Six Nations 2018

ayepatz

3 hours ago, morty said:

That Irish drop goal...wow! 

Scotland we’re so poor , after all the hype too.

this what happens when you don't get to play your bunnies every week - that would be us.

shows just where we should rank in international rugby. and the emphasis should be on 'rank'. hey, but at least we'll have our drug dealer back. apparently throwing away evidence means the cops could not be arsed to proceed.

4 hours ago, morty said:

That Irish drop goal...wow! 

Scotland we’re so poor , after all the hype too.

Sensational kick from Sexton.

Scotland do seem to make a habit of failing to deliver in the Six Nations after a promising autumn. Our self-belief is so fragile, that it crumbles in the face of spirited opposition. And Wales were certainly that today. 

Barclay was as disappointing as Wyn Jones was admirable. And any rugby fan must be happy to see Halfpenny scoring tries again. 

Just wish it wasn’t against Scotland!

23 minutes ago, 99call said:

Come on Wales!!!!. I was dreading it. But now I'm chuffed to bits. Sorry for the loss lain, I know all too well how it feels

Haha, mate, yes we’ve all been there, although I think, if you include the Five Nations, Scotland have the edge on wooden spoons. ?

On 03/02/2018 at 11:22 PM, ayepatz said:

Haha, mate, yes we’ve all been there, although I think, if you include the Five Nations, Scotland have the edge on wooden spoons. ?

I'm frustrated on your behalf Iain. Unfortunately the resurrecting of great teams for countries like Ireland, Wales and Scotland, requires us to get almost 100% of everything right, and along this road, there are many false dawns. I remember living through the era of Graham Henry, Mike Ruddock, Steve Hanson for Wales, and every year there was some nonsensical expectation that Wales were, once again the team of the 1970s, and all the hype used to make my piss boil.

I think more importantly than beating Wales, or any six nations fixture, things like employing Richard Cockrill at Edinburgh will solidify the foundation of Scottish rugby, and see them putting consistent performances together on the international stage. 

I do think letting Vern Cotter go completely, was a big mistake. If he's ended up coaching a non-international side, why couldn't that side, have been Glasgow. I'm imagining heeps of cash had something to do with it, but I do think they've missed a trick in retaining him somehow, even if it would cost and arm and a leg.

Anyway, I hope Scotland bounce back, once their pack returns, they have had moments of brilliance in the last few years, and long may it continue...................just not against Wales. 

(It was) Frustrating to see Scotland put on a poor performance like that. Hopefully they can become more competitive quickly. On the other hand, nice to see Wales play so well. It makes me look forward to England-Wales this weekend and England-Scotland the weekend after.

4 minutes ago, JohnS said:

It makes me look forward to England-Wales 

I desperately want to look forward to this, but England are looking ominously good. And their current strength in depth is about 4 teams deep in each position. 

I hope it comes down to grit and desire, as if this is the case (as with the 2015 RWC) Wales will come out on top. 

When are you gonna take Eddie back???? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 05/02/2018 at 12:48 PM, 99call said:

I think more importantly than beating Wales, or any six nations fixture, things like employing Richard Cockrill at Edinburgh will solidify the foundation of Scottish rugby, and see them putting consistent performances together on the international stage. 

I do think letting Vern Cotter go completely, was a big mistake.

Cockerill is a shrewd appointment by Edinburgh, no doubt. But with only Glasgow and Edinburgh realistically as top level teams, the sport looks sadly destined to head the same way as Scottish Football.

Cotter did some great work, and I appreciate that Townsend has come in with a new, attacking ethos. I just hope he doesn't gloss over some of the grit and determination that Cotter instilled.

20 minutes ago, JohnS said:

(It was) Frustrating to see Scotland put on a poor performance like that. Hopefully they can become more competitive quickly. On the other hand, nice to see Wales play so well. It makes me look forward to England-Wales this weekend and England-Scotland the weekend after.

Agreed, John. I think England v Wales will be a corker. If the Welsh lads can topple them at Twickenham, that would be a terrific result. Given the 61-21 humiliation we suffered last year at Twickenham ( I was there, Lord have mercy) , our boys have a point to prove at Murrayfield.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ayepatz said:

I was there, Lord have mercy

God that must have been awful, watching all the tory England fans doing that kind of awkward dancing royals do, when they go to do state visits in pacific islands, whist wearing jesters hats............chilling, It's making me cringe just typing it. 

Best of luck for the Calcutta cup, I remember this Duncan Hodge try like it was yesterday, It was particularly sweet, as you smashed them at their own game, Oh and Austin Healey was playing...perfect.

• Haha 1

So, gutted Wales lost to England on the weekend. Lots of hype to this match as ever, even though historically over the last 5 years we've actually seen Ireland as more of a competitor, they have been the best games.

Eddie Jones's mask is starting to slip, and a bit of genuine Mr Nasty is starting to spill out here and there. 

England deserved their win, even though there was a clear Welsh try disallowed (yes I have seen the Steff Evans finger slow mo, and the ball travels backwards). As a level headed individual I could clearly see from that game, that even if we had scored, England had the class to score again. That said, Wales were still playing in the final quarter, whilst England looked like they were breathing through their arse. 

I thought with the amount of injuries to the Wales squad they did very well to only go down to 6 points. England post match are always in a bit of a mental state, as anything other than "thrashing" or "emphatic victory" their fans are not happy with.............the reason? ....the reason is 'a by the skin of your teeth victory' does not work, for England fans, in many ways they would rather lose, it's either supreme gloating, or nothing. 

Mike Brown had a great game, but on the flip side (regardless of what anyone says) he's a vile human being. He may be a lovely bloke off the field????, but on it, he's utter scum. celebrating peoples mistakes etc (along with Itoje) they are the bottom of the barrel

All said, being unpleasant people, will not stop England from winning the world cup, and they are looking dangerous. This has always been the way. Patriotism and passion in England has always been gilt with hate and awkwardness, and this frustrates both the English and their opposition equally. 

Ultimately gritty teams with heart, can always match Englands money and pampering,  it's the great equaliser. 

It will make the the RWC in Japan fascinating. Ireland, England, NZ, Argentina all to be in the mix, come the quarters. 

23 minutes ago, 99call said:

So, gutted Wales lost to England on the weekend. Lots of hype to this match as ever, even though historically over the last 5 years we've actually seen Ireland as more of a competitor, they have been the best games.

Eddie Jones's mask is starting to slip, and a bit of genuine Mr Nasty is starting to spill out here and there. 

England deserved their win, even though there was a clear Welsh try disallowed (yes I have seen the Steff Evans finger slow mo, and the ball travels backwards). As a level headed individual I could clearly see from that game, that even if we had scored, England had the class to score again. That said, Wales were still playing in the final quarter, whilst England looked like they were breathing through their arse. 

I thought with the amount of injuries to the Wales squad they did very well to only go down to 6 points. England post match are always in a bit of a mental state, as anything other than "thrashing" or "emphatic victory" their fans are not happy with.............the reason? ....the reason is 'a by the skin of your teeth victory' does not work, for England fans, in many ways they would rather lose, it's either supreme gloating, or nothing. 

Mike Brown had a great game, but on the flip side (regardless of what anyone says) he's a vile human being. He may be a lovely bloke off the field????, but on it, he's utter scum. celebrating peoples mistakes etc (along with Itoje) they are the bottom of the barrel

All said, being unpleasant people, will not stop England from winning the world cup, and they are looking dangerous. This has always been the way. Patriotism and passion in England has always been gilt with hate and awkwardness, and this frustrates both the English and their opposition equally. 

Ultimately gritty teams with heart, can always match Englands money and pampering,  it's the great equaliser. 

It will make the the RWC in Japan fascinating. Ireland, England, NZ, Argentina all to be in the mix, come the quarters. 

A tough result to take. It was a try. All the English pundits in today’s papers have acknowledged it. Had it been given, the whole tenor of the game would have shifted.

I’m no fan of the English “superior” mentality, but it seems to work for them. You can’t argue with the results.

I agree about the unsportsmanlike behaviour exhibited by Brown, but you can’t just single out the English as being solely guilty of that. It’s becoming more and more prevalent in the game, generally.

On a related note, Brian Moore used to be the anti-Christ, in my eyes, when he was hooking for England, but I am forced to admit that he’s become one of my favourite pundits. He hated the Scots with a passion when he played against us (and I’m not convinced he doesn’t feel the same way now), but I admire his straightforward, honest approach and refreshing lack of bullshit.

A good result for our lads today, but, jings, they made us sweat for it!

Good to see they addressed the defensive weakness which Wales so ably exploited, but they still managed to let two tries through before they shut the door.

I’m not usually a big Laidlaw fan, as I feel he tries to play the referee more often than the advantage, but he certainly justified his selection today. A great performance.

2 minutes ago, ayepatz said:

I’m not usually a big Laidlaw fan, as I feel he tries to play the referee more often than the advantage, but he certainly justified his selection today. A great performance.

Yep I quite like Brian Moore, and i know where your coming from. 

I tried to remain fair in my comment, I do think England are in rich form, and it's interesting in the fact their addition of the Northern lads (with RL heritage) is doing them well. Ultimately what I was trying to get to, is that England fans/team crave utter humiliation of the opposition, and it's born out of awkwardness of their own patriotism, it's like giving an Assault Rifle to a todder, they don't know quite how to wield the power. The St George Cross and English Patriotism itself has been hijacked by NeoNazi's and Football Hooligans.  The resulting effect in English Rugby Union is lots of colonial "days of the Raj' types thinking everyone is against them for no good reason. When your like... I have a good reason!! your dressed in a Barbour gilet, and your calling everyone Jock or Taffy. 

Great to see Scotland to secure the victory. Yep Laidlaw is pretty static and not very confidence building, yet this is "Six Nations Rugby" and sometime being boring and pragmatic, is the way forward.  

Ireland looked to be ominous, England put 40 on the Italians, and Ireland put on 50, I think this tells us a great deal, and I can see Ireland winning by 5 in Twickenham.  Should lead to a very open championship.  I do see France either shocking England or Wales

• 2 weeks later...

Great win for Scotland against England! By the way...help me out @ayepatz and @99call, who are those guys hugging Huw Jones at around the 20 second mark of the highlights below? Are they the security staff, the bench players or fans with yellow security vests? Plus they were on the field, within the in-goal area! I'm still cackling about it! :lol::D

Plus...great try-fest in Dublin between Ireland and Wales!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Plus...great try-fest in Dublin between Ireland and Wales!

Yep, pretty gutted about this, but having seen many 'false dawns' as a Welshman, I'm just bloody happy were playing great rugby............when we actually decide to play. Ha this is the last piece of the jigsaw.  Last year we absolutely crucified Murray and Sexton with physicality, today we were too passive at rucktime, and paid big time.

Anyway enough of my whining.      Come on Scotland, Bloody great win. the only thing thats missing, is an interview with the toxic chimp that is Mike Brown.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Gents! I’ve just seen the game, as I was working earlier.

Can’t quite believe it...✌️????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Listening to Inverdale and Guscott afterwards is amusing! And Eddie’s face.... lol

A great first half display of attacking rugby, but the hard work was done in the second. Phase after phase of English play was turned back without conceding penalties, as we normally do.

John Barclay was immense again, and Russell had a much improved game. Huw Jones just keeps on scoring. Long may it continue.

Managed to catch the Ireland v Wales game earlier, and it was a nail biter right to the end. It could have gone either way, and Wales were unlucky just to be pipped at the last. Another cracker of a game.

And, @JohnS, those were players, and the English were at it too. GET THE HELL OUT OF THE GOAL AREA!!!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 99call said:

Yep, subs, cant say I like it.  Rugby Union is getting a bit American.   Wont be long before people are doing stupid celebration dances if they cross the whitewash

Agreed mate. And the booing the kicker really annoys me. Where’s the class in that?

• Like 1

One thing Dan Bigger learned today, is that if you protest to the ref by throwing your hands out by you sides (whilst holding the ball) this has the unfortunate side effect of the ball dropping to the floor. Dan wait till the whistle is blown, then go apeshit!,, not before

13 minutes ago, 99call said:

One thing Dan Bigger learned today, is that if you protest to the ref by throwing your hands out by you sides (whilst holding the ball) this has the unfortunate side effect of the ball dropping to the floor. Dan wait till the whistle is blown, then go apeshit!,, not before

Haha, yes. “Play the whistle” is a staple of the game, I seem to remember.

Johnny Sexton was off wayward with the boot today. Halfpenny much deadlier.

Thought Shingler had another good day, too.

Just now, ayepatz said:

Haha, yes. “Play the whistle” is a staple of the game, I seem to remember.

Johnny Sexton was off wayward with the boot today. Halfpenny much deadlier.

Thought Shingler had another good day, too.

Looked like a rope-a-dope gone wrong to me. We just looked satisfied to defend, thinking they wouldn't penetrate with tries out wide, and completely forgot how quickly Ireland can score tries in the forwards. Again though, I'm gutted, but in weird way from nowhere we are looking as if we've some how 'come together' into something pretty cohesive after being in the mire of crashball, for the last 5yrs, I'm pretty happy

• Like 1