Gratuities in Havana?

JY0

What is appropriate? CUC or USD? The last thing I want to do is offend anyone. What is standard for a driver/tour guide, a restaurant, etc. How much?

In years past I've read it's also a good idea to bring things like toothpaste, toothbrushes and soap...small, easy to pack and much needed. Is this till the case?

Thank you all.

CUC is better from my experience. They can’t use USD and have to exchange anyway.
And yes, the locals do appreciate giving some items you mentioned. I have brought almost brand new Nike shoes, adidas dry fit shirts etc, and they really appreciate it. Mine you this has always been at the resorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/29/2019 at 3:33 AM, stektan said:

Hi, I would like to know what would be the appropriate tips to give for the below. While I'm sure they enjoy the tips, I do not want to be over generous to spoil them as well. 

- Hotel per night for housekeeping?

- Tour guide for 1 whole day?

- Meals in a restaurants? Drinks in bar?

- Taxi for one trip?

Much appreciated...

As a general rule:

- CUC is your currency

- 10% for meals/drinks etc... 20% is prob too much unless you just want to.

- Taxi - If it's private taxi you will pay more by default (Classic Car or Taxi with the letter "P" on the left hand side of the license plate), the fee they ask for should not require a tip. Their tip is built in. If they are amazing and you pass another 10 or 20 spot. Do it.  

If it's a government taxi, they have to charge govt metered rates and would appreciate a tip but not absolutely necessary. 10% rule applies for me there based on level of service. 

- Your Tour Guide for a day, tip is built in. They'll charge $75-$150/day and that's more than enough for them to have had a great day.

- Housekeeping is your discretion, but $2-$3 a day would be appreciated at as base level, more if you want to reward more.