So what is the NC cigar that comes closest

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For me it tends to be the mild-to-medium, more refined (relatively speaking) Nicaraguans. Several of the Tatuaje Brown Label vitolas or various Illusione (like the eccj 15 or the original Documents Se

Maya Selva Flor del Selva and Warped La Colmena. Have posted about both here in the past

Illusione's few offerings like the Fume de Amour smells and somewhat tastes like Cubans. Just far better construction   I had a box of the Fume Lanceros..  wonderful stuff!!  

The most cubanesque NCs I've had were some Bespoke Grand Cafe from 2016. I had planned to stock up on them, but then I found FOH.

7 hours ago, Islandboy said:

After a horrible experience last night with my first La Colmena Black Honey, I need to point out that the La Colmena I speak of above that I find “cubanesque” is the No. 44, roughly the same size as a Coloniales (almost a look-a-like, actually).

Man, that Black Honey was absolutely awful! It was obviously too young, but the disappointment goes way beyond that. After I clipped it, it drew air like a straw....the most overly-open cigar ever. I was an inch into it in about 5 minutes. And it so completely lacked taste and aroma, I doubt any amount of time would have helped. The most prominent taste was burning paper. Guess I’ll throw the remaining 4 in the back of the humidor and try to forget how much I plunked down for a fiver.

The ones I've referred too were the Amados.

Black Honey is a significantly different blend.

For me, I don't smoke NC to try and find ones that "come close" to Cubans. They offer a different flavor profile that Cubans do not offer. If I want Cuban, I smoke Cuban. When I want something different I go NC. My NC has narrowed a lot since starting cc though. There is a lot of junk in the NC world, and I tend to stick with illusione, tatuaje, padron, zino/davidoff, or stuff that's really aged. It's nice to know that the blend is always spot on and there is near zero chance of getting a plugged or overly tight draw, something cc just can't deliver on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Opus X Belicoso XXX.
I'm smoking one right now. I don't think it comes close to any Cuban, but it is a fantastic cigar. Not for the faint of heart, or haters of nicotine and pepper!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, prodigy said:

I'm smoking one right now. I don't think it comes close to any Cuban, but it is a fantastic cigar. Not for the faint of heart, or haters of nicotine and pepper!

Reminds me of a Boli BF.

I've found AJ Fernandez Enclave and Last Call to be very close.  Most NC these days are very strong and often one-dimensional.  Those two come in a little more med-full and open up the tastebuds a bit.  They have that sourdough taste that one often associates with Partagas.

20 minutes ago, Avrus said:

Atabey. Nothing else is remotely close IMO.

While I enjoy all the Warped stuff out of Casa Fernandez, and Aganorsa tobacco is delicious, it isn't that close in terms of flavor profile with Cuban tobacco.

Pricing from Atabey is mindblowing -- I've heard people compare them to Behikes. Can you comment on that?

2 minutes ago, PrairieSmoke said:

Pricing from Atabey is mindblowing -- I've heard people compare them to Behikes. Can you comment on that?

Apples and oranges. If you were to say Atabey being to NC as Behike is to CCs? That's a fair comparison IMO. The packaging from Selected Tobaccos is heads above anything else in the industry, and their construction and presentation is flawless. 

I'll put it to you this way: After having the Atabey Misticos, I was (and still am) seriously considering paying for the humidor release of these.

1 minute ago, Avrus said:

Apples and oranges. If you were to say Atabey being to NC as Behike is to CCs? That's a fair comparison IMO. The packaging from Selected Tobaccos is heads above anything else in the industry, and their construction and presentation is flawless. 

I'll put it to you this way: After having the Atabey Misticos, I was (and still am) seriously considering paying for the humidor release of these.

Appreciate that input. 100% agree with their presentation, glad to hear they smoke so well to boot!

Regius Black Label Petit Corona. The first time I had one I thought if I was smoking this blind, I'd swear it was HDM Du Prince. It is a Nicaraguan Puro blended for the European market initially. So I guess they had to make it "Cubanesque" to appeal to that market.

• Like 2

Regius Black Label Petit Corona. The first time I had one I thought if I was smoking this blind, I'd swear it was HDM Du Prince. It is a Nicaraguan Puro blended for the European market initially. So I guess they had to make it "Cubanesque" to appeal to that market.
I have a lot of friends who really swear by the Regius line and its different flavor profiles. The blue, red, white, black, and gold lines, along with their double banded presentation really look nice too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Most of the cigars listed have far too much pepper to ever trick a Cuban smoker.  The strength is usually a dead give away too.  The closest I've smoked was Ezra Zion's Bees Knees.  It still has a bit of spice but with a couple of years of age would do the trick

7 hours ago, Avrus said:

Atabey. Nothing else is remotely close IMO.

While I enjoy all the Warped stuff out of Casa Fernandez, and Aganorsa tobacco is delicious, it isn't that close in terms of flavor profile with Cuban tobacco.

Agree on Atabey, but the beehive line from warped definitely reminds me of H. Upmann Cubans. If only atabey didn’t want $30 a stick...

• Like 1