Rum Wars: Havana Club v Havana Club

Add it to the list of Cuban brands being ripped off by others that seemingly get away with it without recourse.  Flip the script and im sure the outcome would be significantly different

Just wait (I know wishful thinking) when CC's become available in the U.S. . I mean how many time has the court ruling gone back and forth between the cigar branded names in the US that match all the CC brands.  Makes you dizzy thinking about it.

40 minutes ago, LeafLegionWW said:

Add it to the list of Cuban brands being ripped off by others that seemingly get away with it without recourse.  Flip the script and im sure the outcome would be significantly different

I find it a moral challenge to support the argument that the Cuban government has rights in misappropriated (oops, "nationalized") intellectual property that should be honored by the rest of the world. Further, the Cuban HC product is not permitted to be sold in the US, so there is no competitor to protect in the relevant market nor is there a significant concern that the consumer is going to be duped/confused into thinking that the Bacardi stuff is really the Cuban brand.

Bacardi is clearly not trading its HC brand here to leverage that name for greater sales.  The Bacardi strategy is in place as a preemptive move to keep HC out of the states without a rights deal being done post embargo. Bacardi is not entering HC space here but HC would be entering Bacardi space if they wish to come here in the future when it is permitted. I was quite surprised to see the Bacardi CEO being so transparent about this on the record.

• Like 1

Like I needed another reason to hate the world this morning Rob.

Hope your well, And hope to share a cigar with you again someday soon!