FORMULA 1

Sebastian Vettel targets ‘knocking Mercedes off throne’

jm1828oc427.jpg

Sebastian Vettel says Ferrari must try and “knock [Mercedes] off their throne” and strive to beat its opponent to this year’s Formula 1 Constructors’ Championship.

Vettel’s slender hopes of beating Lewis Hamilton to the Drivers’ Championship came to an end at Sunday’s Mexican Grand Prix, as his rival clinched the 2018 title.

But Ferrari can still overhaul Mercedes in the battle for the Constructors’ Championship.

Mercedes leads by 55 points with 86 up for grabs across the remaining two Grands Prix in Brazil and Abu Dhabi.

It means Ferrari must out-score Mercedes by 13 points at Interlagos next weekend in order to force a last-race decider at Abu Dhabi’s Yas Marina Circuit.

“There can only be one winner and he is the one that deserves is this year,” Vettel said of Hamilton.

“There are still a lot of lessons to learn and make sure that we make the right conclusions.

“I think one thing is clear: we are a very talented and gifted team. We have most support behind us, we have very, very talented clever people on board, we have huge potential, some still needs to be unleashed.

“But I think everybody’s fighting very hard, we are focusing to make sure we finish those two races this year in style.

“We [will] try and fight Mercedes for the Constructors’ and knock them off their throne maybe to give them a taste for next year.

“I think people back there [at Maranello] certainly deserve and I will try everything to score as many points for them as I can.”

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have said it many times over the years, the FIA need to appoint stewards that are the same people for EVERY race. I have always felt that some stewards are biased toward "some" drivers (Of cour

F1 needs a Friday program including testing or the race tracks are going to lose a lot of ticket sales.  As a TV viewer, I find the Friday practice sessions quite enjoyable.   On par with the rest of

WILLIAMS CONFIRM SIROTKIN TO RACE AND KUBICA RESERVE Russian rookie Sergey Sirotkin will race for Williams this season after being chosen ahead of Polish rival Robert Kubica on Tuesday in wh

Renault strengthens grip on fourth – but Carlos Sainz Jr misses out

jm1828oc715.jpg

Renault strengthened its grip on fourth position in the Constructors’ Championship, but there was more frustration for Carlos Sainz Jr.

Nico Hulkenberg finished in sixth position for Renault, albeit two laps down on winner Max Verstappen, enabling the manufacturer to move 30 points clear of Haas.

But the lead midfield honour could have gone to Sainz Jr., who was running in front of his team-mate when his R.S.18 suffered an electrical shutdown.

It marked the second time this season, after France, that Sainz Jr.’s hopes of heading the midfield fight have been thwarted by a reliability issue.

“It was a big shame,” said Sainz Jr. “We were leading the midfield comfortably and in contention for some good points and then, without warning, the car shut down.

“It’s really frustrating after making such a good start on lap one, but that’s racing.

“We’ve not had too many reliability issues this season, but when I have, it’s been when I’ve been leading the midfield, so that’s a bit of bad luck and coincidental for it to happen again.

“We’ll investigate the issue and move on. We’ll keep fighting, aim to score points at the last two rounds and look to secure fourth in the Constructors’ Championship.

“We deserved more, but at least Nico stayed in the points.”

Sainz Jr.’s exit elevated Hulkenberg to sixth place.

“We’ve had two very good weekends in a row with a lot of points,” he said.

“From my side, it was a very calm and solid race, albeit a little lonely to get ourselves through on a one-stop strategy.

“We had to manage the car and the tyres through the race and the whole team did a good job all weekend.

“It was a shame to lose Carlos, otherwise we could have had sixth and seventh again and another strong haul of points for the team.”

Stoffel Vandoorne 'super glad' as long F1 points drought ends

jm1827oc31.jpg

Stoffel Vandoorne labelled himself “super glad” as his lengthy points drought came to an end with eighth at Formula 1’s Mexican Grand Prix.

Vandoorne scored at three of the opening four Grands Prix of 2018 but failed to reach the top 10 either in qualifying or race trim thereafter, as he and McLaren struggled.

Vandoorne was again knocked out in Q1 on Saturday but undertook a one-stop strategy to rise into the points, moving up to eighth when Daniel Ricciardo retired late on.

The result also bolstered McLaren’s prospects of retaining sixth in the Constructors’ Championship, as rival Force India failed to score.

“We put a lot of preparation into this weekend, and we knew it was possible to score points here,” said Vandoorne.

“I’m super glad to finish P8 and score some points. It is important for us for the Constructors’ championship. 

“Ultimately, we made the tyres last for one stop.

“After lap one we were last, so it was a great recovery, some good overtakes on track, which were very crucial.

“Making the tyres last and finishing eighth was a great result for me and also for the team to score some points for the constructors.”

McLaren team-mate Fernando Alonso was an early casualty after his MCL33 suffered a water leak, ostensibly caused by the debris he picked up on the opening lap.

“I didn’t feel anything wrong with the car, but apparently some debris from [Esteban] Ocon’s car that was flying around hit our car in the wrong place and probably caused my DNF, which is one in a million case,” he said.

“I’ve been unlucky, and it’s okay as long as it’s not your mistake, in which case you take more time to get over it.

“These things happen, so let’s see if in the two last races we can have a bit more luck and see the chequered flag.”

Ferrari first to run ground-breaking 1400-hole brake disc

Ferrari first to run ground-breaking 1400-hole brake disc

Ferrari became the first Formula 1 team to run a new generation of brake discs at the Mexican Grand Prix, featuring an unprecedented 1400 holes to help cooling.

The unique high-altitude demands of Mexico, where teams struggle to keep temperatures of engines and brakes under control, was the perfect proving ground for the new disc that will be made available to all customers in 2019.

F1's brake suppliers have long balanced out increasing the number of holes to help cooling with the need for structural integrity of the disc itself.

Twenty years ago there were less than 30 big holes around the centre of the disc, and this number only increased dramatically around five years ago when drilling more than 100 holes was possible.

Ferrari SF71H front brake detail

Advances in technology have moved fast, however, and by two years ago Brembo had got up to 1200 – believing that to be a limit.

At the time Brembo's Andrea Algeri, F1 and open wheels customer manager, told Motorsport.com: "The cooling patterns proposed sometimes are quite good – but they don't take into account the resistance of the disc and the wear.

"The teams want a lot of holes but then want to have only 0.5 mm of wear possible. This kind of disc would be used for good results just in FP1, and then you would have to change it. So it is a just a compromise on the life of the disc that you can reach."

Progress has been possible, however, with the Brembo brake disc used in Mexico featuring seven distinct rows to reach the magical 1400 number.

Feature: Conclusions from the 2018 Mexican Grand Prix

jm1828oc340.jpg

Max Verstappen ruled once more at the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez as Lewis Hamilton’s status as World Champion for a fifth time was confirmed. Motorsport Week presents its winners and losers from Formula 1’s Mexican Grand Prix.

¡Maxico!

For 2018 read 2017: Lewis Hamilton clinched the world title without a podium finish as Max Verstappen provided a glimpse of the future by dominating the race. It was a well-deserved triumph for Verstappen, who has flourished through 2018 after a tough series of events in the opening third of the campaign. Verstappen has stressed that he has not changed, but there was a little hint that a slight tweak in approach has paid dividends. “My dad always told me in go-karting, back in the day, if I was maybe overdriving or something, he would always tell me “Max, even if you think you are not going fast enough, it’s still fast enough”,” he said. “So basically, for my feeling, I just backed it out a little bit and that seems to make me a bit faster.” Verstappen was braver on the brakes into Turn 1 and controlled a tyre-limited affair thereafter, even pushing for fastest lap, a throwback to the Sebastian Vettel approach that often infuriated Red Bull in 2013. It was a well-deserved win for Verstappen, his second of the campaign, and he is now within 20 points of third-placed Kimi Raikkonen in the standings. Aiming for wins, rather than the title, provides a difficult mindset, but the post-Monaco-spec Verstappen is surely now ready for a championship challenge. Let’s hope Red Bull-Honda can deliver.

Bittersweet Symphony

There was a bittersweet feeling to the Mexican Grand Prix for Mercedes, as Hamilton’s performance was one of his weakest of a peerless season, while the team also lacked pace, accentuated by tyre struggles. It led to Hamilton admitting he was “conflicted” at the celebrations, aware that the Constructors’ fight is as important, if not more important, for his team. It is a prestigious title and one on which bonuses rest too. It would need a disaster for Mercedes to be overhauled by Ferrari (it has a buffer of 55 with 86 up for grabs) but that is not a mindset that the team adopts. “We had a very bad race, we really struggled with the tyres, I don't think we actually switched the tyres on,” said Toto Wolff. “We don't know yet what the issue was, but we will dig deep.” Part of Mercedes’ strengths has been its reaction and application after defeats – most notably in Monaco last year, Austria in June, and Belgium in August. It has plenty of evidence from a lacklustre race in Mexico – but you’d be a brave person not to expect a strong fightback in Brazil.

jm1828oc459.jpg

Gracious in defeat

Athletes are sometimes remembered for their reaction to defeats as much as their victories (witness the everlasting respect earned by Felipe Massa 10 years ago), and only a handful of Formula 1 drivers have ever experienced the extinguishing of a dream. Vettel is not stupid – he knew the title was a long shot pre-Mexico – but as long as there was a chance, the chance was still there. Sunday’s race mathematically put paid to his ambitions, and he was gracious in defeat, magnanimous in his comments. “I told him well deserved and to enjoy it – number five is something incredible,” said Vettel. “I mainly congratulated him and asked him to keep pushing for next year, I need him at his best to fight him again.” Vettel later went to Mercedes’ engineering room to offer further congratulations and was met with a round of applause for his gesture. This year’s Formula 1 title battle has largely been fought with respect, and Vettel deserves enormous credit for his recognition of and attitude towards Hamilton and Mercedes in their moment of triumph – and his moment of dejection.

AP-1XBJEPA191W11_news.jpg

Ricciardo luckless, despondent, broken

In the context of Formula 1 history, six mechanical retirements in a year is not a lot. But in 2018 it is an enormous outlier. Daniel Ricciardo has had nearly a third of his races wrecked by a gremlin, several other weekends were also compromised, while even his dominant Monaco display was compromised by an MGU-K failure that cost him 160hp and left him sweating. Red Bull team-mate Verstappen has retired twice through a problem, the Mercedes duo and Kimi Raikkonen just once, while Vettel’s Ferrari has not broken down once. Ricciardo’s devastation, having been on course for second in a race where he bogged down from pole, was hampered by traffic and brilliantly managed a one-stop strategy, was completely understandable. “I honestly don’t know, where I am, I honestly don’t see the point of coming on Sunday, I don’t see the point in doing the next two races,” he said. “I haven’t had a clean race, weekend, in so long. I’m not superstitious or any of this bullshit but the car’s cursed… it won’t… I don’t know. No words. I don't know, the car's... I'll let [Pierre] Gasly drive it. I'm done with it." A podium is the least Ricciardo deserves from the last two races.

The Haves and the Have-nots

Nico Hulkenberg continued Renault’s mini-revival to score a healthy haul of points that has surely put fourth in the Constructors’ scrap out of Haas’ reach, while honours in that midfield category should have gone to team-mate Carlos Sainz Jr., who was superb until his R.S.18 shut down. Much has been made of the fact that 14 drivers are in effect fighting for seventh at each race (without retirements ahead), but Mexico marked a new low. The short lap and lack of Safety Car meant Hulkenberg came home two laps and 20 seconds behind Verstappen – in effect three minutes. That adds up to a rough deficit of 2.5 seconds per lap – and that’s the best midfielder! It also meant that even struggling desperately and in a complete cruise mode, Mercedes was assured of fourth and fifth. The sooner the regulations change to reduce the gap the better it will be for the health of the championship. It is now a ludicrous chasm. 

jm1828oc657.jpg

Top Stoff

That an eighth-placed finish is regarded as an outstanding result and display by a McLaren driver emphasises the team’s fall from grace, but Stoffel Vandoorne’s performance was highly impressive. Vandoorne was competitive – by 2018 standards – through the weekend, falling just a tenth shy of beating Fernando Alonso in qualifying, which proved the difference between Q1 and Q2. A terrible start hampered Vandoorne further but from there he stayed out of trouble and masterfully executed a one-stop strategy to move into eighth. It acted as a timely reminder of his inherent ability, and a case of ‘what might have been’ had his graduation to F1 not coincided with McLaren’s lowest ebb.

DisHaaster

Last year Haas struggled in qualifying in Mexico but its blushes were saved by Kevin Magnussen’s superb recovery to the points. This season there was no such repeat. Any hopes of points were gone due to an inability to get the most out of the Ultrasoft tyre, in a race which was ultimately dictated by the rubber. “The only good thing about this weekend is that it ended,” said team boss Guenther Steiner. “There’s nothing good to take away from here. We were just too slow and we couldn’t get the tyres to work.” If this week’s appeal against Romain Grosjean’s Monza exclusion does not fall in its favour then its lingering hopes of beating Renault to fourth will surely be over.

jm1828oc258.jpg

Home fans unrewarded

The fanatical home spectators cheered Sergio Perez’s every lap and mobbed him in the paddock at every turn, but such support went unrewarded after his VJM11 suffered a brake failure. It was a cruel blow and cost Perez a likely seventh, squandering what had been a fine drive from 13th. It also leaves Force India’s hopes of overhauling McLaren hanging by a thread. And the home fans couldn’t even switch allegiance to the other native Spanish-speaking drivers – both Sainz Jr. and Alonso had already had their races run.

Celebrity Voice Messages

No. Just no. Absolutely not. DJ sets post-podium? Yeah, that works. But next time let’s hear a driver celebrating clinching a world title as opposed to a cringe-fest of a message.

Newly-crowned five-time champion Lewis Hamilton by those who've known him - and raced him

image.jpg

Lewis Hamilton’s speed over one lap is just something else. With 81 pole positions to his name – the next best is Michael Schumacher on 68 – you could justify the Briton as being the fastest driver of all time. He’s still 20 shy of Schumacher’s win record of 91 – a feat that when it was achieved was viewed as unbeatable.

But having averaged 10 wins per season over the last five years and two seasons left on his contract, Hamilton is in a strong position to match it, particularly if Mercedes can maintain their current level of form.

“He has been the differentiator,” said Mercedes Team Principal Toto Wolff of his charge’s performance this year. Mercedes have not had the fastest car for much of this year and yet Hamilton has done with the car what only the greats are able to do – win against the odds.

No wonder Hamilton described this campaign, the 12th of his career, as his best season. He wrapped up the championship with two rounds to go, has shown supreme mental strength, avoided making the litany of mistakes that derailed his rival Sebastian Vettel’s title charge and has scored 15 podiums – of which nine were wins – in 19 races. That’s phenomenal consistency.

But Hamilton’s career hasn’t always been smooth sailing. He missed out on the championship in his rookie year in 2007 at the death, had an uncompetitive car for the second-part of his McLaren career and took a massive gamble leaving the team that had supported his career all the way to Formula 1 to join Mercedes at a time when they had scored just one win in four seasons on returning as a works squad.

To celebrate Hamilton’s incredible achievement, which moves him into the echelons with only Michael Schumacher and Juan Manuel Fangio as the drivers to have won five world championships or more, we hear from those who have watched or raced against him…

image.jpg

Nico Rosberg
2016 world champion
Active in F1 from 2006-2016, Hamilton’s team mate 2013-2016

“Five titles – unbelievable. It’s crazy to think – and equalling Fangio. He can seriously go for Schumacher's records now. He's got two more years on the contract, and Schumi is only two titles away, 20 race wins away, even that's possible in two years.

"It's amazing. He can really try to become statistically the best of all-time, which is unreal, but it is a possibility, and I'm sure he's going to be motivated by that.

"Mercedes and Lewis [were] getting everything perfect, it just completely went apart in a big way. That's why it's now such a big difference in the championship, and it's finished so early.

“He has the same speed as he showed in karting, he is just as difficult to beat in go-karting as he is in F1. There were some different aspects that came into it in F1, which I didn’t know from karting – his strength in the media and team internally. He’s quite instinctively strong.”

image.jpg

Sebastian Vettel
2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 world champion
Active in F1 from 2007-present, runner-up to Hamilton 2017 and 2018

“He drove superbly all year and was the better one of us two. So I told him well deserved and to enjoy it – number five is something incredible. I congratulated him and asked him to keep pushing for next year, I need him at his best to fight him again.

“There can only be one winner and he is the one who deserves it this year. Congratulations to Lewis. He was just the better man, full stop.

“He drove very consistently, he was very fast and they were able to use the advantage when we were maybe struggling but that’s a quality, not luck. He sealed the championship with two races to go and drove really well. Lewis is the hero of this year.”

image.jpg

Fernando Alonso
2005 and 2006 world champion
Active in F1 from 2001-present, Hamilton’s team mate 2007

“Lewis has showed the talent from day one, and fighting for the championship in his rookie year, winning in 2008. Probably at that time, we all agree that five or seven world championships will be possible. Then it was a little bit down due to the performance of the car for a couple of years.

“And then switching to Mercedes at that time, we all were thinking that maybe was not positive – because at that time Mercedes were struggling in 2013, and things like that.

“I’m happy for him because he showed the talent from day one. He was able to win races when the car was there to win it but he was able to win races in some of the seasons when the car was not in the top of the form, like 2009. It’s impressive – and now it’s time to enjoy for him, so I’m happy.

“Michael [Schumacher], [Juan Manuel] Fangio, [Ayrton] Senna, [Alain] Prost, Lewis - probably this will be the top five [in history] but it’s difficult to compare different times and different ways to win those championships.

“Lewis winning five now and being the same as Fangio is a great achievement and if one had to do that in our generation, I’m happy that it’s Lewis because he showed the talent and he showed the commitment.”

image.jpg

Daniel Ricciardo
Seven-time Grand Prix winner
Active in F1 from 2011-present, Hamilton’s rival 2011-present

“Certainly my competitive side will always believe that I’m the best and that in that car I can do the same thing, but I definitely give him all the respect and it’s definitely not a go at Lewis.

“He’s been pretty awesome at being able to do what he’s done continuously on track for the best part of a decade, but also done his own thing away from the track. For him to live the life he’s living but still keep up such a performance, all credit to him.

“Also this year people realised that you can have the fastest car but you have to be able to perform week in, week out. Seb, for the most part, has had a fast car all year.

“But when you’re fighting for the title it’s those little one percenters that Lewis has got on top of more often than him and that’s really what’s dictated the pace of the championship now.

“I give Lewis full respect - the talent’s always been there, the speed’s always been there, everyone knows that, but for him to maintain this level of intensity, this level of speed and commitment is pretty strong. I certainly have no problem with applauding him on that, he deserves it. He deserves that this year 100 percent."

image.jpg

Valtteri Bottas
Three-time Grand Prix winner
Active in F1 from 2013-present, Hamilton’s team mate 2017-present

“When I joined the team and got to know him a bit more, (it became clear) that he’s a very nice guy and he works hard. Maybe much harder than many people think.

“He is definitely very quick and what comes together for him to be quick is a long story with fine details, but he is obviously very experienced in Formula 1 and is still hungry for more which I think is the main thing.

“He has got the talent so I think from his first year in Formula 1 he has been performing well and has been able to build on that every year and to keep hungry to win more which has allowed him to do that. Every driver still has their weaknesses but some drivers have less of them.

“Being alongside him has been good for me to try and improve some of my weaknesses. I’m happy to be his team mate.

“He’s had another great season. He’s been strong all year, especially in the second half, and he hasn’t really had many setbacks this year, so he got a big amount of points and well done to him for the title; he really deserves it.”

image.jpg

Carlos Sainz
Active in F1 from 2015-present, Hamilton’s rival 2015-present

“Lewis is probably one of the biggest talents F1 has ever had. No one doubts that. He has been spot on with the timing of his decisions. Obviously there is a bit of luck, you cannot predict that you are going to win titles with Mercedes like he predicted.

“But he has been really smart and is a super talented to deliver all those world titles. Hats off because the way he is driving this year is also something very special. He is delivering always under pressure, with incredible results and laps.

“Probably this is the year that is making him be seen by all like the year that says he is one of the best ever. The way he has driven this year is a great example for all the youngsters like us.

“I speak with Lewis, actually more than I thought, and more than first expected. I have always had a good relationship with him. I sit with him in briefings quite a lot and we chat a bit about many things. He asked me about McLaren the other day, so you can see that he is also interested even if he doesn’t look like it.

“I remember here last year after the Austin race he came to me to tell me the good job I’d done on changing teams and delivering such a strong result. He is actually paying attention to what is going on around him and in the paddock. I have always had a lot of respect for him. He has also been respectful to me.”

image.jpg

Jacques Villeneuve
1997 world champion
Active in F1 from 1996-2006

“I think it’s his best season, where he has been the most focused all year and hasn’t put a foot wrong. He was aggressive when he needed to be and defensive when he needed to be. He chose his moments, he never made a mistake. When you hear him on the radio, he’s super focused.

“In my opinion, he’s better than Michael Schumacher. He’s very positive and rarely negative. He respects his rivals and they respect him. It is an impressive quality. It is how every champion should be. This year, he has simply been unbelievable.

“He’s a complete driver. He’s always been in the best car, but he chose to be there. He took the risk of jumping from McLaren to Mercedes. He’s always improving. He didn’t allow himself to become lazy, like some others have done.”

image.jpg

Toto Wolff
Mercedes Team Principal, worked with Hamilton since 2013

“[Perhaps his biggest strength is] keeping his calm and holding his nerve. We had times when the car was good enough to win and times when the car was not good enough to win. But he was very stable.

"[He has] the ability of combining talent with hard work, intellect and emotional intelligence. All great champions have all four of them. If one is missing, you can still be a successful racing driver but you are never going to achieve this greatness.

“As long as he is in a good car and continues to enjoy it in the way he does today, there is more to come.

"But the reason he has won the fifth championship is that he concentrates on the job in hand and does not look too far away. Because before you win a seventh there is a sixth to win, and we haven't scored a single point for that one.

“This is the best Lewis I’ve seen in the last six years. He’s driven better, he’s been better out of the car. Very, very complete. But as we try to reach for more it’s never completely complete.”

• Like 2

HAMILTON: IT HAS BEEN THE HARDEST SEASON FOR ME

M178448.jpg

Despite sealing the 2018 Formula 1 World Championship with two rounds remaining, Lewis Hamilton is adamant that this was his toughest season in the top flight and acknowledged that without his Mercedes team constantly delivering he would not be a five times world champion today.

In an interview released by Mercedes, Hamilton explained, “People watching only ever see the tip of the iceberg. When you see someone successful on TV, it’s obviously without a full description of what they have done to get to where they are. You just see the success that they are having now.”

“To perform this way this year – trust me – it has been the hardest season for me. To keep raising the bar and racing against a four-time World Champion in a really incredible team who were so fast this year – most of the time faster than us – and to have pulled together as a team and turned it around has been a real collective effort from everyone.”

“So I am really proud of everyone. Honestly, I never stopped believing – that’s just how I am wired. I truly believed from the beginning of the year, even when we had difficult races such as Shanghai or Montreal. I never for a moment doubted or lost belief in this team, in my guys or in myself.”

Five titles put him firmly among the greats, only the legendary Michael Schumacher has more titles  and victories than the Briton.”

Hamilton added, “I think it is going to take some time to really digest everything that has happened, I am just really proud. After the race, I was with the engineers, and we all had a drink together. It was so great to see them all.”

“Everyone is so united, everyone has worked so hard this year, and everyone has raised their game. I just want to be the best me I can for them. I truly believe I am only a chink in the chain, because there are so many of us.”

“Without every single individual, it just doesn’t happen. The chain wouldn’t move. I am just proud that I was able to deliver in my space. It has been a long journey with them.”

“I have been in this team for six years now. From day one, the day that I decided to join this team, I truly believed that something great was possible. Look what we have achieved together. Now we need to complete the job this year by winning the constructors’ championship.”

Mercedes are 55 points ahead in the constructors’ race with Ferrari closing the gap a little in recent races. With the Reds enjoying a strong return to form, while the Silver Arrows seem to have lost some of their punch it is not a given that the tenth title in five years will go their way.

Asked how he celebrated his latest championship triumph, Hamilton replied, “I got back to Los Angeles, where my dogs were. I worked nonstop and had meetings all day on Monday. But I had dinner with a bunch of friends to celebrate.”

“In general, I just feel content. I don’t need anything. I just want to enjoy and harness the feeling and try to realise what it is that I have done. Because to me, it was just another day of racing which I am really grateful for.”

“When you think of Fangio, who is for me the godfather of racing drivers, he had five World Championships, and now I have five as well. But it doesn’t connect at the moment. It doesn’t feel real, but I am humbled and grateful to all the people around me, because there have been a lot of them along the journey,” added Hamilton.

• Like 1

RAIKKONEN: F1 WOULD BE MUCH BETTER WITHOUT MEDIA BULLSH!T

KimiRaikkonenF1GrandPrixUSA-tZrnxSFzH1x.jpg

Kimi Raikkonen has never been a friend of the media, the veteran Finn accuses them of damaging Formula 1 with too much “bullshit” reporting and gossip stories that impact the sport at the highest level.

In an interview this week, Raikkonen said, “People always complain: Oh F1 is not exciting, it’s not this. Or something like: Why are people not interested so much?”

“But to be honest, I think how much bullshit there is in the media, and stories and gossips and stuff – if that wouldn’t be that much, I think F1 would be much better.”

“People try to create so much nonsense, that it actually starts harming F1. I think if there would be less nonsense and more actual things that are true, and this and that, it would be better for F1 in many ways.”

In his book ‘The Unknown Kimi Raikkonen’ the 2007 Formula 1 World Champion had a stab at how the sport is reported in the modern media era, “I don’t quite see why, with twenty races a year, they’ve got to ask about the previous race every Thursday [mandatory FIA Press conference] and, on Friday, about the free practice.”

“They look at the results of Friday’s practice and ask why you were eighth, seventh or sixth when it’s of no importance. They create headlines out of the free practice results, though the pole won’t be decided until Saturday. And the actual race takes place on Sunday,” lamented Raikkonen.

• Like 1

VERSTAPPEN: VETTEL, RICCIARDO AND I WOULD WIN TITLES IN HAMILTON’S MERC

Lewis Hamilton, Max Verstappen

Max Verstappen won the Mexican Grand Prix in commanding style, on the same Sunday Lewis Hamilton wrapped up his fifth Formula 1 World Championship a feat which the Dutchman believes any of the top drivers would have been capable of had they a Mercedes at their disposal.

Speaking to Blick after his mighty win in Mexico, Verstappen was asked what made Lewis Hamilton such a force in Formula 1, to which the 21-year-old replied without hesitation: “His car!”

And added, “Of course he is extremely good. But even Vettel can win in his car, Ricciardo can also win in his car – and I can win titles in his car.”

Indeed Hamilton has had an enormous run of success in the Mercedes, winning four of his five titles with the Silver Arrows and racking up an impressive 50 grand prix victories since he joined them in 2013 – more than Vettel, Verstappen and Ricciardo have managed combined.

Recently Fernando Alonso also suggested that just about any top driver could win the title with the Mercedes.

STEWART: I THINK SEBASTIAN HAS PASSED HIS PEAK

SebastianVettelF1GrandPrixGermanyPreviews6C5wRJsgCYpx.jpg

Sebastian Vettel was the architect of his own destruction in this year’s Formula 1 World Championship, too many mistakes cost the Ferrari driver what could have been his fifth title prompting Sir Jackie Stewart to suggest the German may be past his best.

Vettel’s error-strewn season was not helped by his team who more than once shot themselves in the foot and as a result, the Reds have had to watch Lewis Hamilton’s celebrations after the title was decided at the Mexican Grand Prix.

In the wake of Sunday’s race,  Stewart told Bild, “I think Sebastian has passed his peak and Lewis is still progressing. I add that there is no reason Sebastian cannot come back, but it will be harder for him after such a season he will become more critical of himself.

Asked if success came too soon for Vettel in Formula 1, Stewart reasoned, “Maybe. He came into Formula 1 at the age of 20 and was four times champion between the ages of 23 and 26 years. If you are less successful at a young age, you stay ambitious by setting yourself goals.”

“His natural talent was so great and now he causes these collisions. You cannot constantly blame everyone else. If you fight for a world championship and you see, there could be a problem for you, then you cannot stab at it, you must wait for the right moment.”

“I really like him very much, he is a very good driver, very emotional and technically maybe he is still the best, but he no longer appears to have that clinical mind like he used to.”

“Lewis, on the other hand, continues to develop as a driver, add to that his success and he can be more relaxed,” added Stewart.

Vettel has enjoyed unofficial ‘number one’ status at Maranello since his arrival in 2015, stats show that more often than not the German got the better of veteran teammate Kimi Raikkonen in the sister car.

Next year there will be changes at the Scuderia, highly-rated Charles Leclerc steps up to Ferrari to partner Vettel, setting the stage for an intriguing battle between the French young gun and the German elder statesman.

By this time next year, we will know if Sir Stewart is correct in his assessment that Vettel is now over the hill…

HORNER: CREDIT WHERE CREDIT’S DUE RENAULT ENABLED US TO WIN

horner-marko-verstappen.jpg

In rare words of praise for their engine supplier, Red Bull team chief Christian Horner acknowledged that Renault provided Max Verstappen with the package to do the business at the Mexican Grand Prix on Sunday.

On Saturday after qualifying, Daniel Ricciardo headed an all blue front row for the first time since 2013 as the energy drinks outfit set the pace all weekend at Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez.

Speaking in the aftermath of the race in Mexico, Horner acknowledged, “Credit where credit’s due. Renault provided us with an engine this weekend in these conditions that was competitive with our opponents.

“That’s enabled us to go head-to-head, lock out the front row of the grid and win the grand prix in a dominant fashion. Theoretically, we should have had a one-two here.

“The altitude of this circuit does constrain some of our rivals and it puts Renault into a window where they are competitive. Which is why we put an awful lot of focus into this race in taking the penalties to get another B-Spec into the pool, to have for this weekend.”

Although Verstappen was untouchable in the race, he was pipped by a mere 0.026 of a second by his teammate Ricciardo in qualifying, much to the latter’s delight and the Dutchman’s annoyance.

“You could see that he was pretty upset about it,” explained Horner. “It wasn’t the best second run in Q3 and it was an outstanding lap from Daniel. I think it played on Max’s mind.”

“From the moment he turned up [on race day] you could see there was only going to be one guy coming through Turns 1/2/3 in the lead. As soon as he emerged from the first three corners with the lead, the rest of it he controlled brilliantly.”

In the end, it was a bittersweet Sunday for Red Bull as Verstappen bagged the winner’s trophy for his efforts, but his teammate endured a ninth DNF when his clutch packed up on the #3 car.

“It looks like a clutch issue that looking at the data probably started around lap six. It looks similar to the issue Max had on Friday. They need to quarantine it all and get it back to the UK to understand, but that’s what is looking like the culprit,” added Horner.

Red Bull and Renault enjoyed a dominant partnership that netted them eight tiles between 2010 and 2013, but since the advent of F1’s turbo hybrid era they have enjoyed occasional victories but have never reached the giddy heights of their Sebastian Vettel era.

Since the relationship has deteriorated beyond repair as matters hit rock bottom, only FIA intervention obligated Renault to supply the team, albeit reluctantly.

Inevitably they finally agreed to a divorce which will come into effect when the lights go out a Yas Marina Circuit after this season’s finale. Red Bull embarking on what will be their Honda-era.

• Like 1

Why Ferrari ditching Fernando Alonso cost it two titles

jm1824ju416.jpg

The Mexican Grand Prix as expected was one of resolution; Lewis Hamilton got over the line for his latest world drivers’ championship. And the many implications of this – what this tells us about Hamilton’s skillset; where he fits in Formula 1’s historical pantheon – were pored over.

Yet one implication largely escaped comment, to do with the vanquished runner-up Sebastian Vettel. For his Ferrari team it now will be 12 years at least without a drivers’ title; most probably it will be at least 11 without a constructors’ crown (it’s currently 55 points behind Mercedes with 86 available).

It’s not quite Ferrari’s all-time drought of 21 years between Jody Scheckter’s 1979 championship and Michael Schumacher’s in 2000, nor the 16 without constructors’ titles between 1983 and 1999. But it’s going that way. Lest we forget this is F1’s most famous and likely its most lavish team.

What makes the numbers even more striking is that Ferrari alone has been ‘up there’ for pretty much all of that period. Mercedes only leapt to competiveness in 2014; McLaren fell away; Red Bull since 2014 has been hamstrung by its engines. Ferrari of course doesn’t have that excuse. Furthermore in recent years it’s effectively been in a championship of two. Almost by law of averages you’d expect it would have nabbed a crown at some point.

Vettel and Ferrari’s situation remains immeasurably better than that of the guy Vettel replaced at the Scuderia at the end of 2014, whose final acts as an F1 driver are entering the farcical. For Fernando Alonso, the McLaren in Mexico again was nowhere even though the altitude meant its Renault power unit for once was the thing to have. Alonso hauled his mount to 12th on the grid, but for the second time in a week his race was over almost before it started.

Sympathy for Alonso is hardly universal of course; we hear repeatedly that he has brought all this on himself.

Yet are we looking down the wrong end of the telescope? Rather than Alonso denying himself opportunities for success, is it not the case that Ferrari has denied itself two world championships by chasing Alonso out the door?

As for all that Vettel can with justification point at Ferrari being left behind by Mercedes in the development war at a crucial part of this season, it’s equally undeniable he compromised his chances with mistakes. More so than you might think, as a recent analysis eliminating Vettel’s errors had him leading the table by a whole 24 points heading into the Mexico round. Add the Mexico result and he’d be 30 clear with 50 remaining. The title would be his with two trouble-free runs.

Of course such things don’t have 100% efficacy; we can never say with certainty what would have happened in an alternate reality. But it can work either way – who’s to say Mercedes and Hamilton under this additional ‘scoreboard pressure’ may not have dropped more points?

Last year too there was a similar tale. Vettel lost the title by 46 points. He again can legitimately point at Ferrari being left behind on development in the autumn; that time there was unreliability too. But his notorious Singapore startline error cost him a 32 point swing at least, probably more given it also accounted for two cars that likely would have finished between him and Hamilton, while his Baku error cost him 13.

Martin Brundle and David Coulthard both take the view that Alonso in a Ferrari would have won the 2017 title; presumably similar goes for this year’s. Alonso’s not completely beyond mistakes of course, but his relentless maximising of results is a key part of his reputation.

“Sebastian’s a great driver,” a Ferrari insider told Nigel Roebuck at Monza, “but he’s not Fernando...”

Plus for all the ‘he brought it on himself’ trope takes Alonso’s ditching by Ferrari as read it’s also worth asking what exactly Alonso did to merit being dropped? On closer inspection it’s not at all clear.

Various suggestions were floated at the time – that Ferrari wasn’t happy with his wandering eye; or with his reluctance to commit long-term; or with his bigging himself up (more than he bigged up his team) in his public pronouncements. But even if it’s any or all of these they hardly strike as an insurmountable problem. Perhaps, some suggested less flatteringly to Ferrari, it was a political play by the short-lived Ferrari team boss Marco Mattiacci to demonstrate that he, not the ‘de facto leader’ Alonso, was in charge.

So with all this the bottom line could be said to be that Ferrari’s given up two world championships because it decided Alonso was ‘a bit difficult’ internally. It’s beyond me how anyone can think this is a smart move. It strikes me instead as a dereliction of duty.

F1 it appears in recent times developed an immensely reductive definition of how a driver should be. Polished; polite; PR-perfect; unfailingly team-orientated. But is this really the best way? What about the resultant waste of talent, and by extension the extent that teams are compromising success in the aim instead of what should be a secondary consideration of off-track harmony?  Particularly as the relationship between talent and having a tricky personality likely isn’t coincidence, given getting that good is likely a corollary for having an independent personality in the first place.

It wasn’t always this way either. Rewind to the early 1990s when Ayrton Senna and Nigel Mansell were two of the three drivers who ruled the F1 roost (the other was Alain Prost, who also wasn’t above politicking). Both astonishingly skilled; both a nightmare to coexist with.

“His continual criticism of the team while out of the cockpit...was irksome in the extreme,” observed scribe Alan Henry of Senna at the end of the 1992 season, during which the thrice world champion had been extremely vocal that he should be allowed to ditch McLaren for Williams. “Ayrton was so driven, so insecure, so paranoid and so everything else,” added Gordon Kimball, who among many other things was a McLaren engineer in Senna’s time. “Ayrton accomplished a lot but he was a very difficult character.”

Then there was Mansell. “It’s not breaking any new ground to say that the guy is hugely confrontational,” said Patrick Head of his then-charge. “That was part of what made him so good, but he wears his competitiveness on his sleeve – doesn’t rein it in, in any way at all. It’s there the whole time.

“He also has a very strong persecution complex, and thinks everyone is trying to shaft him at all times. So you had an environment of strain whenever Mansell was around, and on a day-to-day basis that became extremely wearing. However, that was his way of getting the job done, and that he undoubtedly did.”

It didn’t stop anyone employing them either. Then the attitude, as outlined, is that you took the talent and the results and dealt with the rest. And you know what? That strikes me as the most sensible way. Even the only sensible way.

Other sports also wrestle with this question of how to handle the talented but not all that team-orientated. It was discussed on a recent cricket podcast that I listened to, and there was near unanimity on the best approach. “You have to somehow put the ball in their court and make out as if they are guiding the team themselves and part of the decision making themselves, and not ostracise them,” said former England captain Nasser Hussain.

“You do have to give your mavericks a little leeway and let them be. [Mike] Brearley handling [Ian] Botham was a classic case of that, he let him be, let him be Ian Botham and he delivered on the field for them.”

And on the question of what to say to team-mates who questioned why this one person should get special treatment, Rob Key retorted, “I’ll tell you why Ian Botham’s allowed to do that because he’s that much better than you, and performs better than you.” Though they did accept that such dual running was harder to sustain when times were bad, as in those circumstances people tended to then point at it as a problem.

Cricket has its own high profile recent example of the England team early in 2014 ditching Kevin Pietersen as more trouble than he was worth – individualistic, egotistical, outspoken, unwilling to accept authority – even though he remained to the very end the team’s top run scorer.

“They were a happier side, definitely,” Hussain noted of England post-Pietersen. “Were they a better side? Have they ever replaced Kevin Pietersen?” Indeed – the consensus since is that England’s test batting strength has never recovered.

There are problems with the Alonso-Ferrari alternate universe of course. Were Alonso still at the Scuderia his stint would by now have lasted nine years, a stay that would out-stretch all Maranello stays aside from Michael Schumacher’s – which had consistent success to sustain it. In that time there would have been plenty of opportunities to fall out, particularly given the driver and team we’re talking about. As previously discussed Ferrari has always felt it necessary to dump its lead drivers periodically, for reasons that only have vague acquaintance with the said driver’s ability or results.

But still for all we wonder whether in his final F1 career throes Alonso looks back and regrets his career decisions, you wonder if his former employer should as well. Two titles in exchange for a little more internal aggro seems a swap any F1 team should take.

• Like 1

Valtteri Bottas partnership 'greatest' in F1 history - Lewis Hamilton

M178418.jpg

World Champion Lewis Hamilton believes his partnership with Valtteri Bottas at Mercedes is the “greatest in terms of respect and team work” in the history of Formula 1.

Bottas joined Mercedes at the start of 2017 in place of retired World Champion Nico Rosberg, and Hamilton has gone on to take the title in both years alongside the Finn.

Hamilton believes the manner in which Bottas conducts himself, both on- and off-track, has been influential in his own title success in 2018.

“One of the most difficult moments of the year was in Russia for me,” said Hamilton.

“Being at the core of me I want to win the race, by winning the race.

“Being let by in Russia was a horrible feeling for, I would say, I think everyone in the team felt it. I think also for Valtteri it was not a great feeling.

“We have such a huge respect for each other. I see how hard he works, he sees how hard I work, we don't play games in between to try to throw off the guy.

“In actual fact, we work together. There are times where I’ve figured something out in my set-up and I’ll tell [him] and there are times that I can talk to him and be open.

“It’s the greatest partnership in terms of respect and teamwork from drivers that I’m sure has ever existed in Formula 1 probably."

Hamilton added that Bottas started the 2018 season "really strong" but was on the receiving end of some misfortune.

“This year definitely there have been times when he has been fundamental in us winning races," said Hamilton.

“Ultimately, the team don’t care which driver wins, so there are scenarios where he could have been up ahead and I’m the second driver and I needed to play my role.

“My goal, in my mind, was “OK, I’ve got to make sure I’m always ahead”. If it comes to a point that you need someone to support, it’s Valtteri.

“This year, he started out really strong and then he had some really difficult races.

“I think Baku, for example, was a huge hit for him. He deserved that win and then he got that tyre blow up.

“I’m very, very grateful to him as a team-mate and for the help that he has given me in achieving this incredible dream so a big, big thank you to him.”

• Like 1

Ericsson was left "fuming" by Sauber tactics

Ericsson was left

Marcus Ericsson revealed he had been left "fuming" at being asked to sacrifice his Mexican Grand Prix to help teammate Charles Leclerc – before recovering to the points.
The Sauber driver was asked to extend his opening stint on hypersoft tyres to help protect teammate Leclerc ahead – even though doing so cost him valuable time as his rubber was finished.

A slow pit stop relegated Ericsson to the back of the field but he recovered to classify ninth, just two spots behind Leclerc, marking the first time since 2015 he reached the points in successive Grands Prix.

Although later delighted at what he thought was one of his best drives in F1, Ericsson said he had been far from impressed during the race when it appeared that all hopes of a points finish had been taken from him.

“I was really fuming in the car,” explained Ericsson about the order to hold back other cars to help Leclerc build a gap. “[I was] really getting frustrated… I know we had to work for the best of the team, but for me it was a bit extreme.

“I felt I had thrown away my race which was very frustrating. But my second stint saved it and I am really really proud of it. With all these things, to still finish ninth and beat all these cars is quite incredible.”

With Sauber locked in a tight fight with Toro Rosso in the constructors’ championship, and knowing starting on hypersofts would put it on the backfoot in the race, Ericsson’s move to hold back pursuers was essential for helping the outfit in its charge for points.

“The plan was to just help Charles’ race,” he explained. “I was sacrificing my race totally to help him.

“I wanted to box many laps earlier as I knew I was throwing away my race, but for the team and Charles I had to keep these cars behind to help him open up the gap. So I did that for the team, but it was frustrating because it felt like I threw away my chance of points.”

Ericsson added that he was pleased Leclerc had acknowledged the assistance he had been given as he took a seventh place that helped Sauber move ahead of Toro Rosso in the standings.

“I’ve always been a team player, I’ve always done everything for the team. I always put the team first and that is one of my abilities that people value a lot and I will always do that,” added Ericsson.

“I think I did that in a very big way and even Charles acknowledged that. He even thanked me after the race, that without me he would not have been able to do that race.”

Bottas says qualifying gain key to beating Hamilton

Bottas says qualifying gain key to beating Hamilton

Valtteri Bottas believing that lifting his game in Formula 1 qualifying will be key to helping him beat Lewis Hamilton in the future.
Although a run of misfortune at the start of this season cost him wins and derailed his championship campaign, the Finn has also struggled at times to match his Mercedes teammate.

But he remains adamant that small detail improvements will make a big difference in the future, and believes that if he can focus on stepping it up in qualifying then that could change things a lot.

"Especially with the way Formula 1 is nowadays, I need to improve my performance in qualifying if I want to try and beat Lewis," Bottas told Motorsport.com in an exclusive interview.

"He's a very good qualifier and, if he's starting ahead in the race, then he always has the upper hand. And what qualifying is all about is fine details and many things need to come together. So I just need to keep working on all the details."

Bottas thinks this season has been closer between him and Hamilton that it has looked from the outside, and early bad luck like in Baku where he was set for the win before suffering a puncture impacted his season greatly.

"I think the first half of the year I think the luck wasn't on my side," he said. "I think performance wise, we've been quite close.

"And then afterwards, once we realized I'm not fighting for the title any more, then we've seen different situations, like Russia. So then it's impossible for me to fight for the championship."

Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes AMG F1

Bottas accepts there are areas where Hamilton is better, but also says that there are aspects to his driving where he has the edge, or there is nothing to separate the pair.

"You know, he's strong in all the areas. I think in some areas we are similar, and in some areas he's better.

"There has been many times, especially earlier in the season, when I beat him in the qualifying, and also at the end of last year.

"There was Sochi, and Austria. So yeah, sometimes I can have the upper hand. There's always some corners that he's quicker, some corners that I'm quicker, some corners that there's minimal difference."

Bottas is convinced that he can deliver a better season with Mercedes in 2019, during a campaign where Esteban Ocon will be pushing hard to prove that he should be given a shot for 2020.

Asked about how he approaches the Ocon situation, Bottas said: "It doesn't worry me, because I know what my situation is. It's with the team, we've a very good team spirit. And I'm getting better with the team all the time.

"The team knows what I'm capable of. They know what I will be capable of in the future if I keep developing at this rate, so no, I'm not worried. And I know that if I can achieve my goals then there is not going to be any speculation next year."

How F1 teams coped with Mexico's unique tech demands

How F1 teams coped with Mexico's unique tech demands

The Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez circuit is an outlier on the Formula 1 calendar. Held at altitude, it’s a massive challenge for the teams and the drivers as it requires a totally different approach.

If the circuit existed at sea level, teams would likely run a low-medium downforce configuration. But the rarefied air, which is less dense and starved of oxygen, means they all run close to their highest downforce packages.

This puts an emphasis on cooling too, with teams forced to run with their most open configuration.

Williams FW41 cooling comparsion Hungarian GP and Mexican GP

In Williams’ case (above), this meant an even larger cooling outlet at the rear of the car, as it looked to speed up the extraction of warm air and help the power unit stay within its tolerances.

Williams was not the only team to run a gigantic cooling outlet at the rear of the car though as, from an aerodynamic perspective, there was not as much of a drag penalty from doing so as there would be at other venues.

Mercedes F1AMG W09 cooling

Mercedes met the challenge in a similar fashion as to how it has done at venues earlier in the campaign, utilizing a novel open-top chimney style cooling outlet on its engine cover.

This helps it keep the main rearward cooling outlet as compact as possible and limits any airflow disturbance that may reduce downforce.

Mercedes W09 cockpit cooling panel comparison

Mercedes tried to run as little cooling as possible on the cockpit’s shoulder this year, with the aperture opened up as part of the halo’s installation often considered enough. However, James Allison openly admitted it was struggling on Friday and had to make some sacrifices.

“We were overheating the power unit in a number of areas today, and that meant we had to protect against this by turning it down as a precaution,” he said.

For qualifying and the race, the team utilised the larger, louvred panel. This allowed the internals to breathe more freely as part of a wider scheme used to improve the power unit’s output.

Ferrari SF71H brake discs

The rarefied air also poses a significant challenge when it comes to braking efficiency, with temperatures often climbing into the danger zone.

It was the perfect place then to test a new solution, with Brembo entrusting Ferrari with the task, as it focuses on a new disc design for all of their customers in 2019.

The new design features a seven-row chevron drill pattern across the disc, rather than the six, in order to dissipate the almost 1000° C that can be generated under braking.

It’s a breakthrough that was first made possible when the regulations were changed in 2017 to allow teams to run discs that are 32mm wide, rather than 28mm. This extra space was enough for Brembo to increase its cooling capacity quite significantly.

Making further gains from the drill pattern has been a challenge, with the manufacturer having to carefully consider the resistance of the disc, its structural integrity and the wear level.

Strategy Report: Why Mexico was no ordinary Grand Prix

Strategy Report: Why Mexico was no ordinary Grand Prix

James Allen analyses the Mexican Grand Prix, where high altitude played havoc with Formula 1’s pecking order and Red Bull leapt ahead of both Mercedes and Ferrari. This was a race that kept the strategists on their toes throughout.
“It’s not going to be straightforward to the end, Max…” That was the message from Max Verstappen’s engineer as he led in Mexico.

And it applied to every single one of the cars in the field; a race where every car up to fifth is lapped, and the world champion is crowned by finishing in fourth place 78 seconds adrift of the winner, is no ordinary Grand Prix.

Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing, 1st position, celebrates in Parc Ferme

It demonstrated how being patient was the order of the day in Mexico; managing the car, the tyres, brakes and temperatures. Everything is on the limit unless you are running in clear air. This generation of F1 cars really struggle around Mexico and, as with Melbourne, to get two cars to the finish is no mean feat.

It’s not very glamorous, but resisting the temptation to push was the strategy for success and not everyone followed it.

Held at altitude and on a day when only the best-balanced cars can keep the tyres from damage and still manage to run at pace, this was a result that had been coming for some time for Red Bull and Max Verstappen.

race-winner-max-verstappen-re-1.jpg

Red Bull shines as Mercedes struggles

The US Grand Prix hinted at what was to come in this race; Mercedes struggling with an imbalance, the quality of the Red Bull chassis, looking after the tyres better than the opposition.

No-one had the clear road map for this race, with six different strategies in the top 10 finishers and the three top teams using different strategies on each of their two cars!

Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes AMG F1 celebrates with his team

In the circumstances, Lewis Hamilton did well to bring his car home in fourth to win his fifth world championship, especially as teammate Bottas had to make a third stop – and was lapped – as Mercedes struggled with all three of the tyre compounds used in the race.

The local fans were denied a strong result for their hero Sergio Perez, whose every overtake was cheered and who was making great progress from 13th on the grid on a reverse strategy, starting on supersoft tyres – even getting a boost from a pit stop under a Virtual Safety Car – but was forced to retire with a brake problem.

Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing RB14, passes Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari SF71H

Verstappen vs Ferrari

Verstappen’s determination to win this race, after losing out by a fraction on pole to his teammate, was evident from the way he launched his car down the longest run from a start-line in F1 and insisted on his line into Turn 1 against Hamilton.

His execution was perfect, as was the way he managed the fragile ultrasoft tyres in the first stint. Around a third of the way into the race, he was given the “it’s not going to be straightforward to the end” message, given the unpredictability of the tyres. But if we think back to Austin a week earlier, the Red Bull had been the only front running car that could run the second stint on supersoft tyres, whereas his rivals all had to use soft, so the pointers were all there.

Red Bull pitted Verstappen a second time on Lap 48, the leader having the unique luxury of a new set of supersoft tyres to move on to. Ferrari had overcommitted to hypersoft tyres in their selection for this race, and Mercedes didn’t have a new set of supersofts for Hamilton as he had given them back after FP1. So when Mercedes was forced to make a second stop, it only had ultrasoft tyres to fit, which constrained their strategy as they couldn’t switch to that tyre too early and risk them dropping off in performance before the end.

Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes-AMG F1 W09

So Hamilton had to wait until Lap 47 for some new tyre relief. He had found it hard not to push and to clinch the title in a glorious way.

In contrast, when Red Bull inspected the tyres that had come off Verstappen’s car, they could see that they still had plenty of life left in them and so they decided to leave his teammate Ricciardo out on a one-stop strategy, which would ultimately have bagged him a podium ahead of Raikkonen, who was on the same plan but some way behind.

Sadly, Daniel Ricciardo’s race ended prematurely with a mechanically-induced retirement, otherwise he would have managed a 57-lap stint on supersofts.

Marcus Ericsson, Sauber C37, battles with Sergio Perez, Racing Point Force India VJM11

Perez goes for glory, but Sauber had the best plan

Sergio Perez’s early long run in supersofts had indicated to teams that once the initial painful phase of graining had passed, the tyre was durable. The Mexican went 30 laps in the opening stint before pitting under a Virtual Safety Car for what was set to be a 38-lap run on ultrasofts to the flag. His battle was with Charles Leclerc and Sauber for seventh place and it would have been a good duel to the end.

Pushing as hard as Perez did was not good for reliability. It was such a knife edge for the drivers to manage the tyres, the brakes and the cooling at the highest race on the F1 schedule.

Force India should have been ahead of Sauber on the grid, but chose not to contend for Q3, so they could have an open strategy. This looked a mistake, as was scrubbing their set of ultrasoft tyres. Its drivers got stuck in the train behind Marcus Ericsson and Perez felt that in front of his home fans he needed to put on a show and he paid a price. Perez was trying to overcut Ericsson, but the Swede made him and the other midfielders pay in the early stages of the race.

Marcus Ericsson, Sauber C37 and Sergio Perez, Racing Point Force India VJM11 battle

Seeing what the supersoft was doing on Perez’s car, several other teams went that route on the second stint, including Renault with Nico Hulkenberg, who bagged an excellent sixth place and Sauber with Leclerc in seventh and Ericsson in ninth – the team’s first double points score of the season and one which eased them ahead of Toro Rosso in the constructors’ championship.

This was built on a strong qualifying performance, with both Saubers starting in the top-10 grid positions on merit, underlining how well the team has progressed this season, partly thanks to its technical partnership with Ferrari. The team embodied the patience that was needed to do well, as did Renault.

In 2016, with a poor car, Sauber was able to pit early and keep everyone behind. It pays to know your history on days like these…

The UBS Race Strategy Report is written by James Allen with input and data from several F1 team strategists and from Pirelli.

Race History Chart

race-history-1.jpg

Kindly provided by Williams Martini Racing, click to enlarge

The number of laps is on the horizontal axis; the gap behind the leader is on the vertical axis.

A positive sign is an upward curve as the fuel load burns off. A negative sign is the slope declining as the tyre degradation kicks in.

Tyre Usage Chart

tyre-history-1.jpg

Perez - Force India can be 'massive surprise' in 2019'

image.jpg

Having made his debut in 2011, Sergio Perez is now part of the old guard in Formula 1, with the sixth most Grand Prix starts of any driver on the current grid. And over the last five seasons, he’s become a major player at Force India – but could his standing at the team change when Lance Stroll arrives next year? The Mexican doesn’t think so…

Force India went into administration at the end of July, with Lawrence Stroll – father of Williams driver Lance - stepping in as the leader of a consortium of investors to rescue the squad, and they began their new era at the Belgian Grand Prix in August.

Ever since that takeover was completed, it was widely expected that Stroll would join the Silverstone squad – and now with Perez recently signing a new contract with the team, the Canadian youngster seems nailed on to take Esteban Ocon’s seat for 2019.

And Perez isn’t concerned about the son of the team’s new owner joining him next year – perhaps the opposite in fact, with the Mexican optimistic that they can both contribute and help the team ‘be a massive surprise next year’.

When asked if Lance Stroll joining Force India will affect the team dynamic, Perez replied: “I don’t think it will change. At the end of the day, the interests of all the team, even the team buyer, the team owner is that the team is very successful.

“So, for that you need both cars to be at 100 per cent and for the team to develop as quickly as possible. So, for that you really need full performance.

image.jpg

“I think if that happens, he’s coming in to a great team with great people, engineers, where he’s going to grow a lot. I see great things for the team.

“We have all the guidance, we just need the budget and I think we can be a massive surprise next year.”

Perez’s future at Force India has been a much talked about topic in the paddock in recent months, but his new contract was agreed earlier this month – and Team Principal Otmar Szafnauer has revealed what the driver brings to the team.

“Well, we chose to re-sign him because he’s a fantastic driver. He’s great on Sunday, qualifies well, great feedback and he’s been with the team for quite some time,” said Szafnauer.

“I think it’s appropriate to discuss all this here at his home race and he’s got a big impact on the team and it’s good to have continuity as well, from one year to the next.

“The regulations are changing quite significantly next year and a fellow like Sergio with all of his experience will help us in driving the development forward next year.”

Before Perez turns his attention to next year, though, there’s still two races of this season remaining. And he’s still in with a chance of securing ‘best of rest’ for a third successive season: he currently trails Renault’s Nico Hulkenberg in P7 by 12 points.

The gracious loser already eyeing 2019

M178439.jpg

Lewis Hamilton rightly claimed the spotlight after claiming his fifth Formula 1 world title in Mexico, an achievement that left him level with Juan Manuel Fangio and behind only Michael Schumacher. But a great champion needs a great rival, and Sebastian Vettel's dignity in defeat was commendable, and spoke volumes of his stature.

To the victor the plaudits. To the defeated the commiserations.

Sport, without its emotions, without its narratives, without its captivating highs and gut-wrenching lows, would be nothing. It has to mean something. And Sebastian Vettel’s reaction to his title defeat proved that – and also proved his sportsmanship.

Vettel knew heading to the Mexican Grand Prix that his title hopes were slim, but as long as there was still a chance, the chance was still there. That’s just how athletes are wired. They have to believe something is possible even when they are being written off. They have to have the self-belief to keep pushing, still believing they are the best, while having the capacity to build on weaknesses and improve. It is a difficult balance that only the elite among the elite can find.

The chequered flag in Mexico brought down the curtain on Vettel’s 2018 title aspirations and the focus naturally switched to Hamilton. Everyone wanted a piece of the World Champion, to revel in his success, to rightly acclaim his achievements. Vettel quietly stood by his car to gather his thoughts, conscious to allow Hamilton his moment, before offering a handshake and a hug that his jubilant opponent accepted. It was a touching moment that highlighted the magnanimous conduct of Vettel – and of Hamilton – who later went to Mercedes’ engineering room to offer further congratulations, a move that earned him a round of applause from the team. As with Felipe Massa in 2008, whose conduct in defeat garnered everlasting respect, it was a classy move after the culmination of a title fight that has, largely, been fought on a platform of respect.   

jm1828oc405.jpg

“It’s a horrible moment,” said Vettel of the realisation of his title prospects dissipating. “You put a lot of work in and OK, I get your point [journalists] that you saw it [the defeat] coming. I did pay attention in maths so I could make the numbers, but still, you hang in there as long as you can. I’ve had three times now in my life that sort of disappointment, where you realise that you can’t win the championship anymore and those are not happy days. You reflect not on one moment but the whole year: the work that goes in, the effort that goes in from the end of the last year until now and yeah, I think we had our chances. We used most of them, some we did not. But in the end we were not good enough.”

In reflecting on 2018 Vettel dismissed suggestions that his off at Hockenheim while leading was the decisive moment, and he does have a point. Mistakes can be measured through their input and outcome. The same mistake can have different outcomes – falling down the stairs could result in a lucky escape or a broken leg, for example – and in that instance Vettel’s mistake had the worst outcome. Most of his rivals that day erred, but he ended in the wall.

“I can’t be too hard on myself with what happened in Germany because it’s not like… I’ve done much bigger mistakes this year but obviously it was the most costly one,” he said. “Unfortunately it’s part of racing: when you push you might be sometimes pushing a little bit too hard. I chose the wrong corner as well. But anyway, it’s behind me and I’m not really thinking about that too much. I consider it part of racing and it happens to others as well.

“[Hamilton] drove superbly all year and was the better one of us two. I told him well deserved and to enjoy it – number five is something incredible. I mainly congratulated him and asked him to keep pushing for next year, I need him at his best to fight him again.”

That last line is another telling attributes of great champions. They are always striving for that next success. But that success has to mean something. Vettel was this year defeated through a combination of his and Ferrari’s own mistakes, and an inability to respond when Hamilton and Mercedes uncovered a new level. Defeating an on-form Hamilton in 2019 would mean so much more than merely pocketing a title. Ronaldo needs Messi, and vice versa. Federer needs Nadal, and ditto. Vettel and Hamilton need each other. The rivalry pushes the other to new heights they may not have otherwise discovered. Without one, the other’s achievements would be lesser – though it is a shame this year’s fight did not go to Abu Dhabi. Vettel has been on the receiving end for two successive years and will face new challenges in 2019, not only from outside but also from within. But that he is already thinking about Brazil, Abu Dhabi, and wanting to take on an on-form Hamilton next year reflects the burning desire to compete – and to win. 

jm1828oc427(1).jpg

• Like 1

MARKO: AIM IS FOR MAX TO BE YOUNGEST F1 WORLD CHAMPION

MaxVerstappenF1GrandPrixJapanPreviewsxxiIAwOSTVMx.jpg

With only two races left with Renault power, Red Bull chiefs are bullish about their looming Honda era, prompting the team’s consultant Helmut Marko to reveal that their target is for Max Verstappen to become the youngest Formula 1 World Champion next year.

Speaking in the wake of Verstappen’s commanding win at Sunday’s Mexican Grand Prix, Marko said in an interview with James Allen, “We’re really looking forward to next year. The aim is to have the youngest world champion. Two years we have, but we go for it next year.”

“We know the first year with a new engine manufacturer is not easy. But the aim is, and the goal that I’ve told all the people, is that we have to go for the championship, from the beginning. No excuses.”

For now, Sebastian Vettel remains the sport’s youngest F1 World Champion when he achieved the feat in 2010 at the age of 23 years and 134 days, driving for the energy drinks outfit at the time.

Red Bull bosses remain confident that Honda will deliver the goods next year, the signs on track right indicate that the Japanese auto giant has made great strides this season with their power unit package, whether they can now match Ferrari and Mercedes is questionable.

Toro Rosso have been the test bed for next season, hence their cars have suffered the most engine penalties of all teams this season, apparently, all towards ensuring that they are on top of things when the RA618H power units are bolted on to the back of the Adrian Newey penned RB15.

“It’s tactical to get the best for next year,” explained Marko. “Toro Rosso are sacrificing their season for next year. It’s part of our concept that we have with Honda. The figures are already ahead of Renault.”

There is no guarantee that there will not be more engine penalties next season, but Marko is sure their Dutch star driver can make up the difference, “Even so if you have one or two starts from the back, with Verstappen there’s some excitement.”

“On the radio he’s talking like he’s sitting with a cup of tea. The sort of information he is asking for… He’s unbelievable. There is no limit yet.”

Team chief Christian Horner is on the same page as the Doctor, “You’ve seen [in Mexico] if we’ve an engine that’s anywhere near the ballpark of our opponents then I think we’ve got a strong enough team and strong enough driver package to take the fight to them.”

“We’re obviously hopeful that the Honda, with the progress they’re making, will put us into the situation that we’re more regularly able to compete like we are here, with the optimum downforce and setting on the car,” added Horner.

Verstappen Formula 1 records:

• Aged 17 years and three days, he was the youngest driver to take part in an official F1 session when he did duty for Toro Rosso in FP1 at the 2014 Japanese Grand Prix;
  • At 17 years and 166 days, he became the youngest driver to start a grand prix in Australia 2015 with Toro Rosso;
  • At 17 years and 180 days he became the youngest ever points scorer with seventh place at the 2015 Malaysian Grand Prix;
  • At 18 years and 228, days he became the youngest winner when he powered to victory at the 2016 Spanish Grand Prix in his debut for Red Bull – he also became the youngest podium finisher and youngest F1 race leader on the day;
  • At 19 years and 44 days, became the youngest driver to set the fastest lap during the race when he did so at the 2016 Brazilian Grand Prix;

PROST: THIS YEAR HAMILTON WAS IMPOSSIBLE TO BEAT

LewisHamiltonSebastianVettelF1GrandPrix2zGD9-OeuF9x.jpg

Four times Formula 1 World Champion Alain Prost believes that this year Lewis Hamilton was impossible to beat because he raised his game whenever required even if he did not have the best package at his disposal on a given grand prix weekend.

Speaking to Sky Sports after witnessing the Mercedes driver go one better than him by claiming a fifth world title, Prost said, “Lewis was psychologically very strong against Seb this year. He was very mature and under the circumstances, he was impossible to beat.”

“Sebastian also had a good season, but not good enough to beat the combination of Lewis and Mercedes. He made mistakes at the wrong time, as in Baku or Hockenheim, otherwise he would have been 30 points ahead at the time and with less pressure.”

“Multiple world champions are obviously doing something different from the others. The biggest different I notice about Lewis is how he forces himself to become an even better driver.”

“This was perhaps his best season and he can be even better. Even if his car is not that good, he takes second or third place, and if he has to do something special in qualifying he is able to, like in Singapore.”

“[Mercedes] supports Lewis in his special way of life, which gives him a lot of confidence and strength which is very important to him,” added Prost.

The 63-year-old is a living legend of our sport, a dominant driver in an era with several huge names on the grid, none less than Prost’s nemesis Ayrton Senna.

Indeed the Frenchman is on everyones top five best F1 drivers of all time, but he himself is cautious when dishing out the massive accolade: Greatest Of All Time

“You cannot compare the generations. Senna and I were perhaps the best of ours. Now you can only say that Lewis is one of the best, if not the best of his generation,” ventured Prost.

• Like 1

COULTHARD: FERRARI DID NOT SUPPORT VETTEL ENOUGH

SebastianVettelF1GrandPrixMexico3NF_6-JrWrRx.jpg

Former Formula 1 driver turned pundit David Coulthard believes that Ferrari neglected to provide the support to Sebastian Vettel for him to beat Lewis Hamilton in this year’s world championship battle.

In the wake of Hamilton sealing his fifth title in Mexico last Sunday, speaking to Sportsmail Coulthard questioned Ferrari’s tactics and approach, “I just get a feeling that the team haven’t supported Vettel in the same way that Lewis has been supported.”

“I think that even though Valtteri has been given a fair crack of the whip, the general feeling at Mercedes is that Lewis is the man. If push comes to shove, he’s the one who’s going to win them more races and challenge for the championship.”

“What [Ferrari] did at Monza, allowing Kimi to get pole, and then Vettel ending up running second into the second chicane, and that gives Hamilton a go… things like that put them on the back foot.”

“They can’t deny that certain strategic decisions have played against Vettel. A combination of that and just generally, some unfortunate and unforced errors on his part.”

“I also think Hamilton is just on top of his game. He’s in a much happier place not being paired up with Rosberg, he’s got the maturity, he’s got all that experience. I think it’s just been his best ever season,” added Coulthard.

HAMILTON: ALONSO THOUGHT HE CONTROLLED THE F1 DRIVER MARKET

FernandoAlonsoLewisHamiltonF1GrandPrixmmHdfOKIm0tx.jpg

In the wake of Lewis Hamilton’s fifth Formula 1 World Championship title, the likes of Fernando Alonso and Max Verstappen have declared that most to drivers could have won the championship in the cockpit of the #44 Mercedes.

While Alonso finds himself in the once mighty McLaren team that are a shadow of the winning machine the team once was, while Hamilton found himself in the silver of Mercedes that has dominated relentlessly for the past five years and looking to do so for the foreseeable future.

Hence Hamilton argues, as do many, that Alonso’s bad career choices prevented him from winning more titles and told Auto Motor und Sport, “Sure, he could have had more world titles, but it’s not like he did not have the chance.”

The Briton has always been quick to praise the team and equipment he has at his disposal and argues that making the correct decisions at the right time is also key to success in Formula 1, “It just depends on making the right decisions outside the cockpit.”

“If you think like him, you control the driver market, then you should not be surprised if you end up empty-handed. Remember there were also Seb and me on the market at the time.”

“When Fernando gave up his seat at Ferrari, they hired Seb, and [Alonso] did not get Seb’s place at Red Bull because they gave that to Max.”

“Nevertheless, I still have a lot of respect for him. He is a phenomenal driver, and I don’t think his reputation has suffered in recent years, but I do not regret he does not sit in a winning car.”

When the Hamilton decided to quit his alma mater, McLaren, to join mid-grid Mercedes in 2013, many believed he had made the incorrect decision to leave the second most successful team in Formula 1 for what was essentially a start-up.

The British media and of their most pundits at the time lashed out at Hamilton’s decision, predicting doom and gloom for the career of (at the time) the one-time F1 World Champio at the time.

Hamilton explained, “I do not consider myself lucky to end up at Mercedes. Before signing, I did my homework and talked to different people from different teams. I made a list of pros and cons and asked the teams the right questions.”

“From Ross Brawn, I wanted to know then what Mercedes were planning to do to get better. I told him: You have 400 people, McLaren has 800. How do you want to keep up with them in terms of speed of development?”

“The answers he gave me painted a picture that convinced me to sign. I knew it would take a little longer but Mercedes is also such a famous brand that I was sure they would eventually win.”

Indeed time has shown that his critics were well off the mark, while Hamilton hit the jackpot and has since bagged an additional four world titles as well as fifty victories in the top flight all in silver.

The likes of Alonso, Vettel and Verstappen all started in small teams, the Spaniard with Minardi which then morphed into Toro Rosso where the German and the Dutchman got their breaks on the big stage.

Hamilton was fast-tracked straight into McLaren, who at the time were a winning outfit, “Yes, I was fortunate to start my career right away in a top team, but it’s sometimes easier for a young driver to learn in a small team where you do not have that much pressure.”

“Being a rookie in a top team against a two-time world champion [Alonso] then suddenly being famous and travelling so much was a huge job and one of the toughest years of my life,” added the five-time World Champion.

• Like 1

KUBICA OPTIONS WILLIAMS SEAT OR FERRARI SIMULATOR DRIVER?

RobertKubicaSpanishF1GrandPrixPreviewsp5hRaCz616Tx.jpg

Robert Kubica is keen to step up onto the Formula 1 grid with the only seat available at Williams, but at the same time, the popular Polish driver would not mind a chance to don the red overalls of Ferrari even if it means his role will be limited to simulator duty.

It is no secret that before his horrific rally accident in 2011, Kubica had signed an option to join Ferrari and it appears that the Scuderia dream is still recurring.

“If there is a chance, even if only for a short test to wear the red overalls, then for me one of the biggest dreams of my life will come true. I have been close once, but it never became reality because of my rally accident.’

“I’m not saying it’s going to happen, but if there’s a chance, for sure I will think about it,” added Kubica with reference to a sim driver role at Maranello.

Meanwhile, one Williams seat has been filled by Formula 2 ace George Russell while a number of drivers are on the list for the second seat, including the likes of Esteban Ocon, Robert Kubica, Sergey Sirotkin, Nyck de Vries and, supposedly, Esteban Gutierrez.

Deputy team chief Claire Williams confirmed that Russell was chosen on merit and a driver they intend grooming for the future, but the economic reality at Williams – battling with an “evil” car at the wrong end of the grid – is the second driver will have to bring along money and win the inevitable auction for that last available cockpit for 2019.

All the candidates will be hard at work piling up money to throw into the kitty when decisions are made at Grove, Kubica reportedly has more backing than he had last year and acknowledged, “It would be nice to be able to race next year, but the comeback must also work.”

“I do not want to force anything. It should be a reward for a long journey. It’s got to be about the environment and the people I work with.”

“It’s no secret that Williams looks for drivers to fill Lance’s place. They landed a good youngster with George Russell. It now depends on what Williams expects from the second driver. I can only help them if they have the same goal as me and of course and what I can offer must also fulfil what they need.”

Although racing in the top flight is his priority, he is open to other motorsport disciplines, “I am not ruling out racing next year and I am confident that, in one way or the other, I find something that fulfils me and I enjoy, it could also be outside of Formula 1.”

With 19 of the 20 seats available on the 2019 grid taken, time is running out on a decision for next year, a fact that the 33-year-old laments, “We are already late. I wanted to know it yesterday but I expect it to be cleared up in less than two weeks.”

2019 aero regulations a 'massive step backwards' - F1 bosses

jm1831jy194.jpg

Formula 1 team bosses have described the 2019 aero regulations as a "massive step backwards" in terms of performance, but are hopeful the losses can quickly be recovered.

F1 agreed upon new rules which will see simplified front-wings and other smaller changes introduced for the 2019 season, in the hope they will lead to an increase in overtaking by reducing the amount of dirty air coming off the car ahead.

However the major downside is that these new aero rules will dramatically cut downforce levels, therefore reducing the current record breaking cornering speeds and laptimes F1 has witnessed this season.

"It’s difficult to have a clear picture today [of what 2019 will be like] but for sure I think we will improve on the engine. We have still some doubts about the tyres and on the aero package," commented Sauber's Frederic Vasseur.

"If you are speaking about the aero regulations, it’s a huge step back. I think everyone is focused on recovering [the lost performance]. I don’t know when we will recover and if we will be able to overshoot but it looks tricky."

Force India was one of two teams to trial a 2019-spec front-wing during a test in Hungary earlier this year (pictured), and team boss Otmar Szafnauer described it as a "massive step" backwards.

"We did [a test] and it was a significant step backwards," he said. "We’ve got aggressive targets, I don’t know if we will be able to hit them. We’re trying to predict the future as to what we can find, but yeah, it was a massive step back for us."

Meanwhile Toro Rosso's Franz Tost is hopeful that the losses can be recovered quite quickly, but is skeptical as to whether the overtaking benefits will actually be realised.

"I discussed it with the people in the wind tunnel and as it currently looks, they do not believe that overtaking will become much easier. Therefore I’m not sure that this regulation change will end up where we expect – that overtaking will become much easier."

He added: "I think that at the beginning of next season the teams will have reached a similar level on downforce as nowadays."