hot chillies - can they hurt you?

Ken Gargett

I love a good hot chilli pepper and keep a supply of tiny Thai chillies and home grown Scotch bonnets in the freezer for cooking. And a pot of Mr Vikki's Hell Hot Habenero sauce is always in the cupboard.
But eating them raw for shits n giggles isn't clever. At work once someone brought in chillies reputed to be the hottest in the world at the time (there's always a newer hotter one out there) and handed them out. One guy ate one, started sweating and shaking and couldn't drive himself home an hour later. He didn't enjoy the next day either when it worked it's way through...

I quit at anything above serano.

Habaneros almost killed me with immediate hiccups and the spicy anus the next day was just as bad.

• Haha 1

An old boss of mine told me I could have the rest of the day off if I ate one of his ghost peppers before a meeting.  I took him up on it, and had to cut the meeting short. I ended up at my desk drooling into a trash can for a half hour.  He came by and had a good laugh, but he kept his word and I got the day off. Spent an hour on the john after I got home so I'm not sure if I actually won that one.

• Like 1

Friend and I tried some Ghost Pepper and Carolina Reapers. Dried and dusted some crab stuffed mushrooms with the stuff. The Ghost Peppers really were not that bad. Don't get me wrong they were crazy hot and we learned to dust them outside and maybe consider goggles and mask to protect the eyes and nose from getting dust particles to rest there. The Carolina Reapers were just insane. I have neaver eaten anything that my body just completely revolted against me to holding down. My body wanted it out as I was forced into a tirade of drooling, hiccups, slight nausea but I fought past it. Probably regretted it the next morning. Through the night I had to lay on my left side as I near continuously passed gas all night. Finally at 6 am came the toilet rush. My buddy went through the same thing as he texted me at the same time I was on the toilet, shitting out the constantina wire that my body was trying to save me the pain of by trying to get me to vomit the day before. There is absolutly nothing pleasant about the Carolina Reaper. It tastes like eating glass and shitting razor wire. How fun can that be. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, backslide said:

Good article, im currently growing Carolina Reaper, Bahamian Goat,Aji Pinapple, and Chocolate Borg 9 superhots in my hydroponic garden. Here's a pic of my baby Goat pepper growing.3e864186b93eaa069db62deca0b9bac1.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

great stuff. i have a few sauces made from the carolina reaper. a few drops is all that is needed!!

On 2/12/2018 at 1:43 AM, Islandboy said:

Whatever you do, don’t rub your eyes after handling Habaneros. How do I know? Not telling.

About 18 years ago I grew a garden of hot peppers and spent a day cutting and canning them. I wasn’t thinking I needed gloves. Job done and went about my day. Later that evening the missus and I decided to get frisky (naturally beginning with hand stuff). Apparently the capsaicin doesn’t just wear off and she ended up sitting on an ice pack (with a look on her face I’ll never forget).

We divorced a couple years later.. 

:rotfl:

• Haha 1

On 11/02/2018 at 10:43 PM, Islandboy said:

Whatever you do, don’t rub your eyes after handling Habaneros. How do I know? Not telling.

Done it

On 11/02/2018 at 10:44 PM, Ken Gargett said:

or scratch the nether regions. you will howl at the moon for a day.

Done it

1 hour ago, Ethernut said:

About 18 years ago I grew a garden of hot peppers and spent a day cutting and canning them. I wasn’t thinking I needed gloves. Job done and went about my day. Later that evening the missus and I decided to get frisky (naturally beginning with hand stuff). Apparently the capsaicin doesn’t just wear off and she ended up sitting on an ice pack (with a look on her face I’ll never forget).

We divorced a couple years later.. 

:rotfl:

Done it and seen that look :S

Love me some hot peppers. Used to grow tons of habaneros and ghost chillis. Seem to have lost my tolerance now though and find jalapenos hot

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Love yo grow me some fatalli hot peppers. Trinidad scorpions and ring of fire are a go to too. There are much better tasting hot peppers than hobaneros now too available. Look up dragons breath. I think it's in the 2.xx million Scoville and was bread I'm the hopes of making a oral numbing drug.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Man who developed the Carolina Reaper topped it with a new one. http://mentalfloss.com/article/504723/man-who-created-carolina-reaper-has-invented-new-worlds-hottest-pepper

also an interesting conversation. Sounds like he has several more in line after this one. 

• 3 months later...

Love my hot chillies. Getting back into growing them this year, I'm growing Carolina Reaper & Red Savina Habanero.

I have heard that the new Pepper X may possibly cause anaphylaxis in some sensitive people.

On 2/12/2018 at 1:43 AM, Islandboy said:

Jalapeño oil on your eye will wake you up fast.

• Like 1

I love me some hot hot peppers. Fatalli and aji charapita are my favorite cooking peppers at the moment. Got mad respect for the chocolate Trinidad scorpion at the moment. Also might as well buy pure capsaicin if you wanna go hotter. That ****'s brutal and by far a whole weekend ruiner.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Tried a Carolina reaper, sweet fruit for about a split second, chewing barbed wire after that,  hickups, body wanted it out, I kept it down. I think I farted continuosly all night and wasn't sure if I was going to have a heart attack. 6:am came and I'm texting the friend I ate one with and both of us sitting on the toilet, shitting razor wire comparing notes of the night sharing simliar symptoms. So yeah, eat one of those Carolina Reapers and let us know how it goes. 

• Like 1

The hottest thing I've ever had was some Chilli vodka in a pub in London . It was a Thursday afternoon and I had recently started at a new company when we skived off work to go drinking.

I love spicy food and my go to curry is a vindaloo, so when you had to sign a waiver I thought it was all a marketing plot. I downed it in one and whilst it was spicy in the mouth, it wasnt too bad at all. Five minutes later, I felt like I was going to die. The pain in my stomach was so intense I was writhing around on the floor. The whole hellish experience lasted about an hour and I felt like I had some sort of drug as my mind was all over the place.

Attached are pictures of myself and my colleague who also tried it.

Hell!

photo 3 (002).JPG

leigh chilli.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Ive been getting into hot sauces recently. I love them but they don't love me back after a point. I can handle up to habaneros but can't do the super hot sauces. A good one local to me is Bunsters "sh*t the bed" incredible fruit flavour but 16/10 hot is not fun for me! I got their 7/10 and its much more reasonable and you can actually use enough to enjoy the flavour!

• 2 weeks later...