Recommended Posts

  • Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For Newcomers only.  No question will go unanswered. No smartarse comments, no reference to using the search engine. We will answer each and every one...as many times as necessary  We were a

This is good policy.    If "newb" questions bother you, better to move along rather than offer up snarky comments.

Make sure the RH in the box (and the room it is in) is lower than that of your humidor! Especially if it has been raining for a few days. People sometimes forget or don't realise their home could have

10 minutes ago, richardw said:

Thanks! I read about the water spots and was hoping that was the case. Wanted to be sure before I moved them from initial quarantine to join friends. 

If those were mine, I wouldn't think twice about throwing them in with their friends. To be safe, you could always gently wipe it to see if it goes away. If it does go away, it was mold lol. But my guess is that nothing will happen, you'll forget about these and never worry about those spots in the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all, can someone help confirm. On place orders after the 24:24 thread has been uploaded, can you email Diana directly with an order before it is posted in the store or do you have to wait until it hits the store and check out by cart? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FOH Fan said:

Hey all, can someone help confirm. On place orders after the 24:24 thread has been uploaded, can you email Diana directly with an order before it is posted in the store or do you have to wait until it hits the store and check out by cart? 

I'm not sure what you mean by "hits the store"? 24:24 doesn't go from 24:24 to the store. That's not how it works. If it sells out, it sells out

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Derboesekoenig said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "hits the store"? 24:24 doesn't go from 24:24 to the store. That's not how it works. If it sells out, it sells 

My question is, when the new 24:24 list is posted in the thread before you can actually place items in your cart, is it possible to email Diana for orders, or due you need to place them in your cart when they are available and check out. 

I thought I read somewhere that you can email her with a detailed message of what you want to purchase. I want to make sure I understand that correctly 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Evening/afternoon/morning all. 

Is there any way to 'rescue' a majorly cracked foot on a cigar? I have a box which appears to have been packed so tight that the outer cigars have been badly damaged at the feet. It's OK if not: very pleased to get the box and look forward to smoking at least 21 of them, but it would be nice if anybody had any repair tips.

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Shatner's Bassoon said:

Evening/afternoon/morning all. 

Is there any way to 'rescue' a majorly cracked foot on a cigar? I have a box which appears to have been packed so tight that the outer cigars have been badly damaged at the feet. It's OK if not: very pleased to get the box and look forward to smoking at least 21 of them, but it would be nice if anybody had any repair tips.

Thanks.

Depends on the damage. If it is just the wrappers I wouldn't worry about it. You could use cigar glue, but I usually just ignore it and smoke it as is. If the binder is damaged, just take a double blade cutter and cut the damaged part off before lighting up. make sure it is a sharp cutter, because a dull blade unravel the rest of the wrapper.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cracked feet rarely pose a problem for me when smoking. Even a large crack will eventually sort itself out after you burn past the crack. However, it you are really concerned about it unravelling, either use cigar glue or use rolling paper in a pinch. Just wrap the foot with rolling paper and smoke away.

Link to post
Share on other sites

How long is acceptable for cigars to be in the mail before having to worrying about the condition of those cigars?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RD_26 said:

How long is acceptable for cigars to be in the mail before having to worrying about the condition of those cigars?

How long is a piece of string? 

Seriously, though, there are too many variables to give you a proper answer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick question on long-term storing/aging cigars ... I know the typical consensus is 62-65% Rh for Cubans, but I noticed that most boxes on FoH auctions lists a storage humidity of 68%. If you are aging a box for many years, is it better to have a higher humidity ? Thanks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jaesian said:

Quick question on long-term storing/aging cigars ... I know the typical consensus is 62-65% Rh for Cubans, but I noticed that most boxes on FoH auctions lists a storage humidity of 68%. If you are aging a box for many years, is it better to have a higher humidity ? Thanks. 

The general consensus on this forum sways to the following, and I tend to concur:

long term storage: ~66%-68%

short term storage a.k.a. smoking stock: 62%-64%

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jaesian said:

Quick question on long-term storing/aging cigars ... I know the typical consensus is 62-65% Rh for Cubans, but I noticed that most boxes on FoH auctions lists a storage humidity of 68%. If you are aging a box for many years, is it better to have a higher humidity ? Thanks. 

Nothing was mentioned in your post about temp. This is what I know temp/rh relationship matters. If you get your humidity up to 68% you need to lower that temp to 60-64 degrees F.  I don’t know what your temp is. All the aged boxes on FOH Auctions are kept at 60F, 68RH. I believe those aged boxes range somewhere about 3-7+ years. I live is South Florida (with the ac running 90% of the year) and while I may not be a connoisseur the way I store my cigars in a tupperdor (Ziploc Weathershield Storage box) with 62% Boveda packs. The number of packs I use depends on the size of the tupperdor. The more packs in there the less they are depleted and the longer they last. But back to temps and RH......my RH stays at a solid 62% and my temp stays at 71-73 degrees F. I have some boxes that are from 2016 and some from 2018. All smoke great. I guess if you live in an area where you have cold winters and hot summers you would want to buy an electric humidor to keep a steady temp and RH all year round. Colder temp/higher RH for aging I would guess since FOH Auctions keep them that way. But I must say, the way I keep my cigars, temp & RH, there is a big difference in body and taste as time passes. They seem to age well.  They mellow out and flavors are great. I TRY to keep it simple.

 

15 hours ago, RD_26 said:

How long is acceptable for cigars to be in the mail before having to worrying about the condition of those cigars?

Whether you get them in 7 days or 30 days put them in your humidor to rest for 60-90 days. Let them acclimate to a steady temp and RH. Smoke one as soon as you get them, then smoke another after 60-90 days. You will see a difference in the burn and flavor in most cases. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jal154 said:

Nothing was mentioned in your post about temp. This is what I know temp/rh relationship matters. If you get your humidity up to 68% you need to lower that temp to 60-64 degrees F.  I don’t know what your temp is. All the aged boxes on FOH Auctions are kept at 60F, 68RH. I believe those aged boxes range somewhere about 3-7+ years. I live is South Florida (with the ac running 90% of the year) and while I may not be a connoisseur the way I store my cigars in a tupperdor (Ziploc Weathershield Storage box) with 62% Boveda packs. The number of packs I use depends on the size of the tupperdor. The more packs in there the less they are depleted and the longer they last. But back to temps and RH......my RH stays at a solid 62% and my temp stays at 71-73 degrees F. I have some boxes that are from 2016 and some from 2018. All smoke great. I guess if you live in an area where you have cold winters and hot summers you would want to buy an electric humidor to keep a steady temp and RH all year round. Colder temp/higher RH for aging I would guess since FOH Auctions keep them that way. But I must say, the way I keep my cigars, temp & RH, there is a big difference in body and taste as time passes. They seem to age well.  They mellow out and flavors are great. I TRY to keep it simple.

Fair point. The average temp I’m reading is 65 F. So I will consider that with that, I can keep the Rh closer to 65-66% range and as spring and summer come I can swap out lower boveda packs to accommodate the higher temperatures. Thanks for the feedback. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jaesian said:

Fair point. The average temp I’m reading is 65 F. So I will consider that with that, I can keep the Rh closer to 65-66% range and as spring and summer come I can swap out lower boveda packs to accommodate the higher temperatures. Thanks for the feedback. 

Obviously numerous points of contention on the topic of 'ideal conditions', but it's also worth noting that most people drop the RH when they're encountering burn issues, and if you're aging your cigars the burn isn't an immediate concern.  I tend to believe that tobacco is likely slightly better preserved when stored at the higher end of the 'safe' humidity spectrum (68-70) and at moderate temperatures (60-65F).  Regardless, I doubt you'll notice a drastic difference in the way your cigars age as long as you're in the 60-70/60-70 range, so unless you're super serious about doing some super serious aging and insist on maintaining 100% control over the aging environment, it's probably not a huge deal (and if you do decide to go down that road, you might also want to experiment with vacuum sealing)... just try to avoid dramatic shifts in RH or temp, because these can lead to a variety of issues (I've had cigars spontaneously mold when the temperature drops in the winter, and I think this has to do with the moisture being forced out of the air and into the tobacco).  Additionally, you can always store your aging sticks/boxes at a higher RH than you store your smoking sticks if you want.  Just allow your cigars to acclimate to your preferred smoking conditions for a few weeks before you light up. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2020 at 9:51 AM, Jal154 said:

Smoke one as soon as you get them, 

Thank goodness. I thought I would be taxed beyond my ability. I can put a box down for as long as needed, but asking me not to smoke at least one Siglo IV or Monte#2 ROTT, calls for more willpower than I will ever possess.  ???

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2020 at 5:25 AM, Rabbi said:

Thank goodness. I thought I would be taxed beyond my ability. I can put a box down for as long as needed, but asking me not to smoke at least one Siglo IV or Monte#2 ROTT, calls for more willpower than I will ever possess.  ???

Buy a box and a 5er or quarter box at the same time so you can scratch the itch and leave your box intact. IMO more is always better.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2020 at 8:42 AM, Burningman said:

Buy a box and a 5er or quarter box at the same time so you can scratch the itch and leave your box intact. IMO more is always better.

Good advice, sir. I must say that today’s 24:24 certainly made it easy. I did have to grab a full box of 10 of the P2s.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a “technical difficulty/support” thread posted/pinned anywhere? Using the search engine, I got a hit for technical support for the auctions. It looked as if that thread was when the auctions first went live. My issue with checking out was cleared up quickly, but I ran afoul of the rules by asking about it in the 24:24 thread.

One other 24:24 question; where can I find my orders through Diana archived? Everything I have purchased through the stores, including 24:24 offerings show in “my orders,” but nothing I bought through email.

A huge shout out and thanks to all who have helped,

Rabbi

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.