• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For Newcomers only.  No question will go unanswered. No smartarse comments, no reference to using the search engine. We will answer each and every one...as many times as necessary  We were a

This is good policy.    If "newb" questions bother you, better to move along rather than offer up snarky comments.

Make sure the RH in the box (and the room it is in) is lower than that of your humidor! Especially if it has been raining for a few days. People sometimes forget or don't realise their home could have

Hi , I was just wondering if it’s possible to buy psp in the store? Is there an extra charge for this or are they only available in the 24:24 sale? Thanks everyone 

You can’t specify grade from the store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all. I have placed a few orders and haven't received them yet. No worries there, I am not concerned about that. The orders that I have placed have all been quarter boxes, but all different times. Like a moron, I have forgot to take note of the box codes and dates. On quarter box orders, do they send this information?? Or is there a way to go back and check? I now realize I should probably take note of this when I order. Thanks guys. 

12 hours ago, jlb said:

Hey all. I have placed a few orders and haven't received them yet. No worries there, I am not concerned about that. The orders that I have placed have all been quarter boxes, but all different times. Like a moron, I have forgot to take note of the box codes and dates. On quarter box orders, do they send this information?? Or is there a way to go back and check? I now realize I should probably take note of this when I order. Thanks guys. 

that  is a good question, as i am in the same boat.  I came to find out if you get tracking info for the 24:24 orders?  I have several orders, but no confirmation or tracking.

that  is a good question, as i am in the same boat.  I came to find out if you get tracking info for the 24:24 orders?  I have several orders, but no confirmation or tracking.
Have patience. You'll get a notification when the order ships.

Sent from my ActionMan walkie-talkie

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Akela3rd said:

Have patience. You'll get a notification when the order ships.

Sent from my ActionMan walkie-talkie

Just got the notification a couple hours ago.  The order was from Sept 2nd, being new, I didnt realize I wouldn't receive any confirmation for the order until it shipped and the time frame of a couple weeks before that happens. 

8 hours ago, Derboesekoenig said:

It's all in the sticky'd 24:24 guide

My mistake, I read "Example 2: Order placed on Sunday - your order will be brought up 8 days later on the Monday, and shipped during that week."

I thought I would get the notification sometime the week after the order was placed, I am not reading it correctly or missing something, I didn't realize it was 8 days + another 9 days. 
I will just wait it out next time, you guys usually get the shipping confirmation around the 2 - 3 week mark for those orders?

Hey everyone,

I've been searching the internet and can't seem to find a proper answer so I thought I could ask here.

I have a small, cheaper 15/20 ct humidor I received as a gift (looking to buy a 100 ct soon) that came with a foam based humidifier and an analog hygrometer that surprisingly enough can be calibrated when taken apart. Nonetheless, I've ordered a new digital hygrometer and looking to replace the foam puck but until I do, I wanted to ask the community...

Q1: How much PG solution is just right or too much? I've been told recharge until it's heavy and can't absorb any more solution and I've read that too much PG wont allow it to regulate properly. Does anyone know the right answer to this question? Again, I will be switching to beads but until then, I'd like to know.

Q2: I have a humidor where the humidifier sits above the cigars. However, I feel like now my humidor is pretty much full with very little space, the humidifier probably sits on top of some cigars. When the lid is closed, I don't know how much space is between the humidifier and the cigars but I feel like it is probably sitting on some cigars if not almost with very little space. Does anyone know how much space should be there or if I should put it elsewhere when so full? This morning I put it at the foot of the cigars angled upwards away from the cigars because I couldn't close the lid if facing the cigars but I don't believe this was a good idea either. I just don't want the humidifier's pores sitting on 1 or 2 cigars rather than sharing with the whole humidifier.

Sorry about the long post but would appreciate any input. 

Thanks. 

Just now, Derboesekoenig said:

I wouldn't touch the foam with a 30' pole. I'd rather put the cigars in the humidor with nothing. Or grab a Boveda in the meantime. Amazon will get it to you in a day or two. The good thing about Boveda's is that they can go on top of, in between cigars, etc. No worries about coming into contact with them.

I have one of those bigger boveda packs that is good for like 25 cigars so aybe I'll just use that then and rest it on top of the cigars.

I just hate the bezel that comes with my humidor for the hygrometer and humidifier to sit within because it takes up extra room.

Thanks for your input @Derboesekoenig

On 9/24/2018 at 1:52 PM, Jequan_sparxxx said:

I have one of those bigger boveda packs that is good for like 25 cigars so aybe I'll just use that then and rest it on top of the cigars.

I just hate the bezel that comes with my humidor for the hygrometer and humidifier to sit within because it takes up extra room.

Thanks for your input @Derboesekoenig

I am pretty new, but like @Derboesekoenig said, I really like the Boveda packs as well.  I recharged my Boveda packs recently (not sure if this is recommended or me be foolishly cheap) and they are doing well. I got rid of the other system I had in my second humidor. 

I see a lot of talk about aging cigars for X amount of years. I am curious if anyone has advice to offer a new guy on building a collection for again. Do you just buy multiples of what you order and put a portion away into the aging box so eventually you will have an aged rotation that you just replenish?  One concern I have is my tastes in cigars changing and 2-3 years later I have aged cigars I no longer care for ?. Maybe that is just part of the game and the risk one must take if they want to age their stock? 

3 hours ago, HopeUgood said:

I am pretty new, but like @Derboesekoenig said, I really like the Boveda packs as well.  I recharged my Boveda packs recently (not sure if this is recommended or me be foolishly cheap) and they are doing well. I got rid of the other system I had in my second humidor. 

@HopeUgood So you're systems use strictly boveda packs now? Do you use the packs on their own or did you buy one of those holders for them and mount it somewhere in your humidor? Also, by recharge I assume you meant left it in distilled for a few hours or days? I've heard that works well. 

I was thinking about trying one of those drymistat tubes. They're smaller , shaped like a cigar and are apparently good at maintaining humidity.

I was also seriously considering buying a 100 count humidor but I don't know when my collection will get there and I don't know if it makes sense to buy a 50 count.

i only use the boveda packs.  i had one of the cigar shaped humidity things with the gel but didn't like it.   'i did the distilled water thing over 3 days on the packs to recharge them.  also bought a 200 count (i think) and its already pretty full hahha.  Get a bit bigger than you think you need for sure. Or do the tupperware thing like some guys do  @Jequan_sparxxx

I also just lay the packs in my humidor.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HopeUgood said:

Are mason jars suitable for aging cigars?

I've used them to keep oily Dominicans laid down. They were the large jars with a rubber seal and clamp down lid. I kept them tucked well back on bottom shelf of the kitchen cabinet to keep temps as cool as possible with a 69 boveda. They were flawless at keeping rh. You need to give them some fresh air every couple of weeks and make sure you put them in foot up or you will end up with some cracked ones.

• Like 2

On 9/27/2018 at 12:40 PM, BG1165 said:

I've used them to keep oily Dominicans laid down. They were the large jars with a rubber seal and clamp down lid. I kept them tucked well back on bottom shelf of the kitchen cabinet to keep temps as cool as possible with a 69 boveda. They were flawless at keeping rh. You need to give them some fresh air every couple of weeks and make sure you put them in foot up or you will end up with some cracked ones.

Thank you for the foot up tip, I would of done the opposite. I think I may throw many of these cigars I am getting into large mason jars with Boveda for aging.  Crack the jar once a week to keep it breathing. 

So on the above note, does this mean that you do not require wooden / Spanish cedar boxes, slabs or vaneers to assist with the aging process and they can be aged without them?

Also, would you put the boveda pack on the top of the feet or at the bottom of the jar? And, since the jar maintains the rh levels, would you look to use the small boveda packs? And, how many would you look to use per cigar?

If I understood correctly, the small ones are usually good to maintain around 3 to 4 with the larger pack maintaining about 25. 

Never thought about using a mason jar or a large clamped lid jar but that sounds interesting. I forgot where I saw then but online I ran across these cedar twists (look like twizzlers) you can use in jars like that. 

7 hours ago, Jequan_sparxxx said:

So on the above note, does this mean that you do not require wooden / Spanish cedar boxes, slabs or vaneers to assist with the aging process and they can be aged without them?

Also, would you put the boveda pack on the top of the feet or at the bottom of the jar? And, since the jar maintains the rh levels, would you look to use the small boveda packs? And, how many would you look to use per cigar?

If I understood correctly, the small ones are usually good to maintain around 3 to 4 with the larger pack maintaining about 25. 

Never thought about using a mason jar or a large clamped lid jar but that sounds interesting. I forgot where I saw then but online I ran across these cedar twists (look like twizzlers) you can use in jars like that. 

The jar will only hold around 15/18 cigars. One 60 gr boveda is all you need. I mentioned I used to do this but as far as cedar I did use some. A divider from a humidor, the cedar liners from boxes, break off pieces from empty boxes. Nothing much to speak of. Just to cover the base becuase whether it matters, I don't have the slightest idea.

I have run out of space and my desktop humidor has been decent but not great at holding humidity in.  I see many people using tupperware or some variation, I just thought that glass jars seemed like a good alternative. I will store them naked in the jars with only a boveda pack on top of them, for the purpose of having easy access to the pack.  If I end up getting boxes on boxes I will look into the wine cooler things. @Jequan_sparxxx thats a good idea to add to the jars if one wanted to, I think that their intended purpose was for lighting cigars. 

Hi all, I have a quick question about tuppedors.

Let's say I have 100 singles. If was able to get my hands on say 4 old, wooden, cigar boxes, could I break them in half (i.e. separate top from the bottom) and use them as trays in my tupperdor? 

For example, instead of breaking them apart and lining the tuppedors, could those boxes potentially be used as 8 trays when separated and have cigars stored in them separately? Or, would it be better to use the old box as is, full them up with the singles, close them and store them in the tuppedor?

On 9/26/2018 at 1:01 AM, HopeUgood said:

I see a lot of talk about aging cigars for X amount of years. I am curious if anyone has advice to offer a new guy on building a collection for again. Do you just buy multiples of what you order and put a portion away into the aging box so eventually you will have an aged rotation that you just replenish?  One concern I have is my tastes in cigars changing and 2-3 years later I have aged cigars I no longer care for ?. Maybe that is just part of the game and the risk one must take if they want to age their stock? 

This is where your patience will be tested. Smokes change over the years so the cigars you don't enjoy now may be going through a flat phase. If they're not doing it for you right now store them away and forget about them for a few more years. My guess is they will surprise you down the line. There are so many factors that contribute to how your cigars will age including how you store them, the type of cigar (strong,light etc.),viola and so on....

A great reference I use is a YouTube channel called Dr. Joe. He has a great series called "All about ageing" which goes in depth on the subject. My advice is sit on the Smokes that don't impress you now. He does not make new content anymore but his tutorials have been a godsend! 

As for storage options another good one is beverage coolers. They are relatively cheap and also help keep your temps steady. Good call on using Boveda packs! Those are great along with Heartfelt beads for your RH. Old boxes and scrap pieces of cedar placed inside help as well but are not absolutely necessary. When setting mine up I just asked friends for old boxes that were just collecting dust and used SLB cab lids as liners. I also have one or 2 trays for singles but old SLBs will do just as well.

If you do decide to go with a cooler/ice chest make sure you use a brand new one that has not been used for anything else! I repeat use a fresh cooler! You do not want to grab the old dusty one in your garage you take on your camping trips as it may be contaminated no matter how well you clean it. You don't want to take any chances.

This is what mine look like. Hope this helps and keep smoking!✌️

20180923_230417.thumb.jpg.92d38ac6f960b994e3c2722a86490d67.jpg20180923_230732.thumb.jpg.45600097ac1e19d5d3f9543591458d50.jpg