Recommended Posts

What are some of the brands/sizes you would or wouldn’t buy blind?

As a newbie excited to try everything I go back and forth on whether I should just order what I think I want or wait for them to pop up on 24:24. I don’t like samplers, I want to learn about each cigar as time goes along and find my sweet spot with each one. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kart339 said:

Thanks for the heads up. I will get a cell phone pic when I get back home. It was obvious when you placed the two Montes right next to each other that one was curving away in the middle. Weird.

Not weird....common. :D

Some are crooked. 

Some are fat as fools

Others look they have been on a diet. 

It is Cuban cigars. Thank  God they are as tasty as hell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, El Presidente said:

If it were myself I would

  • avoid purchasing the "big sellers' blind. Monte 2/4  Partagas D4 etc
  • avoid purchasing "challenging" (difficult to roll) cigars blind.  Lancero/Panetela etc. 
  • avoid purchasing cigars that are out of love blind. Sancho/Vegas Robaina
  • Avoid purchasing anything made at the Pinar Factory Francisco Donatien blind. That means Trinidad as well as the two above. 
  • Avoid purchasing expensive cigars blind. 

Outside of that you are good to go :rolleyes:

Remember, most vendors are happy to help out. 

How do you distinguish the Pindar Factory FD by code?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If it were myself I would
  • avoid purchasing the "big sellers' blind. Monte 2/4  Partagas D4 etc
  • avoid purchasing "challenging" (difficult to roll) cigars blind.  Lancero/Panetela etc. 
  • avoid purchasing cigars that are out of love blind. Sancho/Vegas Robaina
  • Avoid purchasing anything made at the Pinar Factory Francisco Donatien blind. That means Trinidad as well as the two above. 
  • Avoid purchasing expensive cigars blind. 
Outside of that you are good to go :rolleyes:
Remember, most vendors are happy to help out. 

This is some super helpful advice for a noob like myself.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MDC81 said:

What are some of the brands/sizes you would or wouldn’t buy blind?

As a newbie excited to try everything I go back and forth on whether I should just order what I think I want or wait for them to pop up on 24:24. I don’t like samplers, I want to learn about each cigar as time goes along and find my sweet spot with each one. 

 

You’ll significantly increase you chances of quality stock purchasing through FoH as they work hard to separate quality stock from shit but nothing is perfect. I purchase most of my cigars from here, maybe 80%, and I think that speaks for itself. But there are other quality vendors out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Buck14 said:

You’ll significantly increase you chances of quality stock purchasing through FoH as they work hard to separate quality stock from shit but nothing is perfect. I purchase most of my cigars from here, maybe 80%, and I think that speaks for itself. But there are other quality vendors out there.

I didn’t realize until the response from El Pres that buying blind meant using a different vendor. I thought buying blind included using the FOH Int’l Store. I understand my mistake but still ended up with some great information. I’ve had a wonderful experience here, been a member for about a month and haven’t used any other vendor.

My question arose because I’m dying to try Juan Lopez No 1 and No 2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is buying from c***int considered buying blind, or blind-ish?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, MDC81 said:

I didn’t realize until the response from El Pres that buying blind meant using a different vendor. I thought buying blind included using the FOH Int’l Store. I understand my mistake but still ended up with some great information. I’ve had a wonderful experience here, been a member for about a month and haven’t used any other vendor.

My question arose because I’m dying to try Juan Lopez No 1 and No 2. 

I wouldn’t hesitate to pull the trigger on a box of each from the store here.  Or else you could order a 5 pack of each to try out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So...

I had to move to a place where I can’t control my own AC. Temp is about 72 Fahrenheit...starting to get paranoid about beetles.

I usually keep my humidity around 65-67 and temp as low as 65-67 back home.

Do I have any reason to worry with temp being about 72 steady???

Thanks brothers


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, crking3 said:

So...

I had to move to a place where I can’t control my own AC. Temp is about 72 Fahrenheit...starting to get paranoid about beetles.

I usually keep my humidity around 65-67 and temp as low as 65-67 back home.

Do I have any reason to worry with temp being about 72 steady???

Thanks brothers


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had 4 humidors in the same room of my condo for the past 2 years...

1. 46 qt. Tupperdor

2. Two 10-12 qt. Tupperdors

3. One Wooden Desktop Humi 100-125 stick count 

The year round temperature in my room ranges between 68-73F. I keep Relative Humidity of between 64-68% and I’ve never had a beetle problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible to find a box from a specific month/year? How can I begin searching? 

My son was born August of 2015. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, MDC81 said:

Is it possible to find a box from a specific month/year? How can I begin searching? 

My son was born August of 2015. 

 

Simply ask your retailer what you’re looking for. But place a higher priority on requesting quality over date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In 24:24 listings there’s always a line that reads “Aged stock has been held by ourselves or sourced from PCC“. What’s PCC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, nvrp813 said:

In 24:24 listings there’s always a line that reads “Aged stock has been held by ourselves or sourced from PCC“. What’s PCC?

Pacific Cigar Company - exclusive distributors for the Asia Pacific region - and FOH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BTWheezy said:

Is buying from c***int considered buying blind, or blind-ish?

Everything we send out is inspected by the team.  

24:24 is 95% of the time set aside/selected by myself.  

Plenty of stock I select never sees 24;24 and is sent out via the cart. 

Fails are sold as wholesale or seconds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

I'm no expert and everyone will have an opinion on this topic but here is mine.

When cigars come in, regardless of age and box code, they get stuck in the coolidor for 30-90 days.  After they have had time to acclimate to my preferred storage conditions (62rh/70f), I usually pull a couple out and put them in my smoking humidor.  If they are good, they get smoked at my leisure.  If they are not to my taste, I let them sit and revisit every 6 months or so until they do.  Some cigars will smoke great straight away and some need some time.  I find there is really no rhyme or reason and even the same cigar with a similar age don't necessarily smoke the same.

I'd base my decision on what to smoke on your personal tastes, not the age or box code.  I'd be smoking one or two of each of those boxes and making my decision based on what your own taste buds tell you.

What he said

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I store my cigars in their original boxes in a wineador at 68f and 64rh. I use Boveda 65rh packs to maintain humidity. Lately, I’ve noticed that some of the cigar bands are very loose, much looser than when the boxes were first delivered. Are the loose bands a sign that I am storing my cigars wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, omgpauljr said:

I store my cigars in their original boxes in a wineador at 68f and 64rh. I use Boveda 65rh packs to maintain humidity. Lately, I’ve noticed that some of the cigar bands are very loose, much looser than when the boxes were first delivered. Are the loose bands a sign that I am storing my cigars wrong?

Nope. As cigars lose moisture, they shrink. Most of my cigars that I've stored for years have loose bands. I keep my RH around 62-65.

The more important question is, "How are your cigars smoking?". If you are enjoying them, don't change anything.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Projectal said:

I think many here will say that’s a sign of you storing them right, but it’s all about personal preference. How are they smoking?

 

3 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Nope. As cigars lose moisture, they shrink. Most of my cigars that I've stored for years have loose bands. I keep my RH around 62-65.

The more important question is, "How are your cigars smoking?". If you are enjoying them, don't change anything.

Thanks for the advice Projectal, and Fuzz. My cigars are smoking great, especially considering that they’re mostly young. But what throws me off is that sometimes there’s a slight difference in taste within the same box, but I suppose that’s normal because it’s a handmade product and not because of storage conditions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, omgpauljr said:

 But what throws me off is that sometimes there’s a slight difference in taste within the same box, but I suppose that’s normal because it’s a handmade product and not because of storage conditions. 

Cigars on the rolling table are graded to colour.  Hence your box of cigars could have been rolled by a host of different rollers on the day.  You will find that cigars will taste more consistent within a box with a little age. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fitzy said:

If a cigar has an ammonia taste/smell in the second half is that due to lack of aging?

That has been my experience. I have never tasted ammonia in a Cuban Cigar that is at least 18 months old. But within the first 18 months I will sometimes taste ammonia and I just let that box sit for another 60-90 days and taste another one to see if the ammonia is gone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.