1 hour ago, Weaponiz'd1 said:

Freezing

H Upmann Noellas Jar.

My gut tells me take out and freeze then replace.

Opinions?

Don't freeze the Jar.  Take the cigars out and freeze those. :thumbsup:

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For Newcomers only.  No question will go unanswered. No smartarse comments, no reference to using the search engine. We will answer each and every one...as many times as necessary  We were a

This is good policy.    If "newb" questions bother you, better to move along rather than offer up snarky comments.

Make sure the RH in the box (and the room it is in) is lower than that of your humidor! Especially if it has been raining for a few days. People sometimes forget or don't realise their home could have

Are all boxes inspected before shipment?  I’m asking because I received a box of Monetcristo Dantes from FOH with the seals intact. But as the pictures below demonstrate, the cigars still looked amazing. 

ABA98A06-3873-475F-A0AF-52A95D952642.thumb.jpeg.b88510de6029fb2be78c93688bf2b2a2.jpeg43F85B60-FA89-4613-B94F-BF9AD43E60B7.thumb.jpeg.a7c986d1f78f691d7901daf8c2402ffa.jpeg42BC314C-DD17-44C6-A8DE-1B9E5E254184.thumb.jpeg.893be5dbfd5e6c0935254f7f92dc3b0d.jpeg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Everything is indeed inspected before going out but if you have any queries check with Di, Where possible we lift the side and front seals and reapply. 

That’s very reassuring. Thanks for the clarification!

On 5/20/2018 at 8:46 PM, OllyBond said:

So its my birthday today, and wife just bought me a cigar cooler humidor. Its pretty cool, just wondering if anyone with some experience could let me know how well these work.

1526867176240834237800243536659.jpg

I've got a different brand than that but it works fantastically. I plugged the drain hole and it holds rh rock solid with 2 lbs of HF beads. Keeps my temps right where I set them during the summer months but be warned, they only cool not heat so keep that in mind during the winter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/22/2018 at 5:01 PM, El Presidente said:

Don't freeze the Jar.  Take the cigars out and freeze those. :thumbsup:

I was wondering the EXCAT same thing here. No  Question asked is dumb if you don't know the answer..  thank you  ...

Rob does freezing the jar cause it to break. That's my gut feeling ...

thanks 

Rob 

2 hours ago, gorob23 said:

I was wondering the EXCAT same thing here. No  Question asked is dumb if you don't know the answer..  thank you  ...

Rob does freezing the jar cause it to break. That's my gut feeling ...

thanks 

Rob 

"does freezing the jar cause it to break"

It is possible.  I would never freeze glass.  Just take the cigars out and freeze them.  Glass is not on the beetle menu...:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/20/2018 at 9:46 PM, OllyBond said:

So its my birthday today, and wife just bought me a cigar cooler humidor. Its pretty cool, just wondering if anyone with some experience could let me know how well these work.

1526867176240834237800243536659.jpg

They can be tricky depending on if it is compressor based or thermoelectric and what temp you set it

For that side unit 2-3 lbs of beads should be perfect

You can run a Johnsons controller and put the whole unit on a timer if the cooling causes too much of an issue

PM me if you need any help

~Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/12/2018 at 12:54 PM, shadowACE said:

A question about cabs and storage. I don't have a large enough humidor to store a cab in. Is it acceptable to throw a couple humidity packs in the cab box?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Coolers can make great humidors.  1-2 lbs of beads and you're all set

Pm me if you need any help with setting one up

4 hours ago, n2advnture said:

They can be tricky depending on if it is compressor based or thermoelectric and what temp you set it

For that side unit 2-3 lbs of beads should be perfect

You can run a Johnsons controller and put the whole unit on a timer if the cooling causes too much of an issue

PM me if you need any help

~Mark

I think I am going to try boveda packs. They worked great in my desktop humidor. I filled the little container with distilled water and wiped the shelves and drawers to season. I did this two days ago, day 1 was 75%, today its at 80%. The water in container is at least an inch lower, so I'm guessing the cedar is sucking it up. How long do you think I should let it season before I replace water container with boveda packs? I was thinking maybe a week. 

2 hours ago, OllyBond said:

... I filled the little container with distilled water and wiped the shelves and drawers to season. I did this two days ago, day 1 was 75%, today its at 80%. The water in container is at least an inch lower, so I'm guessing the cedar is sucking it up....

7-10 days typically does the trick.  I advise against wiping down the wood but instead letting it absorb naturally

I hope this helpS

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I plan to travel for a month at the end of the year.  I have my cigars in wineador that I check at least once a week.  As I will be away for a month, is there anything I should be watch out for?

3 minutes ago, Freddo said:

I plan to travel for a month at the end of the year.  I have my cigars in wineador that I check at least once a week.  As I will be away for a month, is there anything I should be watch out for?

As long as you trust your humidification device to do it's job you should be fine

I only check on my long term aging coolers about once a month using the Humidityead System

I hope this helps

~Mark

15 hours ago, Freddo said:

Condensation!

On 05/06/2018 at 8:38 PM, n2advnture said:

As long as you trust your humidification device to do it's job you should be fine

I only check on my long term aging coolers about once a month using the Humidityead System

I hope this helps

~Mark

On 06/06/2018 at 11:46 AM, earthson said:

Condensation!

Thanks for the tips

Just back from Havana with custom rolls from Jorge at Club Havana and Alex at Commodoro, as well a factory boxes. I know I need to freeze the custom rolls -- my newbie question is whether or not I need to freeze the factory ones as well.

1 hour ago, markmcc said:

Just back from Havana with custom rolls from Jorge at Club Havana and Alex at Commodoro, as well a factory boxes. I know I need to freeze the custom rolls -- my newbie question is whether or not I need to freeze the factory ones as well.

You should freeze all cigars coming straight from Cuba. 

17 hours ago, aj60s said:

You should freeze all cigars coming straight from Cuba. 

^^

A man needs to sleep at night! :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Had the opportunity to smoke a few non-Cubans over the past couple of weeks and noticed two things. First, the ash on all of them appeared to be much more white when compared with Cubans. Second, the draws were all looser than the typical Cuban stick. I was wondering if these are correlated. Does a looser draw cause the cigar to burn hotter, which, in turn, causes the tobacco to come to a more complete burn and therefore the ash is whiter?

• 2 weeks later...

I've done some searching on the forums around temp and rH for storage, and there are obviously a lot of thoughts out there. I guess I'm just looking for a sanity check -- set up a coolerdor and it's at 68 F and 64% rH. Should I feel OK with that? I guess my thought is that the temp is maybe a touch high.

My advice to anyone who has gray hairs (like me) over temperature to freeze the sticks, and then you can forget about temperature, and just keep half an eye on RH levels. Less stress, and more smoking time!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, thedame007 said:

My advice to anyone who has gray hairs (like me) over temperature to freeze the sticks, and then you can forget about temperature, and just keep half an eye on RH levels. Less stress, and more smoking time!

From everything that I've read here and elsewhere, storage temperature is not a huge deal as long as it is consistent (within reason of course).