FORMULA 1

Esteban Ocon: Every point crucial in tight F1 midfield battle

jm1822ma134.jpg

Esteban Ocon has emphasised that “every point” will make a difference in this year’s Constructors' Championship due to the anticipated nature of the tightly-contested midfield.

Force India has finished fourth across the past two seasons in Formula 1 and has held a comfortable buffer back to its closest rival, in both cases Williams, allowing it a certain degree of leeway.

That gap in 2016 was 35 points, and grew to 104 last year, as Force India comfortably headed the remainder of the midfield contingent.

This year, though, Renault is expected to make gains as it continues on its quest to return to title contention in 2020, while McLaren has been tipped to improve after dumping Honda power for Renault.

Haas also caught the eye of many teams during pre-season testing, while Toro Rosso put in encouraging lap times and mileage.

Ocon therefore believes that the standings in the midfield group could be decided by just a handful of points come Abu Dhabi.

“We need to score every point we can because it’s going to be very tight at the end of the season and every point we score will make a difference,” he said.

“Our objective is to get to Q3 and score a good amount of points.

“Until we get to the track we won’t know where everyone stands, but I hope we’re in a good place.

“We do not underestimate anyone but we’re not scared of anyone. We know what we’re capable of.”

Last year marked the first time Ocon had raced in Australia and he reckons that experience will help his cause 12 months on.

“It’s good to be back in Melbourne a year after my Force India debut,” he commented.

“Having done it all before makes it easier because you know what’s going to happen and you can just focus on finding performance.

“We have a new upgrade package on the car and we’re confident it’s going to be an improvement.

“Testing was all about understanding which direction we had to take and from tomorrow we can find out where we stand.”

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have said it many times over the years, the FIA need to appoint stewards that are the same people for EVERY race. I have always felt that some stewards are biased toward "some" drivers (Of cour

F1 needs a Friday program including testing or the race tracks are going to lose a lot of ticket sales.  As a TV viewer, I find the Friday practice sessions quite enjoyable.   On par with the rest of

WILLIAMS CONFIRM SIROTKIN TO RACE AND KUBICA RESERVE Russian rookie Sergey Sirotkin will race for Williams this season after being chosen ahead of Polish rival Robert Kubica on Tuesday in wh

McLaren's Australian GP engineer lowdown

In the first of our Engineer's Lowdown series, Stoffel's Race Engineer Tom Stallard talks us through the nuances of Albert Park, home to the Australian Grand Prix. It's bumpy, it's tough on tyres and it's the first race of the season.

Pirelli confirms Hypersoft compound will debut in Monaco

jm1807ma299.jpg

Pirelli’s new-for-2018 Hypersoft compound will make its first appearance at a Grand Prix in Monaco, the company has confirmed.

Pirelli has moved its existing compounds one step softer compared to 2017 and also expanded its range of slick tyres from five to seven, introducing the Hypersoft and back-up Superhard.

The pink-walled Hypersoft, which was run by some teams during pre-season testing, will be used for the first time at a Grand Prix in Monaco, where the softest compounds are typically run.

The purple-banded Ultrasoft and red-ringed Supersoft will also be available for teams.

As per the regulations, one set of Hypersofts must be saved for use only in Q3, while either the Ultrasofts or Supersofts must be run for one stint of the 78-lap Grand Prix.

Of the remaining 10 of their 13 allocated sets, drivers are permitted free choice of compound from the three nominated options.

The Hypersoft will also be used at the following event in Canada, as previously confirmed by Pirelli.

The Ultrasoft, Supersoft and Soft tyres are the nominated compounds for this weekend’s season-opener in Australia.

Liberty mustn't ignore F1 breakaway threat, says Ecclestone

Liberty mustn't ignore F1 breakaway threat, says Ecclestone

Formula 1 owners Liberty Media have been warned by Bernie Ecclestone not to dismiss the possible threat of a breakaway championship being established by Ferrari and Mercedes.
With F1’s two biggest teams questioning some of the plans that Liberty has for the sport beyond 2020, talk of a rebel series has emerged once again.

While there would be huge hurdles to overcome before the car makers could consider trying to do their own thing, Ecclestone believes Liberty would be foolish to ignore the possibility of something being put together.

“Talking to people like Sergio [Marchionne, Ferrari CEO] and Toto [Wolff, Mercedes team boss], they are not idiots,” Ecclestone told Motorsport.com.

“They will weigh up whether it’s better for everyone to leave and do their own series, or do we need the FIA to look over things? So people will start to think what to do.

“The trouble now is that Sergio has come out and said, ‘The next time I see you, I’m going to punch you in the face.’ And when he sees the people, he’s got to be sure that he’s going to punch them in the face. Sergio is not the guy that makes threats as a joke and then runs away from it.”

Christian Horner, Red Bull Racing Team Principal Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari and Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari at the autograph session Christian Horner, Team Principal, Red Bull Racing, Bernie Ecclestone, Chairman Emeritus of Formula 1

Don't underestimate Liberty, says Horner

While F1 is bracing itself for tough negotiations about future rules, a new prize money structure and cost reduction, Red Bull boss Christian Horner thinks it would be wrong to think that Liberty will be a pushover.

“People underrate Liberty,” Horner told Motorsport.com. “They have paid $8 billion for a business. They are marketing people, TV people. Sport for them is entertainment, it is about engagement with the fans. Creating a better experience for the viewer and the fan.

“What they need to get right, and where they have clear ideas, is what the product should be for 2021. I think their challenge is that they don’t have alignment with the FIA and it is at odds with some of the teams.

"They have to do what is right for their business. They have spent a colossal amount of money on it and have a huge amount invested in it – so it is not about what is right for individual teams or for the FIA.

“It has got to be what is right for the sport, and then it is down to the teams and whether they want to play or not. The problem with that process is that you are never going to keep everyone happy.”

Pushed on whether it will need Liberty to upset some people to get through rules that it thinks will be best, Horner said: “Yes. We need strong leadership at this point. The sport needs strong direction and clear direction.

“You will always have detractors. You will always have people who will pull things apart. But F1 is one of the biggest brands in the world. It has a huge following, and it needs to sit at the top of the motorsport pyramid.”

McLaren executive director Zak Brown said in Australia that he hoped looming talks and politicking did not damage F1’s image.

“I think Formula 1 is going to go through a great growth spurt, but I think negotiations for the new Concorde Agreement are going to be fireworks like we've never seen before,” he said.

“Those have already started, but I think they'll become more public. So we need to make sure that doesn't become disruptive to the corporate community.

“I think the fans enjoy it. We need to make sure the corporate community isn't turned off and concerned by 'is this team going to leave, is that team going to leave, is this race going to go?'

"Because it will all be a negotiation that will get pretty dramatic from here until we reach a new [agreement].”

Williams "has to be concerned" about rivals' form - Stroll

Williams "has to be concerned" about rivals' form - Stroll

Williams "has to be concerned" heading into the 2018 Formula 1 season based on testing pace, according to Lance Stroll.
Coming off the back of an unspectacular winter of testing, and with the likes of Renault, Haas and McLaren showing signs of potential improvement, Williams could face a tough battle to hang on to its fifth spot in the constructors' standings for a second consecutive year.

That's not lost on Stroll, who admits that Williams' testing form, paired with gains being made elsewhere on the grid, is cause for concern heading into the season opener.

"We definitely have to be concerned because it's not a secret that everyone looks pretty good this year, so it's going to be competitive," he said.

"But at the same time we just have to remain calm and wait to see what happens this weekend where we stand."

Team boss Claire Williams added that while testing hadn't gone to plan, it was the right time to uncover weaknesses with the car, leaving margin to make big gains when the major updates arrive for the Spanish GP.

"I suppose the honest assessment is we probably hoped for a little bit more in testing," she said.

"But then it is testing. That's what we're there for, to try to evaluate the way the car is and predominantly to understand where the weaknesses are and then work rapidly ahead of Australia in order to try to rectify those weaknesses.

"Any ambitions we may have had – I'm not saying we did – to be fighting in the top three are probably a little bit far off from us, but that's our responsibility and we need to make sure we very quickly get on top of the weaknesses in the racecar that we have and bring developments over the coming races.

Lance Stroll, Williams Racing, takes a selfie with a fan Williams Racing garage Williams pit box

"We've got a huge development package for Barcelona – we'll have to wait and see where that puts us."

However, she also conceded that losing points in the early races would likely prove costly in the tight midfield battle.

"I think that's what we all see – that you miss those points at the start of the season and you really regret that later.

"You kind of think 'well, it's a long year so if we don't do necessarily very well in the first few races it doesn't matter'. It actually is crucial to do well from the off."

According to new signing Sergey Sirotkin, one hope for the team is that issues with turn-in might have been exaggerated by the cold conditions in Barcelona.

"To be honest [turn-in is] the most crucial part of any racing car," he said.

"In certain conditions it was more difficult for us yes, and of course I'm sure you don't expect me to say what we need to sort out, but we are working on it.

"It's a very different track here anyway, with a different tyre working range.

"It all depends on the conditions, not just what the car is doing. Here we're going to be on a different surface and different air temps and different corner layouts. It's all going to affect the car balance quite a lot.

"We know areas we have to be improving, but we also need to be paying attention to the tracks."

Stroll echoed his teammate's sentiments about turn-in.

"For sure it's been something we've struggled with for a while now," he said. "Last year we had the same kind of problem at a few tracks. Some tracks less than others, but it's definitely a point to focus on to improve."

Haas "back to square one" for Australia despite rivals' praise

Haas "back to square one" for Australia despite rivals' praise

Haas F1 boss Gunther Steiner says his team is "back to square one" for the Australian Grand Prix despite its promising form during pre-season testing.
Despite not using the softest tyres during the winter running, Haas driver Kevin Magnussen finished sixth-quickest overall, around a second slower than Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel, who used hypersofts for his best time.

Haas' pace led to Lewis Hamilton saying the team will be "up there this year", the reigning champion labelling its cars as "very, very fast".

While Steiner welcomed the praise, he insisted the team has not achieved anything yet and remains cautioned about its prospects.

"It's flattering, but we are realistic. We are cautiously optimistic about it," said Steiner in Australia on Thursday. "We don't put ourselves under pressure because of the test results.

"We are all cautiously optimistic but we know we have a lot of work to do to get the result which apparently seems to there. It's not done yet. There's nothing done yet. We haven't achieved anything.

"We are good in testing, but we didn't get any points, we didn't get any trophies so we are back to square one."

He added: "We are cautiously optimistic, but again, testing is not qualifying or a race, so there's still a long to way and again we will know more on Saturday about where we really stand compared to the other ones.

The helmet of Romain Grosjean, Haas F1 Team Romain Grosjean, Haas F1 Team Track walk with Kevin Magnussen, Haas F1 Team

"We know where we are, but even if you are magic, if somebody's mega magic, you are still behind them."

While his team boss downplayed expectations, Romain Grosjean reckoned there is reason to be optimistic, the Frenchman expecting Haas to be within half a second of Ferrari.

"I think Ferrari, everyone talks about the engine, it's a big part, but we have the suspension, hydraulics, the gearbox as well, and all of that is a big part of our car," said Grosjean.

"That's why when Gene [Haas] says 'I want to be within half a second of Ferrari' and I don't think that's unrealistic."

"We're going to fight some big really teams, which is amazing in our third year. Let's see what it's like but we just focus on our own job and not trying to make plans for reaching Mars or Jupiter or Neptune or whatever."

Steiner, meanwhile, is positive Haas has a solid development plan for the season.

"We have a good plan in place, but I don't know what the other ones are planning to put in, so it's difficult for me.

"We can go with history but again, even spending a lot of money doesn't mean all the time that you get the results. Even if you spend 10m or 20m in updates it doesn't mean that you get for every million five points in aero efficiency.

"We have a good plan in place compared to ourselves from last year, to bring more and better updates, because we have matured as a team. But if we can keep up with them or not I don't know sitting here."

• Like 1

Australian GP: Latest tech updates, direct from the garages

Giorgio Piola and Sutton Images help to expose some of the fascinating technical detail on show at the first race of the season in Australia.

McLaren MCL33 front wing detail

McLaren has a couple of front wing specifications available in Australia, each featuring different flap shapes. The version shown here has full length sharp tips.

Ferrari SF71H nose detail

Ferrari SF71H nose detail

A close up of Ferrari's ‘S’ duct inlet, which for 2018 features three distinct channels in order that airflow not be choked in certain operating conditions.

Williams FW41 titanium gearbox

Williams FW41 titanium gearbox

Although reports suggested that Williams would switch to a carbon gearbox casing for 2018 this image reveals it has retained a titanium one. Also noteworthy is the exhaust's tortured route as it arches down through the front of the casing.

Mercedes-AMG F1 W09 front suspension detail

Mercedes-AMG F1 W09 front suspension detail

Mercedes' front suspension detail has some of its packaging revised. Also note the ‘heave’ damper, which is still likely hydraulic, has been deliberately obscured.

Scuderia Toro Rosso STR13 bodywork detail

Scuderia Toro Rosso STR13 bodywork detail

Toro Rosso’s multiple element turning vane solution under the bridge of the nose and chassis also features a row of serrations in the footplate.

Ferrari SF71H front suspension detail

Ferrari SF71H front suspension detail

Features the horizontal ‘heave’ element that remains relatively unchanged from last season.

Williams FW41 front suspension detail

Williams FW41 front suspension detail

Notably the team has raised the position of the rocker arms this year.

Ferrari SF71H front wing detail

Ferrari SF71H front wing detail

The more aggressive of the two front wing specifications that Ferrari has available in Melbourne, featuring a short slot in the inner section of both the mainplane's surfaces.

Sauber C37 front brake and suspension assembly

Sauber C37 front brake and suspension assembly

Note the upright extension which positions the upper wishbone much higher than would ordinarily be possible.

Ferrari SF71H front brake detail

Ferrari SF71H front brake detail

This features two inlets, the larger outer scoop and the smaller one that takes air in alongside the vertical fence and tyre's sidewall. Both are outfitted with horizontal protective fences in order that debris doesn't become lodged in them and reduce cooling efficiency.

Force India VJM11 front wing detail

Force India VJM11 front wing detail

Force India continues to use the front wing endplate design championed by the team through much of last season that features two differently-shaped canards.

McLaren continues to use the same front wing pillar design as its predecessor – elongated and punctuated by 3 slots.

Ferrari SF71H rear bodywork detail

Ferrari SF71H rear bodywork detail

Ferrari's lower T-Wing takes advantage of the regulatory space left over by the FIA’s 2018 changes.

Red Bull believes its RB14 F1 chassis is 'absolutely ahead' of rivals

75b671e8316afb8cb3b171a2b05dab6a.jpg

Red Bull believes its RB14 chassis is "absolutely ahead" of its Formula 1 rivals this year, but it does not expect that to be enough to sustain a season-long challenge.

The team made a slow start in 2017 after windtunnel problems left it on the back foot, but it believes GPS data from pre-season testing this year shows it has a car team principal Christian Horner says does not "give anything away in the corners".

Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko told Autosport: "We know that our chassis is absolutely ahead on the GPS data and so on.

"There's a problem with the engine. It is difficult to even begin to achieve the excellent Mercedes performance that has been delivered."

Horner says that the team can be optimistic heading into the start of the season, but he believes Red Bull's engine deficit to Mercedes and Ferrari will prevent it from sustaining a season-long challenge.

"It is difficult to draw too many conclusions but I don't think we give anything away in any of the corners we looked at in Barcelona," said Horner in an exclusive interview.

"And if you went out and had a look on circuit, it was evident that the car looks well poised.

"There is a real optimism about this car. It responds well. It is giving the drivers good feedback and it is a great starting point as we go into the season.

"We know where our deficiencies are to our opponents, and we just have to compensate in other areas."

584de9083e51b8a540e42a4e1d25f3c4.jpg

Engine supplier Renault has already made clear that its focus at the start of the season will be on reliability even if that means sacrificing some performance.

When asked if he believed the chassis could overcome any power deficit, Horner said: "Over a season I don't think so.

"But there will be some circuits where we will be stronger than others.

"Our focus is on dealing with the bits that we can control, maximising our own performance, our own reliability, and grabbing opportunities when they present themselves."

Horner thinks it may not be until the Spanish GP, when Renault could choose to introduce its second power unit of the year, that the team may be in a position to get on even terms with Mercedes and Ferrari.

"The first three or four races are all very power sensitive tracks and they are going to be pretty tough for us," he said.

"It is probably not until we get back into Europe and whatever they have with engine two, that one would hope the gap will diminish.

"China/Bahrain/Australia, they are all quite big engine circuits, so we are really reliant on our colleagues in Viry coming up with something."

Raikkonen fears fuel loads will spoil F1 ‘fun’

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_GettyImages-936201684-2-700x367.jpg

Kimi Raikkonen has expressed concerns about the fuel load limit in Formula 1 on the eve of the first grand prix weekend of the season.

The unpopular introduction of the Halo cockpit safety device has increased the minimum weight of Formula 1 cars to 734kg, but the fuel load limit is staying exactly the same at 105kg of fuel per race without surpassing the fuel flow rate of 100kg/hour.

And, with the Albert Park circuit such a fuel-hungry track, Raikkonen thinks drivers will not be able to push the car to the limit and will instead have to prioritise fuel management instead.

“Obviously some races are more difficult than others and it depends between the teams and all kinds of conditions,” Raikkonen said.

“It’s not always fun. We have enough size in the fuel tanks to put in more fuel to go full speed, but that’s the rules and it’s been like that for a while.

“It’s a part of the game now and it’s a bit more painful in some places than others.”

It leaves Raikkonen hoping that Ferrari can manage the potential issue and still be in a position to launch a firm challenge to the likes of Mercedes and Red Bull come Sunday.

“There are always changes and I think it’s normal every year,” he added.

“Obviously we learned from previous years and try to do things better. It’s a never-ending story, really, it’s evolving the new car we try to fix all the other things.

“There’s never going to be perfect things, always somewhere to improve. If you win and finish one-two, we always found things we could have done better so it’s never-ending story, unfortunately.”

Sorry for the scarce information but I been at the track as will I be there around midday.

Will post more later, damn it was wet yesterday! Seems sunnier now, but really windy. Ahhh Melbourne. :) 

MELBOURNE QUALIFYING: HAMILTON BLOWS THEM AWAY

LewisHamiltonAustralianF1GrandPrixPracticeZmXh40tiBxSx.jpg

Lewis Hamilton powered to a record seventh pole position around Albert Park, claiming the top spot start for the season-opening Australian Grand Prix by a whopping six-tenths of a second over Ferrari driver Kimi Raikkonen while the world champion’s teammate Valtteri Bottas crashed into the wall during the early stages of Q1.

Mercedes finally revealed what they really have in their package and it was alarming viewing for their rivals given the gap was so large, suggesting that the Silver Arrows outfit have kept their powder dry thus far, and what they have at their disposal in the W09 is yet another formidable weapon for their drivers.

Sebastian Vettel raised Ferrari hopes at the end of Q2, when he topped the timing screens, but with everything dialled up Hamilton in his Mercedes were simply on another level when it mattered in Q3 popping a remarkable 1:21.164 – the fastest lap ever around the lakeside venue – which in the end was too good for anyone else and also a second quicker than his pole-winning time last year.

Hamilton summed up his season-opening afternoon, “You would think that with the results we had it would be the norm but it isn’t, it’s so intense and my heart is racing. I’m so happy with that lap. It was such a nice lap. I’m always striving for perfection and that was as close as I could get. I’m always in party mode.”

“What was surprising was to see how quick the Ferraris were. During that lap I was in the same modes as before but it was hooking up the tyres and getting the lap together,” added Hamilton.

Last year’s race winner Vettel had to settle for third on the grid this time out, narrowly denied a front row start by his Ferrari teammate Raikkonen who found a strong vein of form at the start of his 18th season in the top flight.

The veteran Finn said, “It was a pretty decent job. Obviously the lap time difference is quite big. It wasn’t a straight forwards session with the rain this morning. We have to be pretty happy with where we are starting but there is an awful lot of work to be done to improve things.”

Afterwards, Vettel told reporters, “I think we can be happy. Yesterday I wasn’t happy, I didn’t really feel the car. It just kept coming better in Qualifying. On the last lap I had a bit of a moment into 13, I tried to brake really late and it didn’t work. It was really close and it’s exciting for us when it’s that close.”

“Shame that Lewis had quite a big gap at the end but I guess his lap was pretty good. Looking forward to tomorrow, I think we improved the car and we’ll see what happens tomorrow. It’s very close, we saw yesterday on the long runs that pace is very close.”

“It’s not the easiest place to overtake but who knows. We have an opportunity at the start and the race, who knows. I’m really happy for the team, it’s a good result. Let’s get going,” added Vettel.

Max Verstappen was fourth fastest in the Red Bull, but worth mentioning that a mere five-hundredth of a second separated the Dutchman from Raikkonen, with Vettel sandwiched between them on the timing screens.

Local hero Daniel Ricciardo, starting the session with a grid penalty thanks to a free practice infringement, was fifth fastest, albeit three tenths down on his teammate.

The Aussie reflected, “I thought [the grid penalty] was unjust. A penalty sure, there are reprimands, fines, other things but to shoot me in the ankle before the season has started – I thought they could have done better.”

WOLFF: WE SWITCHED PARTY MODE ON IN Q3 FOR HAMILTON

Lewis Hamilton

Lewis Hamilton’s devastating pace on his pole-winning lap during qualifying for the Australian Grand Prix can be attributed to a ‘party mode’ that the team unleashed in Q3 which left everyone in the Melbourne paddock stunned.

The reigning world champion stormed to pole with a record lap of 1:21.164 seconds at Albert Park, with a gap of more than six-tenths of a second to the second placed Ferrari of Kimi Raikkonen.

Afterwards, Hamilton denied Mercedes had triggered a different engine mode for Q3, which has been nicknamed the ‘party mode’ by the team, but he was contradicted by team boss Toto Wolff.

The Mercedes chief put the dramatic pace jump from Hamilton’s first effort in Q3 to his pole-winning second run down to the car being maxed out and brilliant driving, “There is a party mode in the car, we switched the party mode on in Q3.”

“There was no difference from the first run in Q3 to the second run in Q3, he just said that he had a great lap, pulled it all together, carried more speed through the apexes.

“The gap was down to Lewis Hamilton putting in a lap with the grip level that he didn’t seem to be able to extract before. Everything was in the sweet spot, I guess. There wasn’t any difference in modes,” added Wolff.

Earlier in the session, Hamilton was edged out by Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel, but the Mercedes driver improved his lap time by nearly a full second in Q3.

Red Bull driver Daniel Ricciardo was among thus stunned by the pace of the number 44 Silver Arrows, “That sucks. It’s frustrating because I think everyone else wants to see them get challenged a bit more, so that was a little bit of a punch in the stomach to everyone.”

“I didn’t expect that much,” Ricciardo added, referring to Hamilton’s improvement in the last session. “I knew they had a bit more, I expected them to be more than two-tenths quicker than us.”

“That was like throwing a pie in everyone’s face. I know that obviously, they’re loving it, they’re in a good position but everyone else is hating it.”

“Hopefully we can catch up, hopefully in the race, they don’t have as much of that because that’s a bit scary, that (engine) mode they’ve got. We’ve got to try and figure it out,” added Ricciardo whose best time was good for fifth, albeit one-second shy of Hamilton, but will start the race in eighth due to a grid penalty.”

ALONSO: WE WILL GO FOR THE ATTACK MODE

Albert Park, Melbourne, Australia. Saturday 24 March 2018. Fernando Alonso, McLaren MCL33 Renault.  Photo: Steven Tee/McLaren ref: Digital Image _1ST5696

McLaren’s hopes of returning to the Formula 1 big-time with Renault power appeared ambitious after qualifying for the Australian Grand Prix nevertheless, a relieved Fernando Alonso was content to be in with a chance to hunt for points in the race.

Double F1 world champion Alonso and teammate Stoffel Vandoorne failed to break into the top 10 for the third and final session at Albert Park and their aspirations of re-joining the likes of Mercedes and Ferrari at the front seem far-fetched.

There was, however, some relief that the cars suffered no major reliability problems after they had a number of glitches during pre-season testing.

Alonso, the fastest of the five cars eliminated in Q2, is set to be promoted to 10th on the grid for Sunday’s race if Mercedes’ Valtteri Bottas is handed a penalty for a gearbox change after a crash during Q3. Vandoorne will line up one place behind his teammate.

“It’s what we have today and what we deserve. Happy with it,” said Alonso. “I think we showed some performance in the free practice, especially this morning in damp conditions.”

“I think we have a huge potential to unlock in the car, we’re still having some issues before unlocking everything so I think the next coming races we can look forward to the season very optimistic.”

Fallen giants McLaren split with engine supplier Honda last year after three miserable seasons, and the Woking-based outfit have placed high hopes on the Renault engine that powered Red Bull to three wins in 2017.

There may have been some satisfaction in the McLaren garage that both Toro Rosso cars, now using Honda power units, were knocked out in Q1.

“I think our race pace is probably better than our qualifying pace, so we’re in a good starting position,” said 36-year-old Alonso, who has not reached the podium since moving from Ferrari to McLaren in 2015.

“So definitely some good points are the target. Tomorrow will probably be one of the first races in the last couple of years where we won’t need to defend, and we will go for the attack mode,” added the Spaniard.

HAAS ENJOY BEST QUALIFYING WITH SURPRISE PACKAGE

Kevin Magnussen

Haas celebrated their best ever  performance for the season-opening Australian Grand Prix and batted off suggestions that their car was a ‘replica’ of last year’s race-winning Ferrari.

Kevin Magnussen will start Sunday’s race at Albert Park in fifth place with French team mate Romain Grosjean lining up in sixth after Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo took a three-place drop.

It was only the second time the Ferrari-powered team, who made their F1 debut in 2016, had both drivers qualifying in the top 10.

The team’s previous best grid placing was eighth for Grosjean and 10th for Mexican Esteban Gutierrez in Japan in 2016.

Haas’s pace caught the attention of rivals in testing, with some tipping them to be the potential surprise of the season, but there have also been comments about the team’s close technical ties to Ferrari.

“They have obviously a Ferrari replica of last year and Ferrari were winning here (in 2017),” McLaren’s double world champion Fernando Alonso had said on Friday after the first practice sessions.

“Haas appears to be very fast and maybe is right behind the top three teams and it will be hard to beat, especially in the first race and the first part of the season,” added the Spaniard, a former Ferrari driver.

Grosjean, who has long aspired to be a Ferrari driver, said disparaging comments about the Ferrari ties were unfair even if Haas used the same engine, gearbox and suspension as the Italians.

“It’s the same thing every time we’re fast,” said the Frenchman. “It was the same thing last year, we were ‘Ferrari B’,” he added. “It’s not true and it’s not nice for the people that work at Haas.”

Magnussen, a former McLaren driver, said Alonso — who qualified 11th but starts 10th — was just annoyed that Haas were ahead.

“I’m really proud of the team, and impressed. We’ve got a car that’s competitive here, it’s the fourth best car on the grid this weekend,” he told reporters.

“This team is the smallest on the grid, and if not the lowest then one of the lowest budgets and the least amount of people and resources. And yet we’ve got the fourth best car on this track in qualifying,” added the Dane.

• Like 1

BOTTAS: WE APPROACH THE RACE WITH FIGHTING SPIRIT

Bottas crash

Crashing out of Q3 during qualifying for the Australian Grand Prix is a major blow for Mercedes driver Valtteri Bottas who faces mounting pressure to keep his place with the world champion team, as a number of drivers are coveting one of the two ‘best seats in the house’ at the end of this season.

Bottas had complained in Q1 about the balance of his car, but was still able to keep in touch with his pace-setting teammate Lewis Hamilton during Q2, but during his first run in Q3 his number 77 Mercedes tagged the grass on the inside of the second apex in the Turn 1 complex.

This unsettled the Mercedes and resulted in the back-end of the car stepping out, at which point the Finn was out of control, a passenger as the W09 slammed the wall hard on the exit of Turn 2 to bring his qualy to a premature and disappointing end.

Bottas explained after a visit to the medical centre for a mandatory check-up, “I started the first timed lap and used a bit more track in the exit of Turn 1, went a bit too wide and was surprised it was still a bit damp from the rain.” 

“I was just pushing a bit too hard. I went wide in Turn 1 and the kerb was still a bit damp. I lost the rear of the car and hit the wall outside of Turn 2.

“It’s very unfortunate and I feel sorry for the team because we have a really competitive car. It looked like it was damaged pretty badly, so I really hope we can fix it for the race.”

“We have a good car, so I’ll try to fight back the best I can. Once we get the car in the window, it seems like it’s really quick, so that’s something positive from today.”

“We approach the race with fighting spirit. It’s still no points from Saturday, points are given on Sunday, so go for the race and try to come up as high as we can. We’re going to give it all as a team and me as well,” insisted Bottas.

Mercedes F1 chairman Niki Lauda summed up, “Valtteri has to think about it because he could have been right there. I will motivate him and bring him up again. He did everything right but unfortunately one thing not. We are going to bring him back.”

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff added, “It’s a garage of contrasting emotions today with a really unfortunate end to qualifying for Valtteri. It was a big hit and the boys will have a long job list to get the car ready to race. It’s now about putting the incident behind him and recovering as strongly as possible.”

The mistake was a costly one and not the way Bottas would have wanted to start his second year with the Silver Arrows. This is a career-defining season for him as the likes of Daniel Ricciardo, Esteban Ocon and Pascal Wehrlein all knocking at the door should Mercedes decide that the Finn is not up to the task and ditch him.

Depending on the damage to his car he could also face a five-place grid penalty for a gearbox change, while his crew will have a busy evening repairing his car in time for the race.

FORMULA 1 STRIKES DEAL FOR TEN PART NETFLIX SERIES

Netflix

Formula 1 have announced a ten-part documentary series that will air on Netflix in 2019, giving viewers never before seen behind-the-scenes footage of the 2018 season including the inevitable drama and intrigue of the world championship fight.

Press Release: Formula 1 and Netflix are proud to announce a season-long collaboration culminating in an original docu-series of the 2018 FIA Formula 1 World Championship, to be screened in early 2019.

This Netflix original series will be the first to truly immerse the audience inside the cockpits, the paddock and the lives of the key players in Formula 1. The series will have unparalleled and exclusive access to the world’s fastest drivers, team principals and owners, as well as Formula 1’s own management team.

Netflix has commissioned 10 episodes from the 2018 season, and the production team will film and reveal the intense fight for the heart, soul, and direction for the future of this multibillion-dollar business.

This series will be executive-produced by Academy-Award winner James Gay Rees (Senna) and Paul Martin for Box to Box Films. Sophie Todd will be the showrunner.

Sean Bratches, F1 Managing Director of Commercial Operations said: “Formula 1 is a global sport that we are actively repositioning from a motorsport company to a media and entertainment brand. The agreement with Netflix serves to chronicle the fascinating story of what transpires behind the scenes during a grand prix season. This is a perspective of the sport that has yet to be unveiled to fans around the world. This series will unleash a compelling vantage point to the sport that will delight fans and serve as a catalyst to entice new fans.”

Ian Holmes, Director of Media rights, said: “We are delighted to welcome a Netflix Original to Formula 1, a brand which has screened so many successful productions. This collaboration represents a new way of capturing our sport in all of its exciting aspects. There is nothing like F1, its layers of engineering complexity, allied to the enormity of human endeavour required to get through a Grand Prix season. The chance to present our sport through Netflix, to their worldwide audience, in an original and unique format, is something that we are very much looking forward to. This is a tremendous opportunity to showcase F1 and attract new fans to the sport.”

Bela Bajaria, Vice President of Content for Netflix: “This partnership with Formula 1 furthers our mission of working with world-class brands and production partners to produce best-in-class unscripted series. We can’t wait for this weekend’s Australian Grand Prix and to embark on an incredible season across the world.”

RICCIARDO: TO GIVE ME A GRID PENALTY IS SH!THOUSE

2018-Australian-Grand-Prix-Melbourne-093.jpg

A frustrated Daniel Ricciardo slammed Formula 1 stewards at the Australian Grand Prix after the Red Bull driver was handed a three-place grid penalty for his home race on Sunday.

The Western Australian was sanctioned for driving too fast under red flag conditions during Friday’s second free practice.

Stewards said in a statement they had imposed a “lesser penalty than usual” because Ricciardo had driven with “due care” and there was “no danger”.

Ricciardo, who was tipped to be a contender at Albert Park, said he had been potentially “robbed” of a front row start.

“I think I can agree with everyone, there’s other penalties they could have used,” the 28-year-old told reporters before the third and final practice on Saturday.

“To give me a grid penalty before the season has even started is shithouse. I slowed down, I knew there was a red flag, I didn’t go slow enough.

“It was just an honest mistake but should that really rob me of a front row start? They could give me a reprimand, they could give me a fine, I don’t care, just don’t rob me of a front-row start.”

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner had no issue with the decision but said he had never seen Ricciardo so enraged.

“I don’t think (the stewards) wanted to give him the penalty but they had to,” the Briton said. “You could see from the wording of the statement that they tried to water it down as best they could.

“It’s just so unfortunate for Daniel, home driver, home race. I’ve never seen him as angry as he was last night. It’s still eating him up and he’s still pretty revved up about it.”

Ricciardo, who has won five races for Red Bull, has had a bitter record at Albert Park, where no Australian racer has won.

In 2014, he finished second behind Mercedes winner Nico Rosberg but was later disqualified due to a technical infringement that was no fault of his own.

Last year, he crashed during qualifying, had to start the race from pit-lane due to a reliability problem and ended up retiring midway.

Williams can be 'in the mix for points' - Lance Stroll

Stroll%20Australia%20EDIT.jpg

Williams' Lance Stroll believes that the Grove-based team could be "in the mix for points" at the Australian Grand Prix despite both himself and Sergey Sirotkin having a disappointing qualifying performance at Albert Park.

In qualifying, Stroll failed to make it into Q3 and qualified in 14th place after running wide at Turn 3 on his final flying lap while Sirotkin managed 19th, beating only Pierre Gasly. 

"We would have signed up for P14 coming into the weekend after Barcelona. It was not ideal, as we could have improved on the lap in our second run in Q2," said Stroll.

"However, I got held up a little bit in the last sector and I didn't have the tyres in the window, as the fronts were cold and that kind of cost me. I felt good in the car and there was probably a little bit more in it."

Looking ahead to Sunday's race, Stroll admitted that Williams could be set for some points at the first round of the 2018 season although this is based on circumstances:

"We are kind of in the mix for the points, depending on what happens. We will see where we end up tomorrow," he added.

Paddy Lowe, Williams' Chief Technical Officer, mirrored Stroll's comments and believes that there was more to come from his drivers in terms of qualifying performance:

"Overall, it’s a disappointing set of grid positions because I think actually there was more in both the drivers and the car. Both Sergey [Sirotkin] and Lance [Stroll] had reasonable first runs in Q1," he said.

"Sergey was improving in his second run but he made a mistake in the second sector which cost him the chance to get into Q2.

"Lance got into Q2 and did a very good first run. He pushed it a bit harder in the second run, which should have improved quite a bit, but he made a mistake at turn three. So the grid positions could have been slightly better.

"Having said that, we have got two young drivers, one of them a rookie and one only 19-years old, and I think they’re both making really good progress," he continued.

"At the same time the car is clearly not quick enough at the moment. We haven’t done laps quick enough to get into Q3 which is our goal, so there’s clearly a lot more to do to develop the car in the weeks and months ahead.

"Tomorrow is predicted to be dry. It will be a tough afternoon as there are a lot of difficult things to manage at this circuit. Being the first race of the season, one of the major points will be to get to the finish with both cars and that may well indeed be the best way to get points," he added.

In 2017, Williams finished in fifth place in the Constructors' Championship but faces stiffer opposition this season as McLaren and Renault return to form while Haas has also made significant gains over the winter in its third season of competition. 

Formula 1: Force India qualifying pace worse than expected

30fa55d485e6555c61be372ad11fdb76.jpg

Sergio Perez admits Force India is "behind where we expected to be" after qualifying outside the top 12 with both its Formula 1 cars at the Australian Grand Prix.

Force India came to Australia hoping to make a decent step forward thanks to a substantial aerodynamic upgrade, but Perez and team-mate Esteban Ocon qualified 13th and 15th in Melbourne, though both will gain from a gearbox penalty for Valtteri Bottas.

"It's definitely behind where we expected to be," said Perez. "We thought we were going to be a bit closer to the fight, but we simply were not.

"That's what we've got at the moment - I think that lap and the balance I had was pretty strong, so unfortunately there is not something that we can fix quickly, it's simply where we are.

"It's a shame, but the season is long, and hopefully we can recover the pace of the car.

"We have been in this position before. Normally we are not the best team in Melbourne, but hopefully we can be the best one out of the rest by the time we are in Abu Dhabi."

62e375df03e01749188c5a8efb695c2d.jpg

Ocon said the upgrade package worked as expected, but simply didn't bring enough performance relative to Force India's midfield opposition.

"If we look at ourselves, the package did bring a performance gain, so that was a good step in practice, now we need some more to fight with the one in front," Ocon said.

"On our pure development, we did a good job this weekend, we just need a bit more.

"You have to be optimistic - it's not over, it's only the first race.

"Last year we were not great either here. There will be some tracks that will suit us more and last year it did come more towards us later in the season.

"There's 20 races to go and a race tomorrow, so we try to get the most here and come back stronger in the next race."

Bottas set for Melbourne gearbox change penalty after qualifying crash

77178123023e7a11ce0739198796d2c8.jpg

Valtteri Bottas is set to drop a further five places down the Australian Grand Prix grid after Mercedes confirmed his qualifying crash has damaged his Formula 1 car's gearbox.

The Finn made an error at Turn 1 on his first run in Q3, bouncing across the kerbs and losing control as he rejoined the track before swiping the barriers on the right hand side of the track.

The damage to the car was extensive and, although investigations by Mercedes after qualifying confirmed the chassis did not need replacing, his gearbox can no longer be used so a new one will need to be fitted.

That will mean Bottas moving down from his 10th place on the provisional grid to start 15th.

Speaking about his accident, Bottas explained the grass at Turn 1, which was damp after a morning downpour, had been a factor in the accident.

"I was carrying a lot of speed and I went wider than ideal, and definitely it was a bit damp where I was," he said.

"I got sudden wheelspin and I couldn't catch the rear any more or lift any more. It was my mistake.

"I just pushed too hard in that corner, trying to gain some time. That cost me Q3 and for us as a team a lot of extra work for tomorrow."

8115e799866aa41a5a901178ad0f1891.jpg

With a 27G impact recorded, Bottas was taken to the medical centre for a mandatory check but was given the all clear.

He said there should be no lingering effects from the incidents.

"It was quite a big hit and I'm glad everything's fine," he said. "There's no pain at the moment.

"In the moment it hurts a bit but I guess you earn that when you make a mistake like that.

"The car is not fine but hopefully it will be OK.

"Tomorrow, if we can get everything back together - obviously, [I'm] starting a bit far [back] to be really fighting for the win, but there's no point giving up on Saturday. Everything is still possible.

"We've seen we have a good car in qualifying as Lewis [Hamilton, who will start from pole] showed but we have a very good car for the race and I think anything's possible.

"Plenty of things can happen in the race. I had a race last season when I was one lap down and still ended up second, so you never know."

Pole lap 'wiped the smile off' Sebastien Vettel's face jokes Lewis Hamilton

jm1822ma209.jpg

Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel were the main title protagonists in 2017 with things getting heated on occasion and that rivalry doesn't look to have ended this season as the pair cheekily traded blows in the post-qualifying press conference.

The top three of Hamilton, Vettel and Red Bull's Max Verstappen were covered by less than a tenth after they completed their first runs in Q3 as things appeared to be neck-and-neck, only for Hamilton to improve by a massive eight-tenths to blitz the field and secure pole for the Australian Grand Prix.

A much lauded 'party mode' was championed as the reason for Hamilton's gain in the final minutes, but the Briton denied he had any such setting.

"I can assure you, we don’t have a party mode," he said. "I use the same mode from Q2 to the end of Q3. There was no extra button, there was no extra button that I engaged."

That led to some antics between Vettel and Hamilton with the latter joking that he saved his pole lap to "wipe the smile off" his rivals face.

"Then what were you doing before?" asked Vettel, to which Hamilton responded: "I was waiting to put a good lap in. Wipe the smile off your face!"

The quick comment failed to catch Vettel's attention until it was later repeated to him.

"I think he said it so quick the first time I didn’t get it, so now I got it, thanks for repeating it," added the Ferrari driver. "I think what goes around comes around. At the end of the day that’s why we’re here, we want to have fun. If that’s what he enjoys, obviously on Saturdays he’s doing pretty well.

"He’s free to have a party tonight and then hopefully Kimi and myself will have a party tomorrow."

To which Hamilton added: "Kimi parties all the time so..."

Raikkonen concerned by Mercedes speed

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_GettyImages-937259522-2-700x367.jpg

Kimi Raikkonen has said there is "an awful lot of work to be done" at Ferrari after witnessing Lewis Hamilton storm to pole position in Australia.

The Finn emerged as Hamilton's closest competitor in Q3, but there was a substantial six-tenth gap between the two who will start on the front row of the grid come Sunday.

"There's an awful lot of work to be done to improve in all areas," Raikkonen said.

"We were all unsure where we were compared to the others and if you look purely at the lap time difference, for sure, it's bigger than we wanted.

"I had one mistake in Q2 and lost one run, then obviously we had to do the first run in Q3 with tyres that had already done half a lap. For sure, things could be a bit better here and there.

"It was not straightforward with the weather in the morning and the disturbance in Q3. We'll have to see it in the next qualifying sessions."

ZETSCHE: FORMULA 1 IS ABSOLUTELY RELEVANT!

Dieter Zetsche

Mercedes have dominated Formula 1 four the past four years and in the wake of evidence from Melbourne on Saturday and on the eve of the new season, in which they could well do it all over again, the German company’s chairman Dieter Zetsche shared his enthusiasm for the sport.

Zetsche’s enthusiasm for his company’s Formula 1 programme is refreshing and motivating, coming at a time when dark clouds loom over the future of the sport.  

He wrote the following ‘season preview’ on his Linkedin blog:

“I don’t know if you are excited. I sure am. I have closely followed Formula 1 for decades now. But I suppose those of you who haven’t ever screamed at their TVs on race day while furiously running back and forth in the living room – may not completely understand.

“Experiencing the intense pressure in the pit lane, the extraordinary team effort and the emotional explosion when the race plan finally pays off at the finish line really got me hooked to this sport.

“Apart from my personal excitement, racing has always been an integral part of the Mercedes DNA. The first-ever car named “Mercedes” – after the daughter of Emil Jellinek by the way – was a 35 hp racer. A pure rocket … at the time.

“This weekend the Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One team and all the others will start the new Formula 1 season at the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne. As a CEO, I’m confident our team will make a strong run at its 5th drivers’ and constructors’ championship title in a row. As a fan, I wish to see a whole bunch of close and exciting races!

“Before this season kicks off is a good time for some reflection. People often ask me if Formula 1 is really still relevant. Isn’t it just a relic of the past given climate change, rising e-mobility and the self-driving future of mobility? I’m sure some of you have come over these discussions, too.

“From my perspective Formula 1 is absolutely relevant! And maybe more so today than ever. Here are three reasons why.

“First: Formula 1 is a prime R&D laboratory. Formula 1 racecars are the most connected cars out there. They are packed with sensors. In a 90-minute practice session, for example, the tire data alone equals the amount of data required for one full box set of Game of Thrones!

“Plus, in 2014 the entire Formula 1 series switched to hybrid engines. We were able to gather a lot of experience with advanced hybrid technology. Last year, our engine achieved 50 per cent thermal efficiency on the dyno – that means: today’s Mercedes Formula 1 engine is able to transform half of the energy of the fuel into on-track performance.

“Road cars typically have a thermal efficiency rate of 30 to 35 per cent. And you can be sure that we take all we learn on the racetrack to make Mercedes engines and cars even more efficient on public roads.

“Starting in 2019, for example, we will enter the fully electric “Formula E” series. This exemplifies our mantra of pursuing future technologies without leaving proven ones behind: We are sharing smarts and selling S-Classes.

“We’ll hand out up to 12 different Mercedes models a year at a fixed monthly rate – and will at the same time sell public transport tickets through our moovel app. We offer high-tech diesels, plug-in hybrids, EVs and fuel cells. And we will support both Formula 1 and Formula E.

“Next is culture. The number of staff allowed at the racetrack is limited to 60 engineers and mechanics. That means: every individual has to take full responsibility for their actions. Every individual can make a difference about winning or losing a race. And decisions are sometimes made on a thousandth-of-a-second basis.

“Here again motorsports teaches a lot about business: The Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport team wins and loses together – as a team. They don’t look for scapegoats. They look for solutions. If things go wrong – and things do go wrong – the team will strive to come back stronger in the next race. Every Sunday. Over and over again.

“In this respect Formula 1 mirrors the cultural change we are shaping throughout our entire company with our leadership 2020 program: We want more speed and flexibility, more empowerment and individual responsibility and a new understanding of winning and failing as a team – so we learn and come back stronger.

“Coming back stronger and putting in that last bit of effort required to take the trophy home in a close finish – that’s what makes my third and most important argument: pure emotion. More than 350 million people watched Formula 1 on TV in 2017: that’s a lot of people getting excited for a of couple hours every other weekend.

“Formula 1 plays on some of the most fundamental human emotions: passion (for your favorite team or driver), dislike (for the other teams), agony (over a lost race) or euphoria (when it goes well) – along with the sensory experience that comes from the speed of the cars and roar of the engines. Formula 1 can provide everything one needs for a perfectly entertaining weekend.

“All that’s why Mercedes keeps investing in racing. And it’s why I personally can’t wait for the new season to take off. I wish all drivers a safe and fair competition. And to our drivers and the entire Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport team: go for it, guys!”

Is is just me, or does passing other cars in the pit-lane seem a little like taking a shortcut?

If the cars on track are speed restricted, surely nipping through the unrestricted pit-lane is a wee bit cheaty?

Although, I do applaud the Dick Dastardly/Wacky Races spirit. ?

• Like 1