• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For Newcomers only.  No question will go unanswered. No smartarse comments, no reference to using the search engine. We will answer each and every one...as many times as necessary  We were a

This is good policy.    If "newb" questions bother you, better to move along rather than offer up snarky comments.

Make sure the RH in the box (and the room it is in) is lower than that of your humidor! Especially if it has been raining for a few days. People sometimes forget or don't realise their home could have

3 hours ago, dragn270 said:

Has there ever been Quinteros or vegueros on a 24:24? Just wondering what Rob’s description of them would look like. 

Quintero Favoritos (25)   

Petit Robusto  (50 x 115)

RMO JUN 18

Mostly

Clearance

The ultimate yard and fishing cigar.

Sometimes we forget that cigars such as the favoritos are the backbone of many members humidors. A D4 to them is something special and a Cohiba Robusto is a dream.

There is a time and place for a hefty yard cigar, fishing cigar, camping cigar, handing out to moochers who don’t smoke cigars….etal.

Good Cuban toasted tobacco flavour but dry box if you can. Some can really surprise you but that is not what they are intended for. There are always those times when you just need a decent cigar that is going to be in the background.

The definition of good “Cheap and Cheerful”

4 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Quintero Favoritos (25)   

Petit Robusto  (50 x 115)

RMO JUN 18

Mostly

Clearance

The ultimate yard and fishing cigar.

Sometimes we forget that cigars such as the favoritos are the backbone of many members humidors. A D4 to them is something special and a Cohiba Robusto is a dream.

There is a time and place for a hefty yard cigar, fishing cigar, camping cigar, handing out to moochers who don’t smoke cigars….etal.

Good Cuban toasted tobacco flavour but dry box if you can. Some can really surprise you but that is not what they are intended for. There are always those times when you just need a decent cigar that is going to be in the background.

The definition of good “Cheap and Cheerful”

Awesome!!

Ship to PO boxes? Is that an issue, good or bad idea or does it even matter at all??? lol 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there! I'm in the US, and was supposed to visit Cuba in 6 weeks, but, as I'm sure you all know, my plans have been changed. While I was there, I was planning on picking up some cigars for my brother-in-law's bachelor party in August, but since I'm not going, I've now turned to trying to procure some from other sources.

Can anyone recommend anything that will be:

1) approachable for new smokers (myself included - I've only smoked a handful of cigars over the years, but have typically enjoyed them, particularly in regards to the symbolism of smoking as a celebratory gesture)

2) smoke well young - as I said, the bachelor party is in August so I need something that either has some age on it already, or will smoke well with a minimal amount of age

3) be available for roughly $200USD (l could be convinced to spend slightly more if the perfect cigar comes along) for at least 20 cigars

4) won't be a waste to be smoked during a bachelor party (i.e. something you wouldn't feel bad giving to someone who is not truly going to concentrate on it and wouldn't be sad if it didn't get finished before being tossed)

Anything I do get, I plan to toss in a Tupperware with a boveda back or two until the day comes...and I would keep any extras to share with friends or even for the wedding, should I get more than 20 or if all don't get smoked. I have several friends who like cigars and I would have no hesitation of sharing with them should I find something good.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

22 hours ago, user_47 said:

Hi there! I'm in the US, and was supposed to visit Cuba in 6 weeks, but, as I'm sure you all know, my plans have been changed. While I was there, I was planning on picking up some cigars for my brother-in-law's bachelor party in August, but since I'm not going, I've now turned to trying to procure some from other sources.

Can anyone recommend anything that will be:

1) approachable for new smokers (myself included - I've only smoked a handful of cigars over the years, but have typically enjoyed them, particularly in regards to the symbolism of smoking as a celebratory gesture)

2) smoke well young - as I said, the bachelor party is in August so I need something that either has some age on it already, or will smoke well with a minimal amount of age

3) be available for roughly $200USD (l could be convinced to spend slightly more if the perfect cigar comes along) for at least 20 cigars

4) won't be a waste to be smoked during a bachelor party (i.e. something you wouldn't feel bad giving to someone who is not truly going to concentrate on it and wouldn't be sad if it didn't get finished before being tossed)

Anything I do get, I plan to toss in a Tupperware with a boveda back or two until the day comes...and I would keep any extras to share with friends or even for the wedding, should I get more than 20 or if all don't get smoked. I have several friends who like cigars and I would have no hesitation of sharing with them should I find something good.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Grab a box of the St. Luis Rey Regios that was up last night if still available. If not maybe you can get them at the INTL store if they are in stock. Upper left on main forum page. When you click on it you will have to create a different password for the INTL store.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jal154 said:

Grab a box of the St. Luis Rey Regios that was up last night if still available. If not maybe you can get them at the INTL store if they are in stock. Upper left on main forum page. When you click on it you will have to create a different password for the INTL store.

Any opinion on the Petit Robustos that are up now? Seems like they have a decent amount of age on them, and are shorter, so probably not bad for the bachelor party environment...

9 minutes ago, user_47 said:

Any opinion on the Petit Robustos that are up now? Seems like they have a decent amount of age on them, and are shorter, so probably not bad for the bachelor party environment...

They are 4 x 50. Price seems really good. 

On 2/23/2018 at 11:20 PM, El Presidente said:

If it were myself I would

• avoid purchasing the "big sellers' blind. Monte 2/4  Partagas D4 etc
  • avoid purchasing "challenging" (difficult to roll) cigars blind.  Lancero/Panetela etc. 
  • avoid purchasing cigars that are out of love blind. Sancho/Vegas Robaina
  • Avoid purchasing anything made at the Pinar Factory Francisco Donatien blind. That means Trinidad as well as the two above. 
  • Avoid purchasing expensive cigars blind. 

Outside of that you are good to go :rolleyes:

Remember, most vendors are happy to help out. 

I just placed my first order on this site (before discovering the forum) My order included all the “big sellers” listed in this post. None of which came off the 24:24 list. The order has not shipped yet. Should I cancel it and just shop off the 24:24 list for those brands? 

3 hours ago, Keith_james said:

I just placed my first order on this site (before discovering the forum) My order included all the “big sellers” listed in this post. None of which came off the 24:24 list. The order has not shipped yet. Should I cancel it and just shop off the 24:24 list for those brands? 

There is nothing inherently wrong with buying off the FOH online store. All stock is checked before shipping. If you want PSP/HQ quality, then you will have to wait for that particular box to pop up on 24:24, and risk not having fingers fast enough to type the email.

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, ToddT said:

What does "Mostly" mean in a 24:24 offering?

Refers to the box code. There could be a bunch of different box codes, but there would be more LMB MAR 19 than other codes for example.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

New to the forum. Smoked a few new ones a couple days ago and just want to say A+ ... pure class.  Have been watching vid reviews for a while and now happy to join the rest of the club.  Cheers everyone- looking forward to all the great content!

Wow... just read through all 20 pages on this thread and gained tons of info/knowledge. I’m a noob to FOH & CC but already hooked big time! On a side note im extremely grateful I found FOH, everyone here seems to be very knowledgeable and willing to take the time to help a noob like me. Thank you & cheers all!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Snifnix said:

What WAS that?

Hi all.

Being a Cuban cigar newbie is a lot like being a detective without many solid leads and a bunch of witnesses contradicting each other. The cigars themselves are often confusing and the vendors never give me any info worth a damn.

I just had a Montecristo No.2. I picked up a pack of 3 40 days ago, and it's been resting in my humidor since then at about 65%. In the interest of brevity, won't get into the details regarding the flavor notes save to say that if the quality of the first half had also included the last half, it would easily have placed in my current top 3. A veritable array of different yummy caramelized flavors and incredibly smooth and pleasant overall. Then something happened, and I'm specifically interested in this one flavor that is a first for me and that left me kind of shocked and befuddled. A distinct taste of what I would characterize as acetone or perhaps glue. I guess a general description would be some kind of solvent. Luckily, the solvent disappeared quite quickly, but the cigar never really recovered. I picked up distinct notes of ammonia and it got gradually harsher and less interesting and it also started burning pretty badly and hot too, even though I smoked it slow and with veneration. What a shame.

So what WAS that solvent thing? And how in the world can a cigar go from that good to that bad in the same cigar?

Help a brother out. Thank you.

From what I know and was stated here just a few days ago Monte 4 is one of the most over produced cigars. Now you had a Monte 2 in a 3 pack you purchased. I have a feeling that the Monte 2 is probably up there also. I would purchase a quality box of 25 (PSP or HQ) or 1/4 box (if available) when they come up on FOH’s 24:24. My girlfriend purchased me a 5 pack of Monte 4 while she was away on vacation. They were very blah. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey gang-- Forum newbie here. Please let me know if this is the wrong spot for this, but I'm still a little confused about the relationship between 24:24 and the FOH int'l store. My understanding is that you'll get PSP, HQ, etc. from 24:24 guaranteed based on your quick-draw typing skills (or lack thereof) and that you'll get a good quality, inspected box from the int'l store, but not necessarily PSP or HQ. I know that the team won't pull specific boxes, but you can get PSP from the store, right? For instance, El Presidente put up PSP Monte No. 4s during 24:24 last week and I'm pretty sure they didn't sell out. Do those boxes get pulled specifically for 24:24 in the future? Or, if I ordered a box today, I could conceivably get one of those PSP boxes? 

6 hours ago, thirty1z said:

Hey gang-- Forum newbie here. Please let me know if this is the wrong spot for this, but I'm still a little confused about the relationship between 24:24 and the FOH int'l store. My understanding is that you'll get PSP, HQ, etc. from 24:24 guaranteed based on your quick-draw typing skills (or lack thereof) and that you'll get a good quality, inspected box from the int'l store, but not necessarily PSP or HQ. I know that the team won't pull specific boxes, but you can get PSP from the store, right? For instance, El Presidente put up PSP Monte No. 4s during 24:24 last week and I'm pretty sure they didn't sell out. Do those boxes get pulled specifically for 24:24 in the future? Or, if I ordered a box today, I could conceivably get one of those PSP boxes? 

The store is pot luck. You will never get below PE, and can get HQ and PSP quality, but there are no guarantees. 24:24 is for those looking for specific quality.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Rhinoww said:

Is there a tutorial on how to best use the search function?

Nope. Nothing less than 3 letter search combinations, searching for 24:24 will get you bupkis, try searching in specific subforums to limit returns.

Using Google to to search friendsofhabanos website would be easier.

1 minute ago, Fuzz said:

Nope. Nothing less than 3 letter search combinations, searching for 24:24 will get you bupkis, try searching in specific subforums to limit returns.

Using Google to to search friendsofhabanos website would be easier.

Thanks. When I search more than one word it’s hard to narrow results. Will try google 

12 minutes ago, Rhinoww said:

Thanks. When I search more than one word it’s hard to narrow results. Will try google 

You can go into the advanced search by clicking on the magnifying glass in the search bar.

• 1 month later...
Quick newbie question on 24:24.  Apologies if it's already been answered.  When a box is labeled as clearance, what does that mean in terms of grade? Is it safe to assume it's PE or higher?  Every box I have gotten from FOH has been amazing, just curious what that meant in terms of quality.  Thanks!

Following up on this, how come clearance doesn’t receive a specific quality grade? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a newair cc100h wineador today. I cleaned it out according to the instructions with baking soda and distilled water. For the humidification I ordered a cigar oasis Excel 3.0 which is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Can I use the cigar oasis to successfully season my new humidor or would I be better of using the distilled water method?