Here is a link I found searching Freezing Cigars.  I have a regular home freezer so I left them for 6 days.  In the tread there is some data on freezer temp and time. Basically the colder the freezer, the less time needed. 

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For Newcomers only.  No question will go unanswered. No smartarse comments, no reference to using the search engine. We will answer each and every one...as many times as necessary  We were a

This is good policy.    If "newb" questions bother you, better to move along rather than offer up snarky comments.

Make sure the RH in the box (and the room it is in) is lower than that of your humidor! Especially if it has been raining for a few days. People sometimes forget or don't realise their home could have

On 3/29/2018 at 7:46 AM, Isaac said:

Why do people shrink wrap boxes for long term ageing?  Is it the same as vacuum packing the box?  How will the cigar vary from those that aren’t shrink wrapped?

The theory is that reducing the oxygen flow delivers a better (richer) aged cigar experience. It is also a little slower.  Many members here subscribe to the process. I don't do it for any other reason that I like my aged cigars at that 5-10 year mark and have no reason to extend that time line for a proposed benefit. 

Could someone please explain what the coloured stickers mean on the boxes of 24:24 orders? I understand that they separate PSP, HQ, PE etc. but which colour applies to what?

Also with regards to a resting period of 30 days, to and impatient sod like myself it really sounds excessive. Is it really necessary? I used to order all my cigars from Switzerland and the recommendation there was usually a week

Thanks
George

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, George-eed said:

Could someone please explain what the coloured stickers mean on the boxes of 24:24 orders? I understand that they separate PSP, HQ, PE etc. but which colour applies to what?

Also with regards to a resting period of 30 days, to and impatient sod like myself it really sounds excessive. Is it really necessary? I used to order all my cigars from Switzerland and the recommendation there was usually a week

Thanks
George

Rob has stated in other threads but I cant seem to find any to link for you.  I think I remember him saying that the stickers are for quality boxes he puts aside for 24:24 and the color of the sticker is usually whatever is close by at the moment.  I am sure Rob will give a better explanation but that is what I recall.

As for the time to let cigars rest, it is really up to you.  Do an experiment.  Try one after a week, then 30 days and then 60 days.  See if you can tell a difference.  I know that I can.

Cigars can go through "shipping shock".  I find that giving them some time to get over the jet lag makes a difference.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, George-eed said:

Thanks
George

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sticker colours change occasionally, depending on what is on sale at Officeworks! :P

Considering the length of travel time, and the numerous changes in temp/RH that the package will go through, it is prudent (in my opinion) to allow your cigars to acclimatise to your storage conditions. For cigars coming from overseas, I'd say one week is not enough time.

11 minutes ago, Jal154 said:

Trying to find the pinned posts for 24:24 on this. Where the heck is the pinned post? ?

As in the grading system?

28 minutes ago, Jal154 said:

Trying to find the pinned posts for 24:24 on this. Where the heck is the pinned post? ?

24:24 posts are pinned in the "Water Hole" forum, but are changed constantly, as they are posted Mon-Fri.

I was curious about the Robs rotation sampler. Its not in the store anymore and wondered if it is discontinued? Also does the new to Cuban cigar sampler change based on availability? Just curious. Thinking about getting one. Thanks

12 minutes ago, Lucass111 said:

I was curious about the Robs rotation sampler. Its not in the store anymore and wondered if it is discontinued? Also does the new to Cuban cigar sampler change based on availability? Just curious. Thinking about getting one. Thanks

You can find the sampler contents here:

As far as I'm aware, the content only differs from the list, if a certain cigar is unavailable at the moment.

1 hour ago, zking said:

When you guys get a box of CC in do you toss them in the freezer to prevent beetles before sticking them in your humidor

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Personally I do not, as Cubans that are exported are frozen before hand. Custom rolls and cigars bought from Cuba get the cold treatment! 

• Like 1

When you guys get a box of CC in do you toss them in the freezer to prevent beetles before sticking them in your humidor

I think it depends on where you’re going to be storing them. I have a wineador now which means I have a set temp that never fluctuates and never goes above 68 so I don’t freeze them. But when I had a regular humidor I did.

7 hours ago, Lucass111 said:

Can I get a few opinions on the new to Cuban cigar sampler. Do you guys think it's worth it and a good deal or no? Thanks

Yes, worth it and a good deal.  You're not going to get any "bad" deals here.  If you decide to jump on it, put them away for 6-8 weeks at low 60's rH/68-70dF before you dig in.   

I have been in the process of restocking my humidor in the past few months, and I failed to pull the trigger on Cohiba Lanceros when I made a large purchase back in March. I sorely regret my decision and now they are sold out everywhere. Is there a reason for the dearth of Lanceros or is it just the usual ebb and flow of product supply?

8 minutes ago, Blazekat said:

I have been in the process of restocking my humidor in the past few months, and I failed to pull the trigger on Cohiba Lanceros when I made a large purchase back in March. I sorely regret my decision and now they are sold out everywhere. Is there a reason for the dearth of Lanceros or is it just the usual ebb and flow of product supply?

Great question! Mostly supply and demand. The market is gravitating toward phat and phallic cigars these days, orders for the glorious long and skinnies are not what they used to be. Love a great Lancero. For the money/value and similarish format, give Por Larranaga Monte Carlo a try. I do enjoy them so. 

2 minutes ago, Ethernut said:

Great question! Mostly supply and demand. The market is gravitating toward phat and phallic cigars these days, orders for the glorious long and skinnies are not what they used to be. Love a great Lancero. For the money/value and similarish format, give Por Larranaga Monte Carlo a try. I do enjoy them so. 

Thanks very much! I am going to take that recommendation and run with it!

59 minutes ago, zking said:

What is a good $2-$3 CC? if there is such one?

We call them C&C’s (cheap and cheerfuls). There’s a whole section of the forum dedicated to them. I’m partial to Por Larranaga.

http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/forum/26-quotcheap-amp-cheerfulquot/

Ok so I need help badly! All my cigars are smoking terribly! My hygros are all recalibrated and I am making sure to not smoke too fast. My cigars seem to be burning really hot from the start. It seems like they don't light very easy either. After a few light puffs the ember on the cigar is glowing and it gets rock hard. The cigar then turns almost un-smokeable. Does this sound like a case of under humidifier or over humidifier? I'm super stumped and hope I didnt ruin all my stock. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Ok so I need help badly! All my cigars are smoking terribly! My hygros are all recalibrated and I am making sure to not smoke too fast. My cigars seem to be burning really hot from the start. It seems like they don't light very easy either. After a few light puffs the ember on the cigar is glowing and it gets rock hard. The cigar then turns almost un-smokeable. Does this sound like a case of under humidifier or over humidifier? I'm super stumped and hope I didnt ruin all my stock. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

First, I would say refer to other RH/Humidity/Storage threads. Piggy seems to be an authority on all things related to moisture and such.
Secondly, I’d ask how long you’ve had said cigars and how are they being stored? My experience is when my cigars are burning funny I dry box them. I’ve recently lowered my RH from 65 to 62 using Boveda. YMMV...

1 hour ago, Lucass111 said:

This is more of a post for the forum but you will need to disclose, what cigars, provenance, how have they been stored and how long. 

Generally if all cigars are smoking poorly, then the problem is either your stock, your  storage conditions or you. Have you been ill of late?...etc