Cigarillos

Rustyman

Who smokes them and which ones are good?

I have recently returned from the Netherlands where smoking a normal sized cigar was not an option due to complete ban on smoking at my lodgings and the persistent cold and rain.

Got me some Cohiba Shorts, Partagas Chicos and two types of Davidoff cigarillos.  This worked surprisingly well and I quite enjoyed the quick 10-15 minute smokes.

What else is out there in the cigarillo world which is nice and tasty.?

I've smoked the Cohiba Shorts and the Partagas Chicos and much prefer the Shorts as they appear less harsh. 

Haven't touched the Davidoff yet but hopefully those are more nuanced.

Also have tried some Wintermans before but those are just in a different taste spectrum as they taste like I image machine rolled dry cigarillos would taste and that is not a positive.

Had a Davidoff cigarillo yesterday.  a bit between the Cohiba Short and the Partagas Chico.  Longer but thinner than the Short and slightly dryer more tobacco taste but enjoyable anyways.

• 4 weeks later...

Have now smoked my way through 3 packs of Cohiba Shorts, 2 packs of Partagas Chicos, 2 packs of Davidoff Club Cigarillos and am making my way through my second pack of Davidoff Demi Tasse.

My conclusions are the following (and these are only my opinions):

- Cohiba Shorts are the best approximation of a cigar in cigarillo form.  Taste, flavour.

- Partigas Chicos are second best as they have a slight reminder of that Partagas DNA but they also improve in the humidor

- Davidoff Club are simply too dry and small.  They bear little resemblance to cigars.

- Davidoff Demi Tasse.  Longer and more cigar in appearance but once more, when smoking, does not have any real cigar taste and experience

In the future, I only plan on repeat buying the Cohiba Shorts.  They give me what I want, a quasi cigar experience in a short 15-20 minute format.

On 2/27/2018 at 7:39 PM, Rustyman said:

Have now smoked my way through 3 packs of Cohiba Shorts, 2 packs of Partagas Chicos, 2 packs of Davidoff Club Cigarillos and am making my way through my second pack of Davidoff Demi Tasse.

My conclusions are the following (and these are only my opinions):

- Cohiba Shorts are the best approximation of a cigar in cigarillo form.  Taste, flavour.

- Partigas Chicos are second best as they have a slight reminder of that Partagas DNA but they also improve in the humidor

- Davidoff Club are simply too dry and small.  They bear little resemblance to cigars.

- Davidoff Demi Tasse.  Longer and more cigar in appearance but once more, when smoking, does not have any real cigar taste and experience

In the future, I only plan on repeat buying the Cohiba Shorts.  They give me what I want, a quasi cigar experience in a short 15-20 minute format.

Do you individually remove all the cellos from the chicos when you throw them in the humi? I assume so, but I’m lazy ?

8 hours ago, cfc1016 said:

Do you individually remove all the cellos from the chicos when you throw them in the humi? I assume so, but I’m lazy ?

No.  Far to lazy for that!

14 minutes ago, Rustyman said:

No.  Far to lazy for that!

Cool. So the seal is loose enough that they still benefit from the humidor conditions. Good to hear. I ordered a 175 (7x25) pack of em recently. Gonna take me a while to polish em kff ( hopefully). Will be interested to see how they change

• 1 month later...
On 3/1/2018 at 7:07 PM, Rustyman said:

Yeah, best advice I can find on cellos is that they "breathe" so maybe cut off one end if you are still worried.

just saw this. i didn't bother, and i don't have a ton left now, anyway. I've enjoyed the heck out of em and shared a lot. I think there's about a box left at most, lol

There's nothing beyond the Partagas Chicos and Cohiba Shorts, to my taste. There's something in the Partagas Chicos that is only available elsewhere in a well-aged Partagas Presidente.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, cfc1016 said:

they were on sale briefly (elsewhere) at $118/7x25. Kicked myself for missing that...

Yeah, that was a screaming deal. I'll be happy I took advantage of that come next winter.

My favourites are CoSho, Partagas Chicos and RyJ Puritos. I think it´s important to smoke these slowly to get good flavour. Usually it takes about 25min for me, Cohibas are a bit shorter. 

On 5/6/2018 at 12:02 PM, cfc1016 said:

they were on sale briefly (elsewhere) at $118/7x25. Kicked myself for missing that...

I paid full price at the same vendor three days before they went on sale. :huh: Still happy though. Great smokes

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1