FORMULA 1

HAMILTON: I WANTED TO SHOW ‘STILL I RISE’

AP-1XMF51XCS2111_hires_jpeg_24bit_rgb_news-750x447.jpg

Formula 1 World Champion Lewis Hamilton bared body and soul on Sunday after stripping down to his waist on the podium following his commanding victory in the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

The Mercedes driver, who had already clinched his fifth Formula 1 championship, has a large cross and the words ‘Still I rise’ tattooed prominently on his upper back with a large cross below the words, with plenty of ink elsewhere as well.

The Briton told Sky Sport he had wanted to use it as an inspiration for others, “I’ve always kind of wanted to do it, because I wanted to show: Still I rise. And I think it was the perfect moment because that’s really how it’s been this year.”

The Briton ended the season with 11 wins, equalling his best for a campaign, but the year did not start out that way with Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel winning the first two and Hamilton on the back foot.

For much of the first half of the season, the champion was telling people he did not have the quickest car but he and Mercedes came back strongly after the August break and reaped the rewards.

Hamilton, Formula One’s first black champion who has risen from an underprivileged background to success and wealth beyond his dreams, urged people to read ‘Still I Rise’, a poem by American Maya Angelou.

“Please go and read it because it applies to anyone who’s stumbling and falling,” he said.

“Look at Billy Monger, he’s been a real inspiration to me this year,” he added, referring to the young British driver who lost both his legs in a Formula Four crash last year but came back to stand on the podium in Formula Three in March.

“He probably looks up to me because he wants to be in Formula One but what he’s done…that’s really what ‘Still I Rise’ is all about,” said Hamilton.

The Briton has broken new ground this season, for the first time in his career winning races after he has clinched the championship.

“I really wanted to end the season strong and I think on a personal note I was able to do that,” he said. “I wanted to end the way I plan to start next year, and that was kind of the new psyche.

“I’ve grown, I’ve understood myself more,” he said, when asked what he had learned. “I’ve just been able to be a better me all year long and that’s never going to stop.

“I’m going to continue to try and work on that and on the output, on the energy I’m projecting to people, my commitment to all the different things I have.”

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have said it many times over the years, the FIA need to appoint stewards that are the same people for EVERY race. I have always felt that some stewards are biased toward "some" drivers (Of cour

F1 needs a Friday program including testing or the race tracks are going to lose a lot of ticket sales.  As a TV viewer, I find the Friday practice sessions quite enjoyable.   On par with the rest of

WILLIAMS CONFIRM SIROTKIN TO RACE AND KUBICA RESERVE Russian rookie Sergey Sirotkin will race for Williams this season after being chosen ahead of Polish rival Robert Kubica on Tuesday in wh

RICCIARDO: WE CLOSE THIS CHAPTER NOW

AP-1XMFJARWS2111_hires_jpeg_24bit_rgb-750x501.jpg

Big smiling Daniel Ricciardo had hoped for one last celebratory ‘Shoey’ with Red Bull on the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix podium on Sunday but, despite a long stint in the lead, his wish was not to be granted.

The Renault-bound Australian finished fourth in Formula 1’s season-ender, one place behind team mate Max Verstappen, in his farewell to a team who have backed him since he was a teenager.

The sweaty race shoe that the smiling Australian has in the past filled with champagne to drink from, and forced on reluctant victims, remained out of sight.

“I would have loved a podium, so I can’t be ecstatic with fourth,” said Ricciardo after his 100th race for Red Bull in 150 career starts. “I was a bit lonely in the last few laps. I couldn’t really do much more.”

“We close this chapter now, so thanks to Red Bull and the whole Red Bull family. I would have loved to drink out of my shoe but (there’s) still a few hours to go…”

The partying, with or without drinks poured into footwear, was likely to go on into the night, followed by a return to Britain and then to Australia next month for some well-earned downtime.

Ricciardo said he would “close everything off” with Red Bull at their Milton Keynes factory next week and then spend some time at Renault getting to know his new teammates.

After that, he will fly back to Australia and switch off.

“I’m looking forward to going home and just talking to the sheep and the cows on the farm and not doing a whole lot for the first few days. They get me,” he added of the farm animals.

Ricciardo leaves Red Bull with seven race wins, including China and Monaco this year, 29 podiums and his status cemented as a fan favourite known for his near-permanent smile and thrilling overtakes.

“As a whole, the time here was good. Some obviously amazing memories and a lot of things I’m sure I will reflect on in a few hours,” he said.

Team principal Christian Horner paid tribute as the Australian crossed the line, “Great drive today. It’s been an absolute pleasure having you in the team. All the podiums, all the high moments. We’re going to miss you.”

“We wish you all the very, very best for the future and hold very fond the memories we have together. So enjoy this slow down lap.”

Horner told reporters later: “He’s been great. We’ve seen him grow from when he first arrived in Europe as a 16-year-old…100 races with us, seven victories and such a big character as well. It’s been a blast having him in the team.”

ALONSO: FORMULA 1 HAS BEEN A FANTASTIC JOURNEY

Ds25P0LW0AcPXMw-750x500.jpg

It was emotional, Fernando Alonso’s legendary Formula 1 journey has come to an end – for now – on a night filled with drama and glitz at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, the Spaniard turned his back on the sport he entered back in 2001.

For nearly two decades he has made headlines in motorsport and sporting pages around the globe, and now with 312 grand prix starts to his name and two Formula 1 World Championship titles the chapter closes.

Speaking after a memorable slowdown lap, packed with smokey donuts, with race winner and nemesis Lewis Hamilton as well as Sebastian Vettel, the Spaniard told reporters, “It’s going to be a good memory, the whole package in Formula 1 has been a fantastic journey from a very young age to now fighting in any circumstances and in any car.”

“I came from a country with no F1 tradition, my father was not a racing driver, so I am very happy with what I have achieved. I will come back maybe one day as a tourist or a commentator.”

As for a return to the top flight, Alonso said, “I don’t know. I need a break now. I need different challenges. I want to fight for the triple crown. Maybe for 2020 I will feel the need to do a full calendar for something, Indy Car or F1. Maybe I will come back or maybe I will not want to come back.”

Despite being out of the top ten, the spotlight shone on Alonso throughout the weekend at Yas, a fact he acknowledged, “I was very surprised because I have raced with great champions.”

“I raced with Michael, raced with Jenson Button. Two or three years ago in the same place, it was his last race and no one had all the things that I have received this weekend, so I cannot say thanks enough to everyone.”

After race winner Hamilton embraced Alonso in front of the main grandstand, the Briton said, “Fernando is a true legend. It’s been a privilege to race when he is racing. I was asked all weekend if I will miss him. I don’t feel I will miss another driver, but the sport will miss him and I will miss him from the sport.”

Vettel who replaced the Spaniard at Ferrari added, “Well done to Fernando. We will miss him.”

RAIKKONEN: WE WILL ALWAYS HAVE THE MEMORIES

Ds3rvl-XQAAAZmh-750x500.jpg

Kimi Raikkonen retired from his last Formula One race with Ferrari on Sunday, his car losing power and coasting to a halt on the main straight after just seven laps of the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix but, despite the disappointment, he thanked the Reds for the good memories.

“What’s happening? I don’t have power,” exclaimed the 2007 world champion, who is moving to Sauber next season, before parking up.

The 39-year-old Finn, who had started in fourth place and alongside teammate Sebastian Vettel, stepped out of the car and walked back to the paddock with his helmet on as the virtual safety car was deployed.

By the time the dust had settled, Raikkonen did enough to finish third in the championship, two pointd of Max Verstappen in second and four points ahead of Mercedes driver and fellow Finn Valtteri Bottas in fifth.

Afterwards, Raikkonen said in his race review, “Obviously I’m a bit disappointed. It’s not the way we wanted this last race together to finish. We wanted to do well and I think we would have had a pretty good car for the job.”

“Unfortunately, we had an electrical issue; in the back straight, I felt I was lacking power and then everything shut down. It’s a pity but that’s how racing goes sometimes. It’s been a pretty decent season, but the four retirements were not in our plans and obviously did not help; we wanted more for sure.”

“I want to thank all the Ferrari fans who always gave me a lot of support. We went through good and bad times together, and this makes it all the more interesting.”

“Of course we wanted a better finish, but that’s part of the sport. We will always have the memories of winning the Drivers’ Championship and two Constructors Championship together,” added Raikkonen who next year moves to Sauber on a two-year deal.

• Like 1

FINALLY FORCE INDIA CONFIRM LANCE STROLL

Lance Stroll

It was always just a matter of time, and end it took a while but the cat is now out the bag and Lance Stroll will be a Force India driver this week when he does duty for the team his father Lawrence rescued with his Racing Point consortium.

The tale is old and well told, the Stroll’s finding no joy at Williams have bought a Force India so Stroll can race within a more competitive environment… hopefully!

The announcement was expected but never came, but instead a subtle Tweet after the bu Dhabi Grand Prix  revealed:

Stroll will spend a day and a half with his new toys in a hope to put behind him the nightmare second season he endured with Williams.

The 20-year old Canadian will partner Mexican driver Sergio Perez who has been with the team since 2014.

HULKENBERG: I’M HANGING HERE LIKE A COW… GET ME OUT OF THIS CAR!

Ds2vpZ-XQAAABXW-750x500.jpg

Nico Hulkenberg was trapped for several minutes in his Renault after crashing and barrel-rolling into the barriers in an opening lap melee at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

The Renault was tagged mid-corner by the Haas of Romain Grosjean, Hulkenberg’s car then bounced and catapulted before ending upside down on top of the safety barriers.

Marshals were rapid to extinguish what appeared to be a small fire on the upside-down car before they righted the car and Hulkenberg climbed out apparently unscathed.

The Halo doing a great job to prevent a head injury which might have been certain without it.

During the incident, the world breathed a sigh of relief as, while upsidedown Hulkenberg said over the radio: “I’m hanging here like a cow… get me out of this car!”

Ds2eYiEXoAAwOHY.jpg

PIRELLI AGREES NEW FOUR-YEAR FORMULA 1 DEAL

Pirelli-tyres-2017-017-750x501.jpg

Pirelli has signed a new four-year deal to remain Formula 1’s sole tyre supplier until the end of the 2023 season, the sport announced in a statement on Sunday.

“We are delighted to have reached this agreement, which guarantees a long-term stable future for such a crucial component of Formula One,” Formula One chairman Chase Carey said.

The current deal was due to expire at the end of 2019 and the governing FIA said last September that more than one company had tendered, although Pirelli’s French rival Michelin had ruled itself out.

Media reports had indicated South Korea’s Hankook as the other bidder.

The tender called for a switch from 13-inch (33.02 cm) wheel rims to 18-inch ones in 2021, meaning that any new entrant faced the added cost of having to design one type of tyre for 2020 and a new one for the following three years.

Pirelli confirmed its commitment “to work together towards the new technical regulations expected for 2021, including the 18-inch tyre”.

Michelin withdrew from Formula One in 2006, a year after a farcical U.S. Grand Prix that went ahead with only six cars racing after all the Michelin-equipped teams pulled out on safety grounds.

The sport has had a sole supplier since then, with Bridgestone replaced by Pirelli in 2011.

Official Press Release:

Formula 1, the pinnacle of motorsport, and the FIA are pleased to announce that Pirelli has been confirmed as the sole Global Tyre Partner of the FIA Formula 1 World Championship. The new deal will run for four years, from 2020 to the 2023 season inclusive.

Following the successful partnership, which was up for renewal at the end of 2019, a new agreement has been completed continuing Pirelli’s longstanding relationship with the FIA Formula 1 World Championship™. All parties have reaffirmed their commitment to work together towards the new technical regulations expected for 2021, including the 18-inch tyre.

Chase Carey, Formula 1 Chairman and CEO, said: “Pirelli have been an important and valued partner to Formula 1® since 2011. They are leaders in providing innovative state of the art capabilities. They are a premium brand, a clear global leader in motorsport and our ongoing partnership with them is proof once more of our desire to align F1 with the best in motorsport and beyond. We are delighted to have reached this agreement, which guarantees a long-term stable future for such a crucial component of Formula 1®.”

Jean Todt, FIA President, said: “I am happy to have Pirelli appointed for another period as official tyre supplier to the FIA Formula 1 World Championship. It will allow all of us to enjoy the experience gained since 2011. We know how crucial and difficult is the role of the tyre supplier and, particularly, in Formula 1.”

Marco Tronchetti Provera, Pirelli Vice President and CEO, said: “It’s excellent news that Pirelli is prolonging its partnership with Formula 1® until 2023. This new agreement extends our presence to a total of 13 seasons in the modern era, with Pirelli also present in 1950, when the World Championship was inaugurated. Formula 1® is and will remain the pinnacle of motorised competition: the perfect environment for Pirelli, which has always defined motorsport as its most advanced technological research and development laboratory. Formula 1® provides the perfect showcase for our Ultra High Performance road car tyres, which equip the world’s most desirable prestige and premium vehicles to guarantee the highest standards of performance, sustainability and safety.”

RENAULT AND RED BULL FINALLY GO THEIR SEPARATE WAYS

F1GrandPrixofBelgiumWjpnrKI-vIJx-750x501.jpg

Red Bull and engine suppliers Renault went their separate ways on Sunday as one of Formula 1’s most successful partnerships reached the end of what had a become a very rocky road in Abu Dhabi.

To mark the occasion, Renault Sport Racing managing director Cyril Abiteboul presented Red Bull boss Christian Horner with a squirrel soft toy — a humorous nod to the ‘Squirrel Irritable’ nickname Horner has been known to use for the Frenchman.

“It’s on the pit wall, it spent the race with me. It’s a grumpy looking squirrel, an irritable squirrel,” Horner told reporters.

The once-dominant partnership has been fraught in recent seasons, with Red Bull feeling let down in the V6 turbo hybrid era by a Renault engine that has lacked the power and reliability of rivals Mercedes and Ferrari.

Abiteboul and Horner have engaged in plenty of verbal sparring, with Red Bull seeking and failing to find another engine partner before Honda became an option.

Red Bull will hope for better with Honda next season while Renault, who are taking Red Bull’s Australian driver Daniel Ricciardo with them, focus on their own factory team and clients McLaren.

“As one chapter closes, another one opens and we’re already excited about 2019,” said Horner.

Together Renault and Red Bull won 59 races with 160 podiums, 60 pole positions, 60 fastest laps and eight world championships — four of them drivers’ crowns with Sebastian Vettel between 2010-23.

“In Red Bull we found a partner who would challenge for more of everything,” said Abiteboul in a diplomatic Renault statement emphasising the positives.

“Together we achieved outstanding results and in time our record will be recognised on its own merits,” he added.

“We wish Red Bull all the best for its next step and look forward to continuing our rivalry on track in the coming seasons.”

Fernando Alonso 'thankful' to Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel for 'improvised' send-off

jm1825no371.jpg

Fernando Alonso says he's "thankful" to Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel for an emotional send-off which saw the trio drive side-by-side to the start/finish straight, before completing a number of doughnuts at the end of the Abu Dhabi Formula 1 Grand Prix.

Alonso, who has now retired from the sport – although has hinted it could be a temporary one – was flanked by race winner Hamilton and runner-up Vettel on the cool-down lap for what he revealed was an improvised celebration.

"That in-lap was improvised actually because it was not planned in advance," explained the Spaniard. "I saw them doing doughnuts in Turn 8 so I caught up with the leaders and then one of the cars was on the left and one on the right and they went like that all the way to the start finish line.

"I am very thankful to them for the nice gesture and it was nice to celebrate at the chequered flag."

It was one of several celebrations of Alonso's illustrious career this weekend, which the two-time champion admitted had been a little overwhelming.

"I still need a couple of days to see and digest things," he said. "There have been a lot of things that were prepared for me with the team, Liberty and Formula 1, but I didn’t have any time to myself.

"Every time I was in the room I could see on my telephone that there were hundreds and hundreds of messages, but every time I sat down in the chair, someone knocked on the door and told me to go out to see another new person.

"So I have had no time yesterday evening and this morning, and I need a bit of time to myself and realise the magic weekend that I had."

Alonso came close to scoring what would have been his 1,900th point in F1, but went on to finish P11 as he couldn't close the gap to Haas' Kevin Magnussen in the closing laps, despite cutting the chicane on three occasions – for which he was penalised.

• Like 1

Max Verstappen 'very happy' with third in Abu Dhabi GP amid tough start and oily ending

jm1825no663.jpg

Max Verstappen has said he was 'very happy' with his final podium finish of the 2018 F1 season after battling sensor issues with his Red Bull and an oily visor.

The Dutchman had started in sixth place on the pink-marked hypersoft and had expected to make a quick getaway from the grid and push the leaders in the opening stint of the race.

Verstappen's RB14 initially ran into problems wehn the lights went out and he dropped back as far as tenth after a water temperature sensor held back the Renault power unit, which saw Verstappen plummet down the order immediately after Turn 1.

The 21-year old eventually fought his way through the field in every sense of the word after making light contact with Esteban Ocon and Mercedes' Valtteri Bottas during his speedy recovery.

In the latter stages of the race, whilst trying to lap his 2019 team-mate Pierre Gasly, the Frenchman's Toro Rosso-Honda was leaking oil and showering the Dutchman behind him.

Verstappen admitted in the cool-down room after the race to victor Lewis Hamilton that he had run out of visor tear-offs which meant every time he used a hand to wipe his visor, it made the problem worse.

"I had a problem off the start," said Verstappen. "Actually, the launch was good but then the engine went into like a safety programme and I had it again on the re-start afterwards.

"It was not easy but we managed to go back into a good position, putting pressure on the guys ahead. I think I stopped quite early but I had to because I was on the hypers.

"Then we managed to keep the supersoft alive and I had good pace. But the last few laps were not that easy as there was a Toro Rosso leaking oil onto my helmet, so I couldn’t really see where I was going, but at the end of course very happy to be third."

Verstappen ends the season in fourth place in the Driver's Championship, just two points Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen.

Bottas: Abu Dhabi GP mirrored campaign by "turning to s**t"

Bottas: Abu Dhabi GP mirrored campaign by

Mercedes driver Valtteri Bottas says his Abu Dhabi Grand Prix mirrored his 2018 Formula 1 season as a whole, as it started off promisingly before “everything turned to s**t”.
The Finn had locked out the front row with teammate Lewis Hamilton in qualifying, and kept second place behind the champion at the start.

But while his pace in the opening stint was solid, he faded after switching to the supersofts, falling behind Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel and the two Red Bull cars.

“I think overall the race sums up the season quite well - started off quite well and then everything turns to s**t,” Bottas said.

“I had initially a lock-up into Turn 5, when Sebastian got close, and then he got DRS and overtook me.

“I thought it was purely my mistake - which in the end it was - but the wind suddenly turned around, so for the wind I would've had to brake a bit earlier. Fair enough.

“At the same time, the team could find on the rear right brake some vibration and some issue, so sometimes the front brakes had to work harder than the rear brakes to compensate and that meant there were sudden lock-ups.

“Same thing happened when I went straight [at Turn 8] and Verstappen got close. So we still need to investigate what was exactly the issue with the brakes.”

Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes-AMG F1 W09 runs wide and battles with Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing RB14

When queried about the Finn's underwhelming race, team boss Toto Wolff confirmed that “some odd braking behaviour” was observed on the right rear of Bottas' car, adding that it seemed to improve after the second stop.

“So, before actually making a comment on performance I would rather see all the data,” he said.

Verstappen and Bottas had made contact when the former pulled off an aggressive move for third place, and Bottas said this left his W09 with “some floor damage”.

He pitted for the second time soon after, but would continue to lose time after rejoining the track on fresher tyres and ended up 48 seconds behind his race-winning teammate.

Having come off worse in the Verstappen clash, Bottas nonetheless took no issue with the Ducthman's driving.

“It's just racing. We both wanted to gain the position.

“Yeah, we did touch, I was the one who lost there, as I lost the position and also I had floor damage and we had to do a pitstop also in the end.

“But for me it was racing.”

Halo did not compromise Hulkenberg extraction - Whiting

Halo did not compromise Hulkenberg extraction - Whiting

FIA race director Charlie Whiting says Nico Hulkenberg's halo did not compromise the Renault Formula 1 driver's extraction following his first-lap crash in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
Hulkenberg's car came to rest upside down, leaning against the barrier at the outside of the Turn 8/9 chicane, after he was sent into a series of flips by his clash with Romain Grosjean.

The policy in such circumstances is to wait for the car to be righted before trying to get the driver out.

But the length of time it took for Hulkenberg to emerge from the wreckage led some observers to suggest that the halo had made it harder for him to get out.

Whiting stressed that Hulkenberg actually had more space because of the way the halo supports the whole cockpit.

"Quite clearly that's one of the sort of accidents the halo was designed to help with," Whiting said when asked by about the situation by Motorsport.com.

"It provides more space for the driver once the car is upside down. That was one of the things we wanted to make sure was still possible [during the prove-out phase for the halo].

"When you have an accident like that the radio from the car is automatically routed to race control so we get immediate information.

"Drivers normally say 'I'm OK' or 'I'm fine,' and we relay that to the doctors on their way to the scene. Then they can take their time to get the car righted and let him get out."

When asked about any criticism of the situation on Sunday, Whiting added: "We knew he was OK and there was nothing to worry about there.

The crashed car of Nico Hulkenberg, Renault Sport F1 Team R.S. 18 is recovered

"So the routine under those circumstances is to put the car back on its wheels, which has to be done carefully of course.

"Once back on its wheels he was able to get out by himself.

"It was very controlled from what I could see, and our medical delegate was more than happy with the way it was done. It all worked exactly as it should."

Renault F1 executive director Marcin Budkowski, who was working for the FIA while the halo was being developed, agreed that situation was handled correctly.

"In my previous life in the FIA there were a lot of questions as to whether it would be negative," he told Motorsport.com.

"It gives the driver a lot more space. Waiting to turn the car over is the general policy, and that was the case before the halo.

"Obviously there was some amount of fire in the car that had to be extinguished. If it wasn't possible, then I think it was a different story, and they probably would have extracted him.

"Once the fire is out, effectively there is no risk to the driver, the driver speaks and he's not hurt, the safest thing is to flip the car.

"If you ask Nico it probably didn't happen quickly enough, but it was still the right thing to do."

FIA bemused by Alonso cutting corners "three laps in a row"

FIA bemused by Alonso cutting corners

FIA race director Charlie Whiting believes the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix stewards were "surprised" by Fernando Alonso cutting the track three times in quick succession in the race.
Trying to catch Kevin Magnussen for 10th place in what is currently poised to be his farewell F1 appearance, Alonso cut the track in Turns 8 and 9 on three occasions - with the notification of the offences timed at 18:47, 18:51 and 18:52 local.

Each time the stewards added five seconds to his race time, and gave him a penalty point on his licence.

In the end the total of 15 seconds total did not impact Alonso's 11th-place finish.

Whiting said no consideration was given by the stewards to a more serious penalty, such as a black flag, for the repeated offending.

“I think they were surprised it happened three laps in a row,” said Whiting when asked by Motorsport.com. “And they just gave him a penalty each time.

"It was the end of the race, and I don’t think it would have been very nice to give someone like Fernando a black flag in his last race, do you? I don’t think the black flag was ever discussed.”

Alonso said he had tried as hard as he could to make progress in his final race.

“We tried, we gave it all on track,” he said. “We were fighting with the two Haas until the last couple of corners.

"It was a nice weekend, and also the in-lap was very emotional. It was a very touching weekend from F1, from my team, from the fans. I had a lot of support and a lot of respect and I feel honoured.”

Alonso ran in formation with race winner Lewis Hamilton and runner-up Sebastian Vettel after the chequered flag, the trio then performing donuts on the main straight.

“It was very nice. I appreciate it," Alonso said. "It was improvised because they were doing donuts in other corners and I drove by and I saw them driving to the right and left of me and we drive that way until the finish line.

“I'm thankful. They are two great champions, with Max [Verstappen] too, and it's possibly battles that I will miss. So, in the end I think it was a good day.”

Fernando Alonso, McLaren MCL33, and Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+, perform donuts after the race

Button joins Sky F1 TV line-up for 2019

Button joins Sky F1 TV line-up for 2019

Jenson Button will join Sky Sports as a TV pundit for all 21-races of the 2019 Formula 1 season.

Button worked for the broadcaster at this year's British Grand Prix and will be a part of the channel's presenting team full-time from the start of next season.

Sky Sports F1 has exclusive rights to show F1 races live in the UK from 2019, except for the Silverstone race, which it will share with Channel 4.

Channel 4 will show the other 20 races as highlights.

"I'm incredibly excited to join up with the Sky Sports team again," said Button.

"Working with them at Silverstone this year gave me a taste of television broadcasting, one that I thoroughly enjoyed and look forward to again in 2019."

Button, the 2009 F1 world champion, left grand prix racing at the end of the 2016 season.

He made just two on-track appearances in 2017 – the Suzuka 1000km for Team Mugen in Super GT, and the Monaco Grand Prix for McLaren in place of Fernando Alonso, who was racing at the Indianapolis 500.

For this year, he completed the full season of Super GT and won the title for Team Kunimitsu alongside Naoki Yamamoto, and has also made four FIA World Endurance Championship appearances – including Le Mans – with the SMP Racing LMP1 team.

"Jenson's arrival is fantastic news for our customers and for motorsport fans," said Sky Sports' head of F1 Scott Young.

"We have a world-class presenting team and we now add the unique insights from another world champion.

"This will elevate our coverage of Formula 1 in what is our first year of exclusivity in the UK."

Hamilton and Mercedes identify "weak spot" in '19 rules

Hamilton and Mercedes identify

Lewis Hamilton says he and Mercedes are already working on addressing what they think will be a ‘weak spot’ in Formula 1’s new aero regulations next year.
Changes to the wing and bargeboards for 2019 aimed at improving overtaking have triggered a pretty major redesign for teams, and could serve to shake up the order.

Reflecting on a meeting he had with team personnel in Abu Dhabi on Friday to discuss 2019 plans, Hamilton says that they are already identifying the key areas they must focus on if Mercedes is to retain its place at the front of the grid.

“On Friday, sitting just talking to a couple of individuals who are not usually here but are up-to-date with next year’s car, we sit and have this in-depth conversation and it’s inspiring,” he said.

“They are so smart, incredibly intelligent and they think on a completely different wavelength to the normal person. 

“Ultimately I want to make sure, through our debriefs, they’ve not misinterpreted something. For example, I know what I need in this car to make it faster and I’ve got to make sure that I communicate that with them so that they go and build and find that performance.

“For next year’s car, I have an idea where the weak spot will be with these new rule changes, as do they.

“[It is just about] working closely, communication and we’re all of us constantly working so closely together, really elevating each other and I think this year, if you look at the team’s performance on the race weekend, that our mechanics, our engineers, strategists, we’ve all raised our game."

Although rival Ferrari is hopeful it can move forward in 2019 and Red Bull believes a switch to Honda power will help its performance, Hamilton has faith that Mercedes has the qualities needed to not fall back.

“I’m confident; as long as Mercedes don’t change their approach, don’t change their desire to win,” he said. “Some teams decide to veer off and do some other business venture and lose a bit of focus on the main ultimate goal.

“As long as they don’t do that, I believe that we’ll be able to stay on this path and continue to fight at the top.

"But Ferrari have been doing an amazing job this year so we cannot take anything for granted, we’ve got to keep the hammer down, keep pushing as they will be.”

ALONSO AND JOHNSON IMPRESSED BY F1/NASCAR CAR SWAP

image.JPG

Seven-times NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson and double Formula 1 champion Fernando Alonso swapped race cars in Bahrain on Monday, with the 43-year-old American pretty sure he got the better of the deal.

While Johnson declared the V8-powered 2013 McLaren to be “mind-blowing” in braking and acceleration, Alonso found the Hendrick Motorsports number 48 Chevrolet a blast from the past with its V8 engine and steel brakes.

“Literally on the first outing, my helmet was trying to leave my head, and I was staring at the microphone in my helmet it was so high,” Johnson told ESPN at the Sakhir desert circuit south of Manama.

“I was like, ‘I don’t want to stop but I think I should’ I got my helmet more under control, and then it was really my eyes trying to find their way far enough ahead and far enough round the turns…”

The fun swap came a day after Alonso’s last Formula 1 race in Abu Dhabi.

The Spaniard did a couple of initial laps in the orange Formula One car before handing it over to Johnson, who went on to do 28.

The American returned the favour with some set-up laps in his NASCAR.

“To be honest, I was supposed to only drive the NASCAR, but it made sense if I was doing the installation lap [in the F1 car] just to make sure the car was feeling OK,” Alonso said of his swift return to the F1 cockpit.

“I found myself in the cockpit at 11 a.m. this morning after retiring yesterday,” the Spaniard said.

Both drivers said they were impressed by the other’s performance, Alonso set a benchmark time of 1:40.204 seconds in the F1 car and Johnson lapped in 1:40.462.

“I think he was really gaining time every run he was going out,” said Alonso.

image.JPG

image.JPG

image.JPG

image.JPG

image.JPG

image.JPG

• Like 1

ALBON: A BIG THANK YOU TO TORO ROSSO FOR BELIEVING

Alex-Albon-750x500.jpg

Alexander Albon will become the first Thai to race in Formula One’s modern era after the Red Bull-owned Toro Rosso team announced on Monday that they had signed the British-born youngster for next season.

The 22-year-old, who joins Russian Daniil Kvyat in a new lineup, finished third in this year’s Formula Two championship and had been due to compete for Nissan in the all-electric Formula E series.

The only other Thai to have raced in Formula One was the wealthy Birabongse Bhanuban, better known as Prince Bira, who contested 18 grands prix between 1950 and 1954 with a best result of fourth.

Albon’s arrival means New Zealander Brendon Hartley, a Le Mans 24 Hours winner and world endurance champion, has lost his seat.

Hartley’s French teammate Pierre Gasly has graduated to the main Red Bull Racing team.

Team principal Franz Tost said Albon, who was dropped from Red Bull’s young driver programme in 2012, had showed in Formula Two — the official feeder series to Formula One — that he had what it takes to drive in F1.

“He won four races and finished the championship third. The way he is able to overtake many of his rivals in the races shows that he is ready and matured to race in Formula One,” said the Austrian.

Albon is also a good fit for the Red Bull energy drink brand, which has its origins in Thailand with the late Chaleo Yoovidhya a co-founder of the company with Austrian Dietrich Mateschitz.

Starting out in karting at an early age, with current five times F1 world champion Lewis Hamilton awarding him one of his many prizes along the way, Albon was a world champion in the KF3 class in 2010.

Formula Two winner George Russell and runner-up Lando Norris, both British, are also stepping up to Formula One next year with faded former champions Williams and McLaren respectively.

Albon, who was runner-up in the GP3 series to 2019 Ferrari driver Charles Leclerc, said it was an amazing feeling to realise a dream.

“Throughout my single-seater career, I went through a few ups and downs. I was dropped by Red Bull in 2012, so from then I knew my road to Formula One was going to be a lot harder,” he said.

“I worked really hard and tried to impress every time I got in the car, and I have to say a big thank you to Red Bull and (their motorsport consultant) Dr (Helmut) Marko for believing in me and giving me a second chance.”

Honda-powered Toro Rosso finished ninth in the championship that finished in Abu Dhabi on Sunday.

Toro Rosso Statement:

Scuderia Toro Rosso is pleased to announce that Alexander Albon will drive for the team in the 2019 Formula 1 season, alongside Daniil Kvyat.

The 22-year-old British/Thai driver has had a very impressive season in Formula 2 this year and, up until last weekend in Abu Dhabi, he was one of only two drivers who could have won the title. A start line collision in the feature race ended his hopes, but he still finished third overall in the F1 feeder series with a total of four wins.

Like all his contemporaries, Albon started racing in karts winning various championships. He joined the Red Bull programme in 2012. He had a great season in 2016, when he finished second in GP3 to his team-mate Charles Leclerc. This year was his second season in F2. Although born in London (UK,) Albon races under the Thailand flag. It means that 2019 will be the first time there has been a Thai driver on the Formula 1 grid since Prince Birabongse, who raced in the early Fifties.

Franz Tost, Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda Team Principal, commented: “Alexander had an impressive Formula 2 season in 2018. He won four races and finished the Championship third. The way he is able to overtake many of his rivals in the races shows that he is ready and matured to race in Formula 1. Scuderia Toro Rosso is very much looking forward to 2019, as with Daniil and Alex we have two young, very strong and competitive drivers.”

Alex Albon: “It’s such an amazing feeling to know that I’m in Formula 1 next year. Throughout my single seater career, I went through a few ups and downs. I was dropped by Red Bull in 2012, so from then I knew my road to Formula 1 was going to be a lot harder. I worked really hard and tried to impress every time I got in the car, and I have to say a big thank you to Red Bull and Dr Marko for believing in me and giving me a second chance. I’ve always been motorsport mad and since I first got in a car it’s been my dream to be in Formula 1. To be given this opportunity is just incredible.”

VERSTAPPEN: ATTENDING F1 AWARDS LIKE COMMUNITY SERVICE

F1GrandPrixofAbuDhabisUxaDYPP8z8x-750x501.jpg

Red Bull driver Max Verstappen has jokingly suggested he could serve part of a community service punishment by attending the governing FIA’s annual prizegiving gala in Russia next month.

The 21-year-old Dutch driver, who was punished by the FIA for an angry post-race altercation with Frenchman Esteban Ocon in Brazil, finished fourth in the championship that ended in Abu Dhabi on Sunday.

The top three drivers must attend the annual awards ceremony, held this year in St. Petersburg on Dec. 7, even if those without trophies to collect would rather be somewhere else.

Verstappen would have beaten Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen to third overall had he finished second in Sunday’s race rather than third and he joked afterwards that it had all been deliberately planned.

Asked by Mercedes’ five times world champion and race winner Lewis Hamilton whether he had secured third place, Verstappen grinned.

“Two points behind (Raikkonen) — but at least I don’t have to go to the Gala,” he said.

“Lucky you,” replied Hamilton, a regular at the ceremony with four titles in the last five years and as runner-up in 2016.

“We calculated that,” replied Verstappen. “I’m sorry. Unless I can do it as a community service day, and then I will go. “I’ll do some PR stuff before? How great the whole venue is, I’ll do a special speech in the evening…”

Speaking to Sky Sports television later, and in response to a question about whether he might soon be emptying refuse bins, Verstappen said the community service would have to be ‘suitable’.

“I’m definitely not going to look silly because I think I am anyway already very harshly treated by that,” he said. “So we’ll find something suitable. Because I’m not going to look like an idiot.”

The FIA has yet to decide what it has in mind for the Dutchman, winner of two races this year and seen as a future champion.

• Like 1

VANDOORNE: THERE WERE POLITICS BUT I CAN’T TALK ABOUT THAT

alonso-vandoorne-1-750x501.jpg

Stoffel Vandoorne spent two years at McLaren hampered by a seriously bad car and teammate to Fernando Alonso, one of the top drivers in the sport, the quiet-spoken Belgian kept a low profile while the Spaniard trounced him and captured headlines.

Now as he departs Formula 1, McLaren and heads to Formula E, Vandoorne suggested that polemics within the Woking outfit exacerbated his frustration as the season progressed.

Looking back on two disappointing seasons, the highly rated 26-year-old told reporters after retiring from the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, “From the outside, you don’t always see everything that goes on behind the scenes, all the politics. I can not reveal everything but you can imagine some things…”

“Personally, I have no regrets, I did my job as best as I could, what I missed the most at certain moments was the full confidence and backing from the team.”

“It is not always easy to perform and give the best of yourself when you know that at the same the team is negotiating with other drivers, but I did not give up and ended my season with some good races.”

Of his final race for the team in Abu Dhabi on Sunday, Vandoorne said, “It was a pretty good race. I had fun out there today – we knew it was going to be a tough one for us, especially without there being many incidents.”

“We fought very hard and closed in on a couple of cars, and that was a really enjoyable part of the race. I fought like hell to keep cars behind! I’m happy with what we did this year with what we had.”

“It’s great to finish the season – we gave everything and now I’m happy to see the chequered flag.  I gave it everything. It’s time to celebrate a little bit and then time to move on to something fresh. I’m looking forward to it,” added Vandoorne.

• Like 1

BROWN: STOFFEL IS DEFINITELY A FORMULA 1 CALIBRE DRIVER

896cabe2ead33dd8146fe3125853fa085495376faf1791121db37843-750x500.jpg

Stoffel Vandoorne said farewell to Formula 1 at Sunday’s season-finale Abu Dhabi Grand Prix but McLaren chief Zak Brown would not be surprised to see the Belgian back on a future starting grid.

The 26-year-old, who dominated the 2015 GP2 championship but struggled in Formula One with an uncompetitive car, will debut in the all-electric Formula E series next month with the Mercedes-affiliated HWA Racelab team.

In two seasons with McLaren, Vandoorne managed a best result of seventh and was outqualified by double world champion team mate Fernando Alonso in all 21 races this season.

“I think Stoffel’s a great talent,” Brown told Reuters. “I think he did have a fair crack at it in a very poor race car but we gave him two solid years and we gave Fernando and himself equal equipment.

“He did have a pretty difficult teammate but sometimes things don’t click and I think he’ll go on to be successful in Formula E. I think we could see him back in Formula One,” added the American.

“I wouldn’t be surprised, it wouldn’t be the first time a driver struggled a little bit at first and then gelled a little bit later on. I think Stoffel is definitely a Formula One calibre driver, so you can see him back for sure.”

Vandoorne told reporters in Abu Dhabi it was hard to see how things might pan out but he was not ruling out a comeback either.

While his main focus would now be Formula E, he would be keeping the lines of communication open.

“I’m tying up with Mercedes, I’m going to be their simulator driver which will be a new experience for me as well so I will keep in contact with Formula One and I will still be involved in this world,” he said.

McLaren will have an all-new lineup in 2019, with Spaniard Carlos Sainz joining from Renault while F2 runner-up Lando Norris moves up from a reserve role to make his Formula One debut.

Alonso has kept open the possibility of a return, not entirely convincingly, but Brown said McLaren, former champions without a win since 2012, saw the pairing as a long-term one.

“We needed to make a change, a bit of a fresh start,” said the American. “We wanted to go with a young lineup that we can hold on to for a while.”

ASTON MARTIN: WE CANCELLED OUR F1 ENGINE PLANS

aston-martin-ceo-andrew-palmer-addresses-the-media-during-the-85th-international-motor-show-in-geneva-march-3-2015-750x501.jpg

Aston Martin lost interest in making a Formula 1  engine after the sport changed its mind about new rules from 2021, chief executive Andy Palmer said on Sunday.

The British sportscar maker, title sponsor of former world champions Red Bull Racing, had talked this year about the possibility of becoming an engine supplier.

Formula One’s post-2020 vision set out in April envisaged cheaper and simpler engines to encourage new manufacturers into the sport, with Porsche and Aston Martin attending some meetings.

“When it looked like the rules were going to change, we did take a look at whether we should do our own engine for F1,” Palmer told Reuters ahead of Sunday’s season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

“But then [commercial rights holders] Liberty [Media] essentially changed their mind and continued with the current engine, so we cancelled those plans.”

Red Bull announced last June that it would switch from Renault to Honda engines next season in a deal that also includes 2020.

Commercial agreements with teams, loosely referred to as ‘Concorde’, run to the end of 2020 and Liberty are keen to create a more level playing field and improve competition after then.

The current 1.6 litre V6 turbo hybrid engines were introduced in 2014, since when only the top three teams have won a race and Mercedes have won all 10 drivers’ and constructors’ titles.

The engines have been criticised as too costly and complicated but the four existing manufacturers are wary of incurring significant costs in developing an alternative just as the power gaps are closing.

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner said in August it would be better to take more time to get the future engine right and change before 2023 was unlikely.

“The premise that was being put forward originally was an investment cap on the engine and it would be simplified,” said Palmer.

“Simplification was around the turbo charger and the energy recovery, essentially taking that unit out which is where the majority of the development exists. As soon as the cap was removed it was not viable for us.”

Palmer said Aston backed Red Bull’s Honda partnership, and saw the Japanese manufacturer working hard to improve performance.

“Red Bull makes its own decision, I’m certainly supportive of that decision. It is a good way to go,” he added.

Aston Martin also announced it was a establishing a new regional office at Yas Marina, with the circuit becoming the marque’s official ‘home’ in the Middle East.

• Like 1

Perez pleased to help protect Force India's P7 in F1 Constructors' Championship

jm1825no244.jpg

Racing Point Force India's Sergio Perez was pleased to have helped his team maintain its seventh place in the Formula 1 Constructors' Championship at the season-ending race in Abu Dhabi.

Perez had started the race down in 14th place after a tough qualifying session, however, the Mexican driver utilised the inherent speed of the VJM11 chassis to cut through the field.

It was a nervous race for the team as Sauber looked set to jump ahead after the Swiss team had performed better than them over the weekend.

When Marcus Ericsson retired on lap 24, Force India found themselves in a strong position to stay ahead in the standings, though a late retirement for Esteban Ocon didn't help their cause.

Sauber's Charles Leclerc managed to finish in seventh place, just one place ahead of Perez, but it was not enough to help the Hinwil-based outfit surpass Force India.

"Considering everything that has happened this weekend, I am pleased to finish inside the points," said Perez.

"I’ve not been happy with the car and I’ve not had the pace we expected. We just never solved the balance issue and I think there could be some damage somewhere in the car.

"The start of the race was very important and after a strong first lap, I was up inside the top 10. After that, the strategy worked as planned and my main competition was Leclerc.

"I was very close to him in the final few laps, but I just didn’t have the pace to overtake him.

"I am pleased we could protect the seventh place in the teams' championship and it was important to end the season with some points."

Force India maintained seventh place in the Constructors' Championship by just four points over Sauber.

Charles Leclerc was left wanting more after finishing seventh in Abu Dhabi

jm1825no263.jpg

Charles Leclerc was left wanting more from the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix after finishing in seventh place in his last Formula 1 race for Sauber.

The Monegasque driver had started from eighth on the grid, a fantastic opening lap of the race saw him get the jump on Romain Grosjean in the opening few corners.

Leclerc was then able to get past Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo, moments before an early safety car was called while marshals helped Renault's Nico Hulkenberg in his upside down R.S.18 after a clash with Grosjean.

At the restart, Leclerc was able to keep pace with the leaders, even making a move for fourth place on the man he will replace at Ferrari for 2019 - Kimi Raikkonen.

Raikkonen was forced to retire later in the lap after his SF-71H lost all power and was unable to get it going again, prompting a Virtual Safety Car.

Sauber subsequently pitted Leclerc to try and get his mandatory stop out of the way, but this left the 21-year old back in 14th place and in a lot of traffic. This meant time was lost to other midfield runners

"I think that there was more in the race for us, but we rounded off the season with a decent P7 and some more points," said Leclerc.

"I would like to thank the Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team for this incredible year and everything they have taught me. It has been great to work together and to see all of the effort reflected in the progress we have made.

"We can all be proud to have been part of it, and I wish them all the best for the future."

Leclerc will be testing with his new Ferrari team in the post-race Abu Dhabi tyre test.

P6 in Abu Dhabi 'payback' for France and Mexico - Carlos Sainz Jr

jm1825no613.jpg

Carlos Sainz Jr described his sixth-place finish at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix as 'payback' for problems he suffered in the French and Mexican Grands Prix earlier in the 2018 Formula 1 season.

The 24-year old rounded out his season with a solid drive after 55 laps of the Yas Marina circuit to bring his Renault R.S.18 across the line as 'best of the rest'.

The Spaniard finished in eighth at Paul Ricard after running as high as third at one stage, before being passed by the Daniel Ricciardo and the two Ferraris of Kimi Raikkonen and Sebastian Vettel.

In Mexico, his race was curtailed on lap 28 after a battery problem took him out of the top midfield position, leaving team-mate Nico Hulkenberg to take that honour instead.

Sainz had missed out on the final part of qualifying which meant a free-tyre choice ahead of the race, he ran long on the ultrasoft tyres before switching to red-marked supersofts to get him to the chequered flag.

"Today was a really great result for us and this sixth place feels a bit like payback for France and Mexico," said Sainz Jr.

"We deserve it! I had a very strong pace all the way and it was a perfectly executed race. We achieved fourth in the Constructors’ Championship and it is a very big result for us.

"This last race of the season firmly demonstrates all the progress made this year. I leave this team feeling very happy with what we’ve achieved and as a driver, it makes me especially motivated.

"This was my last race with the Renault team and I thank everyone for the last year and a half. I’m not leaving the family and look forward to continuing to see many of my Renault colleagues as I join McLaren."

Sainz finished the season 10th in the Driver's Championship and will be testing with his new McLaren team in the post-race tyre test in Abu Dhabi.

Sensor trick could give Mercedes edge in F1 tyre test

Sensor trick could give Mercedes edge in F1 tyre test

Mercedes could have given itself an edge over its rivals for this week’s Formula 1 tyre test in Abu Dhabi with the clever use of sensors.
This week’s two-day run at the Yas Marina Circuit is aimed at giving teams the chance to test F1’s 2019 tyre construction and compounds.

In a bid to stop teams also using the opportunity to experiment with new parts, however, teams must run with a standard car that does not feature any items that have not been raced.

It was this rule that prevented teams from being able to try out 2019 front wings during this test.

The rules also stop teams from being able to fit extra sensors to their cars – as are allowed during free practice sessions – to help gather extra aerodynamic data.

However, Mercedes appears to have pulled a masterstroke by racing with some extra sensors on Lewis Hamilton’s car in the season closing Abu Dhabi Grand Prix – which means it will be able to keep the data-loggers on for the Pirelli test.

As the exclusive photo shows, the row of five pitot tubes, situated at the rear of the floor and ahead of the rear wheel, will be there to measure air speed around the sidepod’s rearward undercut.

One of the key influencers in terms of turbulence around this area of the car is the rear wheel, so using the sensors in the Abu Dhabi race as well as the test could deliver some helpful pointers about the impact of the 2019 changes – especially in terms of tyre defomation.

Car of Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes AMG F1