In my limited experience, one of my favorite cigars to smoke young is the Saint Luis Rey Regios. I don't mind a young Partagas D4 either.

That’s a main reason I picked up a box of the SLR Regios from last week’s 24:24. Going to acclimatize them and then let em rip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For Newcomers only.  No question will go unanswered. No smartarse comments, no reference to using the search engine. We will answer each and every one...as many times as necessary  We were a

This is good policy.    If "newb" questions bother you, better to move along rather than offer up snarky comments.

Make sure the RH in the box (and the room it is in) is lower than that of your humidor! Especially if it has been raining for a few days. People sometimes forget or don't realise their home could have

On 7/11/2018 at 9:43 PM, SmokenWhisky said:

I'm currently trying to sample all the different brands and vitolas to really get a good sense of what I enjoy most. I'm trying to sample things that I would enjoy on the regular. Regular production stuff. No limited edition, regionals etc. As I discover a few things I like I plan on laying some boxes down for a few years. 1 year at least I'd guess before I start dipping into some of them.

In the meantime in between sampling, are there any particular brands/vitolas that generally smoke well young? 

Are there any particular brands/vitolas that generally don't smoke well young and should be avoided? I had a Monte 4 recently that I would say smelled like cat piss half way through. I'm guessing a lil too young and full of ammonia. I've experienced that once before with a NC. (thankfully after reading this thread I'll try the old purge method next time)

New myself,  bolivar pc and bolivar rc have both been great for me with about 6 months. Dont really have much left to age, but I have some more coming.

• Like 1

I find the box pass concept a lot of guys are involved with here very cool - I see the most recent one (run by @Wertman) is well underway. Any idea when the next one of these might be organized? I'd love to participate if you'd have me. Thanks

2 minutes ago, FatPete said:

I saw the aged cigars from today's 24:24 belong to the "pcc vintage program "

what exactly is this ?

thanks

PCC is The Pacific Cigar Company. It serves as the exclusive distributor of all Cuban cigars in Asia Pacific region. From what I understand, they put certain cigars down for a minimum of 5 years, and then release.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Derboesekoenig said:

PCC is The Pacific Cigar Company. It serves as the exclusive distributor of all Cuban cigars in Asia Pacific region. From what I understand, they put certain cigars down for a minimum of 5 years, and then release.

Thanks for that-hopefully that gives a chance for recently deleted cigars to reappear later down the line.

• Like 1

Mornings everyone, 

Just got my first box at the 24:24s 

This site was recommended to me by the talismans winner last month, lucky son of a bi

So anyways, checking in. started cigars 2 yrs ago. still in my hoarding stage, but slowly easing off.

• Like 2

I've gotten a coolador set up, and got 65% Heartfelt beads for it.

I'm having two issues:

* It's a little warm in my basement, and the temp is around 70 degrees F in the coolador.
* The RH has settled in at 62%. I have wetted down the beads.

Any real reason for concern for either of these? I'd really like it to be a little cooler and a little more humid, right?

14 minutes ago, markmcc said:

I'm having two issues:

* It's a little warm in my basement, and the temp is around 70 degrees F in the coolador.

Any real reason for concern for either of these? I'd really like it to be a little cooler and a little more humid, right?

62% is actually a very good place to be (as long as your hydrometer is calibrated). Try holding it here. You'll be happy! (See my Noob Thread below for more detail on that)

1 hour ago, Ethernut said:

62% is actually a very good place to be (as long as your hydrometer is calibrated). Try holding it here. You'll be happy! (See my Noob Thread below for more detail on that)

Thank you for that -- appreciate the insight. Hydrometer is calibrated.

What are your thoughts on the temp? 

The rh is fine and as long as the temp is reasonably stable it's not an issue. Temp may only be an issue if it varies widely, causing water to migrate, or if it triggers a beetle hatch. You can scare yourself stupid in both subjects by searching the threads but generally it'll be OK. We're having a couple of months of unusually high summer weather (30f/90c+) in the UK and my tuppador has been sitting at 25f/80c with a reasonably constant 62/64rh and I'm not in the slightest bit bothered. Enjoy.

Sent from my ActionMan walkie-talkie

20 hours ago, markmcc said:

I'm having two issues:

Temp is good (don't want it much higher, due to possibility of beetle egg hatch). RH is in the ideal range. I've actually raised mine up from 62 to the high 60s per the little instructional piece of paper that flutters out of every Habanos box. It's been less than a year, but I'm liking the results so far (seem to get a better "shape" to the flavors).

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, a few questions - first, can I "tag" other members in a post on this forum?  Presumably using the @ symbol and then their screen name?

Also, I've been growing my CC collection for a few months now, using Tupperware and Bovedas - as the number of Tupperware containers in my closet grows, is there any benefit to moving everything into one larger storage unit, or is there no reason to rush that?

Finally, I'm intrigued by some things I've read online and wanted to get a more experienced opinion - first I read that the Francisco Donatien factory is bad, avoid it.  Why, specifically?  Just a bad reputation overall?  But also, I've read that Donatien is no longer the Vegueros factory it once was, but is now where Trinidads are rolled - is that true?  If so, how does the factory where one of the more premium (expensive) marcas is rolled, still regarded as it is?

Hi All,

I'm a newbieto FoH and posted my intro earlier today. 

I didn't know if I should post a new topic or if I could ask here first. I have read the rules but figured here would be safest. Otherwise, if not, I apologize and will post a new topic. 

As I an new to FoH and Cubans, I was thinking of purchasing a few sticks (approx. 12) from the marketplace to try them out. I already did all my research, read reviews and have decided on which I'd like to try.  

My concern is that I live in Ontario, Canada and I am wondering if I'd be hit by hefty duties or taxes by ordering online. Would anyone be able to share some experiences or provide some advice on how to approach this endeavor? Otherwise, do I just need to suck it up and pay? 

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to DM me if anything. 

1 hour ago, Jequan_sparxxx said:

Hi All,

I'm a newbieto FoH and posted my intro earlier today. 

I didn't know if I should post a new topic or if I could ask here first. I have read the rules but figured here would be safest. Otherwise, if not, I apologize and will post a new topic. 

As I an new to FoH and Cubans, I was thinking of purchasing a few sticks (approx. 12) from the marketplace to try them out. I already did all my research, read reviews and have decided on which I'd like to try.  

My concern is that I live in Ontario, Canada and I am wondering if I'd be hit by hefty duties or taxes by ordering online. Would anyone be able to share some experiences or provide some advice on how to approach this endeavor? Otherwise, do I just need to suck it up and pay? 

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to DM me if anything. 

Canadian members, please answer via PM only.

Hey guys, new to FOH and just placed my first order earlier this week. I tried searching for the answer to this but all the terms I could think of were too general and pulling up way too many hits to sift through, so I appologize if this has been answered but:

I watched the video on PSP/HQ/PE and have a general understanding of the grading process. I know that FOH does not sell anything below PE on 24:24 or in the store, but here is my question: Is the store all PE, i.e. are ALL HQ and PSP boxes pulled from selection for 24:24? Or is the store a mix of PE, HQ, and PSP with grade of any given individual box (or single) being random?

Thank you for your help and time!

1 hour ago, OldEasy said:

Hey guys, new to FOH and just placed my first order earlier this week. I tried searching for the answer to this but all the terms I could think of were too general and pulling up way too many hits to sift through, so I appologize if this has been answered but:

I watched the video on PSP/HQ/PE and have a general understanding of the grading process. I know that FOH does not sell anything below PE on 24:24 or in the store, but here is my question: Is the store all PE, i.e. are ALL HQ and PSP boxes pulled from selection for 24:24? Or is the store a mix of PE, HQ, and PSP with grade of any given individual box (or single) being random?

Thank you for your help and time!

If I recall correctly, the online store can be anything from PE to PSP, it's pot luck. Remember, whilst Rob does personally inspect many boxes in the warehouse, there are not enough hours in the day to inspect every single box in all the mastercases. They do get inspected again before shipping.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Morning Everybody. I read through this thread about a week ago, and have read a lot in between. My head is quite full, so maybe I missed this. My question is regarding dates and box codes. How does one find out that, say, stuff from 2016 was no good, but stuff from 2018 has potential? I am not referring to anything in particular, but just what I have seen. Stay away from such and such date and look for this date. How do you know so soon?? 

33 minutes ago, jlb said:

Morning Everybody. I read through this thread about a week ago, and have read a lot in between. My head is quite full, so maybe I missed this. My question is regarding dates and box codes. How does one find out that, say, stuff from 2016 was no good, but stuff from 2018 has potential? I am not referring to anything in particular, but just what I have seen. Stay away from such and such date and look for this date. How do you know so soon?? 

There is no shortcut here.  Factory/Date codes that are great or mediocre only get figured out over time based on feedback from people on sites like this or others.  Some folks like to chase certain factories to ensure "quality".  It's all a crapshoot really.  Your best bet is to pay attention to Rob's "from the warehouse" posts where he chimes in on what he sees coming in that's good to get or avoid.  If you're curious about older stock and vintages, there are some threads about that on FOH you can search through. Keep in mind, opinions, palates and biases vary.  :)

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, bundwallah said:

There is no shortcut here.  Factory/Date codes that are great or mediocre only get figured out over time based on feedback from people on sites like this or others.  Some folks like to chase certain factories to ensure "quality".  It's all a crapshoot really.  Your best bet is to pay attention to Rob's "from the warehouse" posts where he chimes in on what he sees coming in that's good to get or avoid.  If you're curious about older stock and vintages, there are some threads about that on FOH you can search through. Keep in mind, opinions, palates and biases vary.  :)

Understood. Thanks for the reply. I appreciate this thread. I have learned a lot on this site, and will continue to read up. Trying to avoid buying some sticks that may taste like buns, but realize everyone is different. So much different than NCs!!