• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For Newcomers only.  No question will go unanswered. No smartarse comments, no reference to using the search engine. We will answer each and every one...as many times as necessary  We were a

This is good policy.    If "newb" questions bother you, better to move along rather than offer up snarky comments.

Make sure the RH in the box (and the room it is in) is lower than that of your humidor! Especially if it has been raining for a few days. People sometimes forget or don't realise their home could have

A question regarding storage and articulation. I have a couple of boxes in a tupperware container, the container is stored in my basement where the temperature is a lot lower. I use Boveda for the RH. But as I understand it, you need to change the air every now and then since the container is airtight and there is no air circulation.  How often should I “vent” the container and for how long?

I plan on getting a humidor for boxes, or a cabinet one day, but for now will have to do.

How do you guys store your customs? Do you put them in Ziploc bags or find empty cabs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Can anyone link me to a post or explain box codes to me? I see some boxes on 24:24 such as PUS 17 or other codes. I know 17 is the year but what do the three letters represent?

Second to this question. Why are certain factory codes sought after or even important and notable when the current factory code system is described as always changing. The linked website explains codes can change every month or year, is there some sort of decipher so people know which higher quality factories are associated with certain codes?

Also what factories are considered better than others?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, RD_26 said:

Second to this question. Why are certain factory codes sought after or even important and notable when the current factory code system is described as always changing. The linked website explains codes can change every month or year, is there some sort of decipher so people know which higher quality factories are associated with certain codes?

I think this has a couple of answers. 

1. Some posts will show that a particular cigar with code/date smoke very well. So others try to find that box. Who knows why they smoke well...they just do. If I’m on a box that smoke consistently well...I’m looking for that same box again.

2. Certain codes indicate certain factories which may have higher quality tobacco and more experienced rollers. (I think)

11 hours ago, Ciscojohansson said:

A question regarding storage and articulation. I have a couple of boxes in a tupperware container, the container is stored in my basement where the temperature is a lot lower. I use Boveda for the RH. But as I understand it, you need to change the air every now and then since the container is airtight and there is no air circulation.  How often should I “vent” the container and for how long?

I plan on getting a humidor for boxes, or a cabinet one day, but for now will have to do.

If the RH and temp is right then the need for an air change is not a big issue.  Remember many people shrink wrap cigars for long term aging. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, prodigy said:

How do you guys store your customs? Do you put them in Ziploc bags or find empty cabs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Empty cabs is my favourite method but it doesn't really matter. The most important thing is to FREEZE them 

3 hours ago, RD_26 said:

There can be a superb run of a certain code and word spreads. People try to buy that code. 

Sometimes it is justified and sometimes it is an urban myth.  OBM is justified (plenty of good and few bad) . TOS is a myth  (plenty of good and plenty of bad)

Best factories?  Your Havana factories are the ones people want.  El Laguito, Upmann, La Corona, Partagas etc.  To say they are the best is unfair. Plenty of rubbish comes out of them.  The Pinar factory Francisco Donatien I would put down as the worst or close to the worst. 

Where possible, buy the box and not the code. 

• Thanks 1

@El Presidente Do you get to choose what the distributor sends to you, or do they choose what you'll get (and like it too!)?

Also, when there are older box dates on 24:24 (but not aged), as well as newer ones, does that mean you've held on to the older ones longer?  Or does the distributor sometimes send you older boxes?  For example, let's say today you put up Monte #2s from Oct 17, but tomorrow you put up Monte #2s from Dec 16 - does that mean you've held on to the 2016 boxes since then?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can anyone suggest non-regular production cigars that are "Robusto-esque" size that would be good for a special occasion? I want to buy 2 cigars and hold them for a special occasion the Monte 80 is to big, La Trova is getting meh reviews and the Talisman is pricey as heck and a bit too big.  Would the Cohiba Maduro Genios be a good option? El Pres seem to like it on his FOH review.  Thanks everyone! 

49 minutes ago, benfica_77 said:

Can anyone suggest non-regular production cigars that are "Robusto-esque" size that would be good for a special occasion? I want to buy 2 cigars and hold them for a special occasion the Monte 80 is to big, La Trova is getting meh reviews and the Talisman is pricey as heck and a bit too big.  Would the Cohiba Maduro Genios be a good option? El Pres seem to like it on his FOH review.  Thanks everyone! 

LFdC Grandiosos, Monte 520, RA Celestiale Finos, HdM Le Hoyo San Juan.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Riverstyx said:

@El Presidente Do you get to choose what the distributor sends to you, or do they choose what you'll get (and like it too!)?

Also, when there are older box dates on 24:24 (but not aged), as well as newer ones, does that mean you've held on to the older ones longer?  Or does the distributor sometimes send you older boxes?  For example, let's say today you put up Monte #2s from Oct 17, but tomorrow you put up Monte #2s from Dec 16 - does that mean you've held on to the 2016 boxes since then?

We put in a fortnightly order and pray. With specialties it is via allocation from the distributor (PCC). 

Box codes come as they come. I don't hold onto boxes.  We go through a huge amount of stock as you can guess.

• Thanks 1

Belated comment on ziplock bags and plastic  

I'm into gardening so long term storage of the "harvest" is important. I've been doing research on what Prepper and Survivalist do for food storage. Basically, plastic is porous and only good for very short term storage. They use Mylar bags -- which are impermeable -- in vacuum sealer machine ( you can buy bags with a "zip seal). Only issue with Mylar bags is that they are silver so you can't see what's going on in the bag. But they are reusable. So if you use an oversized bag, you can seal it, open it as needed, take some stuff out, trim the open edges, and then reseal it. They are using these mylar bags to store shelf stable food for decades ( rice, dry beans, flour, freeze dried veggies, etc). 

• Like 1

Guest Nekhyludov
3 hours ago, crking3 said:

Any suggestions for punch punch aging? What are they like super Young? How do they change and when is best? Thanks all !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO the P^3 is one of the Habanos that's smoking well young right now. No aging necessary.

On 2/28/2018 at 2:32 PM, JLFIRST said:

Smoked like a dream! 96f190aa3fa83aea6351f8f885cd4b15.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

First, I'd have to speculate that this was not a Montecristo. LGC M d'Or come in cabs ribbon wrapped so that's probably from an outside stick....I find the bent ones the best!

14 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Thanks Rob for the info.  

My question is if I have a box of cigars in front of me.  How do I separate it from PSP/HQ/PE or worse.  Is there a fine line between them?  From what I can read it's all comes with time and experience.  However, I couldn't find much info anywhere. 

1 hour ago, Freddo said:

Thanks Rob for the info.  

My question is if I have a box of cigars in front of me.  How do I separate it from PSP/HQ/PE or worse.  Is there a fine line between them?  From what I can read it's all comes with time and experience.  However, I couldn't find much info anywhere. 

Have a look at the vid as I think it is all in there.  Wrapper quality, construction and aroma at cold are the core features I look for.  PSP is roughly top 5% of an average mastercase quality bell curve. HQ the next 15-20%, PE the next 25% etc. 

4 hours ago, zking said:

Would 24hrs be enough to freeze my sticks to prevent beetles? I cant keep my temp under 70 degrees this time of year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You will get alot of different advice on this. Here is what I do...

1. Wrap cigars in aluminum foil

2. Directly into the freezer for 72 hours

3. Directly out of the freezer and rest at room temperature for 12 hours

4. Put into your humidor

Now you will get people who swear by the slow acclimation method whereby they add a step and put the cigars in the refrigerator first and perhaps right after freezing as well. I’ve read enough opinions to suggest that this method actually helps the beetles adapt to lower temps, so I never do it. And I have never had a beetle issue.

• Like 1