@Burningmanthanks for the lead on the youtube and suggestions. I am still unsure of committing to boxes only being a couple months in on CC's to age for years. But I think I will try to start buying  maybe doubles so I can throw some in the slumber bin and some in the enjoyment bin while I let time do its thing. 

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For Newcomers only.  No question will go unanswered. No smartarse comments, no reference to using the search engine. We will answer each and every one...as many times as necessary  We were a

This is good policy.    If "newb" questions bother you, better to move along rather than offer up snarky comments.

Make sure the RH in the box (and the room it is in) is lower than that of your humidor! Especially if it has been raining for a few days. People sometimes forget or don't realise their home could have

10 hours ago, HopeUgood said:

@Burningmanthanks for the lead on the youtube and suggestions. I am still unsure of committing to boxes only being a couple months in on CC's to age for years. But I think I will try to start buying  maybe doubles so I can throw some in the slumber bin and some in the enjoyment bin while I let time do its thing. 

Get some samplers so you can get an idea of what you prefer, and then go for box purchases. Or I guess worst case scenario if you buy boxes, you could just sell 'em later on if you aren't into them.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HopeUgood said:

I have some NC's with some nice age as well. Nicaraguan tobacco seems to age well, at least in my experience. Don't be afraid to experiment with your NC smokes as well. I ended up ageing by default as I am not an everyday smoker. Once I discovered Habanos many of my non Cuban cigars just ended up sitting and forgotten about. Those that I knew were not my cup of tea ended up getting passed on to friends or donated. A handful I liked received a long rest. Years later (5-6) I found some and tried them to discover they had developed nicely.

This hobby is addicting and not just due to the nicotine! I'm a bit OCD so I end up tinkering with my coolers. Eventually you will figure out what works for you. I would suggest that if you expand by getting another container be it another humidor, a tupperdor, cooler, etc. get a larger container than you think you will need. This may save you money in the long run if you don't want to have a bunch of desktops that you no longer use (I have 4 that sit empty). The only positive I see from this experience for me is that I have taken the trays out of them and placed some in my coolers for singles.

@Derboesekoenig is spot on. Try different stuff until you find your niche. Participating in things like newbie trades and ordering singles will help you figure things out.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, multi-useless said:

Question, what does OLH mean?  I thought I knew, but the way I see it used, it obviously means something else

Online Humidor. There is a tab at the top of the page, "Locker". That is the link for the online humidor.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2018 at 3:33 PM, Burningman said:

This is where your patience will be tested. Smokes change over the years so the cigars you don't enjoy now may be going through a flat phase. If they're not doing it for you right now store them away and forget about them for a few more years. My guess is they will surprise you down the line. There are so many factors that contribute to how your cigars will age including how you store them, the type of cigar (strong,light etc.),viola and so on....

A great reference I use is a YouTube channel called Dr. Joe. He has a great series called "All about ageing" which goes in depth on the subject. My advice is sit on the Smokes that don't impress you now. He does not make new content anymore but his tutorials have been a godsend! 

As for storage options another good one is beverage coolers. They are relatively cheap and also help keep your temps steady. Good call on using Boveda packs! Those are great along with Heartfelt beads for your RH. Old boxes and scrap pieces of cedar placed inside help as well but are not absolutely necessary. When setting mine up I just asked friends for old boxes that were just collecting dust and used SLB cab lids as liners. I also have one or 2 trays for singles but old SLBs will do just as well.

If you do decide to go with a cooler/ice chest make sure you use a brand new one that has not been used for anything else! I repeat use a fresh cooler! You do not want to grab the old dusty one in your garage you take on your camping trips as it may be contaminated no matter how well you clean it. You don't want to take any chances.

This is what mine look like. Hope this helps and keep smoking!✌️

Dr. Joe aging segment helped me quite a bit.  Many of the cigars I have bought have an ammonia smell to them.  I will just let those ones age until they are smokable. I plan on hovering over the 24 sales and buying things I think or know I like that are already a year+ old.  Thanks for the help, I am N. Cal too. 

Prepping my first stab at a tuppedor!

I switch the RH after as I only have these spare things for now but letting it sit and build. 

Local cigar shop gave the boxes and the sheets and got the airtight box on sale!

Hopefully it can work out. For now it'll be mostly singles and quarter boxes but once I start to store and age, hopefully I'll be headed in the right direction!

Screenshot_20181016-205650__01.thumb.jpg.1e3014620b8fe19a2879257dd70d26cf.jpg

22 minutes ago, Jequan_sparxxx said:

I switch the RH after as I only have these spare things for now but letting it sit and build. 

Local cigar shop gave the boxes and the sheets and got the airtight box on sale!

Hopefully it can work out. For now it'll be mostly singles and quarter boxes but once I start to store and age, hopefully I'll be headed in the right direction!

What type of storage box is that?

In Canada, we have a store called Canadian tire.

It's a mastercraft heavy duty storage tote (whatever that means lol).

Apparently, it has an air and water-resistant seal which protects contents against moisture, dust and pests.

$12 CAD for a 10 gallon container...  I figured why not try!

Screenshot_20181016-213213__01.thumb.jpg.802a0a6bbb93c5dfd7b68cdd8afe1c1b.jpg

3 minutes ago, Jequan_sparxxx said:

In Canada, we have a store called Canadian tire.

It's a mastercraft heavy duty storage tote (whatever that means lol).

Apparently, it has an air and water-resistant seal which protects contents against moisture, dust and pests.

$12 CAD for a 10 gallon container...  I figured why not try!

Screenshot_20181016-213213__01.thumb.jpg.802a0a6bbb93c5dfd7b68cdd8afe1c1b.jpg

If it works at $12 CAD you did well! 

6 hours ago, Jequan_sparxxx said:

Fantastic job Sir! A good sized container done with quality pieces on the cheap that gives you room for immediate expansion. :clap:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The FOH store has a "New To Cuban Cigar Sampler" with 20 cigars.  The Disclaimer notes: "CONTENTS SUBJECT TO STOCK AVAILBILITY"

Is it possible to place an order for that Sampler and wait for you to have what you'd really like to send me rather than what you can send me at that point in time?  Assuming that's meant to "tell the story" I'd really like the best version of the story.  I don't mean to imply that an inferior assortment would be provided, but I'm patient and willing to wait for what will form trying / buying decisions in the future. I'm willing to wait for the best version of the story. 

Thanks. 

2 hours ago, Dickfer said:

The FOH store has a "New To Cuban Cigar Sampler" with 20 cigars.  The Disclaimer notes: "CONTENTS SUBJECT TO STOCK AVAILBILITY"

Is it possible to place an order for that Sampler and wait for you to have what you'd really like to send me rather than what you can send me at that point in time?  Assuming that's meant to "tell the story" I'd really like the best version of the story.  I don't mean to imply that an inferior assortment would be provided, but I'm patient and willing to wait for what will form trying / buying decisions in the future. I'm willing to wait for the best version of the story. 

Thanks. 

If you just send 'em an email, i'm sure they'll work with you to help you out.

• 1 month later...

Hello FOH Vets,

I live in the south Florida area outside of Miami and picked up the cigar hobby a few years ago. As a result, I have become a fascinated with Cuban cigars. This forum has been the best source of information I have found outside of my local cigar shop. In February, I am planning a trip to Cuba with a couple of friends. I hope to purchase several boxes and after reading several threads, maybe some custom hand rolled sticks. Can you tell me which shops are a "MUST" to visit during my 3 day visit?

Also, what is the status or inventory of Behike at the LCDHs?

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, cbenham73 said:

Can someone enlighten me on 1/4 boxes that I have seen referenced in threads? And where can I found them?

1/4 boxes are offered on 24:24 listings and are a great way to sample a cigar without committing to a whole box purchase, in my opinion. 24:24 is listed daily, the next listing will be next week On Monday 7th.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, JohnS said:
1/4 boxes are offered on 24:24 listings and are a great way to sample a cigar without committing to a whole box purchase, in my opinion. 24:24 is listed daily, the next listing will be next week On Monday 7th.

I also concur that quarter box is a good choice for trying a marca (purchased 6er Connie A in the end of December)! I really appreciate that this option is available on 24:24 since last year (before that box purchase was the only option) :-)!

Note. Shipping will be resumed on 7th of January as well. 

나의 SHV-E300S 의 Tapatalk에서 보

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I am moving my cigars from a wineador in my cold basement to a new humidor that includes heat. Should I slowly crank the heat and let the cigars acclimate to new temperatures or is there no harm  in putting them in a +25dF environment quickly. From what I can tell increasing the temperature while maintaining RH will increase the moisture content of the cigars. I am not sure if this will cause swelling enough to burst. Thanks. 

Good evening fellas/ladies. I’ve came across an unusual problem. I don’t know if anyone has came across this. I tried searching the forum but came up empty. Problem, I can not access the store on FOH from my phone for some reason unless I am connected to wifi from home. Seems strange right? Glitch? Anyways just thought I’d bring it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/6/2019 at 3:06 PM, TBBCOLEAFLOVER said:

Good evening fellas/ladies. I’ve came across an unusual problem. I don’t know if anyone has came across this. I tried searching the forum but came up empty. Problem, I can not access the store on FOH from my phone for some reason unless I am connected to wifi from home. Seems strange right? Glitch? Anyways just thought I’d bring it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoot Ben (bayala) a PM.  He is helping out a few others on the issue which predominantly affects AT&T users.  Send Ben a PM:thumbsup:

On 2/1/2019 at 1:04 AM, bsubtown said:

I am moving my cigars from a wineador in my cold basement to a new humidor that includes heat. Should I slowly crank the heat and let the cigars acclimate to new temperatures or is there no harm  in putting them in a +25dF environment quickly. From what I can tell increasing the temperature while maintaining RH will increase the moisture content of the cigars. I am not sure if this will cause swelling enough to burst. Thanks. 

Where possible, always acclimatize and you can certainly do so in this situation. 

On the flip side, cigars are a lot tougher than most people give them credit for :D