scandi-noir tv series

Ken Gargett

there are a heap of great series coming out over recent years, plus from france and other parts of europe. we get to see them here on SBS, a public broadcaster (yes, i suppose they'd be on some cable station somewhere).

some obviously better than others. i watched a ten part series recently - 'Before We Die' - from sweden. most of the series here at least get some publicity or you can get good info on them on the internet or the SBS site. there is almost nothing on this series and it was on quite late at night. i video'd it and then watched it right through.

this is one of the best series, not just scandi but from anywhere, i have seen in years. hugely recommended if anyone can find it. no spoilers but basically a young bloke gets dobbed in for dealing drugs by his cop mother and joins a croatian gang on release from prison. that is all first couple of minutes. from there, i was edge of seat from the rest of it (i thought i was too old for that sort of thing). plenty of twists and turns and some very unexpected developments done really well.

strongly recommended.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

there are a heap of great series coming out over recent years, plus from france and other parts of europe. we get to see them here on SBS, a public broadcaster (yes, i suppose they'd be on some cable station somewhere).

some obviously better than others. i watched a ten part series recently - 'Before We Die' - from sweden. most of the series here at least get some publicity or you can get good info on them on the internet or the SBS site. there is almost nothing on this series and it was on quite late at night. i video'd it and then watched it right through.

this is one of the best series, not just scandi but from anywhere, i have seen in years. hugely recommended if anyone can find it. no spoilers but basically a young bloke gets dobbed in for dealing drugs by his cop mother and joins a croatian gang on release from prison. that is all first couple of minutes. from there, i was edge of seat from the rest of it (i thought i was too old for that sort of thing). plenty of twists and turns and some very unexpected developments done really well.

strongly recommended.

Was it subtitled Ken or in English? If so, was it still easy to follow?

• 2 weeks later...

As a Swede (albeit expat), I can recommend Bron (or The Bridge) which is a collaboration between Swedish and Danish public TV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bridge_(2011_TV_series)

I think an American version was made but you want the original one (I think its still ongoing so several seasons deep). I've heard plenty of praise from non-Scandinavians and it has had quite a bit of success elsewhere in Europe so there are bound to be good English subtitles floating around.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, encephalization said:

As a Swede (albeit expat), I can recommend Bron (or The Bridge) which is a collaboration between Swedish and Danish public TV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bridge_(2011_TV_series)

I think an American version was made but you want the original one (I think its still ongoing so several seasons deep). I've heard plenty of praise from non-Scandinavians and it has had quite a bit of success elsewhere in Europe so there are bound to be good English subtitles floating around.

we had the original on our SBS several years ago. enjoyed it. by coincidence, i saw that they are repeating the last series starting this week.

also liked Borgen.

Have you seen Wallander? In the same vein is Hinterland (Welsh), The Loch, Shetland and Fortitude.

Trying to find "Before We Die," but not finding on Torrent or Usenet... ah found your SBS on demand... 

19 minutes ago, Naug said:

Have you seen Wallander? In the same vein is Hinterland (Welsh), The Loch, Shetland and Fortitude.

Trying to find "Before We Die," but not finding on Torrent or Usenet... ah found your SBS on demand... 

Found it on the Usenet - sadly with hard coded German subtitles

32 minutes ago, Naug said:

seen all the Wallanders. enjoyed that series. also fortitude and Shetland - new series starts tomorrow. not seen the others. thanks, will keep an eye out.

19 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

seen all the Wallanders. enjoyed that series. also fortitude and Shetland - new series starts tomorrow. not seen the others. thanks, will keep an eye out.

I'm sure you've seen Luther 

Whitechapel and Vera.... safe to assume you're clued in to all the BBC crunchy gravel shows?

Just now, Naug said:

Whitechapel and Vera.... safe to assume you're clued in to all the BBC crunchy gravel shows?

whitechapel had its moments. vera did nothing for me but mates love it. endeavour not bad though i never watch the original morse.

broadchurch i loved. thought that superb.

and sherlock, of course.

27 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

broadchurch i loved. thought that superb.

and sherlock, of course.

Vera.... Makes the wife happy.

Endeavor is great. I've seen a few Morse and all of Lewis, I really liked Lewis.

Sherlock - yup.

Used to like inspector George Gently, but I've grown weary of the sidekicks crud attitude.

To throw another series in the ring - Håkan Nesser's Van Veeteren. If you are looking for twists and turns and a well written story, that's one for you.

I really like what is coming out of Scandinavia in this genre (though they seem to be pretty limited in their actors - everywhere you run across Mikael Persbrandt...haha). Long standing series 'Beck' also had some good episodes. And another solidly-made Swedish series Oskyldigt dömd (innocently convicted) also had some pretty good plots (not sure whether aired outside Europe). Also looking forward to seeing more from Jo Nesbø on TV.

Started watching a new series - Bancroft. I've enjoyed, a little grimier than some British TV.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/18/2018 at 1:07 PM, Ken Gargett said:

strongly recommended.

Ken

Came across a new Scandi-Noir from Netflix today - Borderliner . I have not had the opportunity to watch it yet, but the review is promising.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not quite what I would call Scandi-noir, but did anyone watch “the rain” on Netflix? It was reasonably enjoyable.

• 2 months later...
On 1/18/2018 at 4:07 PM, Ken Gargett said:

strongly recommended.

I see there is another new Scandi Noir series on SBS on demand at the moment called Greyzone which looks interesting but maybe a bit more commercial perhaps. I think I might give it a watch maybe next week. But also want to start Before We Die as well.