Garoppolo highest paid NFL player in history!

Jimmy Garoppolo inks $137.5M deal, now NFL's highest-paid player

LINK: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22370038/san-francisco-49ers-jimmy-garoppolo-agree-5-year-1375-million-deal

I haven't seen any mention of this, so I'd like to hear what you all think of this deal.

Geez, this guy was hiding in Brady's shadow, and given Brady's age one would think this was a keeper for the franchise. Did they just not know what they had, or what? 

Do you think this guy is worth all that? I mean he helped SF win 5 games, but this guy has little else in terms of experience. WOW! He must be one happy dude...

I don't know what the details are, but the only one that really matters is guaranteed money. As for his place with the Pats, it did seem he was heir apparent, but there's no way to know for sure. He could end up another Brady - or another Cassel....

I'm in a bit of a quandary over the Pats right now, but that's a different discussion for another time, I guess....

7 minutes ago, Colt45 said:

I don't know what the details are, but the only one that really matters is guaranteed money. As for his place with the Pats, it did seem he was heir apparent, but there's no way to know for sure. He could end up another Brady - or another Cassel....

I'm in a bit of a quandary over the Pats right now, but that's a different discussion for another time, I guess....

Sources confirmed to ESPN the deal is for $137.5 million, including $86.4 million guaranteed in the first three years, making it the largest three-year total in NFL history. The deal makes Garoppolo, 26, the league's highest-paid player despite having just seven NFL starts to his name.

19 minutes ago, Philc2001 said:

Sources confirmed to ESPN the deal is for $137.5 million, including $86.4 million guaranteed in the first three years

I guess my perspective is simply that I don't begrudge anyone making what the job pays. His earning it - time will tell. On a side note, I believe that every nfl play is a major collision, and that if the money is out there, the players surely deserve their share.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Philc2001 said:

Jimmy Garoppolo inks $137.5M deal, now NFL's highest-paid player

LINK: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22370038/san-francisco-49ers-jimmy-garoppolo-agree-5-year-1375-million-deal

I haven't seen any mention of this, so I'd like to hear what you all think of this deal.

Geez, this guy was hiding in Brady's shadow, and given Brady's age one would think this was a keeper for the franchise. Did they just not know what they had, or what? 

Do you think this guy is worth all that? I mean he helped SF win 5 games, but this guy has little else in terms of experience. WOW! He must be one happy dude...

i'm sure the pats knew but they also knew that brady was not planning on going anywhere and the guy was coming up to free agency, i believe. he wanted to play so very unlikely he signs with the pats again, to sit on the bench for another 3-4 years? and the pats had the sense to get a 2nd round draft pick for him, making them look a million times smarter than the skins who didn't have a clue how to handle kirk (who will almost certainly exceed this wherever he signs). otherwise they get zip for him.

so sensible by the pats, good for Jimmy. the 49ers get a quality QB, though whether he is worth that remains to be seen. it is a crazy contract given how little he has played but good QBs are extremely rare and valuable commodities.

10 minutes ago, MooseAMuffin said:

As a Chiefs fan, it hurts me that you would bring up Cassal. You cut me deep :tantrum:

Well, since it was the Chiefs who knocked Brady out of the '08 season, I suppose it's only fitting :lol3:

But seriously, I was not knocking Cassel - he did a great job that season for the Pats. I guess just trying to convey that individual success doesn't always transfer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colt45 said:

Well, since it was the Chiefs who knocked Brady out of the '08 season, I suppose it's only fitting :lol3:

But seriously, I was not knocking Cassel - he did a great job that season for the Pats. I guess just trying to convey that individual success doesn't always transfer.

Lol, that's a good point! We did that to ourselves. 

He definitely was not the only problem with our organization during his tenure. Todd Haley and Romeo Crennel as HCes, bad defense, Scott Pioli conspiracy theories. Those were dark times.

3 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

i'm sure the pats knew but they also knew that brady was not planning on going anywhere and the guy was coming up to free agency, i believe. he wanted to play so very unlikely he signs with the pats again, to sit on the bench for another 3-4 years? and the pats had the sense to get a 2nd round draft pick for him, making them look a million times smarter than the skins who didn't have a clue how to handle kirk (who will almost certainly exceed this wherever he signs). otherwise they get zip for him.

so sensible by the pats, good for Jimmy. the 49ers get a quality QB, though whether he is worth that remains to be seen. it is a crazy contract given how little he has played but good QBs are extremely rare and valuable commodities.

You think Brady will start another 3-4 years? I doubt it.

I also doubt anyone would have offered garappolo more than $10 million if he hadn't started those 5 games for the 49'ers. If they wanted to keep him I'm sure they could have kept him in New England for $20 million as a backup QB for another couple of years. But this is all speculative, so who knows what was going on behind the scenes. Maybe they have another ace QB in the hole who is even better than garappolo.  

I dont think the Pats will miss Jimmy G. This year's draft seems to be pretty heavy on QB talent.  I can see the Pats  waiting on a QB who they can get a good bargain for later in the draft.  Worked with Brady.  They don't have too many picks to trade up to get a top tier guy either.

1 hour ago, Philc2001 said:

You think Brady will start another 3-4 years? I doubt it.

I also doubt anyone would have offered garappolo more than $10 million if he hadn't started those 5 games for the 49'ers. If they wanted to keep him I'm sure they could have kept him in New England for $20 million as a backup QB for another couple of years. But this is all speculative, so who knows what was going on behind the scenes. Maybe they have another ace QB in the hole who is even better than garappolo.  

brady could go down injured game 1, who knows. and i'm sure you are right (although given what osweiler got, i think it would have been north of 10). i gather brady does not work well with backups so garrapllo was probably keen to move on. but the pats rarely get things too wrong.

i think brady thinks he has another couple of seasons left. who knows. he was the leading QB this year, though had wentz stayed healthy?