victory in the race.

But the Silver Arrows have been traditionally strong at the Australian venue, and Hamilton believes the true competitive order out front will only become clear heading into the Spanish Grand Prix.

“I’ve been here a long, long time and I’ve never known after the first race,” Hamilton said. “So usually the first four races you get a bit of an idea where we all stand.

“It could be like this for four races, or it could be scattered. We’ve had years where we’ve had multiple different winners through the first races.

“So I don’t have a crystal ball, so I can't tell you. But I can assure you that we will be pushing onwards and upwards from here.”

Honda eyes first Red Bull win by summer

Honda eyes first Red Bull win by summer

Honda hopes to have its first victory with Red Bull by summer break as it bids to make use of its chance to win in Formula 1 again.
The Japanese manufacturer scored its first podium of the V6 turbo-hybrid era in the 2019 season-opening Australian Grand Prix, its first start with Red Bull.

That was the first top-three result since Honda rejoined the F1 grid in 2015, and it last celebrated a win in 2006.

Speaking to Motorsport.com during the Australian GP weekend, Honda F1 managing director Masashi Yamamoto said: "This is a very important year for us because we've started with two teams for the first time in the hybrid era.

"Now we have a situation that we can try to express how Honda tries to win.

"We hope to make it come true, maybe by around the summer. Hopefully, we wish to. We have now a chance to show our philosophy towards winning."

Max Verstappen's third place in Melbourne helped "relax" Honda early in its new relationship with Red Bull.

The partnership will likely view Monaco as its best chance of a first victory together, given Red Bull won the grand prix last year with Renault power.

Other opportunities for strong results include this weekend's race in Bahrain, where Honda powered Toro Rosso to fourth place in 2018, and the Hungarian GP – the final race before the break.

Honda has avoided setting expectations or specific targets, although Red Bull has indicated it wants to match or exceed its tally of four victories from 2018.

"We're not trying to make the expectation low," said Yamamoto. "But racing is the result, what matters is the result. We can see everything in the result.

"We have to pile up the technology and performance towards the race."

He added: "Our honest feeling is that we haven't reached the level of Ferrari and Mercedes as a PU.

"We have to go beyond [the current level]."

As well as targeting wins with Red Bull, Honda hopes it can help Toro Rosso establish itself at the front of the midfield.

Its fourth-place finish in Bahrain last year stood as the Red Bull junior team's best result of 2018, and it started the 2019 season with a point-paying 10th in Australia.

"We have a different aim between the two teams," said Yamamoto.

"In terms of Red Bull, they are a top team: good drivers, management and chassis. [So] we have to make a good engine as Honda.

"If we can do that, we think we can walk the path towards winning with Red Bull. That's what we have to do.

"In terms of Toro Rosso, we have established a relationship last year.

"We think we are on the way of improving. Something like a podium, or closer to those positions with Toro Rosso, we can show our progress.

"Each team we have a different direction or target."

MONTEZEMOLO: ALONSO NOT A TEAM PLAYER LIKE MICHAEL OR NIKI

FernandoAlonsoLucaCorderoDiMontezemolo1PpEolMe9Qlx.jpg

Nine years ago Fernando Alonso at Ferrari appeared to be a union made in Formula 1 heaven, even blasting off to a great start with a famous maiden win for the new partnership at the 2010 Bahrain Grand Prix.

Leading Ferrari during this period was charismatic Luca di Montezemolo who had offered the Spaniard refuge from a Renault team in disarray and with the disastrous 2007 McLaren episode still fresh in everyone’s memory.

At the time Alonso saw himself as a Ferrarista for life but, in the end, what promised so much did not deliver a title as the might of Red Bull at the time was insurmountable. History shows they came desperately close to nabbing the F1 title, but as they say: no cigar.

Prior to Alonso’s arrival at Maranello, Montezemolo had presided over Ferrari’s first golden era with Niki Lauda in the seventies, then two decades later he was instrumental in building the team that delivered the glorious Michael Schumacher along with Jean Todt, Ross Brawn, Rory Byrne et al.

Then, in 2007, Schumacher was replaced by Kimi Raikkonen who went on to take the team’s final drivers’ title and along with Felipe Massa helped them to their last constructors’ triumph in 2008. The team have not won a top-flight championship since then.

At the end of 2009, Raikkonen was paid a hefty sum by the Scuderia to depart F1 and in 2010 the Alonso era began at number four Via Abetone Inferiore.

Speaking on Beyond The Grid podcast, Montezemolo recalled the time, “He was Alonso, not Alonso-Ferrari. When he wins, he’s happy. When he doesn’t win, it’s the problem of the team, he’s unhappy.

“In other words, he’s less close to the team than Michael and Niki, particularly in the difficult moments. To be close to the team in the good moments is easy.

“In terms of performance, Fernando was very good. For me, Alonso is with Hamilton and Vettel and in the race, he’s very close to Michael. In the race, Alonso was and is a fantastic driver. He lost the championship [in 2010 and 2012] not for his mistakes.

“If he won one championship, today we are talking about something different. We are talking that Alonso, despite many years he didn’t have the best car, he was able to win the championship. Alonso is very strong,” insisted the former Ferrari president.

The final year – 2013 – at the Scuderia was packed with polemics, to the point that most at Maranello were happy to see Alonso leave the building and head off to McLaren.

But it might have been a totally different story had the Reds not messed up his title chances when they were all but in the bag.

BRAWN: F1 WILL HAVE CHEAPER, SIMPLER, LOUDER ENGINES BUT…

AnnualSatisfiedFowl-poster.jpg

The ‘Valhalla’ of cheaper and less sophisticated power units will not be reached as it appears Formula 1 powerbrokers have settled on a compromise according to latest statements made by Sporting Director Ross Brawn.

The current F1 hybrid era has been a costly exercise with Mercedes and Ferrari powering three teams apiece, with Honda and Renault each supplying two teams.

Despite the annual Audi/Porsche/VW rumours, no manufacturers are interested in investing the hundreds of millions it will take to develop such an engine package and then compete with teams that have used the technology for nearly a decade.

Brawn admitted in an interview with Motorsport Network, “In that case, I was perhaps a bit more ambitious in terms of the changes that could have been made, but when the arguments were presented they were well presented, the models were well presented, and the examples were given.”

“I think we will have cheaper, simpler, louder, it’s just a question of degree. There’s a very strong argument that we have four reasonably settled suppliers in F1. Whilst there are people looking at coming in, they weren’t as committed so, therefore, let’s consolidate what we have.”

“The MGU-H was a big thing. I think if a manufacturer is coming in or not coming in just because it had or hasn’t got an MGU-H it seems a bit fickle.”

“The engine is a tricky one, more so perhaps than the car you’re sensitive to outside suppliers, you’re sensitive to engine suppliers. We don’t want to lose a team, but if we lose a team then hopefully F1 is attractive enough to find replacements.

“If we lose an engine then anyone stepping in has a massive programme to step in and fill their place. And if we lose an engine it impacts two or three teams. I think it was correct to push hard to see where we can get to.

“There will be some changes that you’ll see – we’re not going to talk about them now – which will come out in the next few months which I think definitely are strongly in the right direction,” reasoned Brawn.

ALFA ROMEO CONFIRM SCHUMACHER AND ILOT TEST

20190317-Sunday-Australia2-001.jpg

Mick Schumacher and Callum Ilott to complete the 2019 rookie test days for Alfa Romeo Racing

Press release

Hinwil, 26th March 2019 – Mick Schumacher is set to complete the second day of testing for Alfa Romeo Racing in Bahrain. The German driver, who is a member of the Ferrari Driver Academy (FDA) and currently competing in the 2019 FIA Formula 2 Championship, has demonstrated his determination and talent over the course of the past years, steadily working his way up the ranks in various junior racing categories.

Alfa Romeo Racing is looking forward to welcoming Mick at the Bahrain International Circuit and accompanying him on his exciting journey to the pinnacle of motorsport.

The team will continue its collaboration with the FDA at the following test session in Barcelona, where the British Formula 2 driver and Academy member Callum Ilott will also complete a day of testing behind the wheel of the team’s 2019 contender, the Alfa Romeo Racing C38.

Frédéric Vasseur, Team Principal Alfa Romeo Racing and CEO Sauber Motorsport AG: “We are very pleased to announce that Mick Schumacher and Callum Ilott will each complete a rookie test day for Alfa Romeo Racing. It is in our team’s DNA to spot and nurture young talents. Mick and Callum are perfect examples of determined and skilled racers who deserve to be given the chance to take the next steps in their careers. Collaborating with two such promising drivers is great news for our team, and we look forward to working together.”

Mick Schumacher: “I am obviously more than excited and would like to thank Alfa Romeo Racing for giving me this opportunity. I am really looking forward to what I’m sure will be a great experience. But for the moment, I am consciously putting all thoughts of the test to one side, because I am also very much looking forward to competing in my first F2 race and would like to focus a hundred percent on the weekend to come.”

SCHUMACHER: I’M SURE IT WILL BE A GREAT EXPERIENCE

mick-schumacher.jpg

Mick Schumacher, son of seven-times Formula 1 world champion Michael, will test with Ferrari and Alfa Romeo in Bahrain next week, the Formula 1 teams announced on Tuesday.

The German, who makes his Formula 2 debut in Bahrain this weekend with the Prema team, will test Ferrari’s F90 car at the Sakhir circuit on April 2 after the grand prix there.

The 19-year-old, who won the European F3 title last year and is a member of Ferrari’s young driver academy, will also test Alfa Romeo’s new car on Wednesday.

“I am really looking forward to what I’m sure will be a great experience,” he said.

“But for the moment, I am consciously putting all thoughts of the test to one side, because I am also very much looking forward to competing in my first F2 race and would like to focus 100 percent on the weekend to come.”

Britain’s Callum Ilott, who is also in Formula Two this season and is another Ferrari academy member, will make his F1 test debut with Ferrari-powered Alfa in Barcelona in May after the Spanish Grand Prix.

Schumacher’s father, who has not been seen in public since suffering severe head injuries in a skiing accident in 2013, won five of his record seven Formula 1 titles with the Italian team between 2000-04 and holds the record of 91 wins.

Ferrari principal Mattia Binotto said the team’s current driver Charles Leclerc was proof of the worth of the academy as a high-level training programme for talented youngsters.

“Mick, who joined the FDA in January, and Callum, who has been with us since 2017, are definitely drivers on their way up,” he said.

“I believe that driving the SF90 in an official setting such as the tests in Bahrain and Barcelona can be very useful at this stage in their career.”

Ferrari Press Release:

Mick Schumacher will drive the Ferrari SF90 for the first time on the first day of the test, Tuesday 2 April, following the Bahrain Grand Prix.

The German, who is racing in Formula 2 this year with the Prema team and is a Ferrari Driver Academy member, will drive on both days, as after first driving the Ferrari he will jump into the cockpit of the Alfa Romeo Racing car for the Wednesday.

On the second day of testing at the Sakhir circuit, it will be the turn of Scuderia Ferrari Mission Winnow driver Sebastian Vettel to continue with testing work. With the race having taken place just a couple of days earlier, this will provide the engineers with a good reference point for their data.

It won’t be long until another FDA driver is seen at the wheel of a Formula 1 car. Callum Ilott, currently racing in Formula 2 with the Sauber Junior Team by Charouz Racing, will be driving the Alfa Romeo Racing car at the forthcoming Barcelona test, on 14 and 15 May.

Mattia Binotto, Team Principal: “We are firm believers in the value of the Ferrari Driver Academy, as a high-level training programme for talented youngsters and the decision to give Charles Leclerc a race seat with our team is proof of that.”

“We are therefore very pleased to be able to give Mick and Callum the opportunity to experience driving a Formula 1 car. Mick, who joined the FDA in January, and Callum, who has been with us since 2017, are definitely drivers on their way up and I believe that driving the SF90 in an official setting such as the tests in Bahrain and Barcelona can be very useful at this stage in their career.”

Mick Schumacher, FDA driver: “I am obviously more than excited and would like to thank Ferrari for giving me this opportunity. I am really looking forward to what I’m sure will be a great experience. But for the moment, I am consciously putting all thoughts of the test to one side, because I am also very much looking forward to competing in my first F2 race and would like to focus a hundred percent on the weekend to come”.

KVYAT: IT’S CLEAR WE CAN FIGHT WITH OTHERS

After qualifying 15th and behind his rookie teammate at the Australian Grand Prix, Daniil Kvyat redeemed himself with a strong race to claim a point on race day in Melbourne.

The Russian, making a return to the grid with Toro Rosso, was welcomed back into the Red Bull fold after being ditched a year and a bit earlier and in his first race back he justified their call-up.

A year on the sidelines as Ferrari simulator driver appears to have matured the Torpedo, who now looks forward to building from where he left off Down Under at this weekend’s Bahrain Grand Prix.

Previewing his weekend at Sakhir, Kvyat said, “The way things went in Australia meant it was a very good way to start the season. It was a real confidence boost for the team because the indications are that we are in the mix with everyone.”

“It puts us all in a positive frame of mind as we go to the next race in Bahrain. It’s clear we can fight with others, with the teams around us in the midfield, which is very promising. We have to keep working hard on developing our package and improving our understanding of the car.”

“I also have to work hard with my engineering crew, to ensure we extract everything out of the car in every session we have on track and we can see where that takes us in Bahrain.”

“In Australia, I was impressed with the way the team worked operationally with everyone, as the mechanics and engineers all played their part. It’s good to see this spirit in the team and we need to continue with this approach in the coming races.”

“I’ve not had any particularly great results in Bahrain in the past, but the track is interesting and nice to drive. It’s a very different circuit to Albert Park, it’s a real race track and therefore it will be a very good test for us to see how the car works there.”

“Bahrain is more similar to many other tracks on the calendar than Albert Park, so we should get a slightly clearer idea of where we are and how good our car is.”

“The temperatures will be higher than in Melbourne, so again it will be more representative of the tyre conditions we will encounter during the major part of the season,” added Kvyat.