FORMULA 1

Verdict: Why Raikkonen is exceeding expectations at Alfa Romeo

Kimi Raikkonen is enjoying a strong 2019 Formula 1 season with Alfa Romeo squad, previously known as Sauber, with which the 2007 world champion made his 2001 grand prix debut.
In this video, Edd Straw and Scott Mitchell join Glenn Freeman to assess Raikkonen’s switch back to his old team and explain why he is performing so well.

Raikkonen currently has 31 points in eighth place in the 2019 standings compared to team-mate Antonio Giovinazzi’s one point in 18th place, which reflects the 2007 world champion’s ability to lead a team trying to move up the grid.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have said it many times over the years, the FIA need to appoint stewards that are the same people for EVERY race. I have always felt that some stewards are biased toward "some" drivers (Of cour

F1 needs a Friday program including testing or the race tracks are going to lose a lot of ticket sales.  As a TV viewer, I find the Friday practice sessions quite enjoyable.   On par with the rest of

WILLIAMS CONFIRM SIROTKIN TO RACE AND KUBICA RESERVE Russian rookie Sergey Sirotkin will race for Williams this season after being chosen ahead of Polish rival Robert Kubica on Tuesday in wh

Honda chief says 2019 results will "encourage" F1 stay

Honda chief says 2019 results will "encourage" F1 stay

Honda believes it cannot do much more to secure its Formula 1 future as its programme chiefs await a decision from the company on whether to continue beyond 2020.
The Japanese manufacturer ended its win drought earlier this season in Austria, where Max Verstappen scored the first victory for Red Bull and Honda’s new-for-2019 partnership.

Verstappen won again in Germany and scored his first pole position in Hungary, as Red Bull-Honda cemented itself as Mercedes’ most consistent challenger heading into the summer break.

Honda is weighing up whether to continue in F1 after the end of next season, and its victory in Austria was well-timed as it preceded a key board meeting.

The company’s F1 managing director Masashi Yamamoto told Motorsport.com that in terms of the significance of the place and timing for Honda’s first win since returning to F1 in 2015, “maybe the only place it can equal is Suzuka”.

Yamamoto added that what Honda has achieved at this stage of the season is “quite in accordance with my plan, what I had hoped”.

“There is not much we could do more than this,” he said. “What we’ve kept saying is we wanted to exceed last year’s Red Bull result.

“We didn’t say we want to win five races but we want to exceed the points Red Bull scored last year and maybe five wins is possible.”

Honda needs three more wins and nine more podiums with Red Bull to beat the team’s 2018 record with Renault, but is on course to beat its points tally despite a performance disparity between the team’s 2019 drivers.

Pierre Gasly has struggled in his first year with the Red Bull senior team and will be replaced by Alex Albon from the Belgian Grand Prix, but Verstappen’s impressive campaign means Red Bull has 21 more points with Honda than it did at the same stage with Renault.

Verstappen has 181 points with Honda power compared to 105 points at the same point in 2018.

Even Daniel Ricciardo, who was Red Bull’s lead driver in the championship heading into the summer break, only had 118 points.

Yamamoto moved into a new F1-specific role for this season after previously being head of Honda’s motorsport division, in order to give the project dedicated focus as Honda prepared for a major opportunity with Red Bull.

His faith in Honda’s ongoing participation has been increased following the two victories, after triggering a strong public response in addition to being well-received in the company.

“I think it’s going to encourage us for continuation,” said Yamamoto. “Honda and generally in society [in Japan] are in a very good mood that Honda has won. I think it’s going to be very good for us.”

“It’s very difficult to clarify at this moment about the timing. It’s true we’re discussing it within the company. But we can’t really say when we can announce it, at the moment.”

Stella, Fry "key" to McLaren resurgence, say team chiefs

Stella, Fry "key" to McLaren resurgence, say team chiefs

McLaren Formula 1 team chiefs have credited Andrea Stella and Pat Fry for leading the outfit’s resurgence during its “interim period”.

Eric Boullier’s resignation as McLaren’s racing director in July of last year amid a torrid F1 campaign with the MCL33 kickstarted a restructuring of the Woking-based outfit.

The reshuffle, initiated by CEO Zak Brown, saw Stella installed as performance director and Fry brought in as engineering director on a short-term deal.

Speaking to Motorsport.com, Andreas Seidl and James Key – who have since joined as team principal and technical director respectively – said Stella and Fry’s guidance has played a big part in McLaren’s much-improved showing in 2019 so far.

“What is important to mention is that Andrea together with Pat played a key role in making these changes happen,” Seidl said when asked about the design process improvements reflected in the MCL34’s strong early form.

“One thing is to understand what are the issues and then the second thing is that you need people that lead that - and it was clear with the changes that Zak initiated last year, putting Andrea and Pat in charge in this interim period and in charge of the car, making sure the right convictions get transferred in this year's car, that [the 2019 car] was the result.

Pat Fry, Engineering Director, McLaren

“It is a team effort, but you need the leadership and it was done with Pat and Andrea, which was sensational and it made it a lot easier for us to get started.”

“I back up what Andreas is saying, I don’t think any of us can claim any credit for the resurgence of McLaren compared to last year,” added Key. “That was very much a team effort led by Pat and Andrea and a brave reset after season that they had, so full credit to the team.”

McLaren sits in a clear fourth place in the constructors standings in 2019, and already has 20 more points than it had picked up all throughout last year.

While Stella - formerly a long-time Fernando Alonso race engineer - remains in his current role, Fry is set to depart McLaren and is understood to be on gardening leave, with Williams regarded as a potential future destination.

Seidl had been given free rein by Brown to shape McLaren’s management team, and says he now has the organisation that is in line with his plans.

“Of course we needed time to get into it but I think with now also having my leadership team in position - which is James as technical director, then we promoted also internally Piers Thynne as operations director, plus having on the track side Andrea as the performance director and Paul James as the team manager, it was an important step.

“Now I have the leadership in place, now it is important for all of us to develop the vision of where we want to head to as an organisation.”

Ferrari: "Too much standardisation" in F1's 2021 plans

Ferrari: "Too much standardisation" in F1's 2021 plans

Ferrari is “not happy yet” with the proposed 2021 Formula 1 regulations and is pushing back against standardisation, according to team boss Mattia Binotto.
F1 owner Liberty has been keen to put an increased emphasis on standardisation in F1’s 2021 rule revamp, and the ‘21 car blueprint unveiled in July has included standard wheels and brake systems in addition to other aspects of the car being simplified.

The final 2021 tech ruleset, however, will not be signed off until October, meaning that the degree of standardisation could yet be changed.

Speaking to Motorsport.com ahead of the summer break, Binotto said Ferrari was sceptical about the proposed direction of the 2021 car design rules, and in particular did not see a point to the standardisation.

“I am not happy yet,” Binotto said. “I am not happy as Ferrari yet. I think since the very beginning we always said that we are against the standardisation, and I feel we are going too much in the direction of standardisation.

“Why are we against [it]? Because we believe that, first, the DNA of this sport is competition, and standardising somehow is against the spirit.

“Second, because, whatever you're doing standard doesn't mean that you are saving money, because you need to re-engineer your car, your components, towards the new component, and that has an impact as well on the economical [side]. So I'm not sure that the balance is positive.”

Ferrari SF90 2021-2019 car side comparison

Binotto said that adding more standard components would not serve much of a cost-cutting purpose in 2021 given the impending introduction of the budget cap.

“Sustainability is a key factor, and I think the budget cap we are all in favour, we have all subscribed already, and I think the financial regulation is a key point of the future as well, because it's stopping expenses, it's closing the gap between the small and the big teams - even if maybe the budget which has been agreed is very high for small teams, but at least you reduce the gap.

“And I think that, again, it's back on the standardisation. I don't think we need standard parts to save money, because we will anyway spend whatever is the cap. At least the top teams will spend whatever is the cap, so on the standard parts will not be affecting that respect.

“So, while I understand the reason of them, I think we need to be careful in evaluating the risk versus benefit, and not forgetting also the final objective.”

Binotto also admitted to his reservations about the aero revamp for 2021, which will see championship return to a ‘ground effect’ concept.

“We have always been very concerned by the new aero regulation, since the very first time, for two main reasons here again.

“First, we believe that starting from scratch, a new regulation, there may be a lot of unintended consequences, so the level of risk is very high. And the second, because we feel that aerodynamic should remain a performance differentiator.

“What we should avoid as F1 is - we should not transform the sport into a show, I think that still it has to remain a sport, the show by itself has short legs.

“Certainly we need to improve the spectacle of our sport, which is two different things [show and spectacle].

“So, by doing that, I think we need to really be careful on what we are deciding, we should avoid to overreact, I think we may have spectacle today, there are few things that need to be improved and which we are all in agreement, I think we should be focused on those.”

FIA: TEAMS WILL HAVE 2021 FORMULA 1 RULES IN OCTOBER

image_2_0.jpg

The FIA report that by teams will have a full set of technical and sporting regulations when Formula 1’s governing body publishes them in October.

This was revealed in a lengthy update on the state of play regarding the 2021 rules by FIA Head of Single Seater Technical Matters Nikolas Tombazis, Formula 1 Chief Technical Officer Pat Symonds.

wind tunnel testing of car models for 2021 has proved encouraging so far, with the results suggesting the next generation of F1 cars should be able to follow each other more closely. Now attention is turning to refining the rules – and more specifically breaking the rules…

A large part of the focus of the FIA and Formula 1 up to now has been on trying to reduce the effects the wake generated by a leading car has on a chasing car’s ability to follow, in order to provide closer racing and improved overtaking opportunities.

This, of course, runs counter to the aims of a Formula 1 team, where there only desire is to beat their rivals. And if part of the victory is obtained by disrupting the stability of a competitor then that’s a target to be chased.

It’s why FIA Head of Single Seater Technical Matters Nikolas Tombazis, Formula 1 Chief Technical Officer Pat Symonds and their respective teams have started trying to break their own rules.

“We are trying to see where the rules we have written are robust and where they might be a little weaker,” says Symonds. “I’m sure ultimately the wake characteristics of a fully developed 2021 car are not going to be quite as good as we have got running at the moment, but I think they will still be very good, and it will be massively better than a 2019 or a 2020 car. I’m absolutely certain of that.

“There are certain areas we know already where you can add performance but in doing so you damage the wake, so we have been quite prescriptive in those areas, because we’ve been trying to break the rules. There are other areas where we feel the design is robust so we’ve been less prescriptive in those areas.

“We’re trying to look for the loopholes, look for the unintended consequences. That’s actually a difficult thing to do when you have written the rules. That was my experience when we were working on the 2009 cars. Because I had been involved in writing the rules, I found it difficult to think of the loopholes as I knew what was intended. That was a lesson learned, we have taken it on-board.

“We’re trying to forget what the intention was and looking at what we have actually written down and see if we can put our team hats on.”

Tombazis adds: “We are trying to find things that make the car go faster. If a team makes their car faster but the wake doesn’t get any worse, we don’t have any problem with that. But if a team makes the car faster and also hurts the wake, then clearly they will do it if the rule permits it. We can’t ask them to be benevolent. But we want to know about it so we can see if there are any fundamental weaknesses in the rules, any loopholes.

The process also aims to identify areas where the FIA and Formula 1 see scope for performance gain by teams, ‘playgrounds’ where innovative thinking by teams can provide a competitive advantage without impacting on the goals set by the governing body and F1’s promoter for improved racing.

“We want to safeguard the wake performance but we don’t want all cars to look the same or to be exactly the same,” says Tombazis. “There are some areas of the car where performance can be found and not worsen the key parameters of the following car and we want to encourage those areas to be a bit freer.”

While the current iteration, as seen in the wind tunnel video, is very close to what we can expect the 2021 cars to look like, there will still be changes, particularly concerning the front wing.

“There’s a lot of work going on the front wing at the moment to improve some of its characteristics and also to make it look a bit less square,” says Tombazis.

As part of their attempts to break the rules, there will be two further wind tunnel sessions. The first will take place in October with a further test planned for December following the publication of the regulations, a timeline Tombazis says provides for adjustments to be made in line with the governance of the sport.

“As with any set of regulations it is a constantly evolving process,” says Tombazis. “In October we will publish a full set of technical and sporting regulations which will come into force in 2021, and will not fundamentally be changed. If we do find an area where we feel some updates are necessary to maintain our goals for better raceability, then this is something that we will be able to do working with the teams within certain time constraints.”

Finally, Symonds adds that beyond the tests aimed at the drafting of the 2021 regulations work will continue in order to monitor exploitation of the rule set.

“It’s not our intention to just stop at that point [December]. We will continue to investigate, continue to develop, continue to try and exploit the regulations, in the same way the teams will and from time to time next year, we’ll go back in the wind tunnel to check out results.”

MANUFACTURERS PROPOSE FORMULA 1 ENGINE FREEZE

F1-turbo-power-units.jpg

Formula 1 engine makers are proposing that development of the hybrid technology be frozen for performance and cost reasons.

According to Auto Motor und Sport, the idea is being championed by Renault, who are struggling to compete with the top three teams both in terms of performance and budget.

“With the budget cap and a fairer distribution of money, two of our demands are met,” boss Cyril Abiteboul said. “But that’s not enough for us.

“From 2021 onwards, engine development should also be frozen. By then, everyone will be at a similar level anyway.”

Mercedes’ Toto Wolff said he would not object to a freeze, “If we find on a calibrated test bench that the power and torque of the four engines are within one per cent, a development pause makes sense.”

Also supportive of the proposal is Helmut Marko, representing Red Bull-Honda, “An engine freeze must come. Otherwise the costs just run away. The last tenth is always the most expensive.

“We already saw in the V8 era how much money can be saved by a development freeze. With these monsters that we have now, the savings will be even greater,” Marko added.

WILL OCON BE RICCIARDO’S TEAMMATE AT RENAULT IN 2020?

ocon-ricciardo.jpg

Esteban Ocon’s much-expected return to the Formula 1 grid for 2020 may not yet be set in stone with a return to Renault, where he was a reserve in 2016, now a new possibility on his radar.

It is believed that Mercedes has opted to stick with Valtteri Bottas for another year, with boss Toto Wolff negotiating a deal to loan Frenchman Ocon to Renault instead.

There are several reasons for Mercedes to keep Finn Bottas, and not just because he has upped his game in 2019 compared to last year.

Wolff admitted he would consult with Lewis Hamilton about the identity of his teammate, and the Briton has stated numerous times that he is happy with Bottas.

“We make our choice solely in the interest of the team, but as Lewis has been with us for a long time, I did give our shortlist to him and asked for his opinion. He thinks exactly as we do: both Valtteri and Esteban deserve to be his teammate, ” Wolff told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

Another issue, Wolff admitted, is that if Mercedes showed the door to Bottas, it may complicate the second half of the 2019 world championship, “Yes, that’s something we take into consideration, but it’s not the main aspect.”

It is believed Mercedes’ 2020 plan will be announced at Spa Francorchamps, but Wolff does not want to confirm that, “We have already talked about this with the press too much, so I don’t want to set dates. Let’s say that we will decide within a few weeks.”

French broadcaster RMC Sport reports that Ocon’s move to Renault is not yet set in stone: “First, Renault would ideally like to ensure that Nico Hulkenberg secures another seat in Formula 1.

“According to our information, there are talks between Ocon and Renault, as was the case last year, but nothing has been signed. And if there will be a signature, it will not happen before the end of the week.”

22-year-old Ocon, however, is already dropping hints about the deal, reportedly changing a social media profile describing himself as Mercedes’ reserve to read “Formula 1 driver.”

And he told F1’s official website on Thursday: “I’m working hard on next year. When I come back, I’ll be a much more complete driver.”

• Like 1

LAUDA FAMILY TO SELL HIS SHAREHOLDING IN MERCEDES F1 TEAM

star-lauda.jpg

The family of Formula 1 legend Niki Lauda will sell the late triple World Champion’s shareholding he had in the Mercedes team.

In 2013, just before the German marque began to dominate Formula 1, Austrians Lauda and Toto Wolff bought into the team.

Lauda, who died in May as Mercedes’ team chairman, was thought to own 10 percent of the Brackley and Brixworth-based team.

When asked if Lauda’s family would now keep that shareholding, Wolff told La Gazzetta dello Sport: “No. We will make a decision about that after the summer break.”

Wolff was also asked if he misses Lauda’s input now that he is deciding whether to keep Valtteri Bottas for 2020 or install Esteban Ocon as Lewis Hamilton’s next teammate.

“Niki taking on Lewis in 2013 was a masterpiece, but these decisions involve many other people including the board of directors and my other collaborators,” Wolff said.

Another recent death, that of former Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne, has also raised questions about the once very close alliance between the Maranello marque and Mercedes.

“Sergio, of whom I always had a great respect, and Dieter Zetsche had established a unique relationship,” he said. “But we still agree with the Ferrari leadership and try to maintain a correct relationship.”

In the interview, Wolff admitted that Mercedes could introduce a new specification of its power unit immediately after the August break, “It’s a possibility, but we haven’t decided yet. We must also think about 2020.”

And he also ruled out eventually quitting Mercedes in order to lead another top team, for instance, Ferrari.

“No, no,” he said. “I’m not the typical team principal who can manage different teams. I am a shareholder in this team and have a splendid relationship with Daimler’s management.”

Wolff also revealed that he considered signing up Mick Schumacher to Mercedes’ driver programme. Michael Schumacher’s son is a member of the Ferrari development academy.

“We thought about it, but we are already struggling to find seats for George Russell and Esteban Ocon,” he said.

“But Mick is a great guy who developed so much in F3 and now in F2, and I am sure that when the time comes, he will also do well in Formula 1.”

Finally, Wolff is leaving the door at Mercedes open for top drivers Sebastian Vettel and Max Verstappen for 2021, “After 2020, everything is open.”

• Like 1

VAN DER GARDE: KUBICA HAD THE RIGHT TO GIVE IT A GO

WilliamsF1_7285_HiRes.jpg

Former Formula 1 driver Giedo van der Garde has joined the camp that believes Robert Kubica’s future on the grid is unlikely after a disappointing comeback season but another F1 driver believes the Pole is the guy who wins every race day.

After a long absence from Formula 1 following his 2011 rallying crash, the now 34-year-old Kubica returned to the sport this year with Williams.

Some are hailing Kubica’s renewed presence in F1 with his permanent arm injury as a victory in itself.

“For me, Robert Kubica is the man of the race at every grand prix,” Dutch Grand Prix boss Jan Lammers told the Dutch site racingnews365.

But former Caterham driver van der Garde says the performance aspect cannot be overlooked, “He is being beaten by his teammate in the same car. So you can only conclude that he is not doing well.

“You can see that he is struggling with his arm and his hand, and besides that, a lack of racing rhythm in the sport has also hurt him. Kubica had the right to give it a go, but you have to say that right now it doesn’t look good,” the 34-year-old added.

George Russell reckons secure F1 future has aided 2019 focus

Williams F1 driver George Russell

George Russell believes knowing his place on the 2020 Formula 1 grid is assured has allowed him to place a greater focus on improving himself and Williams’ plight.

Long-term Mercedes protégé Russell stepped up to Formula 1 this season off the back of successive titles in feeder categories GP3 and Formula 2.

Russell did so on a multi-year deal with Williams, meaning he will continue to race for the team in 2020, unless he is recalled by Mercedes, a situation which is deemed highly unlikely.  

“I think what is really great is that I know one way or another, my future is secure, and I can just purely focus on the job at hand,” said Russell.

“I know previous drivers and their previous experiences have been contract negotiating during race weekends, just before qualifying, talking about contracts, and what have you.

“In Mercedes, I’ve got a great management company who… their job is to make my life as easy as possible and to give me the chance just to focus on the job. That’s good.”

Mercedes is deliberating on whether to retain Valtteri Bottas or promote reserve driver and ex-Manor/Force India racer Esteban Ocon to partner Lewis Hamilton in 2020.

Russell, though, has asserted that he would feel ready if such an opportunity did present itself as early as next year.

“[Daniil] Kvyat beat [Daniel] Ricciardo in his first year at Red Bull,” he said. “[Max] Verstappen won in his first race with Red Bull. Charles [Leclerc] is giving [Sebastian] Vettel a run for his money in his first year.

“I obviously really and truly believe in myself. If I ever were to get that opportunity, it would be stupid to think I could go in there and beat Lewis at the first race, that’s just… In my opinion he’s the best driver on the grid.

“I feel like the potential is there. You always learn with every single race, every single year with the experience.

“Like I said, if the opportunity were to come, I’d feel absolutely confident I could take it with both hands, and quickly learn as much as possible and be there ready to really deliver after a couple of races.”

Not over-reacting key to 2019 F1 form - Carlos Sainz Jr.

McLaren's Carlos Sainz Jr.

Carlos Sainz Jr. believes not over-reacting to a difficult run of results in the early grands prix of 2019 has been key to his rise up Formula 1’s midfield pecking order.

Sainz Jr. failed to finish after his McLaren MCL34 was stranded by an MGU-K failure in Australia, while early clashes put paid to his races in Bahrain and China.

It left Sainz Jr. without a point from the opening trio of events but since then he has failed to reach the top 10 just once, and has vaulted up the standings.

Successive fifth-place finishes prior to the summer break cemented Sainz Jr.’s status as ‘best of the rest’ and he holds P7 overall, 27 points clear of next opponent Kimi Raikkonen, and just five adrift of ex-Red Bull racer Pierre Gasly.

“Well given how badly it started, the first few races, and how unlucky I was during those two or three races, to be where I am at the moment is very positive,” said Sainz Jr.

“The key there was to not over-react to the first few races, I think just keep doing what I was doing and as soon as the luck turned around a bit the results started coming.

“Since there honestly, since Baku, it’s been a very strong season, so I can’t complain.”

Sainz Jr. also asserted that his failure to score points early on was down to misfortune as opposed to needing to get up to speed in his new surroundings at McLaren.

“Honestly it took me less time to adapt to McLaren than it took me to adapt to Renault,” he said.

“In Australia FP1, FP2, FP3 I was really fast, in Bahrain I was really fast in qualifying, I was fighting Max [Verstappen] for a top five place.

“I was there during those three races but somehow the result never clicked, then as soon as the result arrived in Baku it started going smoother.”

OCON TO REPLACE HULKENBERG AT RENAULT FOR 2020

ocon-to-renault.jpg

Auto Hebdo are running the above cover story for their latest magazine edition with Esteban Ocon dressed in a Renault race suit with the title: Marriage of Reason – confirming the Frenchman’s return to the Formula 1 grid in 2020.

The report, in France’s leading motoring magazine, confirmed that the deal was done for the Mercedes reserve driver to suit up for the French team next year alongside Daniel Ricciardo, leaving Nico Hulkenberg without a seat.

The cover headline confirms: “The Frenchman makes a return to F1 in 2020 in place of Nico Hulkenberg.”

Jean-Michel Denous reports that “Ocon arrives at Enstone after Toto Wolff and Abtbeoul Cyril found common ground to strike a deal.”

Something that eluded them last year when a similar scenario played out but that time they were usurped by the Daniel Ricciardo scoop by the French team.

The report adds: “There will be no announcement until the Mercedes officially confirms their drivers for next season [Hamilton and Bottas] and as long as Nico Hulkenberg’s future hangs in the Balance, but we can already take for granted the arrival of Esteban Ocon at Renault in 2020 on a two-year deal.”

When approached for comment Renault only confirmed an interest in Ocon, but did not reveal if the French team would have a French driver for the first time since 2009.

The Ocon factor was key to the Silly Season puzzle. This now also confirms that Mercedes have opted to retain the successful partnership between Valtteri Bottas and Lewis Hamilton.

An announcement confirming the extension to Bottas’ contract is expected ahead of this weekend’s Belgian Grand Prix, while the revelations by Auto Hebdo – sourced from deep within Boulogne-Billancourt hallways – will no doubt trigger sound bites from relevant figures before they are hounded by the media mob at Spa-Francorchamps this weekend.

With the Ocon question settled, Hulkenberg is the obvious loser in the deal. His best option of a decent ride next year would be with Haas where Romain Grosjean is on shaky ground as is Kevin Magnussen, albeit to a lesser extent.

Williams might have a berth too should the German become desperate to stay in F1, after all it was the team that handed him his debut at the 2010 Bahrain Grand Prix.

Ocon, on the other hand, resumes his career where he left off with 50 Grand Prix starts. He will be looking to add to his tally of 136 points he has on his CV since he made his first F1 start at the 2016 Belgian Grand Prix.

KVYAT: IT IS IMPORTANT TO ACCEPT ALBON DECISION WITH RESPECT

1557420348.jpg

No stranger to red Bull bullying, Daniil Kvyat says he “respectfully” accepts the team’s decision to overlook him for the second race seat alongside Max Verstappen, instead opting for his rookie teammate Alex Albon.

The Russian has successfully resurrected his career after being dropped first from Red Bull and then Toro Rosso at the end of 2017.

He returned to the podium recently at Hockenheim, which was Toro Rosso’s first in over a decade. But now Red Bull has decided to promote Albon to replace the struggling Pierre Gasly.

“I found out everything on the same day,” Kvyat told Russia’s Championat during a team event in St Petersburg. “I had a phone call from Dr Marko. It is important to accept such decisions with respect.

“I think they just want to see how Albon performs in a car that is able to win with a teammate like Verstappen. I’ve already been at Red Bull and I think that played a role in the decision. So far it’s been one short conversation.”

Knowing the way Helmut Marko and Red Bull do business, Kvyat says he is not over-reading the situation, “Everything is fine with my results. And everything that will happen after 2019 is still unclear.

“I think we need to wait another two or three weeks, and then it will become clearer,” Kvyat added, referring to what his future looks like for 2020.

Speaking to Sportbox, Kvyat agrees that Albon has been impressive. Indeed, in a recent interview, he said the Thai driver is arguably a tougher teammate even than Daniel Ricciardo had been.

“I didn’t say someone was better than someone else,” he clarified. “It is you drawing those conclusions. But Alex was fast right away.

“Many other drivers need time to adapt, but not him. There is still a lot of room for growth and how he uses that potential depends on the driver himself.”

And so he also told the Russian publication Sport-Express that was never presumptuous about getting the call to replace Gasly, “I did not expect anything. I am focused on my own work.

“Both Red Bull and I are pleased with the season and we will continue in the same spirit, not focusing on decisions that are not mine to take.”

FLASHBACK: GROSJEAN UNLEASHES MAYHEM AT SPA

romain-grosjean-and-fernando-alonso-crash-at-the-start-of-the-2012-belgian-f1-grand-prix.jpg

The above image is forever etched in the minds of Formula 1 fans, the Lotus of Romain Grosjean getting airborne when he speared over the Ferrari of Fernando Alonso as the field roared into Turn 1 at the start of the 2012 Belgian Grand Prix.

By then, the erratic Frenchman had already been involved in seven first-lap incidents in the 12 races of the season. But that day at Spa-Francorchamps he took out-of-control to an all-new level.

That Sunday the sport was lucky. Alonso was fortunate to not be struck by a wayward bit of Grosjean’s car as it carved a path over the Ferrari. Both cars were seriously wrecked.

Also beyond repair (for the race) during the incident was Lewis Hamilton’s Mercedes and the Sauber of Sergio Perez. Kamui Kobayashi’s Sauber also suffered damage but he managed to continue.

Grosjean was handed a €50,000 fine and given a one-race ban for his causing the incident by the FIA.

They reported in their findings: “The stewards regard this incident as an extremely serious breach of the regulations which had the potential to cause injury to others. It eliminated leading championship contenders from the race.”

Grosjean said immediately after the incident, “I misjudged the gap to Lewis. I thought I was in front of him. It was a small mistake, but a big incident. I’m very sorry and I’m just glad nobody is hurt. That’s the main thing.”

The Frenchman’s boss at the time, Eric Boullier said: “This is a severe penalty, but it’s part of his learning curve. Part of the problem is that he wants to do well. He is somebody who is a perfectionist. He needs to understand he will deliver more if he doesn’t put too much pressure on himself at the start of the race.”

Hamilton simply said: “I really don’t want to talk about the start. People can see what happened.”

Alonso counted himself lucky to escape with only some muscular back pain, “You can have an injury in your hand or even in your head because everything was so close.

“I think we broke everything on top of the car, so it was lucky in that aspect. I did not know what happened until I saw the TV. It was difficult to imagine how the hit could be so big.”

“I am not angry. No-one does this on purpose. They were fighting, two aggressive drivers on the start – Lewis and Romain – and this time it was us in the wrong place and the wrong moment.

And added, “But it’s also true that in 12 races, Romain had seven crashes at the start, so…”

Seven years down the road and the song remains the same for Grosjean, despite the 155 F1 races he has contested he remains his own worst enemy, never able to shake the “The First-Lap-Nutcase” nickname given him by one-time victim Mark Webber.

The 33-year-old, now a Haas driver, remains accident prone to the point that many in the paddock predict that his presence on the grid next year is increasingly unlikely.

5 Reasons We Love... The Belgian Grand Prix

image.jpg

After three weekends in a row without a Formula 1 race, the wait is almost over as we prepare to get back to action at the Belgian Grand Prix. Here's why we love going racing at Spa-Francorchamps…

1.    It’s an amazing circuit
When it comes to asking anyone about their favourite F1 circuit, whether they’re a fan, a driver or a team member, Spa-Francorchamps is a name that will regularly crop up. The longest track on the calendar is also one of the greatest, and provides an all-round test of an F1 car.

Iconic corners such as Eau Rouge/Raidillon and Pouhon are spectacular, with the former seeing the cars descend rapidly from La Source – the first corner – before climbing steeply uphill and over a blind crest.

Not only is it a real challenge, it’s a venue that can also provide plenty of overtaking, with drivers able to slipstream from the top of the hill all the way along the Kemmel Straight until the Les Combes chicane, or similarly follow closely through Blanchimont for a chance to pass under braking for the Bus Stop chicane at the end of the lap.

F1 cars being pushed to their absolute limits around a beautiful track that winds among the trees of the Ardennes Forest - it really is a stunning sight.

image.jpg

2. The driver can make a difference
And the track is certainly a test of the driver as well as of the car. Part of the challenge comes from the fact that there’s more than one way to go in terms of set-up when racing at Spa, with the track featuring three distinct sectors.

While the first sector and the final sector place an emphasis on straight-line speed, the middle sector really demands high downforce for cornering performance. If you opt for more downforce, then a driver has to make up for the time lost on the straights with speed through the corners, while a lower downforce set-up will gain time in a straight line but result in a tough car to handle through the middle sector.

Those trade-offs can also have an influence on the racing, too, with the lower downforce approach making you tougher to overtake compared to the higher drag one.

image.jpg

3. The weather mixes things up
One other challenge often comes from the weather, which can change so quickly at Spa-Francorchamps. Located in the Ardennes Forest, it’s a venue that can see high summer temperatures, but cold conditions and rain are also often a factor.

Aside from the testing conditions that rain alone usually provides, the length of the track also means it’s not uncommon for it to be raining on one part of the circuit but dry in another, making it extremely difficult to work out which tyre to be on and keep the car on track.

Some of F1’s most dramatic races have taken place at Spa courtesy of changeable weather, with Felipe Massa inheriting victory in 2008 after Lewis Hamilton and Kimi Raikkonen scrapped for the lead as rain fell in the closing laps, while a wet start in 1998 saw one of the most expensive crashes in F1 history as the majority of the grid were caught in an incident on the run down from La Source.

4. The fans make a great atmosphere
Just two European rounds remain before we return to flyaway races, and those rounds are set to take place at two venues where the fans create a special atmosphere.

While Italy sees a partisan crowd, in Belgium there is a mix of nationalities and supporters, with many F1 fans eager to visit the iconic circuit. The track’s location makes it a relatively easy venue to access from Britain, France and Germany, but those that seem to make their presence felt the most are the Dutch.

Since the arrival of Max Verstappen in Formula 1, Spa has been one of the races that thousands of Dutch fans – usually wearing orange – head to. Verstappen even has a Belgian mother, and with Stoffel Vandoorne no longer racing in F1, will be the closest thing to a home driver.

As the track is a fair drive from the nearest major city, many fans choose to camp for the weekend, adding to the atmosphere as they are based at the circuit throughout. Even if it does mean they have to brave the aforementioned weather…

image.jpg

5. Racing is back
The mandatory two-week factory shutdown that all the teams have to adhere to during August means a total of four weeks between races. But Belgium will kick off a busy run of nine rounds in 13 weeks towards the end of the season.

Drivers and teams have been able to take some time off in the middle of the season, but now that they’ve recharged their batteries, Spa means a return to action and a more intense focus on championship positions.

And if you weren’t impatient enough having to wait for racing to return, the four races before the break will have really whet the appetite after thrilling battles in Austria, Britain, Germany and Hungary resulted in Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton taking two wins apiece. Will it be one of those two who triumphs at Spa, or will Ferrari finally break their duck this season at a track that’s expected to suit the strengths of the SF90?

Once the summer break is out of the way, the driver market also tends to heat up, with teams trying to finalise their line-ups for the following season. And speaking of future drivers, as well as F1, Formula 2 and Formula 3 resume their seasons at Spa, where the next generation will be trying to prove themselves in front of the F1 paddock once again.

SPANISH GRAND PRIX REMAINS ON F1 CALENDAR IN 2020

Barcelona Aerial view photo

The Spanish Grand Prix will remain on the Formula 1 calendar in 2020, the sport’s commercial rights holders and race organisers confirmed on Tuesday, with the season set to expand to a record 22 races next year.

The Spanish race will continue to be held at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, on the outskirts of the city, for the 30th straight year.

“The decision to continue to stage a round of the pinnacle of motorsport in Spain… is part of our strategy of maintaining Formula One’s European roots, while also currently expanding the championship into new territories,” the sport’s chief executive Chase Carey said in a statement.

“The promoter’s willingness to be part of Formula One going into 2020 is proof of the sport’s ability to act as a catalyst for regions to hold world class events and also to have a positive impact on the area’s economy.”

The contract for the Spanish race ran out after this year’s event in May won by world champion Lewis Hamilton for Mercedes.

That race was attended by 160,428 fans, according to a statement from race organisers.

Hosting the event generates 163 million euros (£148 million) of economic benefit, they added.

Quim Torra, President of the Government of Catalonia, said: “The Formula One Grand Prix… is an important tool to stimulate the economic activity in the country in terms of tourism, as well as in the automobile and entertainment industry.

“Moreover, it gives us the opportunity to show the world the way Catalans are, how we work and what our country is like.”

Spain’s confirmation, which follows Mexico signing a fresh three-year deal earlier this month, paves the way for Formula One to expand beyond its current 21 races.

Germany is set to drop off the current 21-race schedule but a new race in Vietnam and a return to the Netherlands have already been announced.

Italy, home race for the sport’s most popular team Ferrari, has yet to sign a contract extension but local organisers and authorities have given the race the go-ahead.

Formula 1 teams have already agreed to an expansion of the calendar to 22 races.

MCLAREN: WE WANT TO CONSOLIDATE OUR CURRENT POSITION

GermanGP2019_unbranded_1.jpg

Spa-Francorchamps is one of the most revered and historic racetracks in the world. It featured on the inaugural Formula 1 calendar in 1950 and it was the scene of McLaren’s first World Championship F1 victory in 1968.

The current 7.004km/4.352-mile track layout has been in use since 1979, after safety concerns forced the closure of the original 14.863km/9.236-mile circuit. The track is still the longest on the 2019 F1 calendar – more than 1km/0.6 miles longer than any other venue – and it’s one of the fastest, with an average speed in excess of 230km/h/143mph.

Carlos Sainz: “It’s been good to take a break over the summer and to see family and friends after a busy first half of the year. Everyone in the team deserved some time off. With batteries recharged, it’s time to go back racing! The ambition is to keep up the good results and fight for the highest spot possible in both Championships. There are still many races to come this season and I’m sure we’ll enjoy some good battles in the midfield.”

“Belgium is an incredible track and one of my favourites on the F1 calendar. I enjoy everything about this weekend. The unique layout of the track, Eau Rouge, Radillion, the atmosphere with the fans…it just makes the weekend one of the most special of the year and we are ready for it!”

Lando Norris: “I’m really excited to get back in the car again. It was nice to take some time out and recharge, but I’m ready to go again. I’ll be working flat-out for the rest of the season, getting prepared for the races ahead with my engineers and making sure I’m on top of the fly-aways to come at tracks that I’ve never raced on.

“I’ve driven at Spa quite a few times though, including in FP1 last year. I also made it to the podium in F2 last year as well. I’ll be ready to hit the ground running and start pushing from my first lap. It’s an awesome track, definitely one of my favourites, and I can’t wait to go racing there again this year.”

Andreas Seidl, Team Principal: “The summer break has been a good opportunity for the team to relax and spend time with family and friends, but now we’re focussed and ready to go racing again. We now look to keep our momentum going into the second half of the season. As always, we must focus on ensuring our race operations are as good as they can be, that includes strategy, pit-stops and reliability.

“The midfield battle will continue to be tight until the end of the season, so it’s crucial that we keep giving our drivers the best chance at scoring points each weekend. We want to consolidate our current position and maintain our positive trend. Much of the midfield battle will be decided back at the factory, as well as on the track, and Carlos and Lando have done a fantastic job so far. We now look to keep moving forward together as a team. This fight will continue right up to the end of the season.”

WOLFF: DURING THE BREAK PART OF THE TEAM WAS PUSHING FLAT OUT

Team-mercedes-garage-171007-Ge-1050pits.jpg

There appears to be no rest Formula 1, the summer ‘break’ is a misnomer for some according to Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff who revealed that while some at the factory have been toiling hard all along.

In his preview of the forthcoming Belgian Grand Prix, Wolff said, “It’s great to come back from the summer break knowing that part of the team was still pushing flat out and we are grateful to our colleagues who kept the ball rolling while we were out of office.

“Our team members in Brixworth worked straight through the F1 summer break to improve the performance and reliability of our Power Unit; in Brackley, we used the relatively quiet days to do some work on our factory.

“Summer shutdown was a welcome break after some very busy weeks in July and early August, but now we’re excited to go racing again. While the majority of our colleagues in Brackley had the chance to recharge their batteries for the second half of the season, other team members were carrying the baton over the past weeks.

While most acknowledge both championships are virtually done and dusted, only a major slump by the World Champions coupled to a massive resurgence by one of their rivals for Lewis Hamilton to be stopped from nabbing the championship for a six time and the Silver Arrows making it a dozen constrcutors; titles in six years.

Wolff was typically wary of a surprise in the second half, “We’re leading in both championships, but it doesn’t feel that way. In the last few years, we saw teams perform very strongly after the summer shutdown, so we know we need to keep pushing.

“In that respect, we’re approaching the start to the second half of 2019 more like the start to a completely new season – once again we need to make sure that we leave no room for error and keep raising the bar.

“We’re very excited for the upcoming months with historic races like Belgium and Italy followed by the Singapore night race and many other fantastic events. The next stop takes us to Spa, one of the most iconic circuits on the calendar.

“Finding the right set-up is tricky because the track has a challenging mix of long straights, a wide range of corner speeds and also considerable elevation changes.

“The weather can also be somewhat unpredictable in the Ardennes which can make the sessions very interesting. We’re looking forward to the fight,” added the Mercedes team principal.

• Like 1

TORO ROSSO: WELCOME BACK PIERRE!

gasly-toro-rosso-001.jpg

Toro Rosso have welcomed back Pierre Gasly, the Red Bull driver they groomed last year for the senior team but 12 races into his first season he did not deliver and was demoted after the Hungarian Grand Prix, with Alex Albon promoted in his place.

Gasly did a solid job with Toro Rosso which earned him the nod to partner Max Verstappen at Red Bull. His failings have been well documented and now, nine months since he stepped out of a Toro Rosso in Abu Dhabi, the Faenza based outfit welcome back another prodigal son.

They wrote on their website: “Everyone at Toro Rosso looks forward to welcoming back Pierre and supporting him during the next F1 races.”

Meanwhile, the team also posted a Tweet of Gasly during an STR14 seat fitting. He will now share a pit garage with Daniil Kvyat, the Russian himself no stranger to an in-season demotion.

Gasly will compete in his 39th Grand Prix when he lines up on the grid in Belgium on Sunday, his 27th F1 race in Toro Rosso colours.

LECLERC: I CAN LEARN A LOT FROM VETTEL BUT I AM HERE TO BEAT HIM

SebastianVettelCharlesLeclercF1GrandezVXcKxvh_rx.jpg

Charles Leclerc is no doubt Ferrari’s emerging star but his place in the team is as a number two and there to support Sebastian Vettel in this year’s campaign.

Ferrari boss Mattia Binotto made this clear to the 21-year-old who was slotted into the world’s most famous team alongside a four-time F1 World Champion ten years his senior. the hierarchy was there by default.

But Leclerc has been as quick and on many occasions faster than Vettel which has provided the team, prone to inexplicable strategy decisions, with a dilemma of sorts as they grapple with the driver hierarchy.

In terms of team orders, he has generally obeyed with accompanying lip-drop of reluctance and even went as far as disobeying during the Bahrain Grand Prix.

In an interview with BBC, Leclerc had been told by Binotto that in “50-50” situations which he admitted did not sit well but accepted, “It’s part of it, so you need to get used to it and understand it, being clever when you accept them and when you don’t, and for now it has worked pretty well.”

In Bahrain, with the fastest car on the night and a first F1 victory beckoning, Leclerc defied the Red pitwall and took matters into his own hands

He recalled, “There were a few races where it was reasonable and then others like in Bahrain when I thought it was better not to respect them because in the car I felt I had more information than they had on the pit wall. That’s how I felt it.

“I felt like I had a significant pace advantage, I was coming quite quickly and I felt it reasonable to overtake. In the end, I understand they are trying to do the best job for the team and I completely understand.

“It can be very frustrating from the car sometimes but it is all about staying calm and then the mental work I have done since the beginning of my career helps.

“I’m still very early in my racing career and I am pretty sure there is a lot more I can learn and a lot more things I can do better. I will focus on these things and hopefully, there will be even more turning points in the future.”

The fact that he is paired with a man that has 52 Grand Prix victories serves to inspire Leclerc, “It was always going to be a very interesting challenge for me.

“I am at the beginning of my career. He is a very experienced driver and to have him by my side is very important because I can definitely grow a lot and learn a lot things from him, which I did from the beginning of the season.

“But it is also a great challenge for me to try to beat him, and that’s what I am here for. I always want to be the fastest on track and I always try to give absolutely everything to be in front,” concluded Leclerc.

Heading to the Belgian Grand Prix, Round 13 of the 2019 F1 World Championship, Leclerc lies fifth in the championship on 132 points, with Vettel on 156 and championship leader Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) on 250. Nine rounds remain.

RACING POINT: WE CAN BE MUCH STRONGER IN THIS SECOND HALF

56I1257.jpg

Racing Point the Belgian Grand Prix weekend, Round 13 of the 2019 Formula 1 World Championship, at Spa-Francorchamps.

Lance Stroll: “I’m feeling ready to get back to racing after the holidays. It’s been a long time since Budapest and I’m really looking forward to the second half of the season. I think we can be stronger in the coming races and there are more new parts coming through. We definitely won’t stop pushing because there are nine races to go and lots of opportunities to score good points.

“Spa has never been my absolute favourite circuit – which is quite unusual because I know most drivers love racing there. It’s obviously a legendary track with some special corners and it’s very high-speed. Eau Rouge is the corner everybody talks about, but it’s a flat-out corner these days so you just need to be very precise to carry as much speed through it as possible. Getting a clean exit out of turn one is also really important because you’re on full throttle all the way up the hill to turn five.

“The famous Spa weather also adds some drama because you know there’s always a big chance of rain at some point over the race weekend. The lap is really long too so even if it’s wet in one part of the lap, it can be dry at the far end of the track.

“It’s another home race for me because my mother is from Belgium so in that sense it’s a bit more special for me. I’d love to kick off the second part of the year with a strong result.”

Sergio Perez: “I definitely enjoyed my summer holiday. I went home to Mexico and spent time with my family – relaxing near the beach and having some lazy days. The racing season is so busy and it’s important to take time out to catch your breath and recharge the batteries. I’m feeling in good shape as we get back to business.

“I always say that Spa is the perfect place to restart the season because it’s such a special track. It’s one of the best races of the year and I love the high-speed corners such as Pouhon. It’s a long lap, too, so when you hook everything up it’s very satisfying.

“Spa usually produces good racing, as well. The first sector and the approach to Les Combes offer good opportunities to overtake. I still remember the first lap last year when we were fighting for the lead. It was such a special feeling to get a good result. I hope we can do something similar this year.

“The key to being quick is to find the right trade-off between top speed and downforce. You want to be quick through the corners without losing too much top speed down the straights. We are on full throttle for about 70% of the lap so you don’t want too much drag.”

Otmar Szafnauer, Team Principal: “We come back from the summer break determined to build on the foundations we have laid in recent months. The new aero philosophy will continue to evolve over the next few races and we believe it’s taking us in a better direction. I think we can be much stronger in this second half of the season and challenge for points at all the upcoming races.”

HAAS: WE GO TO SPA WITH THE UPGRADED CAR FOR BOTH DRIVERS

magnussen-grosjean-1.jpg

In the last three races of the FIA Formula 1 World Championship, Rich Energy Haas F1 Team ran its cars in different aero specifications.

Romain Grosjean began this trial at the British Grand Prix, running the team’s original spec from the season-opening Australian Grand Prix and continuing with it right through to the most recent race, the Hungarian Grand Prix.

Kevin Magnussen, meanwhile, campaigned the team’s second-generation spec, first introduced in mid-May at the Spanish Grand Prix, in Britain before outfitting his Haas VF-19 in the team’s latest spec in the German Grand Prix and again in Hungary.

Now, after a three-week break via the FIA-mandated summer shutdown, Rich Energy Haas F1 Team will have both its cars in the same spec for the Belgian Grand Prix Aug. 30-Sept. 1 at Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps.

The data gathered from this three-race, car-to-car comparison has framed the spec of the Haas VF-19s for Spa, which will be a refinement of the spec Magnussen used in Germany and Hungary.

Measuring in at 7.004 kilometers (4.352 miles), Spa is the longest venue in Formula One, outdistancing the series’ second-longest track, the 6.003-kilometer (3.730-mile) Baku City Circuit, by 1.001 kilometers (.622 of a mile).

In addition to its length, Spa is known for being a driver’s track, thanks in large part to the addition of the signature Eau Rouge and Raidillon corners in 1939, which created a fast and sweeping uphill, left-right-left combination that is revered throughout motorsports.

The 19-turn circuit is a favorite of Grosjean and Magnussen. Before securing his most recent podium when he finished third in the 2015 Belgian Grand Prix, Grosjean clinched the 2011 GP2 Series title at the venerable track.

And Magnussen, with four Formula One starts at Spa, has two Formula Renault 3.5 Series victories there in back-to-back seasons but with two different teams – Carlin in 2012 and DAMS in 2013. In their most recent outing at Spa, Grosjean and Magnussen scored a double-points finish in last year’s Belgian Grand Prix.

Another effort like that would go a long way toward bettering Rich Energy Haas F1 Team’s position in the constructors’ standings. With nine races remaining, the American squad sits ninth with 26 points and trails eighth-place Racing Point by five points and seventh-place Alfa Romeo by six points.

Rich Energy Haas F1 Team has scored points in four of the 12 races run thus far, with its most recent point-paying effort coming in Germany where Grosjean finished seventh and Magnussen came home eighth, netting a solid 10 points.

With both its cars in the same spec for Belgium, it is hoped the collective efforts of the past three races combined with the serenity of the summer shutdown can yield another collection of points at Spa.

Q&A with Guenther Steiner, Team Principal

In the three races prior to the summer shutdown, Rich Energy Haas F1 Team performed car-to-car aero tests, with Grosjean running the Melbourne spec while Magnussen has run the Barcelona spec and the current spec, which first debuted in Germany. What did you learn and what is the gameplan for Spa?
GS: “For Spa we will go with the upgraded car, which we ran at Hockenheim. We’ve learned quite a bit out of it and tried to improve the car by changing some of the components. Both cars will be the same spec, and hopefully we can still learn more about it.”

Will Rich Energy Haas F1 Team bring any more updates for the remainder of the 2019 season? More specifically, when does the focus switch from this year’s car to next year’s car?
GS: “The focus has already switched, partly, to the 2020 car. We need to see what we can come up with in the wind tunnel, with the small developments we do there for the 2019 car, and if we bring any upgrade kits. We don’t know yet.”

The midfield is still tight, as evidenced by fifth-place Toro Rosso being 17 points away from Rich Energy Haas F1 Team. Can a run up the constructors’ ranks still happen in these last nine races?
GS: “Everything is possible, but it is difficult as our car doesn’t perform well in races, and that’s where you score the points. Nevertheless, we will be trying hard to pick up whatever we can. Hopefully, we can get a few more results, and then we’ll see how we end up in the standings.”

Does it almost feel like a new season when we show up at Spa after the summer shutdown because everyone has had the chance to rest and regroup to focus on these final nine races?
GS: “I think it’s something in between. It’s good to have a few weeks to sit back and clear your mind, and then see what you need to do in the second half. It’s not a new season, but it’s just you hope you come back a little more rested and you get a few things sorted out.”

Spa is one of Formula One’s classic tracks. Much has been made of next year’s schedule, as well as future schedules, specifically balancing classic tracks like Spa with new venues like next year’s race in Vietnam. What’s your take on this issue, and what is the proper balance between holding onto Formula One’s history and crafting Formula One’s future?
GS: “I think at the moment we have a good mix. We’ve got a few classics, a few semi-classics – which are races that have been here around 10-15 years, and then we’ve got new ones, which is always exciting. Take Zandvoort. It’s a classic circuit, but it hasn’t been run in a long time. Going back there will be interesting. Hanoi’s a completely new venue, which is, for sure, interesting, both for Formula One and Vietnam. I think at the moment there’s a good blend of new, semi-classic and classic tracks.”

It looks like Formula One will have a 22-race schedule next year. Are teams at their limit when it comes to preseason testing and the current slate of 21 races, or can another race be added?
GS: “At the moment, when they’re talking of adding just one more race, it maybe means doing a bit less testing. We’re trying to find a way to do one more which means we don’t have to rotate people, but there is a point where you have to start rotating and giving people a few races off. At 22 races, I think there is enough understanding between the teams that we just need to do less activities in other areas to make up for the additional race.”

Rain in Germany provided Formula One the first opportunity to have a standing start on a wet track. It seemed race control did a thorough job of getting real-time feedback from drivers, and then the start took place without any major dramas. How did it all go from your standpoint, and knowing the weather is often a prominent fixture at Spa, could a wet standing start take place again?
GS: “Hockenheim went very well. It’s the first time it was done. That doesn’t mean that the second time it will go well, but it’s always good when something goes well. Race control made the right decision with a standing start. That’s what agreed to. Surely if it rains at Spa, the conditions will determine if it’s a standing start, a rolling start, or if it’s dry. I don’t have that foresight in the weather.”

Q&A with Romain Grosjean

The midfield is still tight, as evidenced by fifth-place Toro Rosso being 17 points away from Rich Energy Haas F1 Team. Can a run up the constructors’ ranks still happen in these last nine races?
RG: “Yes, anything can happen – that’s why you should never give up. We’re going to do our best, obviously, but on paper things are a bit more complicated than they were last year. But again, with a good summer break and a good understanding of our issues, we could be back on target for a really good points finish, just like Austria last year where we scored 22 points in one event.”

Does it almost feel like a new season when we show up at Spa after the summer shutdown because everyone has had the chance to rest and regroup to focus on these final nine races?
RG: “It maybe doesn’t feel like a new season, but it does feel like a fresh start. It’s always good because everyone’s well-rested and ready to attack the second part of the season.”

Rain in Germany provided Formula One the opportunity to have a standing start on a wet track. It seemed race control did a thorough job of getting real-time feedback from drivers, and then the start took place without any major dramas. How did it all go from your standpoint, and knowing the weather is often a prominent fixture at Spa, could a wet standing start take place again?
“I think it works in the wet. It worked quite well in Germany. Obviously, when you’re in the midfield it’s tricky because you don’t see much. We’ve seen some on-boards of the guys at the back and, really, it was difficult to see. Even though I was toward the front, I couldn’t see much. I thought it was quite good for the show. It was a good procedure there.”

Spa has been called a driver’s track. Why?
RG: “Probably because of the layout of the corners and the high-speed part of the track. It just has a good variety overall and it gives you a good feeling to drive.”

Spa is one of Formula One’s classic tracks. Much has been made of next year’s schedule, as well as future schedules, specifically balancing classic tracks like Spa with new venues like next year’s race in Vietnam. What’s your take on this issue, and what is the proper balance between holding onto Formula One’s history and crafting Formula One’s future?
RG: “It’s not an easy task and I don’t really have a proper answer. The only thing I can say is that for the teams, the European races are easier as most of them are based there. Losing Spain or Germany would be a bit sad, just because they’ve been here for a long time with good histories, and the tracks are quite cool. Obviously, you always know what you lose and you don’t know what you gain, but maybe what we gain is better, maybe it’s worse. Personally, I think every driver has some tracks that they love to go to and others that they would happily remove from the calendar.”

It looks like Formula One will have a 22-race schedule next year. Are teams at their limit when it comes to preseason testing and the current slate of 21 races, or can another race be added?
RG: “I think we’re getting close to the limit for everyone. But the human body is strong, so let’s see what we can do.”

Your most recent podium was earned in the 2015 Belgian Grand Prix. You started ninth and made it all the way to third, finishing behind the Mercedes duo of Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg. How did you make up so many positions?
“We had a good car in Belgium that year. I had qualified fourth, but started ninth due to a gearbox penalty. We had a good strategy and good timing with a safety car, too. I managed to overtake a few cars and get on the podium. Honestly, it was one of those weekends where everything just goes to plan.”

Q&A with Kevin Magnussen

KM: “Of course, you’ve just got to put it all together and find the race pace and then we’ll be good.”

KM: “It’s a bit of a rest for the whole team, especially for the mechanics and engineers. They need the break to get back home to their families and spend a bit of time away from racecars. When they come back, they’re recharged and ready to fight for another half of the season.”

Rain in Germany provided Formula One the opportunity to have a standing start on a wet track. It seemed race control did a thorough job of getting real-time feedback from drivers, and then the start took place without any major dramas. How did it all go from your standpoint, and knowing the weather is often a prominent fixture at Spa, could a wet standing start take place again?
KM: “It wasn’t really a big problem in Germany. It all happened fine. Maybe the only thing they can think about is not running so many laps behind the safety car. We were just losing tire temperatures with that. Maybe just get it done earlier.”

Spa has been called a driver’s track. Why?
KM: “I would just say it’s a track featuring high speeds, lots of corners, and if you put a perfect lap together there, you can make up time as the lap is so long. The races there are often quite entertaining because of the weather, and also because it’s a track where you can overtake. It’s a spectacular track.”

KM: “I’m a big fan of the old tracks because they have history and they have character. If you ask me, we should focus on just that. My fingers are crossed for some cool racetracks.”

KM: “I think it’s really tough on the race team because it’s a lot of time away from home. Of course, it’s a lot of time away for us as well, but we have it a bit easier. We get to sleep on those weekends, we don’t have to work 16-hour days like those guys. For them, it becomes tricky if more races are added.”

BERGER: VETTEL MIGHT SURPRISE US ALL AND QUIT

SCUDERIA_TORO_ROSSO_-_ITALY_2008044.jpg

Gerhard Berger, the man behind Sebastian Vettel’s first-ever Formula 1 victory, believes the German could decide to pull out of his Ferrari contract at any time.

The quadruple F1 world champion has won a grand total of 52 Grands Prix, the third-highest tally in the sport’s history, but his last win was exactly a year ago, at Spa-Francorchamps and amid a problem packed season, there remain uncertainties about Vettel’s future.

32-year-old Vettel, who keeps his family life fiercely private, has admitted a certain disillusionment with the direction of modern F1 while his wife Hanna is understood to be pregnant with their third child.

Turun Sanomat newspaper claims that a clause in Vettel’s contract, which is valid also for 2020, would allow the German to quit Ferrari earlier than then if he is outside the top three drivers in the championship.

The report claims Vettel could use the opportunity to return to Red Bull, where he won all of his four titles.

But Berger, who was Vettel’s first F1 team boss at Toro Rosso, thinks he could retire from the sport altogether and told DPA, “Sebastian is a very intelligent guy and certainly he has a lot of other aspects to his life.

“He is very family-oriented, he has children, and he has a lot of money – he doesn’t need any more. His heart is very much with his family and his old motorcycles and cars.”

Vettel has regularly played down any retirement talk, but Berger is not so sure, “I can well imagine that he wakes up one morning and says: it’s all getting on my nerves, I’m doing something else or I’m going to drive cars that are more fun and not operating under such complex rules.”

“It’s not like Sebastian is not good at surprises,” he warned.

Berger, a former Ferrari driver, says the situation Vettel is in, where he is not currently winning and young teammate Charles Leclerc could begin to get the upper hand, is “not easy for Sebastian”.

“He is running out of time. It’s a bit different to Michael [Schumacher], who was much stricter with his team and guided it more, which is not a criticism of Sebastian because he is very clever and hardworking, it’s just not his nature. It’s the management’s duty to make the team work,” added Berger.

But Vettel is keeping the faith, “I am convinced that we will stand on the top step this year. We will certainly not give up. We are actually pushing the development of the car and I feel like the problems I had with the rear are now not as bad.”

US Grand Prix ticket sales boosted by Netflix F1 series

2018 United States GP start

Circuit Of The Americas chairman Bobby Epstein is expecting the largest ever attendance for this season’s United States Grand Prix, partly thanks to the Formula 1 Netflix series ‘Drive to Survive’.

The 2018 race saw an attendance of 263,160 fans across the weekend – including 111,580 on race day – which represented the fourth-highest attendance of the F1 season.

Sales are already up year-on-year for the 2019 event and Epstein is already looking to build more grandstands around the 3.4mile circuit to accommodate the increase in fans.

Epstein believes the Netflix series has exposed the world of F1 to more people and given them a taste of what the series has to offer.

“We are on track to have the biggest attendance of any race so far – the reserved seats already sold out in July. We are thinking of where we can build new grandstands to accommodate more fans,” Epstein told ESPN.

“There’s a lot of reasons for that – we have the music entertainment element which has been a huge help [Pink and Imagine Dragons will play concerts during race weekend], but the fact we have built a base here at COTA is massive. We have established a good history, made it a tradition to come and race here.

“Looking beyond that, the Netflix series has been the biggest boost for US fans we have had in terms of ticket sales. All our surveys on new customers suggest it’s had a huge impact and a big benefit to F1. It really was a stroke of genius to get that put on.

“It’s why we broadened what was offered on a weekend, in order to bring different people to the event, but the Netflix series has reached people we might never have reached otherwise.”

Epstein is also in discussions with F1 to extend the circuit’s current deal with a short-term extension beyond 2021.

“I think a shorter deal is better for both parties, you don’t want to get locked into something that you don’t like down the line. We also can never be sure how the event or how the sport will evolve over the next few years,” he added.

“What I will say is, I think there will be an F1 race at COTA for as long as the track is there, that’s the benefit of building a permanent facility.”

Drivers fill up on soft tyres for Italian GP

red-tyre-pirelli-jm1801jy389.jpg

Pirelli has confirmed the compound selections for each driver for the Italian Grand Prix next month.

The red-walled soft tyre is the favourite by far, with some drivers selecting as many as ten sets. Red Bull's Max Verstappen is amongst those, with the Dutchman taking just one mandatory set of the white hard tyre and two of the yellow medium.

The remaining front-runners have all opted for eight sets of the soft, though differ slightly in their remaining sets with Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas taking three and four sets of the medium respectively, which is mirrored by Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel and Charles Leclerc.

unnamed.jpg