planetary

Your Personal Top 10 for 2017 (Belated!)

Recommended Posts

@JohnS has reminded me that we never had a thread to assemble the community's top 10 cigars of 2017.  Let's address that, shall we?  Better late than never! :thumbsup:  To paraphrase @El Presidente from last year, gently updated:

Fill us in as to what were your Top 10 of 2017......the 10 cigars (or less if need be) that consistently rocked your world, floated your boat.

If you can ...keep it from 2014 to now in terms of production.  If you have to slide an older stick in...no problem as this is really about what has been sensational for you this year. 

Looking forward to reading your thoughts!

And I'll gladly summarize the results, natch!

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was wondering if this thread had been started and I missed it. Looking forward to seeing everyone’s picks!

1. CoRo BTO OCT 12

2. LGC Medaille d’or No. 4 ETP SEP 15

3. HU Mag 56 TOS DIC 15

4. Dip 2 TOS SEP 16

5. HdM Du Prince RAE AGO 15

6. SLR Regios ORG SEP 16

7. RASS BMS AUG 15

8. Punch Punch ALO ABR 16

9. RASCC ULA JUL 15

10. Alex Corona Gordas (2017)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In no particular order (Ill try and remember to add box codes later but all 2014+ I would have thought):

 

1. Cohiba robusto

2. Rafael gonzalaz petit corona

3. Rafael gonzalaz perlas

4. H Upmann Magnum 54

5. H upmann connoisseur no 1

6. Cohiba siglo II

7. Partagas Lusitanias

8. Juan Lopez no 2

9. RASS

10. Vegeuros maniatas

 

 

Honourable mention - Punch Punch 48

 

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No particular order:

Cuaba Distinguidos 17

HU Connie A 16/17

HU Connie 1 17

RASCC 17

RA Superiores 17

RG Perlas 16

RyJ Capuletos 16

Edmundo Dantes Belicoso 16

QdO 54 17

LGC MdO 4 17

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. SCdlH La Punta EML 15

2. Cohiba Magicos SOM 16

3. Upmann Connie 1 MEG 17

4. Cohiba Siglo IV AMO 16

5. Upmann Mag46 LUB 15

6. Trinidad Reyes RMU 16

7. Padron 1964 Exclusivo Maduro

8. PSP2 ETP 16

9. PLMC EML 15

10. Fonseca No. 1 UME 15

The La Punta and Magicos were both sublime, but the former had me dreaming about it for weeks. The Connie 1 I had ROTT and made me ecstatic that the 3 blind boxes all had the same codes and were PSP quality.  

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...what about this one....? Somehow died down and had never been "wrapped up"...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Fugu said:

...what about this one....? Somehow died down and had never been "wrapped up"...

I thought about that, but it's not the same as a top 10 list, as it doesn't give folks room to include a range of cigars that they enjoyed in the year. 

...One thing I could do is scrape that thread for anyone who doesn't offer votes here, and add them to this tally at the end.  Hmm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My top 10 cigars 2017 based on flavour
1. RASS ETP ENE 17 
2. San Cristobal el Principe TOS JUN 16
3. Bolivar Tubos No 1 ULA JUN 16
4. Robaina Don Alejandro BMP JUN 16
5. Romeo y Julieta Churchill OBM DIC 16
6. H Upmann Connie A LUB AGO 14
7. Cohiba Robusto AMO MAR 16
8. H.Upmann Noella MEG NOV 15 
9. Cohiba Siglo III LAU DIC 16
10. Juan Lopez Seleccion Number 2 TPO JUN 17

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My list:

1. H. Upmann Connoisseur A (LUB MAR/APR 15)
A consistent stunner.  I'll reach for these any time, any where.

2. H. Upmann Magnum 50 (MUL MAR 15, BUM DEC 14)
Came out of nowhere for me; I didn't like the previous examples I smoked, with under 2 years of age.  But now, suddenly, delights galore!

3. Cohiba Siglo IV (MEL OCT 08)
My favorite Cohiba of the year, certainly the best performing of those I'm willing to smoke while all the rest are tucked away and aging.

4. H. Upmann Magnum 56 (TOS NOV 15)
A spectacular cigar with a terrible ring gauge.

5. Por Larranaga Montecarlos (EML MAY 15)
It was @Danimalia who turned me on to these.  They have proven to be delicious, and their form factor is a welcome departure from the market trend.

6. Cohiba Siglo VI (LRE MAR 09)
Alluring flavor profile, and I think @JohnS may be right when he says it's not exactly like the other Siglos...

7. Diplomaticos No. 2 (TOS DEC 15)
Delicious, and mostly consistent.  Not a "journey" cigar for me, but a great flavor profile that hits the spot when you're in the mood for it.

8. Montecristo No. 2 (ORA MAY 14)
Comfort food, pure and simple.

9. Por Larranaga Petit Coronas (EML MAR 15)
In 2017, my cabinet moved past the 3-year age mark, and the cigars are coming along nicely, with the sugar building.  I need more.

10. Cohiba Shorts (no code)
@Lotusguy's recommendations put these in my humidor.  Their convenience and shockingly good flavor puts them on my list.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Fugu said:

...what about this one....? Somehow died down and had never been "wrapped up"...

 

 

10 hours ago, planetary said:

I thought about that, but it's not the same as a top 10 list, as it doesn't give folks room to include a range of cigars that they enjoyed in the year. 

...One thing I could do is scrape that thread for anyone who doesn't offer votes here, and add them to this tally at the end.  Hmm.

I had forgotten about that thread until I remembered it and realised that I had voted for my favourite cigars for 2017 up to that time and this poll forced me into a re-think, based on voting over a range of cigars plus the extra cigars I had time for in the warmer months prior to Christmas. The other thing was the fact that I wanted to steer away from favourites I gravitate to such as the Diplomaticos No.2, the Partagas Lusitanias, San Cristobal de La Habana El Principe and Montecristo No.2 for example.

9 hours ago, FatPete said:

My top 10 cigars 2017 based on flavour
1. RASS ETP ENE 17 
2. San Cristobal el Principe TOS JUN 16
3. Bolivar Tubos No 1 ULA JUN 16
4. Robaina Don Alejandro BMP JUN 16
5. Romeo y Julieta Churchill OBM DIC 16
6. H Upmann Connie A LUB AGO 14
7. Cohiba Robusto AMO MAR 16
8. H.Upmann Noella MEG NOV 15 
9. Cohiba Siglo III LAU DIC 16
10. Juan Lopez Seleccion Number 2 TPO JUN 17

 

Great choices! I had a number of these myself which I deliberated with prior to choosing my final Top 10.

9 hours ago, planetary said:

My list:

1. H. Upmann Connoisseur A (LUB MAR/APR 15)
A consistent stunner.  I'll reach for these any time, any where.

2. H. Upmann Magnum 50 (MUL MAR 15, BUM DEC 14)
Came out of nowhere for me; I didn't like the previous examples I smoked, with under 2 years of age.  But now, suddenly, delights galore!

3. Cohiba Siglo IV (MEL OCT 08)
My favorite Cohiba of the year, certainly the best performing of those I'm willing to smoke while all the rest are tucked away and aging.

4. H. Upmann Magnum 56 (TOS NOV 15)
A spectacular cigar with a terrible ring gauge.

5. Por Larranaga Montecarlos (EML MAY 15)
It was @Danimalia who turned me on to these.  They have proven to be delicious, and their form factor is a welcome departure from the market trend.

6. Cohiba Siglo VI (LRE MAR 09)
Alluring flavor profile, and I think @JohnS may be right when he says it's not exactly like the other Siglos...

7. Diplomaticos No. 2 (TOS DEC 15)
Delicious, and mostly consistent.  Not a "journey" cigar for me, but a great flavor profile that hits the spot when you're in the mood for it.

8. Montecristo No. 2 (ORA MAY 14)
Comfort food, pure and simple.

9. Por Larranaga Petit Coronas (EML MAR 15)
In 2017, my cabinet moved past the 3-year age mark, and the cigars are coming along nicely, with the sugar building.  I need more.

10. Cohiba Shorts (no code)
@Lotusguy's recommendations put these in my humidor.  Their convenience and shockingly good flavor puts them on my list.

Yes, the Cohiba Siglo VI is the only one in the Linea 1492 range which is above a 50 ring gauge (indeed, it is 52/64s of an inch round and was considered a behemoth when first released in 2002, my how times have changed!). In my opinion, the blend is slightly different to the others and makes them stand out. I would, I believe, safely assume that they would sell easily, in a heartbeat, on 24:24 listings if they were readily available and not in hiatus due to shortage of leaf, no doubt. In other words, although I have no official data, I believe that the Siglo VI is in more demand and sells more annually than the other Siglos.

Kudos to you, @planetary for the Cohiba Shorts vote at 10. I almost did the very same. For me, it was the Cohiba Shorts or ERdM Demi Tasse. I concur, @Lotusguy introduced us all to a winner!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tracking sheet is up and running at https://goo.gl/f9QrqR

After the first couple days:

FOH Respondents 8
Votes Cast 83
Cigars Mentioned 59

New for 2017: I'm considering any honorable mentions as 10th place votes, thus the average votes/person is greater than 10.  :) 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very hard to put in order as I don't keep notes but these are the ones that spring to mind.

1 - Monte 5
2 - RACA
3 - PDS4
4 - Monte PE
5 - Rafael Gonzales Perlas
6 - Party Shorts
7 - HUHC
8 - RGPC
9 - .Bolivar Tubos no 1
10 -HdM du Prince (May 14)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MARCA OF THE YEAR:

Por Larranaga 

TOP TEN:

1. Vegas Robaina Famosos - SUE ABR 15

2. Juan Lopez Seleccion 2 - MEL FEB 17

3. RASS - TOR MAY 16

4. Por Larranaga Montecarlos - TOS FEB 17

5. Partagas Shorts - RAE ABR 15

6. Por Larranaga Picadores - EOT ABR 17

7. Bolivar Royal Corona - ETP NOV 16

8. Por Larranaga Petit Corona - TOS FEB 17

9. San Cristobal de la Habana El Principe - TOS MAY 16

10. Rafael Gonzalez Perlas - TEA SEP 15

****

THE SHITBAG THREE (aka most repulsive cigars of the year)

3. Partagas D4 - OBM APR 16

2. Romeo y Julieta Churchills - OBM MAY 17

1. Saint Luis Rey Regios - ORG SEP 15

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cohiba Esplendidos

El Rey del Mundo Grandes de España  and Tainos

Hoyo de Monterrey Churchills  

La Gloria Cubana Médaille d’Or no. 1, no.2 , no. 3 and Tainos

Montecristo  Double Edmundo (Upmann factory 2013):D

Por Larrañaga Lonsdales and Magnificos

Punch Monarcas 

Quai d’Orsay Grand Coronas, Panetelas and Imperiales

Sancho Panza Coronas Gigantes and Sanchos

Trinidad Robusto Extra 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TOP TEN

1. Cohiba Lanceros AMO Nov 16. Yes, they are worth 20+ bucks per

2. Cohiba Coronas Especiales LAU Nov 16. Shockingly good things can come in small packages. This is one of them.

3. Partagas 8-9-8 RAE Oct 14.  This batch from 14 packed the gloved power that current batches seem to me to lack.

4. Monte Tubos PMU Sep 14. Outstanding blend in a wonderful format.

5. PLPC EML May 14. The aging process is a marvel and to smoke a cab over time is to experience a fascinating series of revelations

6. Q d'O Coronas ULA May 14. Proof that mild cigars can captivate. 

7. Punch Punch BMS Feb 14. Whoever took over the blend of this cigar starting in 2014 deserves a medal

8. RA Club Allones AUM Jul 15.  Rounding into form. Will continue to evolve. Can't wait.

9. Partagas Serie E No. 2 ULA Jul 15. A blockbuster. Elegance, power, complexity.

10. Trinidad Reyes BMP Jun 16. If these were consistently as good as the last couple I have had, they would be in top 3 of my list.

DREADFUL DOS

1. Fonseca No. 1 UME Mar 15

2. RG PC Unknown code

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1.) H Upmann Connie A—RAE JUN15
2.) Cohiba Siglo 2—RAE JUN15
3.) H Upmann Sir Winston-ARG DIC14
4.) RYJ Capuletos—2016 Unk code
5.) Bolivar Tubos 1–ULA JUN14
6.) Bolivar Corona Gigan-ESO MAR15
7.) Partagas Lusitania—MUL SEP14
8.) Punch DC—TUP JUL15
9.) Punch Punch—SOM ABR16
10.) Cohiba Coronas Especiales-Unk 2015 Code, AUM I am sure just don’t know month.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In no particular order.

1. Juan Lopez No. 2

2. Monte PE

3. Monte No. 2

4. Vegas Robaina Unicos

5. PSD4

6. H. Upmann Connie A

7. RASS

8. H. Upmann Mag 50

9. Montecrsito Dantes

10. PLPC

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In no particular order:

1. SCdlH el morro 2012

2. SCdlH la punta 2016

3. CoRo BMP oct 16

4. Monte PE. MEL ABR 17

5. Connie A. MEG FEB 16

6. RyJ Churchill OBM DIC 16

7. Upmann PC TOS ENE 17

8. BBF ETP MAR 17

9. RYJ short Churchill PUO JUL 14

10. RA club allones LAU DIC 15



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The order is probably wrong, but here goes nonetheless ... 

1) Quai d'Orsay Imperiales ULA JUL 14

2) Montecristo 80 Anniversario ROM NOV 16

3) Partagas Lusitania LUB OCT 14

4) Punch Double Corona TUP OCT 14

5) H Upmann Sir Winston ROM ENE 16

6) Bolivar Corona Gigante PUR SEP 16

7) Diplomaticos No. 2 ETP JUL 14

8) Diplomaticos Excelencia SGA DIC 15

9) Rafael Gonzales Marquez Petit Corona RAE ABR 14

10) Romeo y Julieta Capuleto SOM JUL 16

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@havanaclub right there with you on the 2012 El Morro.  Left them off of my list due to age but agree they are superb!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[mention=30568]havanaclub[/mention] right there with you on the 2012 El Morro.  Left them off of my list due to age but agree they are superb!


Wish I had more. That 2012 was acquired through the boxpass Chris@chanceschmerr put on. It was phenomenal and I could not keep it off the list.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1.) MdO 4
2.) Lanceros
3.) Reyes '16
4.) Boli CG '15/'16
5.) Monte Esp 2
6.) RyJ Cazadores
7.) MdO 2 2013/14
8.) RA 898 ER
9.) Boli CJ (could be higher on this list were it not for the occasional constr. issues)
10.) HUPC / RASCC '15

Toss in the ConA somewhere in the above list. Though I realize I haven't smoked one in a while, so won't submit a vote. It's an excellent cigar, albeit it seems I am simply not digging the format, which seems keeping me from reaching for it more often.

Honorably mentioned: Always an asset, reliable to superb: Siglo 3 / CORO / RG PC / RG Perlas ('12) / RyJ Churchills / du Deputé / Noellas

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Fugu said:

Toss in the ConA somewhere in the above list. Though I realize I haven't smoked one in a while, so won't submit a vote. It's an excellent cigar, albeit it seems I am simply not digging the format, which seems keeping me from reaching for it more often.

Yeah.  Insert FOH Community Standard Rant #5.  Blargh.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.