Cohiba Lancero 2001

99call

So i decided to do this review after the recent Cohiba poll done by El Pres. I found the discussion very interesting, as I'm not a big Cohiba fan, but I do respect their product and what they try to achieve. The flavour profile and position in the market is of great value to the habanos range, and whilst it doesn't float my boat especially, I'm glad it gives others a great amount of pleasure.

Appearance/Construction: Classically firm early 2000's roll, but no plugs out of the box, and drawing fine. Lovely wrapper, and well rolled

1/3:  Watery out the gate, very cool almost bison grass herbaceous flavour coming through, not much else

2/3:  This is the guts of the cigar, and the whole way through it reminded me of one thing 'Sfakiani pita' This is an unusual Cretan desert that me and my missus enjoyed whilst on holiday last year. It was enthusiastically sold to us in a family restaurant as "flat cheese bag".  We ordered it more out of comedy value more than anything. anyway it turned out to be heavenly.  A baked filo parcel filled with buttery/lemony Mizithra cheese, topped with toasted nigella seeds and floral wild honey. 

Whilst very enjoyable, Cohiba is always something 'other' to me, I admire it's finesse, and a see the attraction (to some degree) but it doesn't feel like a cigar to me. It's a bit like what I imagine having a meal in El Bulli, or Noma to be like, very interesting and educational, but hard to describe as wonderful. I always want my cigars to very base, and like a human experience, whereas Cohiba, always leaves me feeling cold, like it's been refined to the point, where some of the soul has been removed. Just my opinion

3/3:  Theres still a bit of sour twang and body in this 17yr old cigar, it's still very clean though, and this clean lemony twang is the one dimension in the final third.

Conclusion:  Am glad this experience exists in the Habanos line up, (as stated before). and in terms of value i think if an extra 75% of effort goes in at every stage of production, then I do think the premium is worth it. Ultimately as with everything, percentage of improvement within luxury goods does get more finite the higher you go up the tree you go. i.e  a £50 bottle of wine may be 3 times better than a £25 bottle,  but a £200 bottle of wine may only be 1/5 better than the £50.   For me though, it stands outside of what I consider to be a classic cuban cigar experience, which is why I always struggle to understand/enjoy the brand. 

IMG_20180125_105125.jpg

3c5fbeb4c4b705c0093a0904110f7b87.jpg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, havanaclub said:

Excellent review. I really need to smoke one of these to experience the finesse many talk about and make my opinions.
Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just my opinion, but a Fundadores of the same age would be 10 times the quality of this cigar. I had some 2004 Fundys and they were proper nirvana moment cigars.  Whatever you smoke, I hope it's excellent. thanks for the comment

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 1/29/2018 at 10:57 AM, 99call said:

Just my opinion, but a Fundadores of the same age would be 10 times the quality of this cigar. I had some 2004 Fundys and they were proper nirvana moment cigars.  Whatever you smoke, I hope it's excellent. thanks for the comment

Totally agree and proof of why cost is no indicator of utility.

Especially when you factor in scarcity and just overall human nature, there is just no way to equate more money to more enjoyment. 

Sounds like it was an enjoyable smoke for you and, at the end of the day, that’s all that really matters. 

• 7 months later...

great review....i have a couple of five packs i have had sitting around in my humidor for a good few years now untouched and from the same date. you have inspired me to finally give one a go.